Official Hd Dvd Owners Thread

Official HD DVD Xbox 360 Add-On price !!!

Some Excellent news for HD DVD in Australia.

It was officially announced today that the HD DVD Xbox 360 add on will go on sale next year for............$249. !!!! :blink::D:P excellent news. And it also comes here with King Kong HD DVD. no mention of the remote, but got one with my prem pack anyway

Will definitely get one of these for a second player at that price :P

For further info see -

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/news/australia...ls-revealed.htm

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no mention of the remote, but got one with my prem pack anyway

great price, very surprised.

the remote that is bundled with the US version at the moment is different to the one that came with the premium back.

the one that comes with the HD DVD is this one

Andrew.

Yes i noticed that. The only difference is the numer buttons on the bottom (#1-9, 0) and the 3 above it otherwise it's identical to the one i have.

Good news either way. Would be nice to know the release date, but i would suspect it would be end fed/early march to take on PS3 and not to take too much away from the HD-E1/XE1 which have been delayed to Jan.

Yes i noticed that. The only difference is the numer buttons on the bottom (#1-9, 0) and the 3 above it otherwise it's identical to the one i have.

Good news either way. Would be nice to know the release date, but i would suspect it would be end fed/early march to take on PS3 and not to take too much away from the HD-E1/XE1 which have been delayed to Jan.

there are a few more differences than that ... the new one is backlit, has volumes controls and some other differences.

there is a fair chance it will be in the Aussie box anyway, and if not most people have programmable remotes.

nah US$817 is only just over AU$800 ... not even close to $1000 :blink:

Not trying to be an alarmist here but just remember guys that customs has the ability to retrospectively apply duites and taxes if you import a number of items close together. By that I mean that if you had one package that came to A$800 and another package that came to A$250 and they went through customs within a few days of each other customs can add the total of the packages together and then tax them as one item for the whole amount not just the amount that is above the $1000 threshold.

I suppose at that price, you wouldn't worry about warranties... thats the big thing that puts me off large electronic purchases from the US.. is warranty.. and the cost of sending it back..

How much does customs charge on goods like that?

I have never been charged lately for the books and CDs I have imported .. but about 20 years ago I was charged an import duty on Lps purchased from the UK and Germany (paid when I picked up the parcel at the post office)..

I suppose at that price, you wouldn't worry about warranties... thats the big thing that puts me off large electronic purchases from the US.. is warranty.. and the cost of sending it back..

How much does customs charge on goods like that?

I have never been charged lately for the books and CDs I have imported .. but about 20 years ago I was charged an import duty on Lps purchased from the UK and Germany (paid when I picked up the parcel at the post office)..

Skid there are no charges on imported goods so long as you stay under the A$1000 threshold.

I paid for a 4 year worldwide warranty on my HD-DVD which covers parts and labour at authorised Toshiba service centres.

Not wishing to rain on your parade Andrew, but $817 is $1089AUS at todays exchange rate of .75

Andrew made a typo what he meant to say was US$617 equated to A$805. I was also confused for a minute till I looked back at the receipt Andrew wastalking about.

Mate, I'm far more scared of Mrs ajm's reaction than anything ACA or TT could whip up! Besides, the baby bonus is as good as allocated to "debt reduction" and, believe me, $800 missing will not go unnoticed! :blink:

So yeah I'm torn, wracked with guilt at spending money in that magnitude with billy lids on the way and the knowledge that this is a fairly major deal that I'd be missing out on!

Never mind me ... I'll sit and stew (while I should be working!:D)

Do what I do, sell some stuff on Ebay to fund the purchase!

I'm not stupid - I did my homework!

Some Excellent news for HD DVD in Australia.

It was officially announced today that the HD DVD Xbox 360 add on will go on sale next year for............$249. !!!! :D:P :P excellent news. And it also comes here with King Kong HD DVD. no mention of the remote, but got one with my prem pack anyway

Will definitely get one of these for a second player at that price :P

For further info see -

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/news/australia...ls-revealed.htm

Cool - Early next year I will have two HD DVD players in the house!! :blink:

Well as I said this morning, my order at deepdiscountdvd had been cancelled so I re-ordered. Having just got home to check my private email (damn corporate firewalls) I have received an order confirmation. Last time I only received the email from credit verification so this time things are going differently. Hopefully this means that the order will go through to completion this time.

I guess I won't know until my card is actually charged.

Fingers crossed.

Skid there are no charges on imported goods so long as you stay under the A$1000 threshold.

I paid for a 4 year worldwide warranty on my HD-DVD which covers parts and labour at authorised Toshiba service centres.

Andrew made a typo what he meant to say was US$617 equated to A$805. I was also confused for a minute till I looked back at the receipt Andrew wastalking about.

I actaully went a bit over the $1k limit with the discs included etc still didnt get pinged for duty ! :blink:

Do what I do, sell some stuff on Ebay to fund the purchase!

Will be doing just that starting with a whole bunch of (dust covered) vinyl LP's and singles then moving through the (not so dusty but still somewhat dusty) collection of PC parts, peripherials and oddities. The thought of all the trips to the Post Office worries me the most.

Well it looks like the first gen players have dried up on eBay, at least for now. :blink:

I think perhaps with the recent announced delays of the HD-A2 many in the US decided to snap up a HD-A1/XA1 on run out so that would be guaranteed a player before Xmas.

So your best bet now seems DDD for the time being unless you can coax one of the merchants at AVS to sell you one, if they have any left that is.

Will be doing just that starting with a whole bunch of (dust covered) vinyl LP's and singles then moving through the (not so dusty but still somewhat dusty) collection of PC parts, peripherials and oddities. The thought of all the trips to the Post Office worries me the most.

Before you put that vinyl up on EBay, post a list here of 'em here!

Before you put that vinyl up on EBay, post a list here of 'em here!

:blink: mmmm yeah I 'spose I could but it'd be kinda embarassing to admit I used to listen to some of this stuff. I'll have a look through the box tonight and perhaps post some highlights for you in the General Off Topic area. (so as not to offend Trigg :D)

:blink: mmmm yeah I 'spose I could but it'd be kinda embarassing to admit I used to listen to some of this stuff. I'll have a look through the box tonight and perhaps post some highlights for you in the General Off Topic area. (so as not to offend Trigg :P)

If your embarrassed about that Perry Como stuff, feel free to PM me! :D

If your embarrassed about that Perry Como stuff, feel free to PM me! :blink:

Nah, more like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC (a few) Motley Crue etc etc .... and this is so far OT now it's getting silly. Apologies to all.

To drag this back on topic a little - suppose someone was to buy an HD DVD player today what are the "must have" discs for this format?

Personally I'd be very reluctant to rebuy something I already have on DVD so It'd have to be a massive improvement in PQ/SQ for me to consider so I suppose nothings ruled out completely but brand new releases would be on my list.

So what are the "demo/show-off" disks?

Thanks Andrew, that's exactly what I was looking for.

BTW can anyone who ordered from DDD tell me how they managed to get their address (incl State) and telephone number into the Account Info section?

Not for any reason mind you... It seems I've (inadvertantly honey, honest!) signed up and ordered a player and a few movies but there's a reasonable chance I've c0cked up the account details.

BTW can anyone who ordered from DDD tell me how they managed to get their address (incl State) and telephone number into the Account Info section?

I put the state after the city.

and the phone number fits if you leave off the international prefix, ie 02 3456 7890 will fit, but it will be formatted weirdly.

Not for any reason mind you... It seems I've (inadvertantly honey, honest!) signed up and ordered a player and a few movies but there's a reasonable chance I've c0cked up the account details.

I'm calling TT and ACA :blink:

Andrew.

No child (twins) shall live in poverty from 2007!

:blink: