New Channel Coming To Free View

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish i new what 7MATE is really about...

Oh and i dont think gay tv channel would yet be available on free to air digital. Perhaps still due on foxtel.. when foxtel really cares to get one.

I have a gay flatmate who allways on about the gay tv channel u know news.. programes.. movies and all... Its shame that in australia been a big gay population and still theres no gay tv network. lol

:)

Dont count on me i like gentlemens with good bear face :P

Not sure about other areas, but here on the Gold Coast, 7mate is broadcasting 1440 x 1080, same as 7HD, so cant be 'seen' on an SD tuner.

So 7 have two HD channels now....i cant see the point on broadcasting the mostly low quality content on 7mate in HD?

Not sure about other areas, but here on the Gold Coast, 7mate is broadcasting 1440 x 1080, same as 7HD, so cant be 'seen' on an SD tuner.

So 7 have two HD channels now....i cant see the point on broadcasting the mostly low quality content on 7mate in HD?

"70" and "73" aren't real channels, they're just LCNs. The video & audio & closed caption stream IDs are invisible to you and me, and they could have 74,75,76 etc pointing to the same streams if they wanted to. It'd look to you like they had 5 channels all identical, but they're only "logical" channel numbers (hence "LCN").

Until last year, 71, 72, 73 all pointed to the same stream as LCN 7 (Seven SD). At first glance (after buying your first digital TV) you'd think "wow cool, Seven have loads of new channels", but no, the truth is they didn't.

CK.

So 7 have two HD channels now....

Think of it like this: On an analogue TV you can tune a station into any preset position you like. For example, most people would put seven in position 7. My autotune function used to put it in position 2, because it is the second station it found after ABC. But there is nothing stopping you from putting it in another preset position, or even in multiple preset positions if you like.

With digital, the LCN can be thought of as the preset position, the only difference to the user is that the station gets to control the preset number instead of you. So seven just put their single HD channel into two different preset positions.

Edited by yabbal

I think when 7mate starts channel 70 (60 regional) will dissapear don't know why they did'nt do what ABC did with their HD channel, the HD stays on its original LCN until it's retuned then it disappears.

Does it really matter where a HD channel is placed?

No ABC HD was redirected to LCN 24; However if you didn't rescan your TV/STB it would show ABC News 24 on LCN 20 because ABC used the same parameters as ABC HD for News 24.

Keep in mind as to what yabbal stated in an earlier post.

Nobody get's the idea of what LCN's are used for. :angry2:

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me exactly what is 7imate channel ? plasma screen founds this but theres a sign saying (comming soon.....)

Im sure theres allways going to be more and more new channels.. But dont be too suprise if they create a new channela nd suddently they delete the channel making it out as if Free to air channels are fully packed.

Please feel free to help nanci1.

FYI

nanci1 is a well known troll. His indecipherable posts are beyond the pale.

Please be warned.

An option is to ignore.

If offended or annoyed by his posts in these sections of the forum

please use the report button.

If you find his posts amusing,

please seek help

nanci1

AKA

Dondomains – called herself Linda xox

Profolios - called herself Macphee

Malissa (BURNED)

jon10210 (BURNED)

gh36j

maquiery - called herself Malissa

sandvd – called herself Sam

Forrestery2K

nanci1 - her 9th ID on the dtvforum

G'day,

To go on a different topic away from Channel 7's new channel coming....

We've heard rumours about Nine's new channel coming....I've seen a press release saying "Nine to announce new channel this week" about a week ago

Has it been announced? Where's the link? Maybe I've missed it, but I dont see any press releases at all, and for the rating people, I think they have to...so how can they be starting BEFORE 7mate, which was widely announced?

G'day,

We've heard rumours about Nine's new channel coming....I've seen a press release saying "Nine to announce new channel this week" about a week ago

Has it been announced? Where's the link? Maybe I've missed it, but I dont see any press releases at all, and for the rating people, I think they have to...so how can they be starting BEFORE 7mate, which was widely announced?

Well if im not mistaken you know digital is an open large space... where aventualy all spaces will be filled up and unlimited. I do hope there will be more channmels comming and continue to bring them. But dont expect if they create one and replace an old one. course really thats not a new channel been added just a replacement.. They do that all the times with foxtel really.. so nothing is new.

But digital is not limited.. digital is an open space more channels will arrive just now and then.

goodluck to what your asking for. I hope ive help abit there with that and yeah one time there was 3d channel and suddently they have gone. they dont no what they want when it comes to brand new channels.

But digital is not limited.. digital is an open space more channels will arrive just now and then.

digital has a max bitrate of ~23Mbps per 7MHz Multiplex. This is practically fully used now by 2 SD channels and a HD channel. People are already complaining about the Poor Picture Quality of the existing channels. Unless you're happy with Youtube style Picture quality (which is already the case for some channels), then no new channels can be added using the existing technology. To add more channels would require a change to MPEG-4 AVC* and/or DVB-T2* which would halve the required bitrate per channel and boost the max bitrate per multiplex to ~30Mbps.

*this is not an invitation to start going on about either technology alanh.

G'day,

I searched the net yesterday looking for clues but found nothing at all. Beginning to wonder if it was all a rumour <_<

I don't think we know any more than we knew a couple of weeks back.

7, 9 & 10 are going to release new channels in the next 6 months or so. The channels are supposed to be:

1) 7mate (Sep 25) channel for men.

2) GEM (rumour only - showing 9's 'old shows & movies', or "crime", or "women's channel"....)

3) 11 ("early 2011") - a channel with a young adult focus, leaving the main TEN to move to an older audience. It's a joint venture with CBS who will own 1/3 of the channel.

digital has a max bitrate of ~23Mbps per 7MHz Multiplex. This is practically fully used now by 2 SD channels and a HD channel. People are already complaining about the Poor Picture Quality of the existing channels. Unless you're happy with Youtube style Picture quality (which is already the case for some channels), then no new channels can be added using the existing technology. To add more channels would require a change to MPEG-4 AVC* and/or DVB-T2* which would halve the required bitrate per channel and boost the max bitrate per multiplex to ~30Mbps.

They are not "adding" a new channel, it's just that the HD channel will no longer be identical to an SD channel. So if you don't have a HD receiver, you'll be missing more than just ABCnews24.

* GEM is a big unknown (some say it'll be SD since it's old shows).

* 11 will be SD (leaving ONE sports only in HD).

* 7mate will use the HD channel (the "guy" shows tend to need HD more, and the guy viewers are more likely to be HD capable)

For logos of 7mate and 11, see http://freeview.com.au/channels/default.aspx?regionId=1

No idea when/if GEM will appear of course.

7mate: Yahoo7 article: http://au.tv.yahoo.com/mate/article/-/article/7759064/

Eleven: CBS announcement: http://www.cbscorporation.com/news-article.php?id=677

Edited by GregA

They are not "adding" a new channel, it's just that the HD channel will no longer be identical to an SD channel. So if you don't have a HD receiver, you'll be missing more than just ABCnews24.

I was already aware of that. I was just pointing out to nanci1 that digital is limited, not "unlimited" in terms of how many channels they can put on a single multiplex.

EDIT: I fail to see how from my post you thought that I was saying they are "adding" new channels. My post was plainly put a description of the limitation of existing digital technologies. In no spot did I say that they're "adding" or replacing.

Edited by digitalj

I fail to see how from my post you thought that I was saying they are "adding" new channels. My post was plainly put a description of the limitation of existing digital technologies. In no spot did I say that they're "adding" or replacing.

Misunderstandings are easily made but easily corrected. :)

I saw you say they couldn't add new channels, and responded that there would be 3 new channels. And actually both are true (due to simulcasts being removed).

Apologies, and thanks for the clarification.

I don't think we know any more than we knew a couple of weeks back.

And that's not much more than we knew in 2006 (covered here in this forum in detail).

The commercial FTAs were allowed to start a new SD multichannel on 1/1/2009, which they eventually did last year.

They were also allowed to start an HD multichannel on 1/1/2007 but they've taken until 2010 to do that. Between 2007 and 2009 they did flirt with a part-time "breakaway" multichannel, and that's how we got those fancy logos for 7HD, 9HD, TENHD.

But the plainly obvious end-game is here now: All three commercial FTAs have three separate channels. 2 SD and 1 HD.

That's why I'm scratching my head when people on this forum are shocked at 7HD and 9HD closing their simulcast.

CK.

Guest john-andrew
Stupid name. 7mate.

I only did a re-name on Channel 73 as there wasn't a need to re-scan the PVR. Anyway, I noticed on some do automatically update to the new channel.

Southern Cross Television has announced 7mate will commence broadcasting in Tasmania (on LCN 60) and Darwin (on LCN 70) from Sunday, October 24.

They have also announced a digital only Channel Nine service for Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill viewers to commence from Sunday, October 31.