stereo amps that can drive 2 sets of speakers

Rotel amps have a function to allow 2 sets of speakers to be driven (either a or b or both) 

what other amps are there with this feature?

i currently have 2 sets of speakers and 2 amps in my longeroom but would like to upgrade and simplify 

1 hour ago, Shhh said:

Rotel amps have a function to allow 2 sets of speakers to be driven (either a or b or both) 

i currently have 2 sets of speakers and 2 amps in my longeroom but would like to upgrade and simplify 

You'll find it's actually a very common feature on most decent integrated or power amps.

Yamaha, Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Denon & NAD all offer this feature.  These are all great value brands that offer both midrange and high-end options, are readily available and have good product support.  And Rotel is right up there with them.

I'm sure there's plenty of others amongst other longstanding brands and boutique offerings.  Best to call a few of your local retailers.

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi/index.html#d834211

https://www.marantz.com/en-au/category/amplifiers

https://nadelectronics.com/products/all-amplifiers/

Before you make your final choice, check the specs to ensure that the amp is capable of driving your two sets of speakers simultaneously.  You might need to look at owner manuals to get the detailed specs for this.  They're usually available to download.

e.g.  If both sets of speakers are 8 Ohms, you will need an amp that is happy with a total load of 4 ohms.

If one set is 8 Ohms and one is 4 Ohms, the amp must be capable of driving a 2.7 Ohm load and your choices start to become more limited.  If both are 4 Ohms, the amp has to handle 2 Ohm loads and the short list will be even shorter.

What is your budget?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shhh said:

2 sets of speakers to be driven

When paralleling two sets of speakers, your halfling the impedance load as seen by the amp, so it got to be able to take down to a 2ohm at volume without breaking a sweat.

Any amp that can come "close to doubling (75%)" it's independently tested 8ohm wattage to 4ohms and again to 2ohms will suffice nicely.

Look at "BJT output stage" amps EG: Krell, Agostino, ML, Halo Parasound, ME Sound etc etc. 

Cheers George

• Like 1

I should have also mentioned that you can get external speaker selection switches.

They vary in price, quality and aesthetic appeal and some offer impedance switching to ensure that the load presented to the amp is never less than 4 Ohms.

I use one similar to the Selby A3021A, in a system that services both the back deck and some ceiling speakers in the kitchen.

https://www.selby.com.au/av-distribution/av-switches-splitters/switches/audio.html

https://www.spacehifi.com.au/av-distribution/speaker-switches/niles-ss-4-speaker-selector

thanks for the replies

i really just want the amp to play to speakers a or speakers b (not both at the same time). i assume if thats the case the impedance of the speakers isn’t affected ?

budget $5k - there were some great deals on rotels 6000 integrated recently but that promotion seems to be over

Just now, Shhh said:

i really just want the amp to play to speakers a or speakers b (not both at the same time). i assume if that's the case, the impedance of the speakers isn’t affected ?

Correct.  👍

However, if either of those pairs of spkrs drops to 4 ohms or below - then "George's Law" still applies!

1 minute ago, surprisetech said:

I should have also mentioned that you can get external speaker selection switches.

They vary in price, quality and aesthetic appeal and some offer impedance switching to ensure that the load presented to the amp is never less than 4 Ohms.

I use one similar to the Selby A3021A, in a system that services both the back deck and some ceiling speakers in the kitchen.

https://www.selby.com.au/av-distribution/av-switches-splitters/switches/audio.html

https://www.spacehifi.com.au/av-distribution/speaker-switches/niles-ss-4-speaker-selector

thanks for that - that looks like a viable option. do they interfere with sound quality? ( i mean of the clearly audible variety not of the audiophile snobery type 😅)

10 minutes ago, Shhh said:

thanks for that - that looks like a viable option. do they interfere with sound quality? ( i mean of the clearly audible variety not of the audiophile snobery type 😅)

Here ya go:

www.selby.com.au/brands/niles/niles-dps-1-2-way-speaker-amp-switch.html

I use a Niles 4-way spkr switch.

19 minutes ago, Shhh said:

I would expect the better quality ones to be just fine.  Mine is a cheapy and I'm happy with it, but it's not in a high-powered system.  Niles is used widely in commercial AV, so I'm not surprised andyr is happy with his.

Having said that, with a $5k budget, you can do your amp upgrade and get your speaker switching included.  RA-1592mkII?

Edited by surprisetech

3 hours ago, Shhh said:

Most Luxmans do. Might be over your budget though. Second-hand ones come up occasionally.

Edited by Chigurh
spelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, surprisetech said:

Having said that, with a $5k budget, you can do your amp upgrade and get your speaker switching included.  RA-1592mkII?

Exactly.

With a 5K budget, you really won't get better than this 

• Wow 1

I don't think the Rotel above supports 2 sets of speakers from looking at the manual.

You might need one of those switch boxes mentioned in this thread as well to use 2 sets of speakers and swap between them.

From the manual

Speaker Selection We recommend using loudspeakers with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms or higher with the amplifier. The dual output binding posts are ideal for bi-wire installations allowing 4 pairs of wires to drive the HF and LF speakers each with individual wires from the left or right channel of the amplifier. Speaker impedance ratings are less than precise so use care when selecting the loudspeakers to attach to the amplifier. In practice, very few loudspeakers will present any problems for the amplifier. See your authorized Michi dealer if you have any questions.

ADDED: I was looking in the manual for how to switch from A to B speaker and could not find it.

Edited by rocky500

1 hour ago, Shhh said:

thanks for the replies

i really just want the amp to play to speakers a or speakers b (not both at the same time). i assume if thats the case the impedance of the speakers isn’t affected ?

budget $5k - there were some great deals on rotels 6000 integrated recently but that promotion seems to be over

CHT show them as available but then say back order so not sure.

@CustomHT

https://www.customht.com.au/products/rotel-diamond-series-ra-6000-integrated-amplifier?variant=43014850806018

22 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

don't think the Rotel above supports 2 sets of speakers from looking at the manual.

Perhaps you  didn't see the photo of the rear panel of the X3 but you may want to have a look. When you do you will see eight binding posts and I am sure they are not just for decoration.

1 hour ago, surprisetech said:

some offer impedance switching to ensure that the load presented to the amp is never less than 4 Ohms.

Trouble with any series resistance like they have, is that damping factor (bass quality) will take a step backwards.

Cheers George 

Edited by georgehifi

19 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Trouble with any series resistance like they have, is that damping factor (bass quality) will take a step backwards.

Cheers George 

Yes, you’re right.  
You’d hope any series resistance is only applied when 2 or more speakers are engaged.

2 hours ago, rantan said:

Perhaps you  didn't see the photo of the rear panel of the X3 but you may want to have a look. When you do you will see eight binding posts and I am sure they are not just for decoration.

Perhaps I got it wrong but it seems to be an option to use bi-wiring for 1 set of speakers.

Could not see any mention of how to switch A to B speakers.

Edited by rocky500

Actually just looked at a review and this is what they say

"Looking at the back I see all kinds of inputs and outputs. There is also more than the usual four speaker outputs as the X3 allows you to bi-wire your speakers if you desire. It may appear that this has hookups for two sets of speakers but it doesn’t. " https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2022/11/27/the-michi-x3-integrated-amp-review-best-of-2022/

Edited by rocky500

4 hours ago, rocky500 said:

Actually just looked at a review and this is what they say

"Looking at the back I see all kinds of inputs and outputs. There is also more than the usual four speaker outputs as the X3 allows you to bi-wire your speakers if you desire. It may appear that this has hookups for two sets of speakers but it doesn’t. " https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2022/11/27/the-michi-x3-integrated-amp-review-best-of-2022/

yeah that's disappointing - given the 1592 and 6000 do, thanks for the link - no Michi for me

On 02/02/2024 at 5:41 PM, Darryl said:

Promotion is ongoing. They're on backorder and it's recommended pre-ordering to reserve stock from the next shipment due early March.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/02/2024 at 4:44 PM, andyr said:

Here ya go:

www.selby.com.au/brands/niles/niles-dps-1-2-way-speaker-amp-switch.html

I use a Niles 4-way spkr switch.

I am using a Denon amp that states min 4 ohms yet for years I have been successfully using a pair of floorstanders @ 4 & some ceiling speakers at 8  (2.7 total) at all times... I have a volume control in front of the ceiling speakers so that I can readily drop the vol when needed. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Indeed a speaker switch is an option.

I have thought, but never tried, using the pre-outs to connect a 2nd cheap classD amp to drive the 2nd pair. Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Edited by bingo
typo