Speaker Setting on AVR

Hi,

I have a Pioneer SC-LX71 AVR. I have it in a 5.1 setup running DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. I was wondering should I be running all my speakers as large or small?

I have B&W 684S1 Fronts, B&W LCR600 Center, B&W M1 Satellite as rears and a B&W PV1 (Gen 1) subwoofer.

I also run an integrated amp for my 2 channel in the same room and using HT Bypass when watching movies.

Thanks,

K.

1 hour ago, k3nnis888 said:

I was wondering should I be running all my speakers as large or small?

I have B&W 684S1 Fronts, B&W LCR600 Center, B&W M1 Satellite as rears and a B&W PV1 (Gen 1) subwoofer.

Small . It is important to match your speakers low frequency extension to where you set your crossovers K .  Large means no crossover is set .The front B/W's don't go especially low and those frequencies are best left to your sub [which has the benefit of taking some work from your woofers]  . So too your surrounds only go down to 64hz so large [a full range signal] isn't good for a small driver .

Try 80hz for your bass management ;  I like to consider the subs capabilities here ; some have a wider flatter response than others ; your MCACC can help smooth out any dips/peaks :)

9 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks yes on the pioneer crossover is at 80Hz. 

I lost the mic for MCACC :(

Try pioneer for a replacement maybe or if they cant help ask if a UMIK calibrated mike or similar can be used as a substitute. Or if you want better than MCACC look into a minidsp with dirac live built in [ if its in the budget ]

I'd set them all to small too.  You can always experiment a little bit with the crossover I used to use 80Hz now its currently on 100hz.  See what you reckon.  My front speakers measured -2db at 20Hz in my room and I still set them as small for HT

I saw a recent video on youtube from audioholics saying 120Hz is best because there is still some LFE up to that point.  But in all honesty I've not seen anything else to verify this.

DId you arrange a replacement mic?

Edited by Dave's Addiction

On 16/09/2018 at 8:13 AM, Dave's Addiction said:

I'd set them all to small too.  You can always experiment a little bit with the crossover I used to use 80Hz now its currently on 100hz.  See what you reckon.  My front speakers measured -2db at 20Hz in my room and I still set them as small for HT

I saw a recent video on youtube from audioholics saying 120Hz is best because there is still some LFE up to that point.  But in all honesty I've not seen anything else to verify this.

DId you arrange a replacement mic?

Hi,

I haven't arranged a replacement mic.

I am actually thinking about getting a used Emotiva UMC-200 A/V processor. It has HDMI 1.4 which will give me 3D on my JVC X35 Projector. I plan to stay with 1080P for a while yet. 

How would one connect the emotiva processor and my integrated amp with HT bypass (to use it as a power amp for my front 2 main speakers) and Pioneer AVR SCLX-71?

Am I right in saying, all HDMI sources goes to the emotiva, then FR and FL RCA's from emotiva 7.1 output to my integrated amp (HT bypass compatible) input, emotiva Subwoofer out goes to my powered subwoofer RCA, emotiva C, SL and SR output RCA's goes to Pioneer AVR's multi channel input (C,SL,SR)?

Will this then make my Pioneer AVR as a power amp for C,SL,SR speakers? And my integrated as a Power amp for the main front speakers when watching movies?

Thanks,

K.

Edited by k3nnis888

9 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Hi,

I haven't arranged a replacement mic.

I am actually thinking about getting a used Emotiva UMC-200 A/V processor. It has HDMI 1.4 which will give me 3D on my JVC X35 Projector. I plan to stay with 1080P for a while yet. 

How would one connect the emotiva processor and my integrated amp with HT bypass (to use it as a power amp for my front 2 main speakers) and Pioneer AVR SCLX-71?

Am I right in saying, all HDMI sources goes to the emotiva, then FR and FL RCA's from emotiva 7.1 output to my integrated amp (HT bypass compatible) input, emotiva Subwoofer out goes to my powered subwoofer RCA, emotiva C, SL and SR output RCA's goes to Pioneer AVR's multi channel input (C,SL,SR)?

Will this then make my Pioneer AVR as a power amp for C,SL,SR speakers? And my integrated as a Power amp for the main front speakers when watching movies?

Thanks,

K.

Please have a look at diagram in topic below:

p/s if interested,  I have a used Anthem MRX -710 which can serve as an excellent 1080p processor.

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Please have a look at diagram in topic below:

p/s if interested,  I have a used Anthem MRX -710 which can serve as an excellent 1080p processor.

Thanks. The MRX-710 will be too dear for me even used.

Yep I understand the setup now for the HT bypass but what about with the Emotiva Processor connection to the Pioneer AVR?

On 16/09/2018 at 8:13 AM, Dave's Addiction said:

From what I understand once you go above 80hz, the sound is directional so you can hear where it is coming from. This is a bad thing if those signals are coming from your sub.

My HT room is set at 80hz across the room regardless as to what Audyssey says. I used to have large floorstanders in the room and realized as I don't listen to much 2ch music in there, there wasn't much need for those speakers so I replaced them with the matching, but cheaper, standmounts. I can't tell the difference in sound!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

I am actually thinking <snip>

Yes... but you'll need to ensure that all settings (distance, EQ, decoding, etc.) are turned off on the Pioneer AVR, and that you set it's volume dial to something (before you calibrate the Emotiva processor levels) and leave it there.

Edited by davewantsmoore

On 17/09/2018 at 1:45 PM, blybo said:

From what I understand once you go above 80hz, the sound is directional so you can hear where it is coming from. This is a bad thing if those signals are coming from your sub.

My HT room is set at 80hz across the room regardless as to what Audyssey says. I used to have large floorstanders in the room and realized as I don't listen to much 2ch music in there, there wasn't much need for those speakers so I replaced them with the matching, but cheaper, standmounts. I can't tell the difference in sound!

I agree with you.  I thought it was strange advice :)  Personally in my situation I didn't hear much difference going from 80Hz to 100Hz but I wouldn't go any higher.  I also have dual subs right next to my main L + R speakers so perhaps this is why.  For 2 channel I don't use the subs at all, just the mains full range,

Hi guys,

just picked up a used Cambridge audio Azur 740A integrated amp with HT bypass. I also have a micromega minium amp which has processor mode but the micromega does not have any options of fixed gain etc just purely passes through.

now the CA has dB gain, how do I know what value to set it at?

do I need a sound level meter and measure it with my AVR’s test tones? If I put it at 0dB it’s louder than my avrs centre speaker and surrounds. My avr are driving those speakers. 

Thanks,

K.