TWO WAY SPEAKERS ARE REALLY NOT VERY GOOD.

4 hours ago, Peter_F said:

Just out of curiosity John, how much will the ML3/ML5 speakers owe you all up when you get them back ?

Peter

Don't really want to get into the no's on a public forum as Mike has his numbers and lots of different stuff went into myself moving from the MLT3's, to ML3Ref's to ML5Ref's.

Suffice to say the better half would have a fit if she knew the real price of my speakers :ohmy:, but on the other hand getting them direct from Mike ensures a top class SOTA 2 way speaker (is there such a thing :P) that many of the big boys would be really proud off, but not the escalated prices they charge.

These are going to be my last speaker upgrade for a looooooooong time (says he getting them upgraded by Mike only a couple of years after getting the ML3's), so am getting Mike to put in all his bells & whistles (how Mike, Craig, etc. work out what to do with the 'tweaks' is just :huh: to me).

• Bank balance happy - No Way :ban:
  • My ears - YES 110% :party
  • My sanity (nope, certifiable) :na:
Edited by Celts88
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Celts88 said:

Don't spoil the fun :na:

All the Rangers supporters I know have small two way  speakers now that I think about it.

What is that about?

41 minutes ago, THOMO said:

All the Rangers supporters I know have small two way  speakers now that I think about it.

What is that about?

Thomo

Rangers supporters died off in 2012, but plenty of Sevco Zombies stoating around at the moment (for others not into Scottish Football is an ongoing joke, too long to explain).

The Sevco supporters are running around with Bose speakers thinking they've got a great deal, but we know better :na:

Mate, offer still open if your down my way to come and hear Mike's speakers when I get them back (Coke Can's et al :P)

Edited by Celts88

On 3/13/2018 at 1:32 PM, AudioGeek said:

Is my point source horn and AE bass driver considered a 2 way or 3 way?

With the PSE-144 horn, the tweeter and mids share the same horn and their outputs combine at the throat. These two bands then share matching radiation characteristics. In some ways it does behave like a 2 way system. However, since a crossover is in place I'd still class them as a 3 way system. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Red Spade Audio said:

In some ways it does behave like a 2 way system. However, since a crossover is in place I'd still class them as a 3 way system. 

• Behaves like a 2 way - arghhh, the end of the world is nigh :emot-bang:
  • Still classed as a 3 way - praise the Lord, we are redeemed :party

Edited by Celts88

• Administrator

Edited.

If the discussion is finished and we're just going to post a bunch of emojis like all those I've just deleted, then maybe it's time to just close the thread?

19 minutes ago, Marc said:

Edited.

If the discussion is finished and we're just going to post a bunch of emojis like all those I've just deleted, then maybe it's time to just close the thread?

Well yes.

That was my point,which obviously didn't go down well.

Sorry.

2 hours ago, Red Spade Audio said:

With the PSE-144 horn, the tweeter and mids share the same horn and their outputs combine at the throat. These two bands then share matching radiation characteristics. In some ways it does behave like a 2 way system. However, since a crossover is in place I'd still class them as a 3 way system. 

Tecnicalities...

Ill have a foot in both camps then.

• Like 1

I think there have been some very good points made in support of two way speakers here.

Of particular merit are the arguments that crossovers can be simpler and less intrusive and have a lower parts value which makes them more economical and which means more can be spent on the quality of those components and other key ingredients.Mike's point that a three way using 8 ohm drivers with a crossover at say 200 Hz requires massive inductors is a very good one.

As I write this I am listening to some vintage Tannoy two ways.Still one of my favourite speakers.

I am also tempted to build some Devore Orangutan type two ways to see if I can replicate that sound .

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, THOMO said:

I think there have been some very good points made in support of two way speakers here.

I agree... so time to change the thread title now? :blink: :D

I'm stickin' with 2.5 way, just in case. ;)

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, JSmith said:

I agree... so time to change the thread title now? :blink: :D

I'm stickin' with 2.5 way, just in case. ;)

JSmith :ninja:

Oh! a fence sitter ay!

FS.jpg.178d7b11bc65b678965db98a30f65989.jpg

2 hours ago, THOMO said:

Of particular merit are the arguments that crossovers can be simpler and less intrusive and have a lower parts value which makes them more economical and which means more can be spent on the quality of those components and other key ingredients.Mike's point that a three way using 8 ohm drivers with a crossover at say 200 Hz requires massive inductors is a very good one.

As I write this I am listening to some vintage Tannoy two ways.Still one of my favourite speakers.

I am also tempted to build some Devore Orangutan type two ways to see if I can replicate that sound .

Would you like some alnicos to play with.......?

i can organise the silver inductors, copper or silver foil caps, silver litz, all you have to do is come up with the Russian birch ply and I'll supply my bank details. Simplze.

38 minutes ago, guru said:

Would you like some alnicos to play with.......?

i can organise the silver inductors, copper or silver foil caps, silver litz, all you have to do is come up with the Russian birch ply and I'll supply my bank details. Simplze.

I think i might try some solid jarrah ones and I have some pretty special jarrah for the job.

Audio Synergy used to make solid jarrah speakers and they sounded really good.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, THOMO said:

I think i might try some solid jarrah ones and I have some pretty special jarrah for the job.

I want to see the jarrah before I commit . It had want to be pretty special. I should have bought some jarrah Birdseye slabs when I had the opportunity years ago. Missed because I blinked.

9 hours ago, THOMO said:

Hello THOMMO,

I love Jarrah to use and work with and I think a pair of solid Jarrah two ways would have the potential to sound very good indeed, as well as just looking sensational.

We've put the third application of oil, with some bees wax in the last application, to our prototype two way standmounts which we hope to have finished by the end of March. These are natural timber enclosures and the timber is Rosewood. See pic below taken earlier this week. 

Cheers,

Keith

IMG_0537.JPG

• Like 12

1 hour ago, cheekyboy said:

Hello THOMMO,

I love Jarrah to use and work with and I think a pair of solid Jarrah two ways would have the potential to sound very good indeed, as well as just looking sensational.

We've put the third application of oil, with some bees wax in the last application, to our prototype two way standmounts which we hope to have finished by the end of March. These are natural timber enclosures and the timber is Rosewood. See pic below taken earlier this week. 

Cheers,

Keith

IMG_0537.JPG

Hopefully these will make it to @scuzziifor a demo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PKay said:

Hopefully these will make it to @scuzziifor a demo. 

I'm sure they will make the trip down to @scuzzii when we're finished, which is not far off now, with the last application of oil applied this morning [see pics below] and work has already started on the matching Rosewood stands. The internal packing has to be put back into each enclosure along with the crossover networks and the rear panels fitted, which will then need around four applications of oil to bring them up to the standard of the rest of the enclosure. We hope to have them finished and playing again by the end of this month and I'll definitely come back with more information when that happens.

The two way standmount will fill a void for us, as we have been able to offer two single full range loudpseakers in a conical horn design, a two way floorstander bass reflex, a 2.5 way floorstander bass reflex and a three way floorstander bass reflex, but till now, we haven't been able to offer a two way standmount.

Cheers,

Keith

Chamelons 15.3.18.JPG

Cameleons 15.3.18 - 2.JPG

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

I'm sure they will make the trip down to @scuzzii when we're finished, which is not far off now, with the last application of oil applied this morning [see pics below] and work has already started on the matching Rosewood stands. The internal packing has to be put back into each enclosure along with the crossover networks and the rear panels fitted, which will then need around four applications of oil to bring them up to the standard of the rest of the enclosure. We hope to have them finished and playing again by the end of this month and I'll definitely come back with more information when that happens.

The two way standmount will fill a void for us, as we have been able to offer two single full range loudpseakers in a conical horn design, a two way floorstander bass reflex, a 2.5 way floorstander bass reflex and a three way bass reflex, but till now, we haven't been able to offer a two way standmount.

Cheers,

Keith

Chamelons 15.3.18.JPG

Cameleons 15.3.18 - 2.JPG

I'm sure you're probably already aware Keith, but just in case, check out the CITES restrictions on importing and exporting rosewood.

If you ever want to export Rosewood products it's possible but painful!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darryl said:

I'm sure you're probably already aware Keith, but just in case, check out the CITES restrictions on importing and exporting rosewood.

Thanks for the tip, Darryl, but Tony has plenty of Rosewood at the moment, so we would have no immediate need to procure more and I doubt very much we will ever need to worry about shipping a loudspeaker made of Rosewood overseas. These are a prototype pair and we have three or four other natural timbers we have considered offering them in, including Jarrah.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darryl said:

It's Australian native rosewood Darryl.

1 minute ago, mikey d said:

It's Australian native rosewood Darryl.

It is indeed, Mike, but I can understand the trouble you could have if you had a musical instrument for instance made of Rosewood and being forced to show the provenance of the wood before you could travel with it......... PITA! The Rosewood we're using hasn't come from a Brazilian rainforest and regardless, I can't see that it will be an issue for our standmounts.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

I’m listening to my ML1 Ref at the moment running through a Lavardin IT and I have to say they sound fantastic. I have just been adjusting the position trying to apply some of 1/5 rule the Dynaudio guy was highlighting. Louis Armstrong sounds like he is in my room. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Celts88 said:

PKay

For us luddites what's that?

Not a luddite, I just found the link myself. I actually had my speakers too far into the room to get the best bass.

• Like 1