Ambience Ribbon Speaker

Hi, I am actually considering a speaker upgrade (main stereo pair). I am looking at a budget of around $3500. So within this bracket there is the Krix, Focal JM Lab 826V, some B&W speakers and also possbly Ambience 1400 Ultra. Now I like to know if anyone in the group has any experience with Ambience speaker and how do they feel about Ribbon speakers in general compare to conventional speakers. The first I will go this week will probably be Carlton Audio Visual since they stock both Krix and Ambience. thanks everyone.

hi jlang quite a diverse group of speakers there. keep an open mind, have a listen for your self to decide.

I think the ambience ribbons do a wonderfull job with small scale vocals, lovely delicay and detail and the way vocals hang there in betwenn. not so convinced on the integration of hte bass unit. your own impressons would be interesting once you've had a listen. a lot of people love these kind of speakers.

if at cav i your budget, check out the monitor audio gold series GS20 floorstander as with the legend floorstander also the pmc & dynaudio. all wonderfull stuff a bit of listenign will soon tell you which take yoru fancy and which dont.

For that budget and at CAV, there are a few more options to be checked out. The MA gold series, and also the PMC's would be useful comparisons, as well as the Dynaudio's (focus series?).

Make sure the guys at CAV hook up a decent power supply so that you can get an idea of what the speakers of capable of. In my experience (at CAV), the Cyrus stuff isn't very good, but the Arcam and MF gear (and others) really takes it up a notch.

Let us know what you listen to and your thoughts.

Edited by Wacko02