Projector suggestion please

I am thinking about getting a new projector. As I have very little idea about the current choices some advice would be appreciated.

I currently run a Benq W10000 that is 10 years old. It still looks good to me but I can't get the room completely black and I have a cream ceiling. The blacks are not really black and it looks like the contrast is dropping off. I have about 800 hours on the lamp. I have spare lamp but I'm not sure it's even worth fitting.

My room is 5mx4mx2.7m. Projector is mounted on the rear wall about 4.5m from the 105" screen. Seating is 1m in from the rear wall. I have an Oppo 103 and Denon AVC-A1HD receiver that I am happy with and want to keep. So no 3D or 4K is necessary but maybe desirable if the price is right.

One of the most important things to me is noise. The Benq is very noisy and annoying so I'd like something much quieter.

I'd like to keep the budget at or below $5k if possible.

Thanks

Edited by a.dent

1 hour ago, a.dent said:

I am thinking about getting a new projector. As I have very little idea about the current choices some advice would be appreciated.

I currently run a Benq W9000 that is 10 years old. It still looks good to me but I can't get the room completely black and I have a cream ceiling. The blacks are not really black and it looks like the contrast is dropping off. I have about 800 hours on the lamp. I have spare lamp but I'm not sure it's even worth fitting.

My room is 5mx4mx2.7m. Projector is mounted on the rear wall about 4.5m from the 105" screen. Seating is 1m in from the rear wall. I have an Oppo 103 and Denon AVC-A1HD receiver that I am happy with and want to keep. So no 3D or 4K is necessary but maybe desirable if the price is right.

One of the most important things to me is noise. The Benq is very noisy and annoying so I'd like something much quieter.

I'd like to keep the budget at or below $5k if possible.

Thanks

will have no trouble. id save cash and buy a legacy projector e.g. jvc x35 or x500

will be surprised just what you get for your money there.

you dont have to buy the 3D accessories. both are non 4k uhd

otherwise if wanting something newer a jvc x5000 or x5500

or even a 2nd hand x7000. which 

should also be a just under $5k prospect. again here pretty awesome projector

though will be wasting the uhd capability so hence why suggest grab something in the legacy range non uhd.

I'm not pretending I know much about projectors at all but, having done some research to buy one myself, have settled on either the Epson EH-TW9300 or 8300. Both are "semi-4K" as Anthony puts it, or come with "4K enhancement" in Epson speak. Apparently they do a pretty good job of replicating 4K. Anthony, where can you get a 9300 for that price? Most places I've looked at are much closer to $4K and up. The 8300 I've seen as low as $3,700. The other projector that seemed to get great reviews and was very popular in a similar price bracket was the Sony VPL-HW45ES.

Guest jakeyb77

Been through a few Sony's like the one you say. I loved them. @:) al has been banging on about JVC at me for ages. Gotta say he's right. The second hand JVC X7 is the most amazing picture I have ever seen. Period. I will never buy another brand again. My 2c. 

1 hour ago, a.dent said:

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm looking at used projectors now, probably JVC.

Hi Mate,

I was until recently using a JVC X9500 which i just sold as i have the 20LTD coming.   I am using a friends X5000 at  the moment till my 20LTD arrives. ( I have owned the JVC X5000/X7000/X7500 and the X9500) 

The X5000 is a fantastic  PJ for it's price range , actually embarrassing some far more expensive PJ,s i have had here including a Sony VPL 550/675ES which is a $15K unit!!

The X5000 is currently projecting onto a 143" scope screen and doing a very credible job. It falls a little short of the higher end models in HDR, but in regular rec709  Bluray its fantastic.

If you give  Richard   @oztheatre        http://www.projectorscreens.com.au    a call i am sure he can make an X5900 VERY attractive to you.

The X5900 is  just an updated/tweaked version of the X5000 and  has better implementation of gamma for HDR if you choose to go that way ..

Honestly for your budget aim,  the X5000/X5900  is a fantastic  option....:)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bugster70 said:

I'm not pretending I know much about projectors at all but, having done some research to buy one myself, have settled on either the Epson EH-TW9300 or 8300. Both are "semi-4K" as Anthony puts it, or come with "4K enhancement" in Epson speak. Apparently they do a pretty good job of replicating 4K. Anthony, where can you get a 9300 for that price? Most places I've looked at are much closer to $4K and up. The 8300 I've seen as low as $3,700. The other projector that seemed to get great reviews and was very popular in a similar price bracket was the Sony VPL-HW45ES.

If you shop around you should be able to negotiate around $3800. Try Big Picture people!

The Sony 45ES is now 3 year old tech, has no ability to display a 4K image, nor does it do the 4K e-shift or 4K enhancement, no rec.2020 colour pallette and no dynamic iris... The Epson 9300 and the JVC's do all that plus have motorised everything - focus, zoom, shift plus lens memory. Quite a leap ahead in tech. The 45ES is a great little 1080P projector but should be sub 2500$ imho given what's in the arena now.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on my search. And my procrastination.

I have found a JVC DLA-X500 on Gumtree locally here for $2300. Is that a reasonable price?

There is also a local DLA-X9500 here on SNA that I almost pulled the trigger on but it is way over my initial $5k budget.

My questions are, will I be sorry if I buy the X500 rather than the X9500? Will they both give me a big step up in contrast and black levels over my old Benq W-9000? Is it a waste seeing I don't have 4K Netflix or a UHD player?

Thanks

Andrew

A final update on my projector search.

I bit the bullet and bought the DLA-X9500 that seanoo had for sale on the in the Classifieds.

Well what a difference. The blacks, brightness and contrast are stunning compared with my old Benq. I'm thrilled. I had to turn the brightness down because it was initially so stunning!!

Now I just have to try to sell the Benq.

So thanks to seanoo for a seamless purchase and to everyone who helped with advice.

Edited by a.dent
  • Like 4