Chord Electronics Owners & Discussion Thread

26 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

Yes mate, all 3 outputs run simultaneously. 

Its good with the Brooklyn, being as it has a display that shows me easily what the Scaler is outputting. The Qutests light indicator colors in that frequency range are to similar to distinguish between 705 and 768. 

By the way, the Scaler isn’t bit perfect with its bypass, so it won’t bypass MQA. 

Perfect, thanks Sime. That helps me a lot. Not worried about the MQA bypass, the Aurender does a software first "unfold" of MQA content to 88.2/96, so would already be outputting at that level.

@markm1111 yeah, switching between a direct input from the Node2 compared with the Scaler was life changing. 

Its only after hearing this that you can see why Rob Watts lectured on the failure of Digital when promoting the M Scaler. 

Thanks Simon, good to know. Might borrow one from CAV if possible and experiment with my current Pioneer PD-70A.

Inquisitive to hear any improvemnets as I think my front end sounds very good as is.

cheers. 

On 03/01/2019 at 8:47 PM, shihan171 said:

The Two on the right do nothing for now they are there for future up-grade when the Divina Project gets finished .

As for the clicks you are hearing I never had that problem , I know that has been talked about on the Head - Fi forums others have had that click sound .

Worth your while looking there its a long thread I remember reading about this starts being mentioned there when they first went on sale in the UK so not

at the start of the thread but later on round about page 100 I think ?

Hey mate, been having a chat with Rob over at Headfi about the frequency changeover issue and he at the start was perplexed over the issue, so I made him a video of the behavior and he had to dig into the code of the MScaler to see what was causing the behavior.

indeed as I hoped, my unit is functioning properly, here’s his response 

OK I have checked the code, and there are reasons for the behaviour, and it's due to locking of the DAC when SPDIF goes out of lock momentarily on the M scaler. That's why it flashes red, as the default 44.1 is sent to the DAC when it's input goes out of lock. Clearly I don't need to do this with Qutest on its own, it just mutes during SR change - there is no need to maintain M scaler/DAC lock under all circumstances.

So for sure there is nothing wrong with your unit, all M scalers will do this.

Thanks for the video.

Down below is the video I sent him, but even though is an inconvenience, it’s worth it in the end, it’s less of a hassle compared to playing records lol

Edited by Sime V2

To anyone wanting to buy this unit, there are ways to avoid it when using Jriver or Roon, by delaying the tracks starting by 2 seconds, but on a Node2i, not such luxury. It’s only ever an issue when changing Sampling rates, but sometimes it’s fine.

The overall performance of this unit outweighs this minor issue. I just restart the song again.

But from now on, considering how well this unit plays 16/44.1, well it’s what it was designed for, I will not ever be buying Hi-Res audio anymore, it’ll be either CD to be ripped, or just get the Redbook version from HDtracks at a fraction of the cost. 

No issues if everything is running Redbook. 

And to be honest, all my favorite recordings are Redbook, so there ya go, and now they are even better. Just listening the Pat Coil’s “Steps” album on Redbook, absolutely Devine ?

Win win. 

13 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

But from now on, considering how well this unit plays 16/44.1, well it’s what it was designed for, I will not ever be buying Hi-Res audio anymore, it’ll be either CD to be ripped, or just get the Redbook version from HDtracks at a fraction of the cost.

Just for completeness, try 24/44.1 vs 16/44.1 if possible of the same source. Whilst a dithered 16 bit sample should be inaudibly different from a 24 bit one, there is no guarantee that when you get 16 bit it has been dithered properly.

@1224 all the M Scaler does if give you the best representation of that file possible, and in high resolution, it’s then up to how good your DAC is to take it even further. So a TT2 will do a better job than a Qutest in the same level as it would with a basic 44.1 file. 

I’ve had a few inquiries about price, if you inquire at the lifestyle store in Sydney, that’ll be your best bet for pricing, trust me, I was very surprised at what they offered. 

1 minute ago, Sime V2 said:

Because that’s it’s retail price, as all other stores generally list publicly. 

I assure you that was not what I paid. @Ittaku

I didn't think you did, but it's still valuable to know its RRP as a starting point.

It would be interesting to compare the result from upscaling files into the same dac via m-scaler versus upscaling via software, Audivarna etc. 

i upscale all my cd rips to dsd or hi res pcm with Audivarna and get great results and agree the benefit of buying expensive hi res files isn’t so clear cut -  unless it’s a new mastering. Dsd and hi res files are sometimes equivalent to vinyl prices.

Edited by buddyev

Given the million taps sinc filter is designed to correct impulse (according to Watts), it'd be interesting to see what adding an M scaler before a ladder DAC would do - if anything - since their approach is completely orthogonal to each other. My guess is nothing, but only testing would tell for sure.

I had been waiting for Rob Watts technology to hit the magical million taps, where his sync filter recreates a perfect waveform for 16 bit audio. It only seems like yesterday the DAVE was released with 100k+ taps and now we reached 1 million very quickly.

But I cannot imagine running the digital signal out to an external box and back in again is doing it any favors. There will be a performance loss there. I want a one box DAC that does it all.