The null tester

Very Interesting, obviously he know's his stuff...based on what he say's then....all this cable talk is Bulldust...:ohmy:

Hmm...that's it I'm selling all my cables and replacing them with cheap cables...:ohmy:

The money I make, can then buy me a better CD player, as I'm happy with my TT setup.:frantics:

I like it, though it assumes that because the residual is inaudible that the residual summed to output is similarly inaudible.

Could well argue that's not so.

2 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

I like it, though it assumes that because the residual is inaudible that the residual summed to output is similarly inaudible.

Well argue it then.

Just now, bronal said:

Well argue it then.

Ref the current jitter thread! Plenty there. 

The key bits methinks being:

• These small differences applied at audible amplitudes may be audible (really depends on their nature vis-a-vis source material though)
  • These small differences in a channel-to-channel sense may impair factors leading to soundstage (channel-to-channel phase response, etc). 

As a head check would suspect that a null test would reveal the absolute difference between two identical cables, one considerably longer than the next, to be inaudible - but this said that doesn't mean you'd use them to hook up a stereo pair. 

17 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Ref the current jitter thread! Plenty there. 

... but cables don't distort the sound anything like the way jitter does.    Cables pickup unwanted signals (ie. noise), and (in the extreme) cause linear distortion.    Jitter is non-linear distortion.

20 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

... but cables don't distort the sound anything like the way jitter does.    Cables pickup unwanted signals (ie. noise), and (in the extreme) cause linear distortion.    Jitter is non-linear distortion.

This is true.

19 hours ago, candyflip said:

Damn...just spent $150 replacing my plain white two ply and $5 RCA interconnects with lovely thick ropey cables with gold shiny ends.

they are VERY nice lookin' though....  ;) 

Doesn't matter, as long as it looks better, and sounds better for you... then its a bonus...who cares what others think..it must be an illusion thing many of us have..:sorcerer:

Edited by Bass13

16 minutes ago, Bass13 said:

Doesn't matter, as long as it looks better, and sounds better for you... then its a bonus...who cares what others think..it must be an illusion thing many of us have..:sorcerer:

I really don't KNOW if it sounds better, because changing cables on my puny system to do a blind comparison is a pain in the butt and I couldn't actually be fagged. Especially because I changed two things at a time (I put in a new phono stage as well, same day). So I have no reliable data to use currently.

One day I'll be sufficiently bored to blindfold my partner in a chair and do this: but I'm sure I'll think of something better to do with her blindfolded on a chair, than asking her if she hears something changing in a system.  ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Volunteer
29 minutes ago, candyflip said:

I really don't KNOW if it sounds better, because changing cables on my puny system to do a blind comparison is a pain in the butt and I couldn't actually be fagged. Especially because I changed two things at a time (I put in a new phono stage as well, same day). So I have no reliable data to use currently.

One day I'll be sufficiently bored to blindfold my partner in a chair and do this: but I'm sure I'll think of something better to do with her blindfolded on a chair, than asking her if she hears something changing in a system.  ;) 

And people say blind tests are “difficult” and “no fun” :)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

Nope, Audible + in-Audible still only equals Audible ?

On 15/11/2018 at 5:10 AM, bob_m_54 said:

Nope, Audible + in-Audible still only equals Audible ?

Yeah... nah... null testing assumes sensitivity is linear per all conditions - a large assumption - (vastly) unequal length speaker cables will test indifferently on a null test. Would you do it?

Edited by rmpfyf

5 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

Yeah... nah... null testing assumes sensitivity is linear per all conditions - a large assumption - (vastly) unequal length speaker cables will test indifferently on a null test. Would you do it?

Two non definable terms.

Resistance, capacitance, inductance are all measurable, depending on the sensitivity of the null testing equipment.

I'm not going to watch it again to see what the sensitivity figures were for his tester, but they were more than adequate for the purpose, from memory.

7 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

Two non definable terms.

You might mean 'qualitative'. They're definitions.

7 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

Resistance, capacitance, inductance are all measurable, depending on the sensitivity of the null testing equipment.

Their effect is observable depending on the accuracy of the nulling circuit, and audible depending on the sensitivity of the listener.

9 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Yes, 100%

You're an outlier :D 

On 14/11/2018 at 4:01 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

And people say blind tests are “difficult” and “no fun” :)

This video is indeed a bit dull when compared to the legendary Bob Carver Challenge ;)

• Like 1

On 13/11/2018 at 9:36 PM, Addicted to music said:

One way to test cables.....:thumb:

Kudos to Ethan Winer for having gone to the trouble to design and build the null tester device, and for demonstrating it in action.

On 14/11/2018 at 7:10 AM, bob_m_54 said:

Wait a minute.... How could you possibly put your faith in sience, physics and electrical theory. This is obviously biased towards truth....

Yes, you run great risks  pursuing truth in audio. ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Check out the video @ 50sec.  I’m sure that dude with that mop on his head was Ethan when he was much younger.....? ?

Yeah i thought that. Much, er, slimmer.

At the end of the video he seems to get a bit emotional talking about getting banned from forums and not being given exotic cables to test. Understandable really that retailers didn't want to run the risk of the null hypothesis being....

...confirmed   ??

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MLXXX said:

Yeah i thought that. Much, er, slimmer.

At the end of the video he seems to get a bit emotional talking about getting banned from forums and not being given exotic cables to test. Understandable really that retailers didn't want to run the risk of the null hypothesis being....

...confirmed   ??

And we all know what the answer to that will be if it went ahead.   

The thing with nearly all forums is that there’s mega dollars behind them keeping them up and running. 

It’s a free world and a free market,  so everyone can do whatever they like with there hard earned cash.  People just don’t buy Hifi for good sound.  

Anyone for group bulk buy on those $22k cables?  I. Hoping we get enough on the group to knock then down $100 per pair!  ?