Magic Pvr Arrived Today

Don't worry, it's not just the Magic. Gspot has also been scathing of Topfield and Beyonwiz for their lack of perfection.

Maybe his BluRay player ran off with a PVR.

LOL, such a scurrilous event would be enough to make any Gspot over sensitive!!

John

Not sure what you are angry about. What is it about this PVR that annoys you and the title of the thread?? It does appear you are getting stuck into this product but hard to see why. No one is claiming it is perfect but so far it has been the best and most reliable PVR in this house and the least expensive into the bargain.

John

Already explained Tassie. Most of my angst is agianst Topfield actually, because I've been burnt. I have a general dislike for products like that in general. For someone like yourself who should be used to products that work straight away, I'm impressed at your "understanding" of the current climate regarding these highly technical products. :)

This should not happen. Try doing a test as follows:

- When the Magic TV is not recording, switch to 7, press R for instant recording

- Switch to Nine, press R for instant recording

- Wait for a few minutes, bring up the Recorded Programme List and see if two programmes are being recorded and can be played back

This worked, 2 channels can record

However the scheduler failed again last night, only 1 of the 2 shows recorded this time it was the other way around in terms of which one worked.

Can someone else with 5.05 firmware please try and schedule 2 shows on at the same time each weekday mon-fri and tell me if it works or not.

Ill set up a dummy on 2 other shows tonight and also delete/reschedule both from my scheduler.

Don't worry, it's not just the Magic. Gspot has also been scathing of Topfield and Beyonwiz for their lack of perfection.

Maybe his BluRay player ran off with a PVR.

Which of my BD playes would that be Paul? The Samsing that was used as a door stop because it would only play one of the three BD movies I tried...and FW upgrades were non-existant. Or the Panasoninc BD player that liked to lose settings all by itself and required rooting around just to get my picture back. Bloody HDMI!. :ninja: The third player appears fine...touch wood...except it plays DVDs in 4:3 for some reason. :unsure:

BYW, lack of perfection? I just want it to work as advertised. Tis a sad day when the complaintant is critiicised. You guys don't work for them do you? j/k.

Do the shows start at the exact same time? Try a slightly different satrt time for one.

Also don't use mon-fri timer, try use a daily.

Not suggesting these are solutions but just trying to find the cause.

Which is a pretty good example of the "check back in 6 months" comment

above -- the quirks of PVRs often only appear after extended use.

To some extent this excuses initial firmware bugs, it can be difficult to find

all the corner cases which trip them up, but by now they should have a robust

set of tests to run and programming methods which circumvent most of these

issues.

I think there was a couple of minutes difference in starting time like 7.02 for one and 7 for the other, and that may change daily in EPG, not sure what the Magic does though I assume just start recording at the set time.

I think I'll delete and re-enter tonight. I am on latest firmware though as I updated before starting any of this, wife is not a happy camper right now, though I let her use the internet for catch up episodes which cost me good BF3 play time.

Which is a pretty good example of the "check back in 6 months" comment

above -- the quirks of PVRs often only appear after extended use.

To some extent this excuses initial firmware bugs, it can be difficult to find

all the corner cases which trip them up, but by now they should have a robust

set of tests to run and programming methods which circumvent most of these

issues.

Mmm. Sadly past experience has shown that a fix for one bug can unearth an old or new one. :wacko: As we demand more and more functionality with our PVRs the complexity of the software must grow exponentially. This is not to be read as an excuse, but does explain why we keep finding problems. That said, I have not experienced any timer difficuilties with the MAGIC here yet, but it has only been running 5.05 for a couple of days so we shall see.

John

....... wife is not a happy camper right now, though I let her use the internet for catch up episodes which cost me good BF3 play time.

LOL, I know what you mean. I have two recorders set to "Survivors" in case of problems (and WIN does have a borderline signal here). To miss an episode of that for her is more than my life is worth. Personally I cannot stand it (or Oprah, Dr Phil, ... that she also loves) so they are on recorders away from the main system. But on the plus side the PVR now does let us escape items like that. :D

John

I think there was a couple of minutes difference in starting time like 7.02 for one and 7 for the other, and that may change daily in EPG, not sure what the Magic does though I assume just start recording at the set time.

I think I'll delete and re-enter tonight. I am on latest firmware though as I updated before starting any of this, wife is not a happy camper right now, though I let her use the internet for catch up episodes which cost me good BF3 play time.

Still on 5.04 firmware. I will test before and after I update to 5.05 firmware and post my findings. I have 5 minute padding (start and end) on my timers, are you using padding?

EDIT:

I could not reproduce the error, using one off timer recording (channel 7 and 9) in the to-do list and 5 minute padding. Tried both 5.04 and 5.05 firmware.

Edited by Submariner

Right back at you.

PVR pricing 4th quarter 2011;

Pricing is set to increase between 15-20% due to the worldwide HDD manufacturer shortages caused by flooding in Thailand

Hey! I did not have a go at you. I have been commenting on the product, not the person selling them. Who am I supposed to be working for? The competition? The very people I have been bagging? Seriously, don't be so defensive.

Hey! I did not have a go at you. I have been commenting on the product, not the person selling them. Who am I supposed to be working for? The competition? The very people I have been bagging? Seriously, don't be so defensive.

Am I too thick? I failed to see anything to get upset about between your post and that of Crazy Stu. A bit of banter helps the discussions be more digestible. :lol:

That is bad news for all electronics CS, not just PVRs. But who knows what is going to happen with Greece and Italy looking so unstable? This could spell bad news for everyone. Tighten your seat belts folks, we could be in for a rough ride where PVR problems will look nice in comparison.

John

Edited by Tassie Devil

Please perform a factory reset. After it has rebooted itself, make sure the to-do list is empty. Finally add those recordings back.

Edited by wklie

Was someone complaining that there wasn't an on-screen icon for recording?

The Info menu setup seems to have options to toggle on-screen display for a number of items including recording.

You almost need to be a rocket scientist to understand all the menu options available. ;)

I think someone meant that there is no recording icon displayed on the EPG display.

My old Topfield will show the icon on any show displayed on the EPG.

I think someone meant that there is no recording icon displayed on the EPG display.

My old Topfield will show the icon on any show displayed on the EPG.

Yes that was me. I seem to remember someone pointing out that repeat setting means the icon will only show if the repeat viewing is at EXACTLY the same time as that set first time. I do find that a bit annoying as it has caused me to set the same item 2X -> 2 recordings of essentially the same thing. It does not register conflict because the setting is on the same broadcast frequency. The 9000 satellite recorder immediately registers conflict as I think the Toppy also does but that could be because other recorders only allow two simultaneous recordings whereas the MAGIC will allow more within that channel frequency restriction.

As we have all agreed before no PVR is perfect + what features some might like, others do not so perhaps we should say there is no PVR that will suit everyone. Such is liofe.

John

Yes that was me. I seem to remember someone pointing out that repeat setting means the icon will only show if the repeat viewing is at EXACTLY the same time as that set first time. I do find that a bit annoying as it has caused me to set the same item 2X -> 2 recordings of essentially the same thing. It does not register conflict because the setting is on the same broadcast frequency. The 9000 satellite recorder immediately registers conflict as I think the Toppy also does but that could be because other recorders only allow two simultaneous recordings whereas the MAGIC will allow more within that channel frequency restriction.

As we have all agreed before no PVR is perfect + what features some might like, others do not so perhaps we should say there is no PVR that will suit everyone. Such is liofe.

John

Looking on the bright side maybe this will be fixed up on a future firmware update. :)

Does anyone know how to set the HDD to switch off?(System HDD Idle Standby). Reading the manual info I have tried several settings but the HDD continues to run unless I actually turn the entire unit off. I just like the idea of the HDD turning itself off after 15 minutes of inactivity! Is this feature affected by the separate Standby Mode which is chosen?(Fast Start Up, Energy Saving,All Off)

Does anyone know how to set the HDD to switch off?(System HDD Idle Standby).
Quick guess would be you still have the timeshift buffer on... Settings Timeshift Setup Instant Rewind Instant Rewind Period... if it's timeshifiting it isnt technically idle and therefore wont shut down (at least thats how it used to be on my other unit, but dont have the magic here to conifrm...).

As a side note, up to 24hrs timeshift is one of its good features in my book :)

Edit: So i actually never used it, whats the point of having a PVR that wont timeshift (unless you only *ever* watch pre-recordings)

Edited by temporary1

I want to move from a single tuner to a twin tuner recorder. I currently have a Panasonic DVDR (DMR-EH50) and a Panasonic TV (TH-42PV500A). In addition to a twin tuner I would also still like to burn the odd DVD as I do currenty with the Pan DVDR to view in another room. And I still need a DVD player.

I have almost decided on the Magic 4000 having tossed up between the Beyonwiz Lite i and the Magic.

My question is ... can I hook up the DVDR to the Magic and move content from the Magic to the DVDR?

Also, do I need an HDMI cable to connect the Magic4000 to my TV?

I'm not highly technical, just know what I want as a user, so thanks for your patience if these questions seem utterly simple to you.

I want to move from a single tuner to a twin tuner recorder. I currently have a Panasonic DVDR (DMR-EH50) and a Panasonic TV (TH-42PV500A). In addition to a twin tuner I would also still like to burn the odd DVD as I do currenty with the Pan DVDR to view in another room. And I still need a DVD player.

I have almost decided on the Magic 4000 having tossed up between the Beyonwiz Lite i and the Magic.

My question is ... can I hook up the DVDR to the Magic and move content from the Magic to the DVDR?

I'm not highly technical, just know what I want as a user, so thanks for your patience if these questions seem utterly simple to you.

You can connect it anyway you want. Composite, S-Video, Component or HDMI . However the only way to output HD signals is through the HDMI so that would be recommended as your TV can accept HDMI. All other connection types output SD only. The Magic TV is very well equipped when it comes to outputs and it basically suits all TV's that have any sort of AV inputs. I am using the S Video on mine and it gives a fantastic picture on my SD CRT.

Duplicate Post

Edited by holdencaulfield2007

You can connect it anyway you want. Composite, S-Video, Component or HDMI . However the only way to output HD signals is through the HDMI so that would be recommended as your TV can accept HDMI. All other connection types output SD only. ...

The Magic can't do HD on component? Not very Magic at all if that's true!

Of course, HDMI is the only one of those that is a digital output, but that's a different thing altogether.