New Firmware Update

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-38-0222.aspx

Release date: February 27, 2017.

Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: UDP20X-38-0222

Loader Version: TF0029

MCU Version: MCU203-01-1118

Release Notes:

This release is for the OPPO UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player.

Special Notice:

Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

Comparing to the current Official release version UDP20X-33-1229, the major changes included in this version are:

Added the "Target Luminance" setting under HDR Settings to allow tweaking of the HDR to SDR conversion.

Added the RS-232 command "QHS" for querying the HDR playback status.

Added support for the HEVC 6.0 and 6.1 profile levels.

Improved the experimental "Strip Metadata" feature.

Improved stability when playing music from DLNA servers.

Improved compatibility with exFAT formatted hard drives over 2TB in capacity.

Resolved a stuttering playback issue with 3D titles.

Resolved an audio dropout issue with UHD title "Deepwater Horizon".

Resolved a playback issue with UHD title “Star Trek Into Darkness”.

Revised the VFD text during a firmware upgrade that allows customers to upgrade the firmware without connecting a display.

Resolved a black screen issue when streaming 4K content via the player's HDMI In port from Roku and other 4K streaming devices.

General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

All features of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

So this version now doesn't allow us to revert to previous firmware.....interesting. Thanks for sharing bro....

actually all official firmware released by Oppo cannot be reverted to older firmware.

but there is a way...

get in touch with the Chinese vendor that does the JB firmware.

then can revert to any older official or JB firmware.

Just checked with my seller, actually is oppo received warning by BDA for this loop hole. So the new receive jailbreak request with new mac address cant downgrade from now on. But those who ever jailbreak before still valid for the downgrade.

And the latest new, jailbreak is no longer available for all model (except version 1209)! Those bros who slow action can just cry...

Btw, sometimes later they may release the jailbreak again, becoz without it, oppo may lost its advantage in this market.

Seems I've solved my issues with HDMI Input. Successfully connected a Dune 4K Solo media streamer. Passing video (1080p) and audio via my 203 through my AVR and TV.

Of course, since I had my initial issues, I've added the Dune, upgraded my AVR and upgraded the FW on the 203. Any one of these may have resolved the issue although I also note the two devices I was originally trying were both PayTV devices that might not like the idea of being connected to anything other than a TV or AVR. The Foxtel IQ3 doesn't even like the AVR - won't pass audio over HDMI.

And the latest new, jailbreak is no longer available for all model (except version 1209)! Those bros who slow action can just cry...

Btw, sometimes later they may release the jailbreak again, becoz without it, oppo may lost its advantage in this market.

Wah that's sad as I was waiting for the machine to stabilise and have a more mature FW before committing.

Sent from my Game Boy Advance 32gb 4GLTE/WiFi using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, so the jailbreak offers region free playback? Anything else?

BTW, how much was the update?

Actually I have been using another player for my region free playback and also for playing files which the Oppo can't. Very happy with that player :)

for me main purpose of JB is due to cinevia issues as we do a lot of dnloading.

And the occasional  bootleg disc

DL materials seemed to be  released much faster then the original release.

Moreover, movies that has plenty of dialogue dnt have lots of sound effects, except sound track. so DL materials will suffice.

48 minutes ago, blairy1503559527 said:

Of course, since I had my initial issues, I've added the Dune, upgraded my AVR and upgraded the FW on the 203. Any one of these may have resolved the issue although I also note the two devices I was originally trying were both PayTV devices that might not like the idea of being connected to anything other than a TV or AVR. The Foxtel IQ3 doesn't even like the AVR - won't pass audio over HDMI.

Good to hear it works Blairy ; cant help but think the dune being hdcp 2.2 compatible likes the oppos hdmi 2.0 input where the Foxtel may be an earlier version [ though this shouldn't matter as their all compatible ?]

I wonder if the 203 will play back a UHD HEVC codec video file properly - either via network or usb ? If not a new media player may be the go :)

Thanks for the info, so the jailbreak offers region free playback? Anything else?

BTW, how much was the update?

Actually I have been using another player for my region free playback and also for playing files which the Oppo can't. Very happy with that player :)

Apparently the JB FW does offer region free playback of optical disc. For BR is changing the system language.

Price indicate is USD$99.99 in their website.

For me is I trying to delete the amount of hardware (PS4 and Android Media Box) in HT loop and let 203 do all video job.

Yea I was looking at removing the popcorn media player and just use the Oppo through its USB 3.0 for downloaded material playback... looks like gotta keep the popcorn. That's the problem with JB, new firmware out, can't use... gotta wait again for next JB ... hmm. Don't upgrade firmware, bugs not fixed.  So cumbersome. Looks like I can just forget about using the Oppo 203 for bdiso

If kelvinsin mention is true that there won't be any more future JB firmware releases, then the next UDP-205 would probably suffer lower sales volume.

So Jb will always lag the fixes for the players to support new releases that might have "enhanced" security etc and also for issues related to bugs found or new features being added. Maybe when the current round of fixes for most of the known and pending issues is done with then it might make sense to look at a JB effort.

This should come to Oz, soon..

New Firmware Update

Release Notes:

This release is for the OPPO UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player.

Special Notice:

Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

Comparing to the current Official release version UDP20X-33-1229, the major changes included in this version are:

Added the "Target Luminance" setting under HDR Settings to allow tweaking of the HDR to SDR conversion.
    Added the RS-232 command "QHS" for querying the HDR playback status.
    Added support for the HEVC 6.0 and 6.1 profile levels.
    Improved stability when playing music from DLNA servers.
    Improved compatibility with exFAT formatted hard drives over 2TB in capacity.
    Resolved a stuttering playback issue with 3D titles.
    Resolved an audio dropout issue with UHD title "Deepwater Horizon".
    Resolved a playback issue with UHD title “Star Trek Into Darkness”.
    Revised the VFD text during a firmware upgrade that allows customers to upgrade the firmware without connecting a display.
    Resolved a black screen issue when streaming 4K content via the player's HDMI In port from Roku and other 4K streaming devices.
    General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

All features of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

Edited by petetherock

• Volunteer
33 minutes ago, petetherock said:

This should come to Oz, soon..

New Firmware Update

Pete, it became available via player online update last night, haven't seen it on Interdyn's site yet though.

2 hours ago, petetherock said:

Interesting they consider this feature "experimental"...

Good to see much work has been done on this new release.

JSmith :ninja:

• Volunteer
49 minutes ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Yeap. Got it done last night.

Yep same here.

This feature, (which was actually introduced with the previous beta) makes it simple without having to fire up the PJ  

Revised the VFD text during a firmware upgrade that allows customers to upgrade the firmware without connecting a display

Edited by Kazz

22 hours ago, blairy1503559527 said:

And of course it seems I have jumped the gun on this.  Now experiencing lip synch issues.

Reading a review blairy was surprised to see the 203 has audio delay like an avr :)

When I went back to the Roku and Amazon boxes after that, they passed 4K, too. I'm not sure what kind of communication/handshake issue was going on there, but it worked itself out. At first, there was an obvious AV sync issue with all three sources I passed through the OPPO; but, after experimentation with the audio delay adjustment in the UDP-203's setup menu, I was able to align the audio and video.

Not true, i had UDP20XEU-33-1229 official on my EU 203, and updated to 1229EU JB no problems.

P.S. anybody know the eta of UDP20XEU-38-0222 JB?

HDMI in on Oppo 203 question

I have never used that function before on the Oppo 10x series but decided to try hooking up my HTPC to HDMI in on the 203 in this configuration:
HDMI Main to UHDTV HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2
HDMI 2 Audio to HDMI1.3 AVP
HDMI in to HTPC

Hoping I can use the Oppo as an HDMI switch and still send audio to my AVP

Audio from UHD works fine to the AVP

But for some reason it wasn't getting audio from my HTPC. Anyone use it in this way?