Cheeky's front room - new system unit.

Nice new cabinet and great setup Keith.

On a small topic, one the photos the alignment of the tweeter and the woofer look offset. I assume that this is done to time-align the tweeters to the woofer. I haven't checked my references but doesn't the tweeter need to be offset further away from the listener than the woofer, ie, the tweeters need to be on the outside not set between the woofers in the stereo pair. If I was to walk into the room without knowing anything about your system (I don't) then I would say that you have your left and right speakers the wrong way around. Was this intentional?

G'day Frizzo, thanks for the kind comments on the unit, I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out and it does match up well...........in that end of the room anyway. I'm not going to show you the rest of the room!:)

The woofer and tweeter in the speakers are offset and it's not done so much for time alignment of the drivers [that's more in the vertical plane with drivers forward or back], rather when you see a speaker like that, it's generally for dispersion of phase and diffraction effects and reduces the path length to the cabinets inside surface or face. In this arrangement, the tweeter should be closest to the inside panel of the speaker when you look at it from the front, such as in a stereo pair of speakers. You could put the tweeter to the outside as you suggest and it probably wouldn't make a huge difference, but you would be defeating the purpose of the offset.

Cheers,

Keith

If you are talking about the speakers in this thread, they are both flush with the flat front baffle. The tweeters sit closer to one edge and this is often done due to diffraction considerations. It means the distance from tweeter dome to each edge is different. If they are more uniform then they tend to create response aberrations that are more pronounced. Shifting the tweeter spreads out the effect.

EDIT I see Keith made basically the same point and got in first!

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the front room system..............been working on a pair of three ways and I got them back together today and finished in room, so I thought I put up a few pics. They're sounding pretty sweet too as I got all the tweaking done before the cabs were finished.

LHS bass cab on its lonesome.................

Audax3ways-basscabinroom.jpg

LHS speaker with mid/tweeter cab in place..........

Audax3ways-mid-tweeterbasscabinroom.jpg

RHS speaker complete in room...............

Audax3ways-RHSspeakerinroom.jpg

Cheers,

Keith

Now they're lookin tops! Noice work!!

Poor old ZD5s....

The ZD5s still sound great and I've had them in and playing over the last week or so while I did the top cabs and the veneering. Anyhow, you and dasher had a good session with them before the veneer went on and that hasn't changed the sound at all............the tweeter and mid are the same as before but with a cab over now, no change there either.

Must say that I love your work CB.

Now when can I get a listen in??

Would be a pleasure to have you around for a listen anytime joz so we better organise it..........I just hope you won't be largely underwhelmed by the DIY offerings is all! Are you going to Graham's swap meet on Saturday?, we could have a chat there, or I'll drop you a PM and work something out.

Thanks for the kind words......they've come up looking fairly good.

Cheers,

Keith

Very nice Keith , by the looks of them they look bloody solid too.

Perfect match with the unit as well.

When are you taking orders ? :)

Thanks for the kind words Willow.........purely for my own enjoyment thus far and I can't see that changing any time soon!:)

Very nicely done, Keith ... did you do the veneering yourself?

Thanks Keith............yes I'm responsible for the veneering, good or bad unfortunately. My kids tell me I always put my mark somewhere on my projects, and this one is no exception.:(

Cheers,

Keith

They look terrific Keith. Luckily I've had the pleasure of listening to them albeit the early nude version. Have to get down and have another listen soon. Some day time pics would look great.

Thanks mate, and you know anytime is okay to come for a listen. I'll take some day time pics tomorrow and stick them up........I think they'll look better too.

Cheers,

Keith

Guest Bodhisattva

Congratulations on a great looking room Cheeky. It has heaps of character & nice use of timbers too :) I like your vinyl rig & new 3 way stack...just a tip, try putting a maybe 3mm custom-cut piece of high density acoustic foam in between the tweeter box & bass which will reduce resonance.

Would love to have the opportunity to meet up with you & hear your system some time!

Cheers,

Bodhi

Congratulations on a great looking room Cheeky. It has heaps of character & nice use of timbers too :) I like your vinyl rig & new 3 way stack...just a tip, try putting a maybe 3mm custom-cut piece of high density acoustic foam in between the tweeter box & bass which will reduce resonance.

Would love to have the opportunity to meet up with you & hear your system some time!

Cheers,

Bodhi

Of course you're always welcome to come anytime for a listen Bodhi..........I've got the isolation worked out so far with four balls of Blu-Tack and although I'm looking for an alternative, knowing me the Blu-Tack will be it for a while yet!

Cheers,

Keith

Looks great. Great work again Keith, I may have to swing over for a listen next time I get a chance if thats OK (I also have a heap of questions to ask that I didn't get around to because I was too caught up in the music)

Only thing, after my last visit I developed a case of hifi envy and slipped into a mild depression as my kit sounded so dull and lifeless in comparison :)

Looks great. Great work again Keith, I may have to swing over for a listen next time I get a chance if thats OK (I also have a heap of questions to ask that I didn't get around to because I was too caught up in the music)

Only thing, after my last visit I developed a case of hifi envy and slipped into a mild depression as my kit sounded so dull and lifeless in comparison :)

Likewise Steve, you're more than welcome anytime to call in for another listen. The three ways are quiet different to the ZD5 two ways you listened to, but they are anything but dull and lifeless.......I think you'll like them.:)

Cheers,

Keith

Beautiful looking Keith - I am very impressed with the look and finish of these. They go so nicely with your main cabinet.

This room has evolved so nicely since I first saw it when I joined SNA. I only wish I had spent more time in it at the GTG instead of outside working on my turntable!

Thanks Richard and Grumps, they've turned out pretty good both in appearance and SQ. We'll have a chat at Graham's re getting together again for another listen Richard, and Grumps, we must talk about getting you over here for a short stay too........I'm sure there are a lot of Melbourne members that would like to meet you in person. Take care.

BTW, I like the new avatar grumps, but can we have the DDD back soon?:)

Cheers,

Keikth

Here's a thought Cheeky, bring the 3 ways over with you and we'll try them out in my room:thumb::)

Thanks about the avatar - just thought the forum could do with some 'Peace man' lately.

Geez mate, they aren't that small and I think SWMBO is going to have something to say about that too! I've noticed some aggro too of late, ah but that could've been me though!:D Peace man.:)

Cheers,

Keith

Hello Keith

I have to say the speakers look solid and sweet.What a great way of setting them up.Considering how good your Adelaide speakers sounded these must be mind blowing.See you didn't skimp on the speaker cables!!!I think Im using the same type.Hopefully we can catch up on your next planed trip to Adelaide.

Cheers Eamonn

Hello Keith

I have to say the speakers look solid and sweet.What a great way of setting them up.Considering how good your Adelaide speakers sounded these must be mind blowing.See you didn't skimp on the speaker cables!!!I think Im using the same type.Hopefully we can catch up on your next planed trip to Adelaide.

Cheers Eamonn

DO SPEAKER CABLES MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO THE SOUND?

OOOOOOOPPPPPSSSSS!!!!!

Sorry!!

Wrong thread...:D

Also Keith,

please immediately delete those "obscene" pictures you posted on the speakers.

how dare you show us these, I'm sure many members had to turn and look away in disgust.....take them away, take them away you bad man!!!!!!:):):thumb:

Vanch...icon6.png