US power board

amdan

Hi guys.  I am looking for a high quality power board with USA outlets but with a Australian plug into the wall. Any ideas on where I can get this? I definitely do not want any filtering in the power board. Just a plain one.

Edited by amdan

I don't know why you would want to do such a thing.

* US plugs and sockets are designed for 117VAC, NOT 230VAC.

* US power plugs are not safe for Australian conditions (you could be sued).

* Change your power cables for Australian approved ones, or have your tradie swap the plugs for the (far superior) Australian ones.

* Use a high quality 230VAC rated Elsafe power board and you're good to go. 

Thanks [mention=141213]Bunno77[/mention] . Consonance looks like the answer despite the hefty price tag.

[mention=106387]Zaphod Beeblebrox[/mention] who do you think would sue me?
No worries though as Zaph said I wouldn't be using US cables/plugs as they aren't rated/certified to our voltage.
The consonance will let you use other regions 240v 'audiophile' power cables though

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

No worries though as Zaph said I wouldn't be using US cables/plugs as they aren't rated/certified to our voltage.
The consonance will let you use other regions 240v 'audiophile' power cables though

Thanks. What's the risk here. We have lower current coming out of our walls than the USA. Their power cords must be more robust than ours.

1 hour ago, amdan said:

Thanks @Bunno77 . Consonance looks like the answer despite the hefty price tag.

@Zaphod Beeblebrox who do you think would sue me?

57 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Safer but still not legal. 

Voltage and fire which won't be covered by your insurance. 

They may use different materials but if they aren't rated to our voltage it could burn your house down. 

@amdan ... Bunno has it right.  Your insurance co. will be able to wipe their hands of you, if you happened to have a fire - even tho the fire wasn't caused by your US power cords/power board.

So one has to ask ... why would you bother to risk this?

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, andyr said:

@amdan ... Bunno has it right.  Your insurance co. will be able to wipe their hands of you, if you happened to have a fire - even tho the fire wasn't caused by your US power cords/power board.

So one has to ask ... why would you bother to risk this?

Andy

Audio connection in Leichhardt burnt out due to a faulty Loewe tv. The place was full of US style plugs and power boards. They had the first cheque for $800000 that afternoon. I have never known an insurance claim rejected for using US style plugs, I don't know where you get your beliefs from but keep on believing it.

8 hours ago, guru said:

Audio connection in Leichhardt burnt out due to a faulty Loewe tv. The place was full of US style plugs and power boards. They had the first cheque for $800000 that afternoon. I have never known an insurance claim rejected for using US style plugs, I don't know where you get your beliefs from but keep on believing it.

Glad to hear that, g.  (That a payment was made promptly, not that the shop was burnt down.)

From previous experience, dealing with an insurance co. after a bushfire, I understand that an insurance co. will work very hard not to have to pay out.  That's why I assumed they would take the opportunity of refusing a claim on the grounds of there being illegal power cords in the house.  Then again, the particular insurance co. that I had to deal with ... is no longer with us - maybe it was just them that had this attitude?

Andy

Edited by andyr

11 hours ago, amdan said:

Thanks @Bunno77 . Consonance looks like the answer despite the hefty price tag.

@Zaphod Beeblebrox who do you think would sue me?

Perhaps a visitor, who had a child that stuck their finger in between the pins of the US power plug. Those things are not allowed in Australia. For good reason. They're junk. Australia builds the best, safest mains power stuff on the planet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, amdan said:

Thanks. What's the risk here. We have lower current coming out of our walls than the USA. Their power cords must be more robust than ours.

Australian mains power is vastly superior to US mains power (for the most part). A typical Australian power point and plug is rated at 10 Amps. That's 2,300 Watts. That, however, only tells part of the story. Usually, that power point is connected to a 20 Amp breaker at the fuse box and is connected via 2.5mm CSA wire. You can ask your sparky to install 15 Amp sockets and plugs. These are far superior to anything available anywhere. Make certain you specify HPM or Elsafe ones. Then you can use a 32 Amp breaker. In the US, a mains power point is rated to deliver a meagre 1,500 Watts. And that is the ABSOLUTE maximum. 

Lastly: There is no difference between mains power cables (size-wise), once you are using 1.5mm CSA or more, when using ANY reasonable domestic appliance. You've been sucked in by advertising. Good ole' Aussie plugs and sockets are fine. They work and they work very well. They're safe and there has never been any credible, double blind test, performed at any time to prove that any differences can be detected.

Not once. Not ever. 

9 hours ago, guru said:

I dunno where you get your beliefs from, but I've had the (unfortunate) opportunity to deal with insurance companies on a few occasions. They will use ANY method they can to not pay out on a claim. Perhaps, if I had (like the owner of TAC) several properties, a bunch of vehicles and other assorted things, insured with the same company, then I might have been able to apply pressure. However, like most people, I don't. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Perhaps, if I had (like the owner of TAC) several properties, a bunch of vehicles and other assorted things, insured with the same company, then I might have been able to apply pressure.

I would suspect something like this.  In working with insurance companies for 20 years, plus claims on a personal level, I've never known an insurance company to pay out that afternoon, especially $800,000.

8 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

I would suspect something like this.  In working with insurance companies for 20 years, plus claims on a personal level, I've never known an insurance company to pay out that afternoon, especially $800,000.

I could tell you why they paid the first of numerous amounts so quickly and it had nothing to do with pressure exerted as Trevor alluded too. Leased premises, no ownership, some scrappy old Toyota hi ace vehicles, etc but best you keep on suspecting what you want.

7 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Perhaps a visitor, who had a child that stuck their finger in between the pins of the US power plug. Those things are not allowed in Australia. For good reason. They're junk. Australia builds the best, safest mains power stuff on the planet.

ZB is Donald Trump your uncle by any chance? 

1 minute ago, Decky said:

ZB is Donald Trump your uncle by any chance? 

I don't understand your meaning. I despise Trump as a liar, a charlatan and extremely ignorant. I trust that you are not attempting to cast me in the same light?

I detest charlatans. I thought that would be obvious.

On a more realistic matter, I trace my roots back to Ireland, Scotland and England. Trump's roots are in Germany. 

And, if you have anything of value to explain why any sane person would want to use a clearly unsafe, unsuitable mains system in their home, feel free to do so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, guru said:

I could tell you why they paid the first of numerous amounts so quickly and it had nothing to do with pressure exerted as Trevor alluded too. Leased premises, no ownership, some scrappy old Toyota hi ace vehicles, etc but best you keep on suspecting what you want.

Put your money where your mouth is Guru and explain, otherwise it's your usual antagonistic waffle.

• Like 2

On 02/09/2018 at 10:22 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I don't understand your meaning. I despise Trump as a liar, a charlatan and extremely ignorant. I trust that you are not attempting to cast me in the same light?

I detest charlatans. I thought that would be obvious.

On a more realistic matter, I trace my roots back to Ireland, Scotland and England. Trump's roots are in Germany. 

And, if you have anything of value to explain why any sane person would want to use a clearly unsafe, unsuitable mains system in their home, feel free to do so.

Saying something like: "  Australia builds the best, safest mains power stuff on the planet." reminds me a bit of Trump - that is all. Charlatan or not - making unsubstantiated statements like that is definitely  his specialty.

I do not even know what 'the best "means in that sentence TBH. 

Edited by Decky

Saying something like: "  Australia builds the best, safest mains power stuff on the planet." reminds me a bit of Trump - that is all. Charlatan or not - making unsubstantiated statements like that is definitely  his specialty.

There are standards for such things and ours are considered the best. Seems to be changing rapidly of late though with floods of poorly made and uncertified products coming in.
  • Like 1

Just now, Decky said:

Saying something like: "  Australia builds the best, safest mains power stuff on the planet." reminds me a bit of Trump - that is all. Charlatan or not - making unsubstantiated statements like is definitely  his specialty.

American 117VAC mains equipment lacks the high grade insulation and safety standards that apply to Australian made stuff (as opposed to the Chinese stuff manufactured to Australian standards). It's not an uninformed opinion. It is a simple fact. US 117VAC mains stuff should not be used in Australia, because it is unsafe and probably illegal.  

For example: I've examined some VERY expensive, imported Australian standard mains plugs. There is no doubt that they are very well constructed, from, arguably, inappropriate materials (gold plating is daft for mains stuff). However, for about 15 Bucks from your local electrical wholesaler (NOT Bunnings!), you can buy the equally excellent HPM, or Clipsal 15 Amp mains plugs.

• Like 2

On 02/09/2018 at 10:28 PM, guru said:

I don't know where you get your beliefs from but keep on believing it.

I was recently flooded.   The electrical  inspector subcontracted by my insurer came to asses damaged (audio and computer) cables and a damaged freezer.    I asked him directly about this issue and we talked quite extensively about it as he seemed to have been around the block a few times....  he initially didn't quite understand until I pointed him to my power board with international power sockets, and some USA plugged cables, and he gave me the knowing "uh-huh, you're one of those people eh?" looks.

We he said, boiled down to:

• If you were a business - read your policy very carefully.
  • If you are a home owner - then your policy likely isn't detailed enough to specifically exclude this (non-compliant electrical devices)
  • If you are in the business of selling said devices - then you are liable for 'everything', and an insurance company could come after you to recover the cost of some guys house burning down if they were able to work that out (and your own policy would not cover you)

On 03/09/2018 at 6:28 AM, andyr said:

being illegal power cords in the house

It is not 'illegal' to possess or use non-compliant electrical devices (only for a business to sell them) ... however as an inspector he said would report non-Australian certified plugs if they were found at a claim site, with the inference being that the insurer should find a way to avoid paying via any 'if you do dumb stuff' type clauses.

On 03/09/2018 at 9:13 AM, guru said:

I could tell you why they paid the first of numerous amounts so quickly

... but will you?   It would be genuinely interesting.    If the answer is no... then?   (would you behave like that in real life?)

• Like 2