Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

Classic1977,

Thank you found it on Page 33...

So i take it what you are saying is, have all 4 options (3DNR, Field NR, Block NR and Mosquito NR) turned OFF?

koaz

I find, on the LX anyway, that having all NR and DRE to off gives the best picture

I suspect that the XDA will be exactly the same.

Occasionally, i dabble with the DRE, and have found it to improve some sources, but worsened others, so i left it off to be sure.

I think if it's a good transfer blu-ray, then DRE can actually improve the picture, as it does give the illusion of more depth, but a lower quality source looks worse in my view.

Hope this helps

Bob

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic1977,

Thank you found it on Page 33...

So i take it what you are saying is, have all 4 options (3DNR, Field NR, Block NR and Mosquito NR) turned OFF?

koaz

Yep, all 4 of those options set to off.

I find, on the LX anyway, that having all NR and DRE to off gives the best picture

I suspect that the XDA will be exactly the same.

bobbyf,

sorry, but is the DRE option?

as i have not come across it on the 508XDA?

koaz

Edited by KOAZ

Yes DRE is an option on the 508XDA. I turned everything off that I could to just let the natural image come through.

Classic1977

what page in the manual is it my fellow XDA'er?

you turned all options on DRE to OFF?

koaz(the blind)

Edited by KOAZ

Funny they are called "features" when in real life most professional (if not all) calibrators will turn them off.

One other 'feature' that I don't see any point is the ability to adjust the blue LED to either low, medium, or maximum brightness.

For me I'd rather they feature the ability to adjust the text size of subtitles, and the position.

Just took delivery of my 508xda today and am loving it.

Does anyone have some settings that they reccomend?

I did look through the last few pages of the thread but im not having much luck

I have found some settings on AVS forums but not sure if I should use them as I have not done 100hrs yet.

Any help will be great :)

Just took delivery of my 508xda today and am loving it.

Does anyone have some settings that they reccomend?

I did look through the last few pages of the thread but im not having much luck

I have found some settings on AVS forums but not sure if I should use them as I have not done 100hrs yet.

Any help will be great :)

Forget any settings until you've done 200+ hrs, then get it ISF calibrated

g'day everyone,

just wondering what the fellow xda owners opinions are with regards to plugging in sat boxes dvd players etc.

is it better to plug everything straight into this tv rather then through a receiver?

or does it not really make that much of a difference.

cheers

Hey everyone, I'm taking delivery of my 508XDA in a couple of weeks but I don't want it 'installed' as such just yet because I'll be moving houses soon. Is it possible that the pioneer delivery guys just deliver the TV and leave it in the box? Also, when they come to install it, besides mounting the tv on the wall if requested, what else do they do? Would the setup not be the same as any other tv? That is, unpack, place on entertainment unit, tune channels?

g'day everyone,

just wondering what the fellow xda owners opinions are with regards to plugging in sat boxes dvd players etc.

is it better to plug everything straight into this tv rather then through a receiver?

or does it not really make that much of a difference.

cheers

Plugging each device directly to the panel enables individual calibration

Hey everyone, I'm taking delivery of my 508XDA in a couple of weeks but I don't want it 'installed' as such just yet because I'll be moving houses soon.

Is it possible that the pioneer delivery guys just deliver the TV and leave it in the box? - yes, but if they have to come back again then it's chargeable

Also, when they come to install it, besides mounting the tv on the wall if requested, what else do they do? - mount, connect all devices, setup menu, do running work through with customer

Would the setup not be the same as any other tv? That is, unpack, place on entertainment unit, tune channels? - yes, but let them run you through everything

I have a 508XDA about 6 weeks old now and well over 200hrs.

I have to say the image is ok but the shadows are often muddy. Skin tones are often in correct and shadows on faces in darker scenes look lik the person has differing coloured mud on their face which varies from red to poo brown.

I have the setting on as default from factory, nothing changed. Has anyone noticed this? most images in daylight are beautiful but as soon as dark scenes come it is mud.

Also many times I can see "Banding" you know when you have a colour with gradulations so it goes from light to dark I can see the lines that make this up, kind of like a rainbow but with the graduations in one colour.

This makes the TV a bit dissapointing for me, can someone please confirm if they have seen any or all of this and if there is a fix for it?

Cheers

Funny they are called "features" when in real life most professional (if not all) calibrators will turn them off.

One other 'feature' that I don't see any point is the ability to adjust the blue LED to either low, medium, or maximum brightness.

For me I'd rather they feature the ability to adjust the text size of subtitles, and the position.

I agree with the subtitles sizing and positioning. It would be desireable instead of having them in the middle of screen. The wiseguy who design/specify the positioning should have his pay cut :winky:

However I am not aware of any TV or STB having the ability to adjust the text size of subtitles, and the positioning.

Adjustment of blue LED or LED display is quite common in most AV components.

Regards

Cabernet

I have to say the image is ok but the shadows are often muddy. Skin tones are often in correct and shadows on faces in darker scenes look lik the person has differing coloured mud on their face which varies from red to poo brown.

I have the setting on as default from factory, nothing changed. Has anyone noticed this? most images in daylight are beautiful but as soon as dark scenes come it is mud.

Also many times I can see "Banding" you know when you have a colour with gradulations so it goes from light to dark I can see the lines that make this up, kind of like a rainbow but with the graduations in one colour.

This makes the TV a bit dissapointing for me, can someone please confirm if they have seen any or all of this and if there is a fix for it?

Cheers

Don't know what's wrong with yours, but ours is over 3 weeks old now and it is STUNNING with all sources - DTV, DVD and DTV via HD PVR

p.s. watched Ice Age 2 last night and it was awesome quality

Here's my settings - these were out of the box and not changed by the installers who suggested leaving them as is until calibration.

- Optimum / Contrast 40 / Brightness etc. all 0

Cheers

HI Marsupial,

Is it possible that you or someone else have changed something that you arent aware of?

Is it possible that you have some form of image retention? if so have you tried the using the Video Pattern to see if this corrects it?

Perhaps if you write down the details of the settings your tv is currently on and post them here for comparison. Otherwise i would be getting someone out to look at it.

I certainly dont have any of those issues and would be straight on the phone if i did.

Cheers

There must be something wrong with your setting, just play around with it, no harm in it since you haven't touched any settings at all since you got it installed. If you made it worse, you can always reset the whole setting anyway. But for me, I started the the setting from AVS forum (for FTA TV and DVD through HDMI), and then tweak it from that point.

Mine only got 50 hours or so, but with good quality source, it looks stunning.

You definetely have to play around with the setting, when mine got installed, the guy put mine under "Dynamic". :blink: And it looked so postery and unnatural, but I quickly changed it as soon as he left.

Edited by djmm

Guest Hogie

Hi all,

I've had my 508 for about one month now. I've tried the method listed previously on this forum to check the total number of hours used on the panel, but unfortunately can never get it to work properly. Can someone please describe in detail how exactly to do it.

Cheers and thank you.

Hi all,

I've had my 508 for about one month now. I've tried the method listed previously on this forum to check the total number of hours used on the panel, but unfortunately can never get it to work properly. Can someone please describe in detail how exactly to do it.

Cheers and thank you.

Hi i posted this method a few weeks ago.

Make sure you point the remote directly at the sensor.

Ensure TV is in standby mode

Press the INFO button on the remote - just a quick press , dont hold it.

Wait approx 3 seconds

Press LEFT UP LEFT RIGHT then Power On

If you do this right the TV will turn on and the information will be displayed, the screen will change quickly 3 times and that it.

scan down until you find your hours of use.

Be careful not to change anything !!!!!!!!!!

Turn tv off again when finsihed.

Thanks for that! I'll give it another go.

no worries mate. let me know how you go. just be patient and try again if it doesnt work the first time. I actually sat in frony of the right hand side of the screen and aimed the remote directly at the sensor up close.

Edited by spalmills