JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

45 minutes ago, gwavz said:

Thanks for the help. The Audioquest HDMI is doing the job quite nicely at the moment :) 

Out of the box, the colours and contrast are quite good.

I have the JVC Calibration util downloaded ready to go, but have not yet acquired a SypderX or X-Rite. 

Where are people getting them from, or anyone in outer east Victoria have one to sell or borrow please?

hi gwavz, great the cable is working !  and its pretty decent out of box.

sorry i know quoted me but i cant help with regards spyder or xrite. I used to once own both and used spyder on last gen jvc and write on gen before. but have since moved on to pro calibration. I dont think an autocal = calibration. it really only whips gamma into shape back to factory so not much point doing an autocal on a brand new out of box unit i would suggest.

if wanting a full calibration with xrite its quite a steep learning curve. so unless planing on taking that up, can heartedly suggest a pro calibration....probably cost you same by time buy both meters !  some good calibrators around and some of us have used Tony at clarity when he comes around melbourne way, had mine done late last year and was over the moon with the result :)

Edited by betty boop

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. JVC N7 running nicely so far. Great picture and details.

Just a couple of questions for other owners please:

How's the fan noise when running HDR content in high lamp mode? Mine doesn't seem too bad when content is playing sound,  but with no sounds definitely noticeable.

And do any of you have a high pitched cricket like noise that can be heard? One of the Home Theatre guys on Youtube has had this before, and AVS forums are 50/50 on whether it's normal or not. Again, not a problem when watching things, but when there is no sound or a quiet scene, it's a tad annoying.

45 minutes ago, gwavz said:

Hello. JVC N7 running nicely so far. Great picture and details.

Just a couple of questions for other owners please:

How's the fan noise when running HDR content in high lamp mode? Mine doesn't seem too bad when content is playing sound,  but with no sounds definitely noticeable.

And do any of you have a high pitched cricket like noise that can be heard? One of the Home Theatre guys on Youtube has had this before, and AVS forums are 50/50 on whether it's normal or not. Again, not a problem when watching things, but when there is no sound or a quiet scene, it's a tad annoying.

Can hear the fan in high lamp mode during quiet scenes, can't say its bothered me. I don't have the high pitched sound as far as I am aware. Hope I don't notice it now ;)

I have just started looking to replace my X9000 and was looking at the N5 but some places are advertising DLA-NX5, does anyone know the differences between the DLA-N5 & DLA-NX5 or is just a typo. I've looked on the JVC web site and couldn't find any reference to the DLA-NX5. Thanks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, p.laver said:

I have just started looking to replace my X9000 and was looking at the N5 but some places are advertising DLA-NX5, does anyone know the differences between the DLA-N5 & DLA-NX5 or is just a typo. I've looked on the JVC web site and couldn't find any reference to the DLA-NX5. Thanks

no difference n5 nx5....  its just incorrect naming the on nx i beleive is the nx9 :) 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, p.laver said:

Same projector....N5 / NX5  😊

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, p.laver said:

Dont know if you can get a great deal on the N5 and are set on it Peter but with the 9000's great contrast [and possibly reliability vis a vis the N's] I would consider a lumagen 4242 at this price point with its plethora of features including DTM  , or at least drive a bargain with this possibility 😉

48 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Same projector....N5 / NX5  😊

Not sure why the yanks used the X in the 5 and 7, probably to keep in line with the 9 which is the NX9. Or maybe that is correct and we got it wrong here?

Though Europe named them like we did too https://de.jvc.com/files/catalogs/de/nx9n7n5-2020/index.html

image.png.a23de7e2238d181110d143561111d80f.png

22 hours ago, cwt said:

Dont know if you can get a great deal on the N5 and are set on it Peter but with the 9000's great contrast [and possibly reliability vis a vis the N's] I would consider a lumagen 4242 at this price point with its plethora of features including DTM  , or at least drive a bargain with this possibility 😉

Hi Colin, Thanks for the feedback, sadly my X9000 is now a very large paper weight. I've been looking around and the JVC still appears to be good upgrade but I am very wary of the JVC quality & reliability 

1 hour ago, p.laver said:

Hi Colin, Thanks for the feedback, sadly my X9000 is now a very large paper weight. I've been looking around and the JVC still appears to be good upgrade but I am very wary of the JVC quality & reliability 

Understand re the reliability ; helped steer me away at the price :)

Maybe consider a cheaper hi lumens for hdr projector and a lumagen package possibly at a negotiated lower price? so the lumagen can upgrade its processing ?  

Anyway will leave it there as it is the JVC thread :)

On 01/06/2021 at 6:16 PM, kudeta2003 said:

Can hear the fan in high lamp mode during quiet scenes, can't say its bothered me. I don't have the high pitched sound as far as I am aware. Hope I don't notice it now ;)

High lamp fan is fairly loud for me.

Sorry - I hope you don't hear the high pitched cricket noise.

Mine happens every minute or so but it's not straight away. Typically after a movie, and things have stopped. I first thought there's a cricket outside, but then it happened again during the day. 

I can't go anywhere to check showrooms to compare.

7 hours ago, gwavz said:

High lamp fan is fairly loud for me.

Sorry - I hope you don't hear the high pitched cricket noise.

Mine happens every minute or so but it's not straight away. Typically after a movie, and things have stopped. I first thought there's a cricket outside, but then it happened again during the day. 

I can't go anywhere to check showrooms to compare.

Is it possible the noise is the plastics in the unit creaking when they change temperature? I know I've had a projector in the past that did something like that, 5-10 minutes into use when it warmed up and the same when it was cooling down.

1 hour ago, kudeta2003 said:

Is it possible the noise is the plastics in the unit creaking when they change temperature? I know I've had a projector in the past that did something like that, 5-10 minutes into use when it warmed up and the same when it was cooling down.

It does it consistently after a movie (well that's when I notice it). I don't think it's a plastic creak as it's the same high pitch noise and duration each time. I think it's more electronic, like a capacitor or transformer or surge protection. Potentially a fan bearing. If it's not normal then I will enquire further.

When looking at calibration, I came across a YouTube video and the The Casual Cinephile had the same issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMwFLbhM_3o&lc=UgyNHv4__aB8Ydewuad4AaABAg.9NzsIl5Zk5g9O1LWvjaxAu

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2021 at 4:49 PM, drummerboy01 said:

Has anyone used spider x and jvc auto cal with this projector and calibrated it. I have the spider x and thinking of giving it a try. Is it worth it.

Have a look at this post on youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXHMl4SVC3E&ab_channel=Youthman

I am going to do mine as soon as we move in to our new home.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 3:49 PM, CCRider said:

Have a look at this post on youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXHMl4SVC3E&ab_channel=Youthman

I am going to do mine as soon as we move in to our new home.

I found another one. This video is fantastic and has helped a few over at AVS forums also. This guy does a terrific job of explaining something that can be complicated unless you have done it before.

Edited by drummerboy01
  • Like 1

On 23/06/2021 at 10:57 AM, homerlovesbeer said:

Let me know how you go if you try it

Just finished and all went well. In regards to the NX7 just make sure you turn off Echo mode in the Menu before you click start. I followed the above video that I posted in my last(above) post and all went well. No problems at all.

Edited by drummerboy01

18 hours ago, drummerboy01 said:

Just finished and all went well. In regards to the NX7 just make sure you turn off Echo mode in the Menu before you click start. I followed the above video that I posted in my last(above) post and all went well. No problems at all.

Did you make many adjustments? How much difference do you think it made? 

6 hours ago, kudeta2003 said:

Did you make many adjustments? How much difference do you think it made? 

For me personally it did make a difference. I noticed that the contrast was slightly better and colours stood out better in regards to one another. I also noticed an improvement in sharpness too. In the  4k movie "Kingdom of the crystal skull" it reduced the grain slightly . Though every movie is different i did watch the beginning of that movie before calibrating and def noticed a difference after calibrating. The grain was still there but def not as much after cal in my case. I did notice that as i am one who hates a grainy film. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 had no grain at all and the colours just popped in HDR and the sharpness stood out a mile for my liking. I followed this video and did not go wrong. I calibrated HDR under High lamp setting as in the video but changed it back to Low lamp afterwards while viewing. Also to note i switched picture mode to frame adapt HDR for 4k viewing. Aperture back to Auto 2

Edited by drummerboy01
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mninoj said:

hi all,  new to this thread. Does anyone use these JVC's with an anamorphic lens. Would love to see some set ups and experience. 

I am using mine with an MK4 lens and it works great. Had no problems, the image is bright and sharp.