Warranty Q`tion

Hi, my 2yr old `32` V bravia is dead, (started to turn itself off & wouldn`t turn back on) anyway I took out extended warranty with Narta. They arranged to have it picked up (from my house last week). I just phoned them & they said it was not economical to repair & will pass on the report to Narta.

My question is given that at the time I purchased the set it was the top Sony `32` model will Narta give me the current top of the line `32` Sony ?

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...ategoryId=34643,

which of course is approximately $1200 cheaper than what I originally paid. Or could I ask for a a different brand ? Is the Sony 32 inch (see link) one of the better 32 LCD`s ?

Cheers

Brick

I would imagine that they would need to supply you with an 'equivalent' model.

If this means equivalent in features then this would probably mean not the top model as the newer models have more features than sets two years ago

Alternately they may provide the equivalent model in terms of hiearchy, but the best outcome would be if they 'cashed out' and gave you the $ value you paid two years ago ;)

I would imagine that they would need to supply you with an 'equivalent' model.

If this means equivalent in features then this would probably mean not the top model as the newer models have more features than sets two years ago

Alternately they may provide the equivalent model in terms of hiearchy, but the best outcome would be if they 'cashed out' and gave you the $ value you paid two years ago ;)

Yeh the hopefully the later, though having re-read the T&C` it states replace with `Equivalent Specifications` so maybe I won`t get the KDL32D, but if thats the case hopefully they`ll give me cridit for the rrp (from Sony site) of $1599 for the V series (or worse case) $1399 for the S series, then I could add a small amount & get a D model (read I get be had for $1499), I`ll just have to wait & see.

I was actually hoping someone else may have had a similar experience with Narta warranty & could tell of their experience.

Edited by bricknhammer

Have a read of the folowing document from the ACCC on warranties and refunds and note in particular the first example on page 11.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/item.phtml?...d%20refunds.pdf

If the T&C of your extended warranty contract are such that it only provides insurance to the present day value of a unit with your specifications, you might do better to first approach Sony on the basis of your statutory rights.

Yeh the hopefully the later, though having re-read the T&C` it states replace with `Equivalent Specifications` so maybe I won`t get the KDL32D, but if thats the case hopefully they`ll give me cridit for the rrp (from Sony site) of $1599 for the V series (or worse case) $1399 for the S series, then I could add a small amount & get a D model (read I get be had for $1499), I`ll just have to wait & see.

I was actually hoping someone else may have had a similar experience with Narta warranty & could tell of their experience.

Hi, thanks for the link, though my understanding is because I have pursued this through `extended warranty` (I`ll contact Narta today to see what their decision is), I really don`t need to contact Sony re: paid $3000 for TV, lasts < 2 yrs, the cost of repair is not ecomonically viable, I expected it to last for at least 5(?) years...I`d want a refund !

THis may be bit presumptuous, though what pisses me off is that I bought the best spec`d Sony 32 (& paid for it), but under extended they could just `give` me the S model (the current lowest spec 32) as a replacement (as the specs are similar to mine), I`ll post the outcome, hopefully soon.

Cheers

Hi, thanks for the link, though my understanding is because I have pursued this through `extended warranty` (I`ll contact Narta today to see what their decision is), I really don`t need to contact Sony re: paid $3000 for TV, lasts < 2 yrs, the cost of repair is not ecomonically viable, I expected it to last for at least 5(?) years...I`d want a refund !

THis may be bit presumptuous, though what pisses me off is that I bought the best spec`d Sony 32 (& paid for it), but under extended they could just `give` me the S model (the current lowest spec 32) as a replacement (as the specs are similar to mine), I`ll post the outcome, hopefully soon.

Cheers

In most cases under extended warranty and or insurance claims you will get a replacement to the same (or close enough) specification unit, price dont come into play, as we are all aware same / similar technology from yesteryear can now be bought at half the price.

The only time you will get money for it is if that product is no longer made and nothing is made of a similar kind or you have actually insurad something for the value (ie rare gem etc, antique , rare car etc).

In most cases under extended warranty and or insurance claims you will get a replacement to the same (or close enough) specification unit, price dont come into play, as we are all aware same / similar technology from yesteryear can now be bought at half the price.

I`ve resided to the fact that (hopefully) Narta will provide credit for a S series or at best a V model, though my dealings with Narta have not started out well, as initially they said that they`d faxed the order through to a local repair company, but after 3 days of nothing I phoned the repairer and found out Narta had NOT sent them anything (called back Narta & they said they`ll send it now). THe repairer came to collect the TV the day they received the fax from Narta.

7 days had passed and I phoned the repairer, they informed me that the TV was not worth repairing & would send Narta a report stating this. I wait 3 days & phone Narta....they tell me they have not received the repairers report (WTF?). Back on the phone to the repairer (who I find really helpful), only to find that they had sent the report the day I phoned them (3 days previous), they assured me that they did indeed sent it, but would send another copy today.

THe women explained that Narta always seem to say that they have sent something (when they haven`t) or say they haven`t received something (when its been sent to them via fax/email). Stalling tactics this early on is a bit ominous...time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update, after many phone calls to Narta (& 27 days later), its finally sorted, I `m getting a `store credit` for a Sony KDL 32 S, so the outcome is positive.

I phoned JB today and they`ll price match a 32 D model for $1420, so I`m really hoping I can make up the $ difference of the price between the S and D model, which is what i`m really after. Anyone else experiencing hassles with warranty, keep on their case, or maybe I expected things too quickly, either way I `m very lucky I took up the extended warranty option, otherwise it`d be $3200 down the drain. Apparently the part(s) that were `broken/faulty` are not available & if they were (according to Narta, Sony said, the parts are too expensive in comparison to what the set is worth).