Magic Pvr Arrived Today

• 3 weeks later...

Gday gents after having my magic for around 2 years trouble free my remote is becoming less responsive as well, but I have the magic connected to second TV in another room via composite as it outputs HDMI and composite at the same time, so I just use the iphone/ipad magic remote app, connects via wifi and its dongle and works flawlessly so there is an alternative if needed, and can be used anywhere in the house. BTW I bought a Magic for my 80 year old mum and she runs it no worries and loves it to death. Can you get this unit new anymore? I would buy another maybe 2 immediately, add skipping is just GOLD!!! PQ is fantastic

Gday gents after having my magic for around 2 years trouble free my remote is becoming less responsive as well, but I have the magic connected to second TV in another room via composite as it outputs HDMI and composite at the same time, so I just use the iphone/ipad magic remote app, connects via wifi and its dongle and works flawlessly so there is an alternative if needed, and can be used anywhere in the house. BTW I bought a Magic for my 80 year old mum and she runs it no worries and loves it to death. Can you get this unit new anymore? I would buy another maybe 2 immediately, add skipping is just GOLD!!! PQ is fantastic

Unfortunately it is no longer available new and very few used ones ever come up for sale

My remote has also gone kaput but luckily I use a Logitech remote without any issues

I've recently verified Magic TV internal HDD replacement with Toshiba 3TB DT01ACA300.

After the upgrade Magic TV reports 2.73TB free space. (The 2.73TB figure is equal to 3 x 10^12 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024, because HDD manufacturers count TB differently from computer or Magic TV.) The maximum size of internal HDD supported today is 4TB.

Instructions for Magic TV internal HDD replacement or upgrade:

1. A 3.5" internal SATA HDD for computer use will be needed. A brand new HDD without any partition cannot be handled by Magic TV. You may connect the new HDD to a PC to create a partition first - For 2TB or smaller HDD, use MBR partition. For larger than 2TB HDD, use GPT partition (supported by Windows Vista or later). Then perform a quick format of NTFS (this will be overwritten later).
2. If your Magic TV is not running the latest firmware, you must upgrade the firmware (download from Magic TV web site and unzip it to a USB flash drive in FAT32 format). Then perform a factory reset.
3. Power down the Magic TV using the rear power switch. Disconnect the power. Open up the Magic TV and replace the HDD.
4. Format the HDD again using the Magic TV: Settings -> Recording -> Advanced -> Format System HDD.

Edited by wklie

• 2 weeks later...

So I notice these are not sold here anymore.

I really like my MTV4000 and need another device.

Any recommendations for something that has as good PQ and Interface... that's the best thing about Magic, its very similar to foxtel IQ2, very easy for missus to use, and to browse whats on in the EPG.... need something similar... preferably with built in blu ray and / or network medai file playing (mkv!)

Beyonwiz?

anything ele?

what are the more easy to get options like samsung / panasonic like in comparison... ive always found their EPG/interface to be terrible.

suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week (while I was out all day) the power in my street was turned off. That evening after I returned home I noticed the front panel display was behaving erratically - turning on and off randomly. When it stayed on, there were strange unreadable "letters". I turned it on and off at the rear a few times, and did a few rescans, but the strange behaviour remains. Most of the time the display is dark- nothing to be seen at all.

The good news - so far - is that the unit appears to be fully functional. It records and plays back programmes perfectly as it has done for the past 2 years. The EPG is OK - series record OK. Time is correct. All channels OK.

Anyone any idea what the problem could be - or is my Magic finally about to die?

Last week (while I was out all day) the power in my street was turned off. That evening after I returned home I noticed the front panel display was behaving erratically - turning on and off randomly.

If your unit still functions and accepts remote control, there's no concern. Most likely just a dying front panel.

In case it does not even accept remote control, you can still use the free Android / iOS remote app to control it.

Thanks wklie for the info. Yes - I should have mentioned the remote works fine. A dying front panel - I suppose I shouldn't complain if that's all it is :).

*****Just after I typed the above*****, I glanced over at the Magic and the display is now suddenly working! #%$?"#@!

Day, date, time all correct & scheduled recording indicator OK.

Why would the display suddenly work again after almost a week?

I'd better cross my fingers and hope it doesn't malfunction again:(

Looks like I spoke too soon. My Magic has reverted to its problematic behaviour - a usually darkened front panel display. It's set to record the 6 pm News every day. As soon as it starts up at 5.45 all that can be seen on the front panel display is the HDD space meter showing FULL. I've already checked, and my hard drive is only about 10% full. The front panel displays other odd things now and again but there appears to be no negative effect yet on its operation.

So, for the moment, everything is working fine - it records, it plays back, the remote is OK. Guess I just have to cross my fingers and wait and see if the unit goes belly up or not down the track:(.

The last few days my Magic 4000PVR has been very slow -- after it's booted, trying to open the EPG or channel list takes around 30 seconds. I tried to do a HDD check, but after 45mins it hadn't finished (was stuck on "2").

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Cheers!

The last few days my Magic 4000PVR has been very slow -- after it's booted, trying to open the EPG or channel list takes around 30 seconds. I tried to do a HDD check, but after 45mins it hadn't finished (was stuck on "2").

Leave it for a few hours. If it doesn't cure the problem:

1. Settings -> Timeshift -> Instant Rewind -> Off

2 Format HDD by Settings -> Recording -> Advanced -> Format System HDD.

If this (likely) still does not solve the problem, power down the Magic TV, open it up and disconnect the SATA cable, then power it up. See if the PVR regains the normal responsiveness without the HDD.

If you need to replace the HDD - see post #1783 above.

Edited by wklie

Thanks for those suggestions wklie, leaving it for hours doing a HDD check seems to have worked!

I still think your HDD may be dying. It's best to backup unwatched programmes to 3.5" USB HDD first, if you can't watch them all ASAP.

Not been on here for a while just to report my MTV 4000 is still running fine with WD Elements 2TB 2.5" USB powered external drive. Some of the keys on the original remote have failed but not a worry as I use a Harmony 700 universal. Pity the TV Pioneer LX608 is not so healthy looks like it is on the way out and I don't suppose there are still many spare parts in stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to have a problem with both of my Magics in that when I go to the recorded programs menu when I hit the up or down buttons it sometimes just starts scrolling at a great rate through the list and won't stop till I hit the Live button.

Also sometimes when I hit the 30 sec ff button or the 1-9 skip forward buttons it will continue to skip forward as though I have them held down.

Started doing this on 1 unit about a month ago and was considering swapping them over (bedroom to lounge) but last night the bedroom one started doing it too.

Wondering if that feature that enabled continuous scrolling by holding button down has anything to do with it.

By memory that was introduced with a firmware update and can't be changed in the menu. Please correct me if I am wrong

Dont think its a controller problem as it also happened with my android phone app

Starting to have a problem with both of my Magics in that when I go to the recorded programs menu when I hit the up or down buttons it sometimes just starts scrolling at a great rate through the list and won't stop till I hit the Live button.

Please turn off all lights. If it still behaves the same, please also turn off the TV and observe whether this problem exists by just looking at the front panel.

Edited by wklie

• 3 weeks later...

I had an interesting problem with my magic tv after updating the firmware to the latest version, everytime i turned it on with the remote it turned on then turned itself off again. I thought it might have been my new universal remote (Logitech harmony 650)so i tried my old one (harmony 880)the same thing happened (used to work fine before) then i tried the proper magic tv remote, still no good. So i reinstalled the firmware i was using before (5.10c)and now the magic is back to turning on properly again, anyone else had a similar problem?(and yes i did do a factory reset after updating the firmware)

Edited by alf56

I had an interesting problem with my magic tv after updating the firmware to the latest version, everytime i turned it on with the remote it turned on then turned itself off again.

If this is caused by the auto repeat remote function added since 2013-7-16 (firmware 6.05 beta), you should see other buttons behaving similarly erratic, e.g. pressing up/down once causes the corresponding action to be done twice. If you do see this, then you can use an old firmware that does not have this feature (6.04 or before). If you don't see this, there may be another problem, and please try a factory reset.

In addition to the physical remote controls, you may also try the free Android / iOS Magic TV Remote app, if the Magic TV is connected to a WiFi router.

Edited by wklie