Seeking home theatre speaker/sub advice

Our ears are less sensitive to low bass so a fair amount of bass can be added without ruining the rest of the soundtrack. I use Audyssey DEQ which at -10dB MV adds about 4.5dB to the LFE

Also it's like I mentioned earlier the more subs you have the LESS they work, this  = less distortion. When I had a single PB2000 it could play most content thrown at it at my "usual" listening MV, but with some hard hitting low scenes (like in Oblivion when Toms cable snaps and he falls back into the library shown at 1min in the video) the sub was "pushed" pretty hard.

Please don't get me wrong,the single PB2000 really did this scene well, but the driver was REALLY moving, this= more distortion . Now if I watch that scene at the same MV with 4 x PB2000's the woofs hardly move at all, because adding the extra 3 subs netted me 12dB headroom over the single. Personally I would rather know my gear can handle my desired playback level very comfortably and be nowhere near its limits.

But honestly it sounds  like I like to listen louder and with more bass than you do, and my room is open plan and 1000+ cu. ft. bigger, so I think a single PB2000 will be great in your room. The PSA V1500 just offers more bang-for-buck.

p.s  Also remember the XV30FSE can be used horizontally if that works behind your couch better

Hmm, ok, I think I'm starting to understand. But this low bass you're talking about isn't the bass you can 'feel', is that right? I thought you said that 'chest slam' type bass was more mid bass? And what would mid bass be, something in between about 40-80Hz?

I'm liking the sound of the PSA V1500. On the face of it, it costs the same as the XV30F SE, but the latter has TWO 15" drivers vs the V1500's one. But the specs say that the V1500 goes down to 16Hz whereas the XV30F SE 'only' goes down to 20Hz. I don't want to get caught up in specs as I know there's more to the story, but that does seem odd to me. So not only does the V1500 go lower, it's significantly smaller which means much more chance of being accepted.

BTW, thanks for your ongoing patience with me!

Data Bass XV30fse

If you haven't already seen this resource :)

As a side point extension and output are related but not necessarily equivalent. I would think the dual 15's would allow more output in the 30Hz+ range but it is hard to say if you actually need the output there or not in your space.

Worded another way...if you have adequate output then more extension is desireable. If you have inadequate output extra extension will be academic.

Ok, below is what the room will look like. Wife has asked if we can place/hide the sub in the back corner of the room behind the couch - this will be in the bottom right corner of the plan below. Her other reason for this is that she would prefer the front of the room to look 'clean' - the custom entertainment unit will be a floating one, and won't go the whole width of the room as shown in this version of the plan. Having a sub in one of the corners at the front will detract from the look she's after.

First, can you see any obvious problem with doing placing the sub in that back corner? Will the gas fireplace protrusion interfere much/at all? Would it be much better, for example, to have it in the top left/at the front of the room (wife's concerns aside for now)? Or doesn't it matter so much with a single sub?

And, if placed in that back corner, if I have it facing towards the front of the room, it may well stick out beyond that window a little - which may or may not matter to my wife. If it does, would it be a stupid idea to face the sub ACROSS the room ie. along the short wall?

Living room.jpg

10 minutes ago, Pieface said:

Data Bass XV30fse

If you haven't already seen this resource :)

As a side point extension and output are related but not necessarily equivalent. I would think the dual 15's would allow more output in the 30Hz+ range but it is hard to say if you actually need the output there or not in your space.

Worded another way...if you have adequate output then more extension is desireable. If you have inadequate output extra extension will be academic.

Yes, had already seen that site, thanks anyway.

And thanks for the explanation re the relationship between extension and output, makes a lot of sense. I suspect the single driver V1500 will have more than enough output for me/my room, so maybe the additional extension will come in handy. And, as I keep saying, the huge plus is that it's smaller. :ahappy:

hmm you can put a sub anywhere you like in a room... but it doesnt mean that is the best place. you will need to move it around a bit to find out that point. yes you can lay it down but you are not in the room yet with the other furniture. is there even enough space?

people tend to compromise due to partners, room config, personal preference.

to find the perfect place you need a dedicated room where sound preference is above all else.. then if the best place is the middle of the room you can accept that. this is not your situation so a massive sub that needs to go "here" for best bass may have to go "there" due to restrictions placed on it.

if that psa was not $2000/2250 i doubt you would be considering it. in the last year 2 pre pb2000 have been sold on dtv/stereonet for $600 each.. you have plenty of time so really i would just watch the usual places and wait.

@hopefullguy you're quite right on just about everything. I don't think I'm considering something as big/bulky as the XV30F SE any more (so laying it down is not an issue), but was just wondering if it really mattered which way the sub faced in my room. Should be enough space for subs like PB2000, V1500, etc. But yes, as with my current sub, placement will be more down to convenience than performance. But I still have a couple of options, only real limitation is that is has to be a corner.

And totally agree that I still have time, I purposely started this process early in case I wanted to go down the used/2nd hand route. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on the classifieds!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Wasn't sure where to post this, well finally in my new home. Hopefully everything will be installed this week. Anyway I purchased a Svs PB 1000 and hooked it up last night. It has this humming noise without any input. I have tried three different cables, moved the power cord from it's own power source to a power board and to it's own powerboard. I don't think the fault lies with the sub as if I take out the cable the noise isn't there. Can anyone please advise what is going on?

Cheers

DK. 

The SVS plate amps are a bit noisy in the low end offerings IMO - probably the weakest point of their design.

Where have you got the gain set to on the sub? Does the hum increase or decrease with adjustment of the gain?

Thanks for the reply, I tried a different cable and the problem has gone. One was definetely faulty as the ends were different. Will have to follow up with the supplier.

Just glad it's all sorted, my first projector is getting installed on Friday, can't wait.

Cheers

Dk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Wow this went from a xv30f se monster to a little pb1000.

How does it sound? Is your wife (and yourself) happy with the out come?

Mate the PB-1000's are no slouch. I have a decently large room and when I had my PB-1000 and PB12-NSD, I was showing a mate the system and turned off the PB12 and demoed what the new "little sub" could do by itself. I put on The Dark Knight, first scene was where Batman goes to Hong Kong and kidnaps the mobs accountant, 2nd scene was  the big armoured vehicle/truck chase with the Joker........at the end he was like "why the f*** would anyone need more than that!" haha

14 hours ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Wow this went from a xv30f se monster to a little pb1000.

How does it sound? Is your wife (and yourself) happy with the out come?

Nah, that's a different person. I was the one considering the XV30F SE, but am now looking at the V1500 instead I think. No huge rush for me as the house is still very much in the construction stage.

Oh okay cool. The v1500 is almost half the size of the xv30f se but judging by the specs, defeniantly not half the sound.

I cant imagine you'd be disappointed eith either.

I've never heard one personally but have heard a pb2000 and an ultra13 and if the psa subs sound anything like the svs subs (which by all accounts, they do)

You will be very happy with the v1500.

Im going a xv30f se because space isnt an issue for me.

• 9 months later...

@WatchDoc Sorry for the delayed response! Yep, house built and theatre/living room is all set up. Went with a Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 system. Decided on a Yamaha RX-V3060 receiver, Paradigm Pro series in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, SVS SB16 Ultra sub, Epson TW9300 PJ (housed in custom bulkhead at back of room) and Viewmaster Pro 120" motorised screen (recessed in ceiling). I was a little worried at first about cramming so many speakers into a room that size but it actually sounds fantastic. Playing the Dolby Atmos test disc literally brought on goosebumps! Very happy with the overall result, especially given the compromise that it had to look like a living room first and foremost (so walls are light coloured and ceiling is white). Probably wouldn't satisfy true audio/videophiles but more than good enough for me!

Lol, I'm hopeless at doing this stuff! Whilst the a/v side of things is all set up, the living room part isn't quite there yet, still waiting on a new lounge suite - currently just has an old leather sofa in there that is actually part of another set that will go somewhere else, but a new fabric modular unit is on order for this room. But will try to take some pics to post up shortly...

• Like 1

Glad to hear it's working out!!

I'm in a similar situation, deciding on 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 and whether to use an inwall for one surround speaker that our safe is by necessity right up against.

How are you finding the in-walls? Did you install them yourself? And what .4 setup did you go with, top front and top rear?

Personally, I'm really glad I went with the in-walls. Wasn't at all convinced at first but apparently they've come a long way. I did, however, buy some Dynamat En-wall enclosures for them, which weren't cheap. But the guys at Eastwood Hifi reckon they make a massive difference to the sound, and that they'd actually prefer the Paradigm Pro series speakers with En-Wall enclosures to the Elite Series without. I'm no audiophile but have had reasonably decent speakers over the years, and to my ear these sound great. I also went with the 8" versions rather than the 6.5" and, with the SB16 Ultra sub doing bass duty, I think the combo sounds fantastic. All this stuff was professionally installed, not by me.

Yes, went for the usual front LCR, rear surrounds and front and back 'presence' speakers in the ceiling. Had a bit of a battle with SWMBO re the positioning of the sofa (she wanted it hard up against the back wall!) but managed to persuade her to have it nearer to 2/3 of the way back so that it now sits between the front and rear ceiling speakers. I think this actually not only looks better but is obviously a way better outcome for surround sound too.