Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, Satanica said:

Yep, so far my experience has been bluray upscaled to 4K with my HTPC is superior to native 4K on my X7000. 

Yeah, ive also got a nasty feeling the Oppo is using some kind of DNR that you CANT turn off.......the picture in general is just way to soft for native 4K.

Would love to hear some feedback from any users who can compare the Oppo to the Panasonic or even the Samsung regarding picture detail .

The Oppo is starting to be a little disappointing in this regard...... Havnt heard anything , but if Pioneer end up producing a 4K player it will be my next purchase..

• Like 1

My First Impression of the new Oppo 4K Player

I am quite impressed with the PQ that this player churned out. Yesterday I have borrowed a few 4K UHD titles (courtesy from SLT) to test out the 4K discs on my Sony VW500ES. Take note this projector is in fact a true native 4K projector which is able to display true 4K image. The PQ is amazing to say the least. Connecting to the HDMI 2 (which supports HDCP 2.2), there is no problem in playback of the DRM content. No error and the loading time of the disc is quite fast considering that the 4K UHD disc requires the laser beam focus of the len to read even "deeper". The player did an admirably job with the speed in loading times. Playback is smooth and able to pick up different 4K content with varying frame-rate (as 50/60 fps and 24fps for film) with ease!

Here's a sample clip from Gods of Egypt (4K UHD) - shot in 4K but down-sampled to 1080p to reduce bandwidth for playback. But you already can see a vast difference in terms of the PQ.

[embed=425,349]

[/embed]

Overall, I am quite impressed.

Just an update with my opinion of the Oppo so far.

After my enthusiastic first impressions, its been all downhill from there!.

Today i invited 3 friends around for a mega marathon comparison. We put through about 40 UHD and Bluray disc,s playing samples from each disc.

UHD in the Oppo 203  and Bluray upscaled in the Pioneer LX88..

Each player was connected directly to my JVC X7000 on a 143" Scope Screen. 

First and most prominent observation is how much sharper the LX88 is than the Oppo....the detail produced from the LX88 and its upscalling shames the Oppo and native 4k.

The next BIG issue with the Oppo is its colour rendition.....its doing some very crazy things colour wise, both with the Metadata stripped feature and on plain HDR.

Using the Oppo to upscale Blurays and again compared to the LX88..... basically the Oppo is terrible...very soft and again very strange things happening with colour rendition!. 

All of us preferred the LX88 and STD Bluray upscaled to the Oppo and native UHD disc,s.

Overall after a very enthusiastic start the Oppo has been a very big let down....

I dont think i will be hanging onto the Oppo for very long 

At this stage i think i will stick with standard Bluray and the LX88 and see if Pioneer come up with any options in the future..

thats not sounding very good at all woofer. I havent had the chance to check anything out in depth let alone do any comparisons to say much as yet. maybe get some chance tonight but times getting away.

as a note there has been a ton of comment on the HDR stripping being a bit over saturated. its definitely an experimental thing from oppo so perhaps a bit of a way to go.suprised your having some issues with HDR. i know run a very big screen yourself but done anything to setup there using the sony eggs for instance ? id also be checking what color space your running across each disc format you are running to check nothing untoward going on, something have always been wary to check if notice I've been documenting with photo shots. all do report to oppo am sure they will be keen to know. also keep your retailer posted. this is all good feedback for them too.

my brief plays of discs across dvd-blu-ray-uhd havent shown anything whacky going on color wise but not done any extensive viewing either. still plan to do some basic setup with the wow disney disc too. always do with a new disc player, will report if see anything unusual there. similarly when re setup for HDR.

as a massive positive this evening my daughter popped a DVD from school which was her year wrap up... had fingers crossed when she booted up the player popped the disc in and we go the menu screen up, and the disc played... all working as it should. a small thing...but gee am glad the oppo is working as it should in this regard.

• Volunteer
On 12/14/2016 at 9:48 PM, Kazz said:

Ah ok I set mine to i/p scaler HDMI

I'll need to have a play.

On 12/15/2016 at 7:15 AM, Kazz said:

yep that was what I thought with the i/p scaler but now I've lost the option to change it to analog.  :wacko:

On 12/15/2016 at 9:00 AM, :) al said:

interesting ... is that because you are using it ? can you turn it off completely ? with video conversion on/off then turn back on ... select analog this time ?

with me without selecting and options if you click on i/p scaler, it gives you three options  as scroll across...

analog, analog and hdmi and hdmi which you select ? 

I tried your suggestion Al but still couldn't get the analog option back so I've turned the i/p scaler off completely and all is well so I'll just leave it off.

On 12/16/2016 at 7:04 PM, :) al said:

great to hear kazz ! if getting bored do try out the whole two display thing.... would love to know what you find :)

I gave that a whirl, got no pic on the TV and down res'd to 1080p pic on the PJ, is that what you got Al?

I just watched Pacific Rim as I know it well, on the Sammy I thought the PQ was excellent although to dark but on the Oppo it was brilliant with the skin tones being much better and the extra darkness gone, so I'm a happy camper at this stage.  I haven't tried the strip metadata setting yet but for this disc I wouldn't want to use it.  :)

Bro ckt, i wish u stay closer to the Eastside...

So far your skills in calibrating projectors is by far the best I have seen!!

Best regards bro!!

Cheers!!

:)

Wait til you see the biggest real highlight of the 4k bluray, HDR!!!!!!

Yep...I know that. I am waiting for a projector that is able to output bright enough lumens to truly enjoy the HDR. Without enough light output, HDR won't be able to "shine".

Hi cash, I wish you staying in the West, you are a person with no hidden agenda...  Anyway to truly bring out the best in 4k HDR, resolution is only 5-10% improvement over a standard bluray, but HDR and WCG can be anything from 50 to 70% difference and I mean it.  The specular highlights is astounding and you need to set different nits 1000, 2000, 4000 to match the different recording by different studio. Sony has a test pattern for this nits highlight.  Want to know more?  PM me for an unforgettable session..

al,  I will try and take a few pics of the differences.... The pics form the DSLR never replicate what your actually seeing, but they may give some idea ..

One highlight of al this , is now i really do appreciate just how good the LX88 "Still" is..:thumb:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wooferocau said:

al,  I will try and take a few pics of the differences.... The pics form the DSLR never replicate what your actually seeing, but they may give some idea ..

One highlight of al this , is now i really do appreciate just how good the LX88 "Still" is..:thumb:

oh definitely there have been some good disc players over the years. when the lx88 came out I know there was much ado all a bit late etc. but I for one was pleased to see them appear. we need more choice in quality players and pioneer sure can do them pretty well :)

and definitely give it a shot photos wise. it is tough I know well enough capturing what the eye sees with a static DSLR shot even using a good DSLR. but for illustration purposes might give some clues

late yesterday I thought I would give a movie a shot.... I picked up I am legend.. on uhd ... of all things. its a very old movie now .. I remember it at the dawn of blu-ray ... actually @kazz it at your place in those early days we were comparing a 1st gen ps3 on blu-ray vs early gen regular disc player - think it was a panasonic. still picked this one as was keen to watch as a movie rather than doing any comparisons or evaluation of oppos capability or anything.

I'm running wiht HDR at this stage. no meta data stripping or anything,

so anyways watched on the oppo... it starts off not very well with the very much SD broadcast TV shot at the start that looks very rough :D but things improve from there - wiht some nice scenes of the sunset and city plus the brilliant red of the car etc. its an interesting movie with a LOT of dark low light shots, night shots. but also some also in broad day light at other extreme shots bathed in full daylight. for the vintage of movie its not like some later movies with tons of detail pristine transfer etc. there are sections with image artefacts, slight noise in back ground etc. on other hand eg a scene where he gets up the detail on his face stubble etc is pretty amazing.

ITs tough in sections eg when he is entering the dark warehouse etc with only light from gun to light up(shielded by his hand most of the time) quite disorientating at times trying to work out whats going on. similarly when he is strung up and its getting dark, and trying to work out whats going on in the shadows. there are also times when indoors particularly eg when he is in his apartment/lab where wonder if there is a bit of red push going on wiht his face etc.

3/4s of way through I couldnt help switching on the samsung to compare.... movies dont  resume across players so a little time involved with the change over cueing up the same scene etc. looking at the picture of the samsung first things noticed was a lot more noise in the image... examples are sky shots in the openings... the door thats lit up in the dark warehouse when he is entering. when he is strung up there is a tall building in the back ground with quite a bit of noise going on.. I did wonder for instance where there is a drop off blood of his dripping of his head and drops in a pool of black I could see the red pool develop in the back puddle of water below. similarly with his boots and shoes when strung up ... more apparent whats going on with the samsung ?  more detail of his hair etc

so swapped back to the oppo...well no am not seeing any red push vs the samsung... detail same in his hair. definitely lot less noise going on on the oppo a cleaner image. the image overall is better on the oppo...drastically so ? no I wouldnt say.. id be happy with either. things like him when strung up...yeah the drop of blood and detail in the hair and the red pool are all there in the oppos image...

its a tough movie overall with this kind of thing, though I guess for comparisons purposes its good sometimes to check out stuff not the most pristine studio reference grade ! 

still left with some, doubts eg the noise in the sammy image in some scenes is it supposed to be there ? more apparent on the oppo or is it simply the oppo just has a cleaner image. is there a bit of red push ? are scenes darker than need be....

overall been a while since calibrated things even for basic levels HDR etc. perhaps time to give another pass on it with some 350+ hours on the bulb :)

might do that and then go back check things again, will take some shots to compare and illustrate as well if get a chance. 

al...  Will be interesting to hear from you when doing a few more comparisons...  The difference you noticed with the reduced   image noise on the Oppo is interesting ,  I swear the Oppo has some kind of  Digital Noise Reduction going on that the user cannot disable.....it really would explain the "softness" of the Oppo picture.

I have spent most of the afternoon playing with HDR.

I have the Iris wide open , High Lamp, , the Gamma D settings @ 14-5-6 and using Superwhite. 

To its credit the X7000 is giving me a "watchable" image on HDR... but having the iris fully open and NO dynamic function really takes its toll on the image.

The colours are much much improved using HDR and BT2020 ....but still inclined towards a little red push. The SDR stripping feature with BT2020 is basically unusable on most UHD,s.

The setup i did today and the tweaking got me to a point i could nearly  live with the colour rendition...BUT the  lack of detail and sharpness on the Oppo is a big concern.  

I really was expecting the native 4k to be a fairly noticeable upgrade, but at this time for me its a backward step.

2 hours ago, wooferocau said:

al...  Will be interesting to hear from you when doing a few more comparisons...  The difference you noticed with the reduced   image noise on the Oppo is interesting ,  I swear the Oppo has some kind of  Digital Noise Reduction going on that the user cannot disable.....it really would explain the "softness" of the Oppo picture.

I have spent most of the afternoon playing with HDR.

I have the Iris wide open , High Lamp, , the Gamma D settings @ 14-5-6 and using Superwhite. 

To its credit the X7000 is giving me a "watchable" image on HDR... but having the iris fully open and NO dynamic function really takes its toll on the image.

The colours are much much improved using HDR and BT2020 ....but still inclined towards a little red push. The SDR stripping feature with BT2020 is basically unusable on most UHD,s.

The setup i did today and the tweaking got me to a point i could nearly  live with the colour rendition...BUT the  lack of detail and sharpness on the Oppo is a big concern.  

I really was expecting the native 4k to be a fairly noticeable upgrade, but at this time for me its a backward step.

I guess one thing to keep in mind is not all UHD discs were not shot in 4k so they are upscaled for the disc. Might need to look into how movies were shot and mastered for UHD before blaming the Oppo. Without checking, I'm pretty sure Oblivion, for example, was filmed in 2k.

EDIT: Not quite true, from Wikipedia...

The film was shot in 4K resolution in Sony's proprietary raw image format, but for cost reasons (and over Kosinski's protests), both the digital intermediate and final version were done at 2K resolution

Edited by blybo

Some stills from Oblivion..... Pioneer LX88 Bluray upscaled to 4K..........Oppo 203 UHD  HDR .....JVC X7000 ...143" Scope Screen..

Only shot as jpegs, so colour are over saturated compared to what you are actually seeing on screen...

LX88

DSC_0429-LX88_zpslvcwilbs.jpg

Oppo HDR

DSC_0430-Oppo-HDR_zpstcxbajh8.jpg

LX88

DSC_0432-LX88_zpswqpsz0wu.jpg

Oppo HDR

DSC_0431-Oppo-HDR_zpszjkvhvlo.jpg

LX88

DSC_0433-LX88_zpsz0fmthy0.jpg

Oppo HDR

DSC_0434-Oppo-HDR_zps9afm4z9b.jpg

LX88

DSC_0436-LX88_zpspcwekjl5.jpg

Oppo HDR

DSC_0435-Oppo-HDR_zpshnot8cfa.jpg

LX88

DSC_0437-LX88_zps32osdhll.jpg

Oppo HDR

DSC_0438-Oppo-HDR_zpsquinvbbc.jpg

LX88

DSC_0440-LX88_zpsyjduzs7k.jpg

Oppo HDR

DSC_0439-Oppo-HDR_zpsm1nxofld.jpg

• Like 2

hi woofer, a tough time for comparisons with lead up to christmas and kids on holidays...keen to watch some stuff let alone some in depth comparisons but will get there, curious enough myself :)

will check the noise difference between the players and whether introduces softness :)

re red push, it was brought to my attention where people are talking about it its with regards SDR WCG i.e. via the HDR strip function, rather than with HDR. The HDR strip as we know is experimental still for oppo so probably time to go still to get sorted. however will look out for it with both HDR material and when get around to stripping HDR via their new feature to get SDR WCG(bt2020).

was encouraged with dave vaughns post earlier today though, encourages enough to looking forward to some uhd stuff off the oppo  ! 

I watched "Storks" tonight in UHD with the 203 and X750R....jaw dropping HDR picture. Wow...bright and vibrant all the way through!

woofer, if you had hidden the identity of these lx88 v oppo I reckon I could pick them without knowing ... :D

frame 1 check out the stamped tear drop, detail of the leather. finger does look a touch reader

frame 2 look at his thumb.. again detail/texture on the leather 

frame 3 looks a slight difference in exposure which is throwing things ... the lips and nose are a touch pinker / richer. interesting to see the back ground. but his face is popping out a lot more on the oppo hdr

frame 4 look at stubble on his chin he triangle on the shoulder

frame 5 check out the beard on the chin, hair. his brow. the oppo shot is popping out again more 3D. though again perhaps some difference in exposure here.

frame 7 the lx88 is little washed out, perhaps different in exposure here, but oppo face looks more solid the lx88 more washed out.

yes its subtle ... but its there, the lx88 is doing a great job, but I can see the edge of the oppo. I wouldn't say the oppo looks softer, infact quite the contrary it looks punchier. also WCG does contribute to this I think with the punchier colours ... it doesnt mean its more saturated or theres a red push.

I say this with the strong belief that sharpening does not bring more detail. it just makes things more sharper which people mis interpret to more detailed. keeping in mind as what blybo said oblivion is one of those films with a 2k DI

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483013/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

a real pity given the 4k-5k source ! 

and unfortunately that effectively means there wont be that much resolution wise with uhd over what blu-ray can achieve. however I can definitely see the benefits of BT2020 HDR in the shots there where things just look so much more real. the martian another 2k DI movie you can see it with the mars shots with the uniforms the sheen/gleem of metal etc. everything just comes alive :)

I take your word though, still frames and trying to catch something is different in a lot of ways to what you are probably seeing with own eyes. thanks for sharing though, as gives some ideas what your seeing :)

ps you have only made me want to watch oblivion and the martian again :D 

• Like 1

Quote from a user comparing the Panasonic 900  and Oppo 203  regarding picture.....

"  4K UHD discs however, a slight difference between the 2 players-I've thought about how best to describe the difference, so suffice to say the PQ with the 203 is simply not as "Crisp" as the ub900. I guess some might prefer to use the term "soft". BTW, both players outputting 4:2:2 @12 bits. "