Anthem AV Owners Thread

4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Anthem used to publish a multi channel power number in the "10" series but since then, chose to join most of the vendors in using a 2 channel number. :hmm:  

It got all too confusing to work out when you have class a/b for some and class d for others ? Probably said who will hook up all 16 channels  lol ? Then realised "wait someone may start reassigning channels with the amp matrixing feature " -just too many combinations for our poor proofreader to handle - amp weights are already a problem...

• Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 3:13 PM, lordwooof said:

Well MRX1140's now also delayed into Australia. 

Would be worth the wait if a few more firmwares are coming to fix ARC etc ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kudeta2003 said:

What dates have you heard now?

No dates yet, previously thought late March but that sounds unlikely now from their recent info sent via dealer network

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MAXXX

Need some advice...My Anthem MRX 710 switched by itself to headphone mode while watching movie...So no sound to speakers, sounds fine with headphones.

Reset did not help, tried everything (on the fly, factory default, power reset...switched off power for few hours).

Still the same, when powered on it shows headphone on display.

Did anyone had same issue? Any ideas?

You can send me pm if you wish...

• 2 weeks later...

40 minutes ago, kudeta2003 said:

I’ll let you know

hahaha thanks. I was being overly eager. but that looks good. Is HDMI 2.1 available yet ? What are you changing from just curious. Thanks heaps and have fun 

So after a couple of teething problems setting the unit up. I could get it to connect to the internet & update the firmware, though took me a few hours to work out how to find the browser control access via the IP address of the device. (Solution was i wasn't entering the "http://" before I typed in the device IP address) I gave it a listen for a few hours with just a couple of manual adjustments before running ARC Genesis.

Im running the MRX 740 as a processor with the onboard amps matrixed to run my Atmos Speakers and then connected to an Elektra HD2 7 Channel to run the bed layer.

Running ARC was seeming to go well until it kept stalling at the test tone for the Height channels. The AVR kept changing my Amp Matrix to a Middle Height layer instead of the rear Heights. Very Frustrating!

Some quick searching on the Anthem Audio Lovers page on Facebook suggested removing the HDMI cables from the AVR & running ARC - this solved the problem. After running ARC, the sound dynamics certainly appeared to be a dramatic improvement to my ears.

For the 1st ARC run I hadn't set up my 2 subs correctly ( I didn't know how to ;))  I ran ARC with just one Sub, then turned the second one to the same level after ARC had finished. I watched a couple of movies and was pretty impressed with the sound, though was a bit too boomy at times from the subs.

After some researching on how to set these better, I used the Quick measure tool to set them independently at 72db before measuring them both at the same time. I needed to drop them a couple of db as the combined output was sitting around 78db.  Running ARC the second time after doing this yielded different results and after watching a couple of movies the bass was noticeably less boomy.

So overall my early impressions - definitely not disappointed. Very happy with the results and quality. I think my almost 20 year old subs are still the weakest link. I've ordered a mini dsp to see if that solves the weakness or I just go the upgrade :).

Wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending this unit, still going to play with speaker placements to see what that does to sound as well as ARC genesis.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, kudeta2003 said:

For the 1st ARC run I hadn't set up my 2 subs correctly ( I didn't know how to ;))  I ran ARC with just one Sub, then turned the second one to the same level after ARC had finished. I watched a couple of movies and was pretty impressed with the sound, though was a bit too boomy at times from the subs.

Congrats ! just be aware the dual sub  EQ isnt working or ARC...so dont beat self over head about it :) they'll eventually debug am sure ...another thing related to subs apparently on imax tracks you wont get sub either with the anthem... again known thing so dont freak out. i would necessarily put blame to your subs.... good subs are good subs... and just matter of dialing in which am sure will get there :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

Congrats ! just be aware the dual sub  EQ isnt working or ARC...so dont beat self over head about it :) they'll eventually debug am sure ...another thing related to subs apparently on imax tracks you wont get sub either with the anthem... again known thing so dont freak out. i would necessarily put blame to your subs.... good subs are good subs... and just matter of dialing in which am sure will get there :) 

The MRX 740 only has control for 1 sub, the AVM 70 & the 1140 will have dual sub control in the future when the firmware updates. I was aware of this when purchasing, always had the mini dsp in mind 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, xPLAYRZx said:

Ready to install over the weekend.  Will report back on initial impressions.

Very Nice! I see you have the Monitor Audio platinum’s. I only have the gold’s, but I’ll be very interested to hear your impressions! ?

1 hour ago, kudeta2003 said:

The MRX 740 only has control for 1 sub, the AVM 70 & the 1140 will have dual sub control in the future when the firmware updates. I was aware of this when purchasing, always had the mini dsp in mind 

ah i see, i missed that in your post sorry :) indeed many folks do go the mini dsp route... for others with the 1140 and avm70 the dual sub eq when they sort out might be adequate. 

After some researching on how to set these better, I used the Quick measure tool to set them independently at 72db before measuring them both at the same time. I needed to drop them a couple of db as the combined output was sitting around 78db.  Running ARC the second time after doing this yielded different results and after watching a couple of movies the bass was noticeably less boomy.

i noticed this point, did you happen to check your other levels as well, as quite a few folk have noticed the anthem arc boosting levels quite a bit and needing to drop trims some 7-8db. it might be worth checking the other channels as well as an imbalance of levels between speakers and sub might also give impression with sub not really integrated same level as others :) 

Running ARC was seeming to go well until it kept stalling at the test tone for the Height channels. The AVR kept changing my Amp Matrix to a Middle Height layer instead of the rear Heights. Very Frustrating!

Some quick searching on the Anthem Audio Lovers page on Facebook suggested removing the HDMI cables from the AVR & running ARC - this solved the problem

not sure why that be the case. but good it fixed things. Just as a heads up and quite possibly something took care off anyways. But if doing again make sure not to remove the hdmi cables while gear is powered up or even on standby (particularly if using active cables which are always live.). make sure to do this(removing hdmi cables) with all gear powered down(not just standby) otherwise its hot swapping hdmi cables and easiest way to blow hdmi port or board on source or AVR ! :)

2 hours ago, kudeta2003 said:

So overall my early impressions - definitely not disappointed. Very happy with the results and quality.

Excellent.

2 hours ago, kudeta2003 said:

Wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending this unit, still going to play with speaker placements to see what that does to sound

I'm actually keen to hear from owners, once everything is set up, how well they like AnthemLogic as an up mixer. So much source music is still stereo and there are no promises that MCH source material like streaming Atmos is going to take off like wildfire, or remain forever a tiny fraction. So what we need, for music at least, is next-gen up mixers. The only ones that I have heard praise for, are Logic7 and Auro-3D. Keen to know where AnthemLogic sits on the scale.

cheers

Grant

5 hours ago, betty boop said:

not sure why that be the case. but good it fixed things.

Sounds similar to the firmware upgrade procedure for Emo pre pro's AL ; unplug the hdmi's or it may stuff up the dsp processor with its 5v trace ? and considering how incompatible hdcp 2.0 and hdcp1.4 components can be when they shouldnt :$

Keen to know where AnthemLogic sits on the scale.

One things for sure its more subtle with less reverb ; steering and phasing than others as its been around a long time .  One reason is its proprietary and Anthem doesnt pay licensing fees with it ? 

• Like 1