One hit wonders that you rarely hear again!

1 minute ago, Licorice pizza said:

Nope. On The Border, from that album, also was a major hit here. And his follow up album Time Passages?

I loved the album, also but those other songs and albums didn't go very well here. Obviously it was different in the USA.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2018 at 4:06 AM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Harpers Bizarre - 59 St. Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)

Ted Templeman, the blond shortie in the photo, became a huge rock producer. Van Halen and the Doobies being just two of his major acts.

Edited by Licorice pizza
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rantan said:

I loved the album, also but those other songs and albums didn't go very well here. Obviously it was different in the USA.

They picked a lot of potential radio hits here and they sold, since it’s all about the $$$$ in the US market. YOTC and Time Passages are excellent albums, even without the hits. Many AOR stations here played deep cuts from them as well which boosted sales even more.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 5:42 PM, Ian McP said:

catch the film Call Me By Your Name now showing features a memorable scene with this classic!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/dec/22/the-50-top-films-of-2017-no-1-call-me-by-your-name

They had lotsa hits after that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rantan said:

I cant comprehend that it wasnt until the Beatles released I wanna hold your hand in the US that  they hit big , then again ABBA was comparatively big down here which says something about other bands popularity I guess .

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cwt said:

I cant comprehend that it wasnt until the Beatles released I wanna hold your hand in the US that  they hit big , then again ABBA was comparatively big down here which says something about other bands popularity I guess .

ABBA was huge in the US. I always admired the Beatles rationale about not coming to America till they had a #1 hit. 

36 minutes ago, Licorice pizza said:

ABBA was huge in the US. I always admired the Beatles rationale about not coming to America till they had a #1 hit. 

Was that them or the management?

Edited by LogicprObe
Grandma.........
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Licorice pizza said:

Yes ; we went overboard though ; sweden had 3 no;1s we had 6 :classic_smile:

Yes better safe than sorry for the beatles ' brian epstein ' i wonder what the reception would have been after say she loves you and please please me ' love me do had ben released ..

Always the question of disc distribution though of which I have no knowledge B|

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cwt said:

Yes ; we went overboard though ; sweden had 3 no;1s we had 6 :classic_smile:

Yes better safe than sorry for the beatles ' brian epstein ' i wonder what the reception would have been after say she loves you and please please me ' love me do had ben released ..

Always the question of disc distribution though of which I have no knowledge B|

Well, what’s that saying about “a prophet has no honor in his own land”?😂

On 03/01/2018 at 2:03 PM, Wimbo said:

It's amazing how your perspective changes as you get older. Loved this track back in 71 but listening to it again, the guy's a bloody dole bludger who initially turns down a job then goes around pointing the finger at everyone eise that works. Even the bloody priest that doesnt get a hand out from the church and has to send a plate around to survive!! Still a great track though.

• Like 2

On 11/07/2022 at 3:40 PM, Licorice pizza said:

Still one of my favorite songs and it’s only 9 miles away from us.

Just looked where your from Sonny Barger died the other day huh. Last of the Bikers as we knew them.

https://www.what-song.com/Movies/Soundtrack/543/Easy-Rider

One of my favourite albums.

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 2

were they a one hit band? was this a hit?

dunno. only just found out it was penned by Cat Stevens.

anyway....here it be, and it's a song certainly worthy of a 60's hit:

Edited by zippi
  • Like 5

On 19/07/2022 at 10:15 AM, zippi said:

were they a one hit band? was this a hit?

dunno. only just found out it was penned by Cat Stevens.

anyway....here it be, and it's a song certainly worthy of a 60's hit:

I didn't know this was the original version, I'm pretty sure the version I've heard was sung by a woman, but I don't who she was.

Are you sure it was written by Cat Stevens?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/98.6_(song)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emesbee said:

I didn't know this was the original version, I'm pretty sure the version I've heard was sung by a woman, but I don't who she was.

Are you sure it was written by Cat Stevens?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/98.6_(song)

re CS not a 100% sure though that's flagged on the official YT posting and also discogs....

• Like 1