Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

On 6/8/2017 at 6:39 PM, agelessgoodguy said:

Yes Bbar, movie is playing fine then player stops as PC has shut down hence no signal. Its not related to the time or position within a movie playing. The PC just shuts down completely no warnings no blue screen etc, just re-starts like after any other shut down and can run for weeks without doing it again unless I use it to stream to the 203.

new PSU in the PC has fixed this issue I'm pleased to report, streamed 3 movies last night without fail. :rolleyes:

What's your thoughts in using the 203 or 205 as a prepro as im planning to sell my av and run 203 straight to a 7 channel power amp.. what iv seen its more and capable and doing it with ease..

correct me if you use the 203 or 205 via HDMI straight to a av, will you be using the av dac and video processor?

55 minutes ago, obama said:

What's your thoughts in using the 203 or 205 as a prepro as im planning to sell my av and run 203 straight to a 7 channel power amp.. what iv seen its more and capable and doing it with ease..

correct me if you use the 203 or 205 via HDMI straight to a av, will you be using the av dac and video processor?

If using the player direct to a power amp you will be using its DAC for audio and video processor for picture (the display will still use its own video processing).

If the 203/205 are the same as previous Oppo models, every time you update the firmware the volume control reverts back to fixed full volume - you need to manually change it back to variable volume to avoid speaker/amp damage.

I did try the unit on the weekend (203) on my 7 channel amp and set the setting to variable and the sound was amazing im no audiophilist but it sounded very good. I only hooked up as a 2 channel and was amazed how it sounded.. after that I went thru the menu and it was so easy to use and has all the main setting a av would have eg Hz adjustment, speaker size, distance etc.

Question.. does it do Atmos? and if I did hook up all 7 channels by using the analogue outs straight to my power amp will it still do Master Audio, Dolby etc etc

no middle man 

Edited by clinton1983

20 minutes ago, obama said:

I did try the unit on the weekend (203) on my 7 channel amp and set the setting to variable and the sound was amazing im no audiophilist but it sounded very good. I only hooked up as a 2 channel and was amazed how it sounded.. after that I went thru the menu and it was so easy to use and has all the main setting a av would have eg Hz adjustment, speaker size, distance etc.

Question.. does it do Atmos? and if I did hook up all 7 channels by using the analogue outs straight to my power amp will it still do Master Audio, Dolby etc etc

no middle man 

No, you'll need an AVR or processor to decode Atmos.

5 hours ago, obama said:

Only the lossless codecs and no atmos ;dts-x as Quark said .  Don't underestimate how important good room eq is ; most rooms need some correction especially in the bass frequencies ; good room treatments with bass traps and diffusors can help .

Other than that get a subwoofer that has a built in PEQ or auto room eq that can smooth out any peaks and dips in your rooms frequency response :) The bottom frequencies are the most important . Another option for room eq is a mini dsp unit with  dirac [if you want the best just put it between your 203/5 and power amp albeit with extra a/d d/a conversions] 

A few members have tried this and its popular at avs forum for those who  want something better than say ypao ;)

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/video-reviews/2017/2/14/review-minidsp-ddrc-88a-with-dirac-live-room-correction-system

Edited by cwt

23 minutes ago, cwt said:

Was expounding on what you said Chops ? ;)

I don't know what happened ... I tried posting during one of the forums pauseive moments.

Edited by Guest
Seems a two for one deal occured

2 minutes ago, Dr Chopsus said:

I don't know what happened ... I tried posting during one of the forums pauseive moments.

Know what you mean Chops ; happens when you wonder where your post went and make an executive decision to  hit send again in my case :)

Right!!

I got our Oppo 203 Today and I would like to ask a few Questions.

1/ TARGET LUMINANCE= It says on the Oppo to have it matched to your TV so I do not know how many nits (not hair nits ) the LG 86SJ957T has. Default as you know on the Oppo is 300 nits. And feed back on this

2/ COLOR SPACE= I have it set to Auto. What do you think?

3/ COLOR DEPTH= I have it set to Auto. What do you think?

In General the Oppo UDP 203 is Different as when I put "DISPICABLE ME" into it the first 4K Dolby Vision movie I have I've notice ALL the Dolby Vision Picture Modes the 5 off them all have the Back light set as 50% and "Despicable me" is reasonably bright on all modes. Also on DV the using of Dynamic Contrast contradicts what I do in the Panasonic where the Picture LOOKS GOOD!! with medium or High Dynamic Contrast but Dolby Vision on the Oppo 203 looks slightly better when its OFF or maybe LOW.

I had a quick play this afternoon and me thinks the Oppo is not as Sharp as the Panasonic 900. I will try to use there Sharpining tool to see if it helps Remember the BIGGER the TV its more noticeable when a picture is not as sharp.

19 hours ago, cwt said:

Know what you mean Chops ; happens when you wonder where your post went and make an executive decision to  hit send again in my case :)

I have trouble post now. Also trouble geting to threads like the LG thread I have as it say ITS NOT THERE but after I climb the numbers ups from 1,2,3,4 eventually I get to the last page which is 18 I think.

1 hour ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

Right!!

I got our Oppo 203 Today and I would like to ask a few Questions.

1/ TARGET LUMINANCE= It says on the Oppo to have it matched to your TV so I do not know how many nits (not hair nits ) the LG 86SJ957T has. Default as you know on the Oppo is 300 nits. And feed back on this

2/ COLOR SPACE= I have it set to Auto. What do you think?

3/ COLOR DEPTH= I have it set to Auto. What do you think?

In General the Oppo UDP 203 is Different as when I put "DISPICABLE ME" into it the first 4K Dolby Vision movie I have I've notice ALL the Dolby Vision Picture Modes the 5 off them all have the Back light set as 50% and "Despicable me" is reasonably bright on all modes. Also on DV the using of Dynamic Contrast contradicts what I do in the Panasonic where the Picture LOOKS GOOD!! with medium or High Dynamic Contrast but Dolby Vision on the Oppo 203 looks slightly better when its OFF or maybe LOW.

I had a quick play this afternoon and me thinks the Oppo is not as Sharp as the Panasonic 900. I will try to use there Sharpining tool to see if it helps Remember the BIGGER the TV its more noticeable when a picture is not as sharp.

Welcome to the club Blackman.

1/ TARGET LUMINANCE: with your TV this should not need adjustment.  Set HDR to AUTO.  You only need to adjust the luminance if you select an option that converts HDR to SDR or strips the metadata.  Your panel processes HDR out of the box so this is not an issue for you.

2/ COLOUR SPACE (with apologies for Australian spelling) really comes down to personal preference.  There are gazillions of links about this on the internet, personally I like this one from one of the Oppo beta testers over on AVS Forum.  What do these ycbcr color spaces mean.  Personally I use 4:4:4 but I suspect most people use Auto.

3/ COLOUR DEPTH also comes down to personal preference.  Selecting Auto means that the TV will tell your Oppo what colour depth it wants and the Oppo will pass what the TV wants which is probably a very good place to start.  Your TV is native 10 bit so some would say it makes sense to feed it 10 bit as well.  And yet again, some people swear blind that feeding 12 bits and letting the TV 'down convert' to 10 bits gives them a better image.

If some of that is confusing sorry.  In a nutshell, you can ignore target luminance and yes Auto is fine for 2 and 3.  Watch a few discs using Auto and if you're happy leave it be.  If you like to fiddle around with your settings you can do that too.  Of course it's often a good idea to use the Settings Management function under Device setup.  This allows you to save your settings to USB and then play around with the settings to your hearts content.  If you stuff it up, simply restore from USB and start again :-)

And on a separate note, make sure you update to the latest firmware.

Cheers and good luck

blairy

Edited by blairy

On 2017-6-16 at 0:21 PM, :) al said:

my hdmi glitches / hand shake issues on boot up with both my displays and with the 205 am happy to say at this point have been resolved by oppo (interdyn/oppo au in this case). anyone having same do please get in touch with them. took a little back and forth with some stuff i sent them and what they sent me ... but got there. very pleased wiht their responsiveness on this one smile.gif

Glad to hear, there may be hope after all.

@:) al Do you have a Marantz 8802 or 8801?

Edited by Seandres
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blairy1503559527 said:

1/ TARGET LUMINANCE: with your TV this should not need adjustment.  Set HDR to AUTO.  You only need to adjust the luminance if you select an option that converts HDR to SDR or strips the metadata.  Your panel processes HDR out of the box so this is not an issue for you.

2/ COLOUR SPACE (with apologies for Australian spelling) really comes down to personal preference.  There are gazillions of links about this on the internet, personally I like this one from one of the Oppo beta testers over on AVS Forum.  What do these ycbcr color spaces mean.  Personally I use 4:4:4 but I suspect most people use Auto.

3/ COLOUR DEPTH also comes down to personal preference.  Selecting Auto means that the TV will tell your Oppo what colour depth it wants and the Oppo will pass what the TV wants which is probably a very good place to start.  Your TV is native 10 bit so some would say it makes sense to feed it 10 bit as well.  And yet again, some people swear blind that feeding 12 bits and letting the TV 'down convert' to 10 bits gives them a better image.

If some of that is confusing sorry.  In a nutshell, you can ignore target luminance and yes Auto is fine for 2 and 3.  Watch a few discs using Auto and if you're happy leave it be.  If you like to fiddle around with your settings you can do that too.  Of course it's often a good idea to use the Settings Management function under Device setup.  This allows you to save your settings to USB and then play around with the settings to your hearts content.  If you stuff it up, simply restore from USB and start again :-)

Cheers and good luck

blairy

I agree with all Blairy's advice above.

Especially the bit about firmware update.

The "sharpening" function did not work until the latest UDP20XAU-45-0605 firmware update, so you'll need to confirm you're on that before comparing any adjustments against the Panasonic.

On 16/06/2017 at 0:21 PM, :) al said:

my hdmi glitches / hand shake issues on boot up with both my displays and with the 205 am happy to say at this point have been resolved by oppo (interdyn/oppo au in this case). anyone having same do please get in touch with them. took a little back and forth with some stuff i sent them and what they sent me ... but got there. very pleased wiht their responsiveness on this one smile.gif

Hi Al, with your issues now sorted out would you recommend the player?

19 hours ago, blairy1503559527 said:

Cheers and good luck

blairy

Yes thank you very much for your info. when it comes to TARGET LUMINANCE the default setting is 300Nits and I can say when I watched the 30 Minutes testing of Dispicable ME the DV movie I can say some scenes it must been like 1000nits

The HDR is set for Auto and so is the Color Space and at the same time I have read on the AVS this morning  that some members have set it for 4:4:4 and not auto (too many pages too read FFS).  I might have too look at the Panasonic UB 900 and see how I have set it at.

When it come to the Oppo UDP 203 with the LG 86SJ957T Tv it works very good. I find that the Panasonic DMP UB 900 to be very slightly sharper but if I use the Sharpness function of the Oppo (yes i know it causes artifacts) but I stop it on setting 4 before the Artifacts take hold The Oppo matches what the Pana can dish out. It would be good one day that all manufactures of TV can work on a Sharpening Tool that does not cause artifacts when sharpening.

18 hours ago, IMDave said:

I agree with all Blairy's advice above.

Especially the bit about firmware update.

The "sharpening" function did not work until the latest UDP20XAU-45-0605 firmware update, so you'll need to confirm you're on that before comparing any adjustments against the Panasonic.

The Very first thing I did was do a Firmware Update. I would say it has to be the Latest and have copied the Number down to check as I have unplugged the Cat 6 cable off the Oppo

17 hours ago, BTDT said:

Hi Al, with your issues now sorted out would you recommend the player?

hi btdt, only just got the fix for it and not too many discs under belt as yet since. but will type up some impressions on the player when get a chance over the next few days...

• Like 2

Hi all,

I came across this thread on a Google search for the Oppo 203 jailbreak. I have been holding off buying the Oppo for the past few weeks once I learned of the issues with JB'ing the latest firmware.  Is there currently a way for me to buy a player that can still be JB'ed while being able to upgrade to the recent firmware?  I am in the US, but am open to purchasing a player from anywhere as long as I can still read the menus!  :)