Denon 103 Owners & Discussion Thread

While doing some research on a new Denon AV amp over the last week or so, I came across Denon's 110th Anniversary DL- A110, which was a surprise to me, as I hadn't heard about it previously.

https://www.denon.com/en-au/shop/turntable/dla110

The spec's given are basically none existent on the website.

But looking at the photos, what I think it's all about is they have modified the DL103 body slightly, and created a new headshell to cut down on body resonances .

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Guy's, Just thought I would show you what I a developing for the 103 range including the D & S.

An Enhancer Cap that braces & removes resonances from the plastic body, adding 7.5 grams of weight to the assembly, therefore allowing the 103/R etc to be used more effectively with the Technics 1200 arm / Rega & Jelco. When used with the 103D & S, they can also be with the lighter 3009 & Moech & Hadcock arms. Lastly is can also help with correct stylus alignment should you not have sufficient movement in your Head-Shell. It also allows with a simple mod the use of the stylus guard, (see photo 5)

Cartridge is clamped to the 103 plastic body using 4 x M3 stainless Steel grub screws.

Cheers Derek

0815221756 (1).jpg

0815221022a_HDR.jpg

0815221220.jpg

0816221738a.jpg

0815221217b_HDR.jpg

Edited by TemaadAudio

• 9 months later...

Old thread but some new photos to share. VE member @perejvind(VE) sent me his 103 which had known 500 hours of wear. I photographed both contacts, and also did a "glamor shot" of the stylus and cantilever. You can see the contact photos at link below, and I've attached the glamor shot to this post. Enjoy!

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=92996&start=984

DL1032.JPG

• Like 2

I have a Denon 103R with 'the cap' aluminium on it , with a titanium headshell HS-5S on a Acos-Koshin GST 801 tonearm, which i am keen on using,...the removable headshell allows me to use it on an SAEC-WE308SX tonearm in another location...what is the optimal tracking force for this cartridge?...i aim to keep it as low as possible to preserve LP's in an undamaged state...ie around 2gm...is this feasable for optimum sound and preservatiion of vinyl??

On 14/06/2023 at 12:08 PM, Astrosound said:

ESC - where are they? How much they chrge for retipping Denon DL103?

Soundsmith is in US right? I guess on the way back you pay GST? How much they charge, any info please?

Send them an email and ask.  No websites for these guys .

Expert Stylus Repair (Wyndham Hodgson) are UK based and offer complete rebuilds. Contrary to what I’ve read the lead times aren’t too lengthy, I don’t think I’ve waited more than 45-60 days from mailing my cart to the UK and having it back in the US of A. These are the guys to send your Linn Troika to, classic Supex (Koetsu) and literally anything other cart retippers/rebuilders won’t touch. No web presence, email only: info@expertstylus.co.uk

Hi. I'm considering the 103 and 103r for my rega p3 2000 with rb300 tone arm. The phono stage I have is an old Musical Fidelity X-LP which can use moving coil cartridges. Any thoughts on this setup? Currently using a super Elys or elyse but can't recall. Grey coloured shell.

XLP specs here

https://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/manuals/English/xlp.pdf

I’ve had a DL103 on RB300 before. Didn’t sound that great, quite closed in and lacked bass, however I think that’s because the Rega arm mass is a bit low for the relatively low compliance cart.  This isn’t unique to the Rega arm either. With a Micro Seiki arm I needed to add a 5g lead weight to the headshell and after that, it sounded much better, sort of came alive an opened up.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, legselevens said:

Hi. I'm considering the 103 and 103r for my rega p3 2000 with rb300 tone arm. The phono stage I have is an old Musical Fidelity X-LP which can use moving coil cartridges. Any thoughts on this setup? Currently using a super Elys or elyse but can't recall. Grey coloured shell.

XLP specs here

https://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/manuals/English/xlp.pdf

Maybe the 103r, definitely not the 103. Rega arms just don’t have enough mass to control most mc carts

Hi Marcus. I've read the 103 is okay with 100ohms whereas the 103r prefers it quite a bit higher. My phono amp goes to 100. A shame as I can buy a 103r for the same price. Many conflicting opinions on the tonearm suitability so I guess I'll try it and add mass if needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, legselevens said:

Hi Marcus. I've read the 103 is okay with 100ohms whereas the 103r prefers it quite a bit higher. My phono amp goes to 100. A shame as I can buy a 103r for the same price. Many conflicting opinions on the tonearm suitability so I guess I'll try it and add mass if needed.

Interesting, I run my 103 a fair bit higher than that ( around 500).

I just don’t think the 103 is a good cart for your arm. If you want an MC I would suggest a Hana which would be a better compliance match for your arm and very happy at 100 ohms

I know these videos might be more harm than good but the Hana EH sounds pretty good in this video. The LP gear isn't bad either.

A friend has a brand new Benz micro mc gold but not sure what version it is or the price. Any idea?

On 24/6/2023 at 4:36 PM, marcusD said:

Interesting, I run my 103 a fair bit higher than that ( around 500).

I just changed my loading from 100R to 330R. Does make quite an improvement. Sounds more open with clearer mids especially vocals and piano. Was a good no cost upgrade. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, legselevens said:

What types of music do the 103 and 103r not play well with?

They are carts designed for broadcast so I find them to focus more on the midrange and way less on the frequency extremes.

I have tried my 103 on most genres and it does a great job, but when I back to back it against better carts I can hear it’s limitations 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, legselevens said:

I'm at the point where I can't decide between the 103r and the Nagaoka mp-150. MP-150 may be a better match for my system and I can upgrade the stylus easily in future. The 103r appeals as I enjoy a full sound and leanness in tone really turns me off. I used to have a Leak stereo 20 and that was one of my favourite amps ever. Always easy and enjoyable to listen to even with modern music (mostly). I would love to get a bit of that colour in my system but then the Musical Fidelity A5 I had as well was a very enjoyable albeit very different sound.

What puts me off the mp-150 is will it be tonally lean? What puts me off the 103r is will it be too much of a one trick pony in regards to music genres it works with? And the possible compromises with compatibility in my system and further spending to rectify.

Get the Nag, your arm is a compliance mismatch for even the 103R which means you will get a peaky sounding end result, Compliance of cart and arm are immovable cast iron rules that dont bend by pure desire. 

I think you're correct yet I can't get the denon out of my head as there are so many positive reviews of this set up. I could always sell the denon if it didn't work whereas shifting the Nagaoka might be harder to sell.

Edited by legselevens