iPhone 8 and X

I dont see a lot to really get excited over and the price hikes are starting to get rather OTT. Apple appears to be moving into the luxury goods arena as the law of diminishing returns really kicks in on handset development.

Had a string of iPhones but now have a Samsung S8, the screen is stunning and the photos it takes are fantastic for a phone.

• Like 3

edge to edge screen, wireless charging.   Sounds like a Samsung and what they have had for years now :baby:

who would have thought Apple copying Samsung.  I guess no more lawsuits from Apple against Samsung :cool:

$1579 for a iphone X.  Samsung S8 which is brilliant is a LOT less.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

want but dont need, they gave me a new 6s late last year so will keep using.appletv on other hand :)

30 minutes ago, powerav said:

This being an audio site why don't people here go crazy over the best audio phones? Like the LG V30. Is it just another case of well it cost more so it must be better?

Because even the best phones (for audio) can't compete against basic standalone DACs.

The iPhone X ("ten") makes the iPhone8 completely pointless. At least the X is an actual update.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, powerav said:

This being an audio site why don't people here go crazy over the best audio phones? Like the LG V30. Is it just another case of well it cost more so it must be better?

My iPhone 6 Plus is actually very good SQ-wise for a phone.

I haven't compared it to a LG V30 but I was pleasantly surprised when I got the phone.

• Like 2

@Sime

apple users like myself will have a range of Apple products lying around that doesn't get used because they needed to upgrade.  You probably find a range sitting in a pile somewhere in someone's house.   

HOWEVER, you be a bit surprised if you find a Samsung Galaxy s7 note or s7.   If you do it'll be a collectors item and worth a bit of cash........that's if it doesn't self combust....:P:D

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, powerav said:

Have you actually tried the LG V range?

Not the V30, but V10 and V20 yes.

I stand by my statement, while a mobile might be convenient, it can't compete against basic standalone DACs purely on sound quality.

OK,

$1829 fornthe top of the line phone is a bit tooooooo rich.  It's as bad as paying for audiophile components with the premium logo....:P

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/mobile-phones/i-am-not-going-to-buy-the-iphone-x-because-it-doesnt-justify-the-expensive-price/news-story/3235454afab6a6860f388e164eb9c14c

I still dont  get biometrics security like fingerpring and face recognition.  These are unique and can be duplicated.  A coded passcode that can be changed is far more effective.

I can take a photo of your face and face the iPhone to bypassed this security measure, I can wait till you leave and copy the fingerprint you left behind to bypass the security measure.  So I'm not all that thrilled with unique DNA features used to access personal devices, you can change your face or fingerprint....it's unique!  But if it's alpha numerically coded you can at least change that if its compromised.  

19 minutes ago, :) al said:

Can spend $1800+ on better things :D

does it do 5G

or is that the iPhone 8S ?

With Telstra saying 5g could be as little as 3 years away I wouldn't be shopping for a 5g phone just yet..... and no your old Nokia won't do 5g..... :P 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, darthlaker said:

The largest memory iPhone X in the USA is US$ 1,149 which is A$ 1,430

BUT the phone will sell in oz for A$ 1,829!!!!

Complete rip off!

That's why I bought my last iPhone from Hong Kong (through an Aussie based company).

It was even cheaper than the US price.

Greg

• Like 2

VERY rarely does US msrp  compare directly with local rrp.

I've read of one or two Hi-Fi manufacturers that do keep parity but they are definitely the exception - cars, watches, appliances, even clothing.....all generally cheaper in the US and/or place of manufacture.

Biometric security features are good....for convenience. You can't forget your iris/face/fingerprint. You can forget your password or key code. But as you said, you can fool most biometric scans at the moment, so once yours has been compromised, it's pretty hard to change your fingerprint or face to create a new biometric profile/identity.