Whatmough Experience

Spearmint

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do VAF ever come over here for the home show or anything, I thought I saw somewhere that they did although that was a while ago.

DS

[/b]

They were there both years that I made a special trip over (2004 and 2005). However, their display was near the entrance on the ground floor and serious listening was impossible.

I'm quite looking forward to having a good listen at their showroom with the rest of the mighty SA contingent :)

I was going to say something intelligent, humorous, and down right explosive in response to my mate TonyM's, Mighty SA comment. BUT' I've enjoyed myself too much today and have had a couple of refreshing drinks to try and combat this horrid hot weather, so I'll pass.

Honestly though, I think the Vics are doing it right with their bloody GTG's. One day, yes! One day, we''ll have one and you won't be able to shut us up.

I was going to say something intelligent, humorous, and down right explosive in response to my mate TonyM's, Mighty SA comment. BUT' I've enjoyed myself too much today and have had a couple of refreshing drinks to try and combat this horrid hot weather, so I'll pass.

Honestly though, I think the Vics are doing it right with their bloody GTG's. One day, yes! One day, we''ll have one and you won't be able to shut us up.

[/b]

Gee Grumps, I'd love to say something intelligent and humorous, anytime, anywhere........so I wouldn't pass so easy on that :biggrin:

Hi Minty,

There are some JM Lab Mezzo Utopia's on fleabay with a starting price of $8,500...

Might be worth a listen!

[/b]

Good pickup Waylander. These would have a very nice full sound. I did not like the looks of these JMLabs (older style) at all either Spearmint until I heard them in HK - then I changed my mind

Whilst the Be1027 is so much nicer looking, the older larger Novas I heard were definitely superior in clarity, presence and I fell in love with the sound. I guess they were also at somewhat greater price point too - but if you get what I mean - I ended up overlooking the form when the function exceeded my expectation

Guest alebonau

those mezzo utopias are really in another league in my opinion. a sensational bargain given their price. maybe even worth a bit spearmint. sometimes things in photos can look quite different to in reality when standing next to them.

Guest alebonau

I'll have a think about them then.

BTW did you also see the Moon P5 pre they have for sale?

$4700.00 Buy now price.

[/b]

thats a good price on one of those spearmint. maybe worth you visiting the guy selling both the speakers and the pre to check em out ?

I'll have a think about them then.

BTW did you also see the Moon P5 pre they have for sale?

$4700.00 Buy now price.

[/b]

I stumbled across this myself this morning. There are actually 2 of them on eBay at the moment. Both in Melb. The black one would've been bought from CAV or Alex's Audio (importer of Sim Audio/Moon) and the silver unit would've been imported from HK, as that is where the digitalpowersonline dude gets his gear from.

Both are an absolute bargain (when compared to new price).

I tend to shy away from the whole "cause I own it, it must be the best" attitude, but this is one product which I would unashamedly recommend to anyone, based on my experience with it.

Guest alebonau

~

The black pre and this CDP would make a nice combo at a good saving from RRP!

I don't think my 5th division tatts win on the weekend will stretch to the $7-8k the pair would cost me ><

[/b]

that would a bargain indeed and if going with the all black versions would be well worth grabbing at the same time the black matching moon W8 power amp that CAV is clearing out. Would all be the basis of a sensational system in my opinion !

Anyone heard the Moon 'Nova' CDP that's also on fleabay?

I don't think my 5th division tatts win on the weekend will stretch to the $7-8k the pair would cost me ><

[/b]

I havn't heard it. I saw last week on Audiogon a guy selling his Moon Eclipse CD player for around $2.4K USD. This player is over $11K new here. It has a separate chassy for the PS. No idea how easy to change it to 240V, but that is a steal.

I think we are WAAAY off topic now.

Guest alebonau

I havn't heard it. I saw last week on Audiogon a guy selling his Moon Eclipse CD player for around $2.4K USD. This player is over $11K new here. It has a separate chassy for the PS. No idea how easy to change it to 240V, but that is a steal.

I think we are WAAAY off topic now.

[/b]

wow that is one super sexy cd player the moon eclipse for US$2.4k !.

Cool :)

If you ever find somewhere in melb to audition the I-66's please let me know, as they are something I would really like to listen to as they are at that sweet spot in my next speaker price range :)

[/b]

Let's see if this works now.

I do have pair of i66's at my disposal, and I'm in Melbourne inner south-east. The setup is still not perfect as my room is still too live and very large (~8x6x3m), I'm still working on ways to dampen it. But it will give you some indication of what smaller VAFs can and cannot do.

I also have friend's ATC SCM-100 (with legendary ATCs Super midrange) on a 'permanent loan', so that can be heard too I guess (at the moment they are part of my bedroom system :) ). Coming weekend is already booked out but let's try to work something out.

Bratislav

Let's see if this works now.

I do have pair of i66's at my disposal, and I'm in Melbourne inner south-east. The setup is still not perfect as my room is still too live and very large (~8x6x3m), I'm still working on ways to dampen it. But it will give you some indication of what smaller VAFs can and cannot do.

I also have friend's ATC SCM-100 (with legendary ATCs Super midrange) on a 'permanent loan', so that can be heard too I guess (at the moment they are part of my bedroom system :) ). Coming weekend is already booked out but let's try to work something out.

Bratislav [/b]

Very generous offer mate :)

Would love a listen at some stage, time permitting of course :)

Drizt

Very generous offer mate :)

Would love a listen at some stage, time permitting of course :)

Drizt

[/b]

Yes very generous.

I too would like to have an opportunity to listen at some stage; this will give me some comparison against Luckydog’s I-93’s.

Yes very generous.

I too would like to have an opportunity to listen at some stage; this will give me some comparison against Luckydog’s I-93’s.

[/b]

Ditto, would be good to hear the I-66s as they have a great rep

..must get around to LDs as well - gotta experience them there holes too

Anyone heard the Moon 'Nova' CDP that's also on fleabay?

[/b]

I think Jayy has one of these ($5.5K sounds right anyway)

If it is, we had it around at my place for a cd shootout a few months ago. I recall it did pretty well

http://www.planetaudio.com.au/forum/index....post&p=9836

post#48 shows a photo of it

http://www.planetaudio.com.au/forum/index....post&p=9976

OK, I see there is enough interest, let's work something out. Everyone is welcome of course, although there's going to be fighting for a sweet spot (and yes, there is a DEFINITE sweet spot with i66s. Not as bad as some electrostatics, but really only one person at the time will enjoy the "lock it in" soundstage).

I'll check with the missus re coming weekends, any preferences ? Sunday is perhaps less hectic.

Rod N, are you out there ?

Bratislav

OK, I see there is enough interest, let's work something out. Everyone is welcome of course, although there's going to be fighting for a sweet spot (and yes, there is a DEFINITE sweet spot with i66s. Not as bad as some electrostatics, but really only one person at the time will enjoy the "lock it in" soundstage).

I'll check with the missus re coming weekends, any preferences ? Sunday is perhaps less hectic.

Rod N, are you out there ?

Bratislav

[/b]

Yes hi Bratislav I was just playing Cacao Master Sessions last night and thinking of the other music you brought around that day, including the excellent wine!

Yes hi Bratislav I was just playing Cacao Master Sessions last night and thinking of the other music you brought around that day, including the excellent wine!

[/b]

There's definetely more of the same where that one came from (both CDs and the wine of course :wink: )

How's your search for a new CD player going ? I'm in a same boat (for seemingly forever). Can't find bl**dy free time (too many live concerts :) )

Mint,you don't like the Mezze Utopias??

These were my original hard on dream speakers.Going just on memory though,but these were sensational.Very much getting up there with Norps 802Ds,but thats just a memory,in the flesh today who knows.But I loved the syling above all.?

Brats,how are these things on permamant loan?Half your luck!

I really rate the I-66's. When I heard them side by side with the I-93's at VAF's, I thought that they were better. It has a smaller sound than the I-93's - less bass, less dynamic, less exciting, but a more intimate kind of sound. The exception is if you have a listening room that can handle a pair of I-93's in it. In VAF's listening room, the I-66's sounded better. My comment to Keith at VAF was that the I-93's were very good, but may be too much of a good thing. Of course it's all a personal pref kind of thing, and my own personal pref is towards a more intimate kind of sound - the sound that the I-66 delivers.

Of the Aussie made speakers I have listened to so far (bearing in mind that I have never heard Aslan, Equinox, or any of the new Whatmoughs), the VAF's have impressed me the most. Certainly worth your trouble to have a listen, Drizt.

(By the way, what are you doing on the net? I thought you were supposed to be moving? :):) )