Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

Hey racerz,

Input 3 (and only Input 3) can be used for HDMI as well as with Stereo RCA Audio inputs. So you just need the correct cable from your Macbook Pro's [Combined optical digital audio output/audio line out (minijack)] to Stereo RCA.

Cheers,

solly

Thanks so much mate!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was thinking of doing the same, but was concerned with loss of PQ going through my yammy. instead i connected my dvd, br and media streamer to the pio for video and to the yammy through optical and coax for audio.

anyone have any thoughts on pq through a receiver?

Quick question.

I plan to hook up all my hardware (PS3, DVDR & Foxtel) to my Yamaha receiver, and then output via HDMI to the 508XDA.

If I want audio from the TV to the receiver, all I need is an optical cable from the 508XDA to my receiver. Is this right??

i was thinking of doing the same, but was concerned with loss of PQ going through my yammy. instead i connected my dvd, br and media streamer to the pio for video and to the yammy through optical and coax for audio.

anyone have any thoughts on pq through a receiver?

Hi Molika.

I have had my Yammy 1800b set up for a few days and have everything running to it (PS3, DVD & Wii) via HDMI and then to my XDA. I see no difference in PQ. It has certainly enhanced the SQ when watching bluray with HD sound formats.

Cheers.

Just curious, is your final setting close to the one that is recommended from AVforum? (D65)

I guess some settings would be different due to your room's lighting, etc... but I think something like sharpness level should be close, unless what your calibrator wants to achieve is different to the one listed below?

I just cut and paste this from the attached file:

These settings should be applied to the letter, you can adjust sharpness and saturation to suit but don't alter colour temp or colour mangement away from the settings below.

********************************************************************************

For SKY HD, PS3, Blue Ray or HD/DVD (BLUE RAY, PS3 OR HD/DVD YOU NEED TO ADJUST PURE CINEMA)

(SKY HD SET PURE CINEMA TO OFF)

AV SELECTION ***MOVIE***

CONTRAST 30

BRIGHTNESS 0

COLOUR -2

TINT +2 Towards Green

SHARPNESS -15

PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMA

FILM MODE OFF (BLUE RAY/HD DVD Smooth or Advanced)

TEXT OPTIMISATION OFF

Like I said in an earlier post in this thread, it seems that the UK settings for contrast at about 30 don't match the calibration of panels in Australia, which seem to end up at about 40 minimum. Also, sharpness at -15 is way off any scale I have seen for a 508XDA. Most other settings are also very close to zero.

Like I said in an earlier post in this thread, it seems that the UK settings for contrast at about 30 don't match the calibration of panels in Australia, which seem to end up at about 40 minimum. Also, sharpness at -15 is way off any scale I have seen for a 508XDA. Most other settings are also very close to zero.

What are your settings by the way?

Hi Molika.

I have had my Yammy 1800b set up for a few days and have everything running to it (PS3, DVD & Wii) via HDMI and then to my XDA. I see no difference in PQ. It has certainly enhanced the SQ when watching bluray with HD sound formats.

Cheers.

i supose for the hd audio formats you have no other option then to run hdmi to the receiver and then hdmi to the the pio. i remember reading in other threads that PQ will suffer if passing through other devices ie receiver etc that don't have good video processing. good to hear that you can't see any difference, i'll try on the weekend.

i supose for the hd audio formats you have no other option then to run hdmi to the receiver and then hdmi to the the pio. i remember reading in other threads that PQ will suffer if passing through other devices ie receiver etc that don't have good video processing. good to hear that you can't see any difference, i'll try on the weekend.

I'm not sure to what extent the 1800b processes the image, if at all depending on your setup. I have my receiver set to pass through signal, not to upscale it (except for Wii) so I assume that my source PQ is not being altered / processed until it reaches my XDA (As mentioned, I cannot notice any difference). Also, I think you will find you will only ever get HD audio using HDMI as both optical and coaxial digital lack the bandwidth to pass HD audio. Regardless, I am really happy with the performance of my XDA and 1800b.

What are your settings by the way?

doesn't anyone bother to read previous posts .. ???

and I quote again from a few days ago ...

As reported in another thread on DVE and 508XDA calibration, I had Aaron from Avical round last week to do an ISF calibration on my 508XDA. As usual, he did a very thorough job and I was quite happy with the service.

I have made a couple of changes to my system with the recent addition of a 60GB PS3 and reverting to the Sony 955 DVD in lieu of the Oppo (menu and remote not user friendly enough for rest of family). Anyway, I was keen to get the whole thing set up right and to see how good the PS3 could be. This is the second panel that I have had done and four inputs were calibrated, including internal digital tuner, DVD (component), Foxtel (component), and PS3 (HDMI). I will add a DVD/HDD recorder (HDMI) in a few weeks which obviously won't be calibrated.

Initial impressions are very good although I haven't really spent enough time at it yet given that we were away for the weekend. Had a look at my first Blu-Ray last night (some crappy action film) and was very impressed with the quality (not the film). As part of the calibration, Aaron checked whether the DVD was better at scaling than the panel and the panel won out. It was the reverse with the PS3, in fact the quality of the PS3 was outstanding. Calibration generally resulted in minor changes to colour detail and management settings however the contrast setting was higher than I had adjusted it to using DVE.

As an indication, the settings that I have for the internal tuner are as listed below. Your settings will vary of course, particularly for other devices. DVE is a good start, but if you want it done properly I recommend that you get your panel properly calibrated.

AV Selection User

Contrast +41

Brightness 0

Colour +3

Tint 0

Sharpness -3

Pro Adjust

Pure Cinema Film Mode/text Optimisation Off

Intelligent Mode Off

Picture Detail

DRE Picture Low

Black level On

ACL Off

Enhancer Mode 2

Gamma 2

Colour Detail

Colout Temp Manual

R high -4

G high 0

B high -5

R Low +1

G Low +1

B Low -1

CTI On

Colur Management

Red 0

Yellow +1

Green 0

Cyan -1

Blue 0

Magenta -1

Colour Space 1

Drive Mode 1

mjs

Thanks for the comparison, that looks slightly different to Bump's setting there. I find it quite interesting that the sharpness level differs so much, and the contrast too - even though the UK one is also a PAL TV. I wonder what kind of adjustment I will end up with. Now I don't have the DVE, so I guess I have to use a DVD with correct colour tone and contrast then.

As reported in another thread on DVE and 508XDA calibration, I had Aaron from Avical round last week to do an ISF calibration on my 508XDA. As usual, he did a very thorough job and I was quite happy with the service.

I have made a couple of changes to my system with the recent addition of a 60GB PS3 and reverting to the Sony 955 DVD in lieu of the Oppo (menu and remote not user friendly enough for rest of family). Anyway, I was keen to get the whole thing set up right and to see how good the PS3 could be. This is the second panel that I have had done and four inputs were calibrated, including internal digital tuner, DVD (component), Foxtel (component), and PS3 (HDMI). I will add a DVD/HDD recorder (HDMI) in a few weeks which obviously won't be calibrated.

Initial impressions are very good although I haven't really spent enough time at it yet given that we were away for the weekend. Had a look at my first Blu-Ray last night (some crappy action film) and was very impressed with the quality (not the film). As part of the calibration, Aaron checked whether the DVD was better at scaling than the panel and the panel won out. It was the reverse with the PS3, in fact the quality of the PS3 was outstanding. Calibration generally resulted in minor changes to colour detail and management settings however the contrast setting was higher than I had adjusted it to using DVE.

As an indication, the settings that I have for the internal tuner are as listed below. Your settings will vary of course, particularly for other devices. DVE is a good start, but if you want it done properly I recommend that you get your panel properly calibrated.

AV Selection User

Contrast +41

Brightness 0

Colour +3

Tint 0

Sharpness -3

Pro Adjust

Intelligent Mode Off

Picture Detail

DRE Picture Low

Black level On

ACL Off

Enhancer Mode 2

Gamma 2

Colour Detail

Colout Temp Manual

R high -4

G high 0

B high -5

R Low +1

G Low +1

B Low -1

CTI On

Colur Management

Red 0

Yellow +1

Green 0

Cyan -1

Blue 0

Magenta -1

Colour Space 1

Drive Mode 1

mjs

Thanks for the info mjs.

Can you advise if any changes made to the "Others" settings in Pro Adjust and Noise Reduction Settings.

What is the Power Control Setting set to.

Also can you advise where the Drive Mode is as i had a look through the pro adjust settings and couldnt see it. Did you mean the Power Control Energy save feature?

Thanks

Rod

Thanks for the info mjs.

Can you advise if any changes made to the "Others" settings in Pro Adjust and Noise Reduction Settings.

What is the Power Control Setting set to.

Also can you advise where the Drive Mode is as i had a look through the pro adjust settings and couldnt see it. Did you mean the Power Control Energy save feature?

Thanks

Rod

Drive mode is on page 2 of Other, from memory - just scroll down.

Cheers

Zed

AV Selection User

Contrast +41

Brightness 0

Colour +3

Tint 0

Sharpness -3

Pro Adjust

Intelligent Mode Off

Picture Detail

DRE Picture Low

Black level On

ACL Off

Enhancer Mode 2

Gamma 2

Colour Detail

Colout Temp Manual

R high -4

G high 0

B high -5

R Low +1

G Low +1

B Low -1

CTI On

Colur Management

Red 0

Yellow +1

Green 0

Cyan -1

Blue 0

Magenta -1

Colour Space 1

Drive Mode 1

mjs

I find it interesting that you have the Drive Mode on 1. I have found that Drive Mode 2 reduces (although doesn't eliminate) jerkiness on FTA TV. It is particularly noticable with scrolling text. Does anyone know if there is a downside to using Drive Mode 2?

I find it interesting that you have the Drive Mode on 1. I have found that Drive Mode 2 reduces (although doesn't eliminate) jerkiness on FTA TV. It is particularly noticable with scrolling text. Does anyone know if there is a downside to using Drive Mode 2?

Aaron left the drive mode setting on 1 for all connections

tony

I think set it to what looks best for you but if the professional fella sets it to 1 it must be for a reason.

I will compare the settings later when the news is on and see if i can see a difference in scolling text between setting 1 & 2. It seems each setting has its benefits. 1 seems to be a balance for all occassions whereas 2 seems more for scrolling text so maybe Aaron sets it to 1 due to the fact that scrolling text is only an occassional thing that you watch.

Edited by spalmills

I'm not sure to what extent the 1800b processes the image, if at all depending on your setup. I have my receiver set to pass through signal, not to upscale it (except for Wii) so I assume that my source PQ is not being altered / processed until it reaches my XDA (As mentioned, I cannot notice any difference). Also, I think you will find you will only ever get HD audio using HDMI as both optical and coaxial digital lack the bandwidth to pass HD audio. Regardless, I am really happy with the performance of my XDA and 1800b.

Hi,

What are the benfits of running the video thru the A/V receiver? Seems like an unnecessary diversion?

My Yammie doesn't input/output HDMI anyways, but my Beyonwiz STB & DVD are connected directly to plasma via HDMI with optical to the receiver, Foxtel and Wii directly to plasma via component, again with optical to the receiver (stereo RCA for Wii). I use a Harmony remote to one-button switch between activities.

Cheers,

solly

Hi,

What are the benfits of running the video thru the A/V receiver? Seems like an unnecessary diversion?

My Yammie doesn't input/output HDMI anyways, but my Beyonwiz STB & DVD are connected directly to plasma via HDMI with optical to the receiver, Foxtel and Wii directly to plasma via component, again with optical to the receiver (stereo RCA for Wii). I use a Harmony remote to one-button switch between activities.

Cheers,

solly

I was going to ask the same thing Teko. Is there a benefit to this?

Some think the AVR should upscale the image.

Others just use pass through.

In addition, I guess??, if you run both audio and video through the receiver then maybe (???) there is less chance of lip sync issues?

Some think the AVR should upscale the image.

Others just use pass through.

In addition, I guess??, if you run both audio and video through the receiver then maybe (???) there is less chance of lip sync issues?

Thanks Lyle,

I just assumed that connecting straight to the panel would be the best method picture wise. I dont have any lip sync issues but i heave read somewhere that it was happening, may not have been on the pioneer thread though.

I guess you arent talking football at the moment Lyle?

Hi there,

New owner and loving my Pioneer.

Just wanted to say thanks to all that helped me make my mind up on this excellent TV.

Was looking at buying another brand before i found this forum but so glad i didnt. I have been reading these topics on Pionner for weeks and found out some valuable info.

Thanks again all.

Edited by tigers68

Some advantages as I see it for connecting via a HDMI compatible receiver (Obviously using HDMI cable):

1- Primarily so I can listen to Bluray in DTSHD MA / Dolby True HD / uncompressed 5.1 PCM audio (Where available). Certainly adds to the viewing experience!!!!

2- Simpler control of connected devices (Bluray, DVD & Wii)

3- Less cables

I would not assume that because you run your hardware via your receiver that you are losing picture quality. My PS3 and DVD player are set to pass through video without upscaling. Lip sync has never been a problem either with this setup or my previous setup (HDMI to XDA and optical to receiver) I have tested this afternoon in response to these queries and I can see no difference in PQ.

Some advantages as I see it for connecting via a HDMI compatible receiver (Obviously using HDMI cable):

1- Primarily so I can listen to Bluray in DTSHD MA / Dolby True HD / uncompressed 5.1 PCM audio (Where available). Certainly adds to the viewing experience!!!!

2- Simpler control of connected devices (Bluray, DVD & Wii)

3- Less cables

I would not assume that because you run your hardware via your receiver that you are losing picture quality. My PS3 and DVD player are set to pass through video without upscaling. Lip sync has never been a problem either with this setup or my previous setup (HDMI to XDA and optical to receiver) I have tested this afternoon in response to these queries and I can see no difference in PQ.

Thanks for the response mate. Sounds good