Freeview Australia

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i so dont get this, they are lauching freeview now, but the channels are gonna launch sometime next year??!!

so whats the point of launching freeview now?

to make people aware of it. Just because the new channels don't start til around April 2009 doesn't mean people can't be informed of the choice digital TV will give. It also tells people that within a few years, analogue will be turned off.

It's not just about the new SD channels... :)

I don't understand it. If Ten is going to broadcast their ONE sports channel on both SD and HD, then how can there be 15 channels with Freeview? Even if every other channel put separate programming on their multichannels, we would only come to 14 in total:

ABC1 + ABC2 + ABC-HD

SBS1 + SBS-News + SBS-HD

Seven + Seven-HD + Seven-2

Nine + Nine-HD + Nine-2

Ten + ONE

Is this all just spin?

Short answer: Yes, it's just spin.

Longer answer: Hey, they said 15 channels, not "15 channels of different programming" :-) The fact that ABC HD, SBS HD, Nine HD and Seven HD mostly just simulcast what's on their main analog and SD digital channels is irrelevant from a marketing viewpoint. As far as they're concerned OneHD and OneSD are two channels, and that makes 15 baby...

dont worry got it haha,,

im confused they got ten, tenhd and ten sd ( wasnt it gonna be ten2 or something!

by 7sd does that mean that they are gonna have all the stuff shown on the hd channel to be on the sd channel aswell or is it gonna be separate channels with different content??

also another question,, on the FAQ's, it says how do i get freeview - equipemnt will be badge with the freeview logo, the equipment will be availbe widely in 2009, so does that mean that we cant view the freeview channels on a normal hd set top box?

lol sorry for all the questions

also another question,, on the FAQ's, it says how do i get freeview - equipemnt will be badge with the freeview logo, the equipment will be availbe widely in 2009, so does that mean that we cant view the freeview channels on a normal hd set top box?

lol sorry for all the questions

im confused they got ten, tenhd and ten sd ( wasnt it gonna be ten2 or something!

Their mistake, should be Ten SD, One SD, One HD according to TEN PDF.

by 7sd does that mean that they are gonna have all the stuff shown on the hd channel to be on the sd channel aswell or is it gonna be separate channels with different content??

Seven haven't publicly announced what they are going to do with the extra SD channel they can have from next year.

No. You will be able to view the channels with current digital TV equipment (eg TV with Digital Tuner, etc).

dont worry got it haha,,

what is the website?

I still get under construction on

freeview.com.au

so does that mean that we cant view the freeview channels on a normal hd set top box?

It is just that that the "FreeView" consortium will be putting "FreeView Ready" on selected PVR's like TIVO as an example though all HD PVR's and HD set top boxes will work just fine with it.

FreeView isn't anything, it's just what we have now anyway just given a nice name.

The Freeview EPG, though, might turn out to be something. And hopefully it won't be a something that requires new hardware...

If they can the get EPG's working properly, program scheduling on time like Foxtel and stop shifting program time slots around all the time I will be happy.

Edited by jrtm

I just can't wait for the false advertising to hit them.

And I quote:

Will Everyone be able to get Freeview?

The full suite of Freeview channels will be available to all Australian homes than can recieve an HD digital signal

Now, if the marketing guff is to be believed, I can receive ABC-HD therefore I can get 7, 9 and 10 HD....

Strange that Imparja nor Southern Cross 7 even have digital, let alone HD. Not to mention that we haven't seen 10 since Imparja went to pure 9 broadcasts.

Wake me up in 2013 so I can set my alarmclock forward another 10 years until I get digital television.

I just can't wait for the false advertising to hit them.

And I quote:

Now, if the marketing guff is to be believed, I can receive ABC-HD therefore I can get 7, 9 and 10 HD....

Strange that Imparja nor Southern Cross 7 even have digital, let alone HD. Not to mention that we haven't seen 10 since Imparja went to pure 9 broadcasts.

Wake me up in 2013 so I can set my alarmclock forward another 10 years until I get digital television.

I think it now says "most" Australian homes...