Marantz AV8805. Worth waiting for?

2 hours ago, cwt said:

Yes the NAD does dts-x . it doesnt do dts-x pro but that doesnt matter as its a 11ch processor so not compatible B|

yes doubt DTS-X pro is a concern for D as not planning heights... but if indeed considering heights and DTS-X pro. that is quite a watch out between the brands ! seeing the table below that krobar pulled tougher 

Key - DTS:X Pro / Auro / CH+VOG / VOG Only / CH Only

Denon / Marantz - Most 13 Channel models - Yes / Yes / Yes (7.1.4+) / Yes (7.1.4+) / Yes (7.1.4+)
Trinnov Altitude - Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
Storm Audio Mk2 - Soon / Yes / Yes / Yes? / Yes?
Arcam / JBL Synth / Audiocontrol - Current Models - Soon? / Yes / Yes / No / No
Anthem - 2020 Models - Yes / No / No? / No? / No?
Monoprice HTP-1 - Soon / Yes / No / No /No

its a credit to the marantz here it covers all the bases... not only with DTS-X pro but also auro3D.  some are real watch outs, where even if say DTS-X pro they dont actually support all the speaker configurations it can handle eg the Ch and Ts(VOG) speaker it supports and really valuable i have found.

auro3D is also surprisingly not supported by so many brands ! which is also a real pity... it really does so well with not only upmixing 2ch but particularly well for music and concerts etc that suit a more front biased mix than you get with the other processing formats...

re the nad i do wonder if there will be a m17V3 where they do add dts-x pro for 7.1.6 (easily done by reallocating the spare subwoofer outs to heights) and theres also add hdmi 2.1 

2 hours ago, cwt said:

Been looking at options myself to replace my yammie 5100

id also hang fire if a yam owner ...as to what yam bring.... I will be very surprised if there isnt a quality processor option for them to fully take advantage latest processing of dts-X pro, auro3D, hdmi 2.1  and such ...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cwt said:

Yes the NAD does dts-x . it doesnt do dts-x pro but that doesnt matter as its a 11ch processor so not compatible B|

Been looking at options myself to replace my yammie 5100 and found the muse manual so heres some light reading if interested in these covid times ?

MUSE User Guide 20190227.pdf

For now, I won’t be able to go 3D surround audio eg Dolby Atmos or DTS-X. 
What happens to your Yammie processor? 

16 minutes ago, Dilatante said:

For now, I won’t be able to go 3D surround audio eg Dolby Atmos or DTS-X. 
What happens to your Yammie processor? 

Trade it in or sell it ; the good thing about it thanks to subs with built in peq you dont have to rely on YPAO ; and your not modifying the signal as much as other options [or thats what I keep telling myself :) ]   

A new yam pre pro could well be coming but I cant see them losing YPAO or licensing Auro 3d unfortunately ; they went backwards with their auto dsp gimmicks last round and auro 3d is more licensing costs . What i like about the muse is it has a clever 7.1 dsp mode that you can switch too to immediately compare the atmos mix with it ; I imagine you cant use some dolby upfiring speakers in the interim ?

I think these revised 2.1 boards for marantz etc wont be cheap when a couple of k's was mentioned by the rogue audio bloke about the muses 2.1 board it has [ the single port so far for the avrs explains the prices ? ] 

• Like 1

Yamaha's heritage with processing goes way back. i suspect they will come through with something pretty tasty. they also dont tend to be just empty boxes inside and with a strong focus on the quality of sound and music. which like marantz has always been pretty important. so suspect soemthing juicy will come. the only other brand in the japanese missing in action are the onkyo/intragra processors but then perhaps far too much water gone under the bridge with those now...

• Like 1

It’s been some good general chat on Av processors in this thread, gene from audioholics , in last month or so had a good discussion, on YouTube  dealing with the Sony is dead thing, leading to some talk on awesome Av gear Sony once did then really talking current state of play with Av processors...what to get, look for amd watch outs is a good part of it....lot of respect for gene ...

On 04/03/2021 at 4:25 AM, betty boop said:

It’s been some good general chat on Av processors in this thread, gene from audioholics , in last month or so had a good discussion, on YouTube  dealing with the Sony is dead thing, leading to some talk on awesome Av gear Sony once did then really talking current state of play with Av processors...what to get, look for amd watch outs is a good part of it....lot of respect for gene ...

I love Sony TVs in general, and Sony OLED 4K TV is the best. 

I have an update on the AV8805. So, I was able to get a take home demo model from one local dealer here and was also able to get another take home demo of the NAD M17 v2 from a different hifi store here. I currently have 2 processors plus my Classe SSP 800 to compare. 

First off, for stereo music my Classe SSP 800 sounded the best compared to the other two. hands down. The Classe is more musical more refined quieter and sounding more resolved. The Classe is the king of the hill in stereo coming from an AV preamp surround processor. 
The comparisons were made with my Cary Audio CD 306 SACD player/DAC served as a digital front end source component and I ran XLR balanced analog interconnects to each preamp processor, but I suspect the NAD M17 digitizes its analog audio inputs. 

For surround sound movies (HT) I could easily live with either of them, but the SSP 800 still sounded the best but the NAD M17 v2 with Dirac Live when calibrated properly brings it close to my SSP 800. I’m not a fan of Audyssey at all and wished the Marantz went with either Dirac Live or Room Perfect. But all 3 processors perform fabulous for HT (movies). 
All surround sound comparisons were made in 5.1 since I only have 5.1 HT setup with my Oppo 105 playing bluray disc movies and I ran HDMI cable to each processor. 

If I have to rank all three processors in terms of overall sound quality or sonic fidelity in both stereo and multi-channels I would put the Classe SSP 800 on top, followed by the NAD M17 v2 and the AV8805 last, but pretty darn close between the NAD M17 v2 and the Marantz AV8805 which would make the AV8805 the best value of the bunch since the Marantz is the cheapest of the bunch. 

Most likely I will be getting the NAD M17 v2 for HT and will get a dedicated high end 2ch pre and 2ch power amp or a high end stereo integrated amp for music. I highly consider the PS Audio BHK 2ch analog pre with its matching PS Audio BHK 250 2ch amp which both are hybrid design with tube input stage and SS output stage. I’m also open to a very good high end stereo analog integrated amp. Will see. 

I need to sell my SSP 800 as soon as I can before the issue gets worse. 

Edited by Dilatante
  • Like 1

hi D, so glad to read have had the opportunity to check things out and in own home ! which is best way to go. music and 2ch wise id expect the classe to rule :) shame have to move it on... but i guess everything has its day... and that eventually passes ! 

the nad is indeed a very good thing, shame doesnt do what i need, but still i have recommended to folk myself for good reason. it won home theatre hifi "best off" in 2018, 

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/nad-m17-v2-surround-sound-preamp-processor-review/

the marantz pipped it in 2019... its just newer i think, i suspect there will be a nad m17mk3 at some stage, though i suspect its non concern to you as unlikely to use what it brings in more channel support and later hdmi and such ! 

Interesting re dirac, from what i understand many brands still struggling with the latest version, good to hear you found it good for your needs. re audyssey when folks say they dont like it i always ask if just went with the plain vanilla what it does or tried at all to select / explore anything their liking. on the av8805 its necessary to download their app. its only what $20 or something ... and money well spent ! there is one thing with a touch of button can do is remove the bbc dip audyssey applies by default with the mid range compensation... take that out and vocals and mid range lifts ! the other is often folk say oh it sounds dull or lacking life or something. this is really due to eq curve it uses by default with rolled off top end... which if comparing with other EQ its is going to sound as it is. again here with app its a quick selection from choice of eq curves without the rolled off top end or even choice to eq to heart content ...though this was easier with the audyssey pro in my opinion. the other thing with audyssey is it is back to using its plastic mic and some other brands will be using better mics for better results in my opinion. but still good we have the choice between brands i guess. anyways a couple of things to explore ....

shame to hear feel the nad is digitising its analog inputs. on the marantz i know they actually deal with audio in analog domain for volume. something denon marantz been particular about for handling analog. for 2ch analog inputs, did you remove all the digital stuff - audyssey etc for the marantz as well in comparisons ie back to bare pure and no processing / digital side applied ?

7 hours ago, Dilatante said:

If I have to rank all three processors in terms of overall sound quality or sonic fidelity in both stereo and multi-channels I would put the Classe SSP 800 on top, followed by the NAD M17 v2 and the AV8805 last, but pretty darn close between the NAD M17 v2 and the Marantz AV8805 which would make the AV8805 the best value of the bunch since the Marantz is the cheapest of the bunch. 

good to hear were still pleased amongst what these all did. indeed we are spoilt for choice a little in whats available out there. ps did you try auro3D for 2ch at all ? it does an excellent job for that i think. really useful for concert and music mixes particularly when pcm sourced and such which often get these days and in back catalog. 

7 hours ago, Dilatante said:

Most likely I will be getting the NAD M17 v2 for HT and will get a dedicated high end 2ch pre and 2ch power amp or a high end stereo integrated amp for music. I highly consider the PS Audio BHK 2ch analog pre with its matching PS Audio BHK 250 2ch amp which both are hybrid design with tube input stage and SS output stage. I’m also open to a very good high end stereo analog integrated amp. Will see. 

one option maybe worth checking out is the musical fidelity nu-vista 800 as an integrated

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/catalogerfiles/nu-vista-800/5_MF_Nu-Vista_800_Flier_v1-2_web.pdf

its a hybrid and might float your boat and is pure class. edit it does have ht bypass as well... . :)

6 hours ago, Dilatante said:

For surround sound movies (HT) I could easily live with either of them, but the SSP 800 still sounded the best but the NAD M17 v2 with Dirac Live when calibrated properly brings it close to my SSP 800. I’m not a fan of Audyssey at all and wished the Marantz went with either Dirac Live or Room Perfect. 

Curious Teddy ; as Al mentioned audyssey  can with the app just apply itself to the lower frequencies rather than the whole > 20khz so limiting it to the important frequencies like you can with Dirac;ARC may help ?

Is the Acurus muse out of the picture ? Read nothing but good about its 2ch prowess but then it is pricier than the Marantz for one in the states I believe . Of course it hasnt any complicated auto room eq ; just simple manual PEQ like your ssp800 - a good HAA calibration  is something Ime looking at :)

If you want room perfect there is always Marantz  close twin  Mcintosh ?but that is next level up stuff ..

• Like 1

On 09/03/2021 at 2:35 PM, betty boop said:

hi D, so glad to read have had the opportunity to check things out and in own home ! which is best way to go. music and 2ch wise id expect the classe to rule :) shame have to move it on... but i guess everything has its day... and that eventually passes ! 

the nad is indeed a very good thing, shame doesnt do what i need, but still i have recommended to folk myself for good reason. it won home theatre hifi "best off" in 2018, 

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/nad-m17-v2-surround-sound-preamp-processor-review/

the marantz pipped it in 2019... its just newer i think, i suspect there will be a nad m17mk3 at some stage, though i suspect its non concern to you as unlikely to use what it brings in more channel support and later hdmi and such ! 

Interesting re dirac, from what i understand many brands still struggling with the latest version, good to hear you found it good for your needs. re audyssey when folks say they dont like it i always ask if just went with the plain vanilla what it does or tried at all to select / explore anything their liking. on the av8805 its necessary to download their app. its only what $20 or something ... and money well spent ! there is one thing with a touch of button can do is remove the bbc dip audyssey applies by default with the mid range compensation... take that out and vocals and mid range lifts ! the other is often folk say oh it sounds dull or lacking life or something. this is really due to eq curve it uses by default with rolled off top end... which if comparing with other EQ its is going to sound as it is. again here with app its a quick selection from choice of eq curves without the rolled off top end or even choice to eq to heart content ...though this was easier with the audyssey pro in my opinion. the other thing with audyssey is it is back to using its plastic mic and some other brands will be using better mics for better results in my opinion. but still good we have the choice between brands i guess. anyways a couple of things to explore ....

shame to hear feel the nad is digitising its analog inputs. on the marantz i know they actually deal with audio in analog domain for volume. something denon marantz been particular about for handling analog. for 2ch analog inputs, did you remove all the digital stuff - audyssey etc for the marantz as well in comparisons ie back to bare pure and no processing / digital side applied ?

good to hear were still pleased amongst what these all did. indeed we are spoilt for choice a little in whats available out there. ps did you try auro3D for 2ch at all ? it does an excellent job for that i think. really useful for concert and music mixes particularly when pcm sourced and such which often get these days and in back catalog. 

one option maybe worth checking out is the musical fidelity nu-vista 800 as an integrated

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/catalogerfiles/nu-vista-800/5_MF_Nu-Vista_800_Flier_v1-2_web.pdf

its a hybrid and might float your boat and is pure class. edit it does have ht bypass as well... . :)

Hi there, sorry for the delay in responding.

Yes, I did download the the Audyssey app and removed the bbc dip that Audyssey applies by default and while it improved vocals / midrange but IMO the way NAD M17 v2 is still a bit better overall for surround sound movies and 2ch music when both units were used as a digital stereo pre but without room correction when I ran a coax digital cable from my Cary CD 306 SACD player for CD playbacks, and in that same regard the SSP 800 also sounded better than both NAD & Marantz. 

Yes, when comparing the 8805 as a pure analog 2ch pre I did remove and bypass DSP and all the digital processings including the Audyssey etc in the Marantz and the 8805 worked as a pure analog 2ch pre but still couldn’t compare to my SSP 800 in 2ch. They aren’t in the same league. The 8805 sounded decent in stereo for music both when used as an analog 2ch pre or digital 2ch pre using its onboard DAC. But all DACs in all these 3 av processors cannot match those in my Cary CD 306 SACD player when I ran XLR analog out of the Cary. Well....to start with my Cary CD 306 SACD player/DAC did retail for USD $8k when purchased brand new but has been discontinued sometime ago. And it has 4 main transformers power supplies each feeding separate power delivery to each section : digital, DAC, analog output stage circuitry and control circuitry. The Cary is equipped with 8 DAC chips for both channels in dual differential configurations : 4 DAC chips for dedicated DSD (SACD) playbacks and the other 4 for dedicated PCM playbacks. 

I get to keep both the Marantz and the NAD for 2 weeks and I still have another 6 days left to return them to 2 different hifi stores. I need to make a decision between the 8805 and the NAD M17 v2. So far I tend to lean toward the NAD but they both are great when used for surround sound processor for movies (HT) with the NAD slightly edges out the Marantz. 

As for my dedicated 2ch pre/power amp combo or 2ch integrated amp I also highly consider the Musical Fidelity NuVista 600 or 800 but I think the 800 would be overkill for my speakers ?. Thanks for the tips re Musical FidelityNuVista integrated. I also consider other integrated options such as the Pass integrated or the Levinson. Heard that a new Classe Delta line 2ch integrated amp will be launched sometime next year but will be very expensive most likely more than the MF NuVista 800. Or I might as well go with the PS Audio BHK pre & stereo power amp separates but figure I can save some $$ for a pair of XLR analog interconnects if I go with an integrated amp. 

Will keep you guys posted whether I would keep the 8805 or the NAD M17 v2. 
Thanks again.

On 09/03/2021 at 7:59 PM, cwt said:

Curious Teddy ; as Al mentioned audyssey  can with the app just apply itself to the lower frequencies rather than the whole > 20khz so limiting it to the important frequencies like you can with Dirac;ARC may help ?

Is the Acurus muse out of the picture ? Read nothing but good about its 2ch prowess but then it is pricier than the Marantz for one in the states I believe . Of course it hasnt any complicated auto room eq ; just simple manual PEQ like your ssp800 - a good HAA calibration  is something Ime looking at :)

If you want room perfect there is always Marantz  close twin  Mcintosh ?but that is next level up stuff ..

Hi there, sorry for the delay response. 
I’m still waiting for a response back from Cello Technologies Seattle re the Acurus Muse. 

Re McIntosh Room Perfect room correction built in their flagship MX160 processor yes heard great things about Room Perfect and specifically MX160 but retails for USD $14k here and has many channels that I won’t be needing. The McIntosh MX1223, which is their lower end av processor, is much more affordable at USD $6500 here but uses Audyssey and isn’t worth considering when plan on spending that kind of money, the 8805 offers much greater value IMO at USD $4500 or less here and highly doubt that the MX123 will perform that much better than the 8805. For around USD $6500 the NAD M17 v2, which also retails for USD $6500 here, is more worthy contender than the MX123 imo. 

Speaking of the MX160, we did compare its 2ch analog performance with the SSP 800 at one dealer who had both at the time and the SSP 800 still sounded better in 2ch. But the MX160 performed better in surrounds for movies hands down. 

11 hours ago, Dilatante said:

Hi there, sorry for the delay response. 
I’m still waiting for a response back from Cello Technologies Seattle re the Acurus Muse. 

The muse is pretty unique sitting between the well known makes and the uber processors for which you pay for things like assignable output  channels and dirac bass control . Add ons can handle that if needed ..

I hope they make the effort to reply ; I was reading a hometheater review and noticed this ssp reference to the muses big brother the ACT4 which has similar circuitry:) Interesting to see where they manufacture ' hi tolerance components come to mind ..

For what it's worth, just calculating my parametric EQ adjustments on my own with a tablet of graph paper and a few hours of effort resulted in astonishingly good results. But, of course, no amount of equalization can compensate for a surround processor whose performance is lacking to begin with. Thankfully, the ACT 4 stands alongside some of the finest preamps I've auditioned here at home in terms of sound quality. The best description I can come up with is this: take the sound of a Classé SSP, sweeten it ever so slightly, add a touch of airy spaciousness, and crank up the dynamic punch just a skosh.

The Acurus ACT 4 is made in America! Ignoring the handful of components that have to be imported (like the Texas Instrument DSPs), the preamp is built by Key Electronics in Jeffersonville, IN--a highly respected manufacturing facility that primarily serves the aerospace/defense and medical industries.

Indy Audio Labs Acurus ACT 4 AV Preamp Reviewed - HomeTheaterReview

• 3 weeks later...

Yea actually. After various attempts at identifying the root cause, I couldn’t. So I shipped it back to Qualifi/Marantz. They were able to replicate the issue after a few days and eventually identified the HDMI board was faulty. So they replaced that with a new one and shipped it back. 

Happy to say I have had none of that issue since. Loving the system once more and it sounds beautiful, even without Audyssey calibration - which I will run once I get my surrounds and rears up to the correct height (they are a little low to the ground at the moment)

I have experienced one issue a couple times where if I paused the show I’m watching then I pause, the channels get mixed up, for example the centre channel dialog comes from the right surround. Switching sound mode to Dolby surround/atmos immediately fixes the issue. And this has only happened a handful of times in many weeks so am not concerned. 

Thanks for following up :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The guys at Qualifi are brilliant to deal with and are really great to chat with. I've the exact same setup and thankfully no issues like yours. The 8805 is a brilliant piece of equipment and paired with my 2 x HD7 Elektra it's on a whole other level

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SUPCIN said:

The guys at Qualifi are brilliant to deal with and are really great to chat with. I've the exact same setup and thankfully no issues like yours. The 8805 is a brilliant piece of equipment and paired with my 2 x HD7 Elektra it's on a whole other level

As you have the same amp/processor setup as me, may I ask if you use XLR for all the connections to the amps?

if so, what level do you output each channel? I basically had to set all channels to at least -6dB otherwise they were all too hot and sounded clipped. 

1 hour ago, scottrichardson said:

As you have the same amp/processor setup as me, may I ask if you use XLR for all the connections to the amps?

if so, what level do you output each channel? I basically had to set all channels to at least -6dB otherwise they were all too hot and sounded clipped. 

did you run audyssey  ?

i use XLR... keep in mind you will get 6db gain via xls vs RCA. -6db is fine....

what levels get is related to efficiency of speakers and output of marantz vs multichannel amp and then location of speakers and any room gain.

edit... ps i might merge this into the 8805 thread :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, betty boop said:

did you run audyssey  ?

i use XLR... keep in mind you will get 6db gain via xls vs RCA. -6db is fine....

what levels get is related to efficiency of speakers and output of marantz vs multichannel amp and then location of speakers and any room gain.

edit... ps i might merge this into the 8805 thread :) 

I haven’t run Audyssey yet. Back when I had an 8802 I did run it and it did set my channels to pretty low like -6 to -8dB. 

I will probably run it soon to see if there’s a genuine improvement. 

when I run my channels at 0dB, my audio sounds strained and harsh like the channel gains are sending too much voltage to the Elektras and sounds ever so clipped. 

I haven’t run Audyssey yet. Back when I had an 8802 I did run it and it did set my channels to pretty low like -6 to -8dB. 

I will probably run it soon to see if there’s a genuine improvement. 

when I run my channels at 0dB, my audio sounds strained and harsh like the channel gains are sending too much voltage to the Elektras and sounds ever so clipped. 

hi scott... id certainly encourage to run audyssey... buy the app its only 20usd ~$30 or something  ...-6 or -8db as trims is fine... and yes if boosting 6-8db instead i can understand ... a 3db gain requires double power, 6db 4 times the power and so on...

53 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hi scott... id certainly encourage to run audyssey... buy the app its only 20usd ~$30 or something  ...-6 or -8db as trims is fine... and yes if boosting 6-8db instead i can understand ... a 3db gain requires double power, 6db 4 times the power and so on...

fantastic!

yes got the app. I did run Audyssey before I shipped the unit back for repairs. But I’d run the sweeps via the unit and not the app. So the sweeps never appeared in the app. 

so I’ll run them again via the app and see how we go. I might run some sweeps with REW if I can work out how to target individual channels via my MacBook Pro. (Any tips?). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scottrichardson said:

fantastic!

yes got the app. I did run Audyssey before I shipped the unit back for repairs. But I’d run the sweeps via the unit and not the app. So the sweeps never appeared in the app. 

so I’ll run them again via the app and see how we go. I might run some sweeps with REW if I can work out how to target individual channels via my MacBook Pro. (Any tips?). 

not running rew, found no need.

I’ve just run the app, though would use iPad next time, for bigger screen. Not sure if app available on App Store for Mac book, didn’t try that.

but yes give run on the app, it’s quick seamless ... gives choices. Only thing I found need to do way remove mid range compensation - the bbc dip audyssey uses by default :) - it gives you this choice when going through  :)

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, betty boop said:

not running rew, found no need.

I’ve just run the app, though would use iPad next time, for bigger screen. Not sure if app available on App Store for Mac book, didn’t try that.

but yes give run on the app, it’s quick seamless ... gives choices. Only thing I found need to do way remove mid range compensation - the bbc dip audyssey uses by default :) - it gives you this choice when going through  :)

I will definitely remove the midrange cut. You’ve piqued my interest so I might run the setup this evening. 

what volume do you set your master volume to when running the tests? Or does it do it automatically? 

I have already run REW and have placed a curve on my sub via a mini DSP. It’s not great honestly because my seat to seat variation is really high. So I EQ’d for the best response at my front middle seat. I kinda need another sub but that will require a bit of a remodel in my room to run power and cables to the back of the room. 

I will definitely remove the midrange cut. You’ve piqued my interest so I might run the setup this evening. 

what volume do you set your master volume to when running the tests? Or does it do it automatically? 

yes all done automatically nothing to worry about

I have already run REW and have placed a curve on my sub via a mini DSP. It’s not great honestly because my seat to seat variation is really high. So I EQ’d for the best response at my front middle seat. I kinda need another sub but that will require a bit of a remodel in my room to run power and cables to the back of the room. 

audyssey does a very good job for subs I find

With audyssey you can do a measure around main listening position . Ie tight 300mm clustered around. I’d give it a run for 8 measurements across 3 seats as they suggest though ... might be surprised.

2 subs it does very well too. True dual discrete ... so when time comes it will do wonderful job in integration :) but yes location location location first eq will do it’s best on top of that :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

some good news via jdsmoothie on AVSforum, 'A' upgrade announcement in may and coming in june/july. thank fully its not going to have any of issues of current gen and must be 2nd gen hdmi board...

[QUOTE="jdsmoothie, post: 60691741, member: 7847949"]

Okay ... so the "A" upgrade as well as the new production AV8805A units will not require using the SPK618 adapter kit but rather will include a new HDMI 2.1 board with no 4k/120Hz or 8K video passing issues.    Look for an official announcement late May with the "A" upgrade likely to be available by June/July.

[/QUOTE]

Whether need the update or not, id suggest even just for resale to get it, these things are usually only available for a limited period and once gone they are gone :)

• Like 1