The first Song that you remember

Hi All, I thought that it would be cool to start a thread to discuss and/or to state the very first song that you heard, regardless of your age at the time of first hearing it or it's genre, the first song that is still with you today perhaps in some strange way, did it influence you ? and how ? I will start the ball rolling, my first song that I remember that really captivated me and still does is "Those were the days " sung by Mary Hopkin,  and produced by Paul McCartney, I was 7 years old, I sang that song to death as a kid and it still travels with me, don't have a copy of it though, funny that, prior to that, about a year earlier, I remember a coupe of my siblings and a couple of friends plus myself were playing together in the sun room with the radio on in the background and it was playing The Beatles " I am the Walrus " and I remember that we all stopped playing towards the end of the song, listened to the rest of it and we began rolling around the floor in fits of laughter, had no idea of The Beatles at such an age, but still, very witty and funny all the same, how about you ? what is your first song that got you ? let's hear it !

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Being the youngest sibling of six, with the oldest being 15 years my elder, having a father who was into 60's hifi and lounge/jazz, and a mother of Spanish decent who enjoyed her native song, I remember contracting tinitus at the age of 3 months. It's still with me to this day and I have no intention of obtaining a copy of it. Funny that.

Edited by t_mike
  • Like 1

G'day Folks.  I don't know if this is the first song I 'remember', but definitely the first song that I loved.  I'm almost embarrassed to admit it (Not Really), but...

I think it was from one of Dad's Readers Digest Boxes.  The song was 'Puppet On A String' from the Record 'Clarinets On Gold'.  It's a memory that both delights and haunts me to this day.

Cheers Big Ears.

Nearing Christmas break my primary school teacher brought a portable record player into class.

She only had a few 45's but the one she played over and over was the Double A sided "Step Back" and "Cara-lyn" by Johnny Young.

Decades later it still haunts me, as if it has a Manchurian Candidate or Seinfeld Witchy Woman presence.

• Like 1

Guest Hensa

My earliest recalled music (rather than a ‘song’) was Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture which was, along with Beethoven’s 9th, my father’s favourite classical music. To this day, they are also mine.

My earliest memory of a song was Yellow Submarine as Dad used to get us singing along to it on long drives. It is now probably my least liked Beatles song, though it still puts a smile on my face when I hear it.

First song I remember? Hard to say really. I think my earliest memories are from playing my parents 78rpm records on their HMV wind-up gramophone player when I was a kid in the UK. I was probably 5 or 6 at the time. The songs were mostly from 50s musicals. I used to play them over and over, but it was mostly for the fun of playing with the gramophone, I can't say that any of those songs have really stayed with me, although those childhood memories do tend to come back whenever I hear them. Unfortunately, during an argument with my mother one day, my father picked up the stack of 78s and brought them crashing down on the corner of the dining room table. I was mortified, all that was left were broken fragments, none of it was playable any more. I soon got over it though and found other toys to play with (my mother still reminds me from to time about the old clock that I broke when I took it apart to see how it worked - well, she did give it to me to keep me quiet!)

No, the music that has really stayed with me is what I listened to in my teenage years. Almost everything that The Beatles recorded. Also for some reason The Kinks "Waterloo Sunset" has stayed with me, I just love the guitar work and the way it flows. The Who's "Baba O'Riley" is another one. That, and "Behind Blue Eyes", both high points for the Who in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emesbee said:

First song I remember? Hard to say really. I think my earliest memories are from playing my parents 78rpm records on their HMV wind-up gramophone player when I was a kid in the UK. I was probably 5 or 6 at the time. The songs were mostly from 50s musicals. I used to play them over and over, but it was mostly for the fun of playing with the gramophone, I can't say that any of those songs have really stayed with me, although those childhood memories do tend to come back whenever I hear them. Unfortunately, during an argument with my mother one day, my father picked up the stack of 78s and brought them crashing down on the corner of the dining room table. I was mortified, all that was left were broken fragments, none of it was playable any more. I soon got over it though and found other toys to play with (my mother still reminds me from to time about the old clock that I broke when I took it apart to see how it worked - well, she did give it to me to keep me quiet!)

No, the music that has really stayed with me is what I listened to in my teenage years. Almost everything that The Beatles recorded. Also for some reason The Kinks "Waterloo Sunset" has stayed with me, I just love the guitar work and the way it flows. The Who's "Baba O'Riley" is another one. That, and "Behind Blue Eyes", both high points for the Who in my opinion.

Ours were 78's and also in the U.K:thumb: Being only 2,3,4, I couldn't touch the records. I watched those magic black discs spin for hours and not being able to read,I memorised all the labels in the centre. I could point out which were my favourites. My mother said my first choice most times was 'Hernando's Hideaway'. Tango. I had a taste for world music at an early age it seems. :)

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble

4 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Ours were 78's and also in the U.K:thumb: Being only 2,3,4, I couldn't touch the records. I watched those magic black discs spin for hours and not being able to read,I memorised all the labels in the centre. I could point out which were my favourites. My mother said my first choice most times was 'Hernando's Hideaway'. Tango. I had a taste for world music at an early age it seems. :)

I'm trying to remember some of the old 78's. Doris Day singing "The Black Hills of Dakota" was one of them. Also the song from High Noon,  "Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin'", presumably by Tex Ritter. There were quite a lot more, but they seem to have faded from memory. "Hernando's Hideaway" seems to ring a bell though, so was quite possibly one of them.

34 minutes ago, emesbee said:

I'm trying to remember some of the old 78's. Doris Day singing "The Black Hills of Dakota" was one of them. Also the song from High Noon,  "Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin'", presumably by Tex Ritter. There were quite a lot more, but they seem to have faded from memory. "Hernando's Hideaway" seems to ring a bell though, so was quite possibly one of them.

Frankie 'Rawhide' Laine sang the version I know of "Do Not Forsake Me...."

We also has this on 78 which I liked and still do.

I've just had a listen to both the Frankie Lane and Tex Ritter versions of 'Do Not Forsake Me...' on youtube. The Tex Ritter version seems to hit my memory chords due  to his deeper voice, also don't remember the harmony vocals. Hard to be certain though, 50+ years after hearing it through the horn of a wind-up gramophone! :)

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 1

Impossible to remember exactly, my dad played early Beatles and Elvis 45's.My godfather's daughter used to play Susie Quatro's Can The Can whilst we sat on the floor in ' 73. 2SM was the station I listened to at the time. I remember around 1975 Kiss' Rock and Roll All Night making me go, "whooa, what's going on here?"  Curiosity Killed The Cat by Little River Band was another one that came out that same year. 

The radio was usually on in my house (ABC am), so there are probably lots of songs I know from my young days that I first recognised from the radio, even though I never was able to identify the title/artis for decades (eg. Mancini's "Baby Elephant Walk").  

One song I do remember from my early days (when I was at preschool), was the Serendipity Singers "Beans in my Ears".  It's a simple song that would appeal to a young person.  I have a distinct memory of being in the kitchen singing "My mommy said not to put beans in my ears, Beans in my ears, beans in my ears..." (repeat).  My mother turned to me and said in her very stern "don't mess with me" voice: "Don't you go putting beans in your ears!" (as if she had caught me in the act of doing that).  I recall looking at her thinking how stupid she was not to understand that I actually knew the difference between a silly song lyric and appropriate safe behaviour. 

• Like 2

It wasn't a case of song but songs as my dad was constantly playing music at home. I have no memory of T.V until we arrived in Australia. All his records were 78's in England. He even brought them to Australia when we migrated.

Anyway this is another he had on 78. Great song and a tremendous voice. You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry was the 'b' side.

Tennessee Ernie Ford - 16 Tons.

• Like 1

My earliest memory of a song comes from my favourite TV show as a kid

And my mum loves telling the story of me as a very young lad snuggled in a bean bag listening to my dad’s Billy Connolly record

09910647f847fa73e7d17d5091e239c7.jpg
Apparently I would go into a giggle fit when he makes this fart noise Apparently
  • Like 1