New House. Giant Wall. Projector Time!

Ahoy! In my previous (rental) home, I accumulated a fairly decent Paradigm audio setup in the hope of setting up my "dream kit" one day. Then I moved into the new place and saw... "The Wall".

Due to the slope of the property, the rear extension was built on an elevated level. This meant the use of a skillion roof (yep, I had to look that up) and a large blank 4.5m x 3.5m wall at the end of a 6.2m long room...

IMG_7302.jpg

It's projector time ? 

Given these dimensions, apparently I have room for a 180" screen... however given the sitting distance of 4.9m this is going to give me a viewing angle of ~44 degrees which is apparently about 10 degrees more than what's recommended (from what I've read).

My questions (keeping in mind this is all new territory for me):

• Can anyone advise from experience on whether I want to avoid this viewing angle and go with something like the THX recommendation of 140"-150"
  • What brightness of projector should I be looking at for a 6m throw distance (the room gets pitch black at night apart from the fire)

image.png.2e65d26a51d94b5219b2958ef1bf4351.png vs. image.png.89593300110f45cd8d70bb1cb3e797c7.png 

I only get to do this once, so I want to get it right. My feeling is I'll be pulling the trigger about the time of the Australian Hifi Show (October) to see if there are any decent deals going for kit.

Happy to take any and all guidance!

Cheers!

Arrjo ?

PS. Ignore the butchering of the wall. That was the previous owners who (among other things) attached a TV mount to the wall with tek screws ?Clean up happening soon...

PPS. Ignore the colour. It's going to be repainted a deep, dark (but dusty) blue (you can see the swatches if you look closely)

PPPS. Ignore the retro UFO light fitting. That's going away as well.

Edited by Arrjo
Too many pics.

180" at 4.9 metres is massive, you'll strain an eye ball!  I'd be inclined to keep it to 150"...in fact I sit 4.5 metres from my 120" 16:9 and it's plenty big!

Get an old bed sheet or two and mock up a screen on the wall.  Just remember that you have to sit in that position for 2 hours or more... 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kaynin said:

180" at 4.9 metres is massive, you'll strain an eye ball!  I'd be inclined to keep it to 150"...in fact I sit 4.5 metres from my 120" 16:9 and it's plenty big!

Get an old bed sheet or two and mock up a screen on the wall.  Just remember that you have to sit in that position for 2 hours or more... 

Cheers @Kaynin - Yeah I've been looking at those pics and agree... the temptation (for beginners like me) is to attempt to create your own iMAX@Home ?From the reading I've done since posting, I think the screen will be the last thing I buy after testing & seeing what's comfortable (don't want to end up with an eye that looks like your avatar ?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

whats your viewing distance  going to be ? keep in mind size of screen is only relevant to viewing distance. ie if keep to THX spec for immersion no matter the size of screen all will give the same feel of immersion :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arrjo said:

Cheers @Kaynin - Yeah I've been looking at those pics and agree... the temptation (for beginners like me) is to attempt to create your own iMAX@Home ?From the reading I've done since posting, I think the screen will be the last thing I buy after testing & seeing what's comfortable (don't want to end up with an eye that looks like your avatar ?)

@:) al  bangs on about it, but he's right, save a decent budget for your screen too.  Quality counts here because "it's where the rubber hits the road"... 

• Like 2

@:) al Just shy of 5m, so I'm thinking somewhere around 140" to 150" given this calculator (LINK).

@Kaynin Definitely - I've already got some indicative pricing on Screen Technics screens. Somewhere in the vicinity of $2k for a motorised screen (w/ custom colour headbox) is what I'm thinking.

Then there's the new projector, cabling, additional audio kit...

I like projects ? 

• Like 2

You have my dream wall !!! I have a 150" 16:9 screen since the days of DVD and filling it up with image is awesome. But any 2.35:1 movies will feel small with black bars, although that is still 142". I can only dream of stretching my 150" image sideway to scope size with anamorphic lens but I have already max out on width. With your wall that becomes reality. Wow!

You have my dream wall !!! I have a 150" 16:9 screen since the days of DVD and filling it up with image is awesome. But any 2.35:1 movies will feel small with black bars, although that is still 142". I can only dream of stretching my 150" image sideway to scope size with anamorphic lens but I have already max out on width. With your wall that becomes reality. Wow!

You could easily apply that logic back the other way and say that 16.9 movies would look small on a scope screen.

FWIW I think a 2.35:1 movie at 142” would still be pretty damn spectacular!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minty said:

Not when viewed from 4.9m it wont be. I would go with a 180" 16:9 at that distance.

17 hours ago, minty said:

You could easily apply that logic back the other way and say that 16.9 movies would look small on a scope screen.

That is true but all depends on what size you are used to watching your movies. A 150" 16:9 image stretch out to 2.35:1 equals 190". If op has not own a massive screen before then he should not find a 150" 16:9 image small inside a 2.35:1 screen especially with his viewing distance of 4.9m. And that scope image of 190" will be awesome with anamorphic lens. May still be fine using zoom method if op bought a light canon and that means running in high mode and more lamp changes. The same will apply to maxing out to 180" at 16:9.

For me unless I keep changing my sitting distance between 16:9 and 2.35:1 material, a scope image inside my 16:9 screen with black bars top and bottom will unavoidably feel small to me. In fact from time to time I love to enlarge a scope image to fill my screen and get back the impact, even that means chopping off the sides. So I can only dream of how awesome that is to get back those sides with a wider wall and the feel of true cinema. 

Edited by PKK

If you have floorstanding speakers (or thinking of buying some), allow for them to placed in front and not blocking part of the screen when you are at the seating position.

Something like this?

big screen.jpg

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 9:04 PM, Arrjo said:

@:) al Just shy of 5m, so I'm thinking somewhere around 140" to 150" given this calculator (LINK).

@Kaynin Definitely - I've already got some indicative pricing on Screen Technics screens. Somewhere in the vicinity of $2k for a motorised screen (w/ custom colour headbox) is what I'm thinking.

Then there's the new projector, cabling, additional audio kit...

I like projects ? 

Why do you want a motorised screen?  wont this room be a dedicated theatre?

@rocky500 I figure that's what's going to factor into the decision on screen size.I wIll likely have the floorstanders out the sides (I have Paradigm v6 Monitor 11's & a CC-390 center up front). Nice mock up BTW ?

@Tasso Room will be multi-purpose. Likely have pictures on the wall, and don't really want a screen to be the focal point of the room (probably why we're going to get the screen headbox a custom colour to blend with the wall). Screen will have enough clearance to cover the pics when extended.

11 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

How wide is the wall?

4.5m wide by 3.5 tall. At this stage I reckon I'm going to buy the screen last after test driving whatever projector I end up buying to see what feels right for me and the other half.

7 hours ago, Arrjo said:

4.5m wide by 3.5 tall. At this stage I reckon I'm going to buy the screen last after test driving whatever projector I end up buying to see what feels right for me and the other half.

Oh ok :)

my wall is 3.4m and I placed a 110” 16:9 fixed screen. Sit about 3.4m away. Feels fine. 

On 11/07/2018 at 10:09 PM, Arrjo said:

Due to the slope of the property, the rear extension was built on an elevated level. This meant the use of a skillion roof (yep, I had to look that up) and a large blank 4.5m x 3.5m wall at the end of a 6.2m long room.

to OP I know have a large "giant" wall, and temptation is there to just FILL it with screen. 

I'd work back with a 6.2m long room rather tan 4.9m I'd sit around the 4.1m point if can. this is around 2/3rd and using rules of thirds it will help you not only audio wise but also video wise. 

screen size is related to distance view from to determine immersion. ie a larger screen can look the same size as a smaller screen you view closer up. for immersion to thx spec you need a 130" screen at that distance.

keep in mind a few things. even a screen that size will be a bother if going motorised. in my opinion I probably wouldnt go much past 110" motorised as with a screen any bigger you are going to need tab tensioned and like to manage it which will just add additional cost and complexity. 130" motorised is going to cost for anything decent I would suggest

and do get a decent screen. it really is where image is portrayed.

projector wise getting upto 130" and beyond I woudl suggest you'd need one with quite a bit of output. and also 130" and going above that also of consideration is managing enough output for HDR. something to carefully research if UHD is a consideration. As you go bigger in size will have to move the projector as close to screen as possible at close to shortest throw to maximise output. am not sure whats out there to achieve 30FL and above HDR needs with projectors to experience the benefits. 

keep in mind while can ramp up projectors to higher lamp settings and most output for larger screens what also tends to drop off is naturalness of colours etc and ofcourse lamp life if you are kicking things off with running on high lamp.

wil a long multipurpose room another option is split the room put a bar, library or study or something else up back so sit closer... this will help with regards not getting too silly with the screen size and directly open up choices in both projectors suitable as with screens

11 hours ago, :) al said:

...lots of good stuff...

Cheers @:) al I appreciate the advice and effort giving it! All great stuff ?

Definitely looking at getting the best projector I can afford, and after that the screen (once I figure out the size of screen is comfortable).

BTW there's already a bar there ? 

Imho get everything you need/want but not the screen.

Then paint the wall white with some ceiling white/flat white.

Watch a movie or 3 on it and then go for the size screen that's comfortable.

Repaint the wall the sexy blue.

• Love 1