Toshiba - 72" 1080p DLP RPTV - Details and Price

Guest BFletch
Thats a lot of contrast & brightness and this is what DVE recommended? Mine is set only by eye and I have:

Contrast : 50

Brightness : 52

Colour : 38

Tint : 0

Sharpness : 0

Colour Temp : Normal

Black Stretch : on

Now I think I would prefer Black Stretch to be off (with brightness at 50) as there is definately more detail in dark areas e.g. jackets and dark hair but my wife likes it on.......hmm might change it back and see if she notices.

I am still going to get the DVE DVD though to check alignment with that.

For contrast via DVE you just need to bring it down enough to not notice any blooming between the white and grey panels. In reality I couldn't see any blooming above 85, but it didn't feel right to have such high contrast :blink: I pumped up the brightness to see the black details, so you you get the benefit of seeing the detail in shadows - and also the extra rich blacks with black stretch on. Funny - my Wife also wanted black stretch on because it seemed "brighter" :D

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it would be great to access HD channels via satelite. I suspect the government will block that in order to protect the monopoly of the local stations though .. I just saw a post in a seperate thread suggesting Foxtel will be launching HD channels next year in 720p. Its not 1080i, but its a step in the right direction ..

Sorry, but why is the government inclined to block HD satellite, they have no power to do so whatsoever? If Foxtel had their bandwidth and compression schemes sorted out, they could start doing it tomorrow. A pay sat rival would be equally placed to do so.

On the castel website it says:

"The 72CM9UA is further enhanced by the new xHD4 Digital Micromirror Device (DMD) which is able to reproduce 1080p resolution for crystal clear images."

But it says;

"HDMI Input - 480i/480p (60Hz), 576i/576p(50Hz), 1080i (50/60Hz) / 720p (50Hz)"

So if you can't feed it 1080p how can it produce 1080p??

Its probably a dumb question but I'm just a little confused

Correctly deinterlacing 1080i can produce real 1080p, provided the original source was progressive (film).

1080p up to 30fps can be carried over a 1080i interface perfectly.

If you want to get 1080p 60fps into the TV for games, you are out of luck.

Thats a lot of contrast & brightness and this is what DVE recommended? Mine is set only by eye and I have:

Contrast : 50

Brightness : 52

Colour : 38

Tint : 0

Sharpness : 0

Colour Temp : Normal

Black Stretch : on

Now I think I would prefer Black Stretch to be off (with brightness at 50) as there is definately more detail in dark areas e.g. jackets and dark hair but my wife likes it on.......hmm might change it back and see if she notices.

I am still going to get the DVE DVD though to check alignment with that.

hey first just wanted to say i went with the Toshiba 62cmu9 (62inch) and its awesome....only regret is impluse buying looking at the price i might have been able to get it cheaper if i shopped more.....o wellz not much difference but atleast i can enjoy world cp on the big screen.....just hope WC on SD TV isnt too bad....

What can i say its an awesome set and price is pretty good for what you get.....one thing i suggest is that even though the 72inch is bigger by a whole 10 inches and only cost 800 or so more...if ur lounge isnt big enough dont buy it cause viewing these things from any closer than the optimum, for me 4.5-5m, doesnt do it justice......i havent seen it with any other box than the hdd j35 from toshiba but with the pictures im getting i would recommend it....hrmz...what else to say....Oh the stand doesnt fit my AMP and im guessing you guys are home thearther junkies so you would have amps there is a way though and its very simply...just move the glass shelf up a tad but re drilling the side holders up a little and taking out the rear holders and replacing them with glass holders (little rubber things that bolt to the back bit) being glass and with its minimal support dont put anything other than the STB and DVD player on the glass shelf....

i got mine from a place up in Preston very good customer service get in early enough in the morning for same day delivery or expect it the next day.....they come down and set it up and teach you how to use it....so even for beginners you have nothing to worry about....

Also the TV is considerably light for its size, just thought ill tell you guys incase you needed to know.. =)

anyway my setting

Contrast: 69

Brightness: 48

colour: 40

tint: 0

sharpness: 0

colout temp: cool (i think)

Black stretch: on

IMO depending on your rooms conditions i think anything around what i and other have as there setting got is good....and like many have said low lamp level for the brightness is more then sufficient so keep it down...

one thing i gotta ask, i accidently came across the 'how to read you lamp life' key step thing but i cant find it anymore...any able to link it to me if its not too much trouble

as big kev says 'I'M EXCITED'

cheers

quang

Correctly deinterlacing 1080i can produce real 1080p, provided the original source was progressive (film).

1080p up to 30fps can be carried over a 1080i interface perfectly.

If you want to get 1080p 60fps into the TV for games, you are out of luck.

So if I was connecting it up to my computer it would have to be run at 1080i correct??

Owen,

From a HTPC perspective, how much better will 1080p inputs be, than 1080i inputs?

I'm so close to getting the Tosh but im tempted to wait for true 1080p.

cheers

As long as the display can deinterlace properly, there should be no difference between 1080i and 1080p input, for normal desktop and video playback use.

How well this works is very dependant on the display, so try before you buy, or get a right of return if you are not satisfied.

I'm trying to buy the 72" in Vic for $6000 including stand. Several people have mentioned it but, apart from Sunnybank (in Qld I think) nobody seems to mention where it can actually be obtained for this price.

Can someone please help. Thanks.

Pietro, I thought I did in my previous posts, I got the 6k quote from Knox Harvey Norman, the guy Daniel also said they had them in stock.

He could not do the 62 for 4800, so I am still looking , not in a hurry.

Sorry, but why is the government inclined to block HD satellite, they have no power to do so whatsoever? If Foxtel had their bandwidth and compression schemes sorted out, they could start doing it tomorrow. A pay sat rival would be equally placed to do so.

These are all good questions. I can't recall the technical / legal detail, but from memory, the government can prohibit the sale of devices from within Australia that allow receiving of satelite broadcasts. If anybody was allows to broadcast into Australia, there wouldn't be so much fuss about media ownership laws etc. The media companies would simply buy satelite space and broadcast from there.

I know there are 'underground' ways to achieve this, but you won't be going to your local Harvey Norman any time soon for a HD Satelite box and subscription.

Hope that helps.

So if I was connecting it up to my computer it would have to be run at 1080i correct??

Hosko. I have a HTPC which I output 1080i via DVI with a converter to HDMI. The picture quality is really really good. You can really see the quality of 1920x1080 resolution when watching qood quality 1080i digital TV (Channel 9 is the best IMO) or watching HD content like Windows Media HD (you can download demos from microsoft).

It would be nice if the TV processed 1080p sure, but I'm more than satisfied with 1080i inputs. I am assuming that when the PC is outputing 1080i, that the deinterlacing will convert it without loss to 1080p 30fps. I don't know, but I am assuming here.

Anyway, for me, moving to 1080p would me a minor upgrade. The picture quality is so good, its going to be hard to beat it. I have now had months of viewing pleasure. I agree with an earlier poster. Star Wars never looked so good !!

It looks as if I am going to buy the 72". Now I'm doing a Big Kev.

I'd like to find out what upscaling DVD players owners are using with this set, and their impressions.

And also......HDMI (which I haven't used before) Is there any known difference between cables........and are any especially recommended? I see plenty on ebay.

I'd like to find out what upscaling DVD players owners are using with this set, and their impressions.

And also......HDMI (which I haven't used before) Is there any known difference between cables........and are any especially recommended? I see plenty on ebay.

Pietro

Was going to buy the Marantz DV6600 due to competative cost and good reviews, see this thread http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=33022 to go with my 62" but ended up going for the Denon 2910.

Absolutely no regrets simply awesome PQ, as for HDMI $69.95 for 2m length cheapest the shop had where I bought the 2910 and no problems to date. :blink:

Rgs

Chris

Thanks Riv...I think I might go for the Marantz. It's a brand I've always been happy with and the Denon is outside my price range.

pietro

No worries, i'm sure it will be excellent from what I've read and certainly better than the Denon 1920 its sister DVD player.

You should also get a decent HD STB unless you plan to go the HTPC route, I settled on the Toshi HD-C26H, again no regrets here.

Cheers

Chris

HDMI and DVI are digital standards, so my personal view is that there is little benefit in paying up for super high quality cables. I would be happy to buy HDMI cables from eBay where the seller has a good rating and have received good ratings on the cables that you are intending on buying. If you are only after a short cable, then I thing the importance for super high quality is even less. I bought a 20m HDMI cable off ebay and it was completely fine. No problems at all.

Looks like you are sorted on your DVD player. As you know, I strongly recommended looking at a HTPC with this unit.

Good luck, if you need anything, let us know.

Hey folks,

I have been following the DLP/LCD/LCoS debate quite closely and I believe that something quite fundamental is being missed in this thread...

LCoS was developed to eliminate the rainbow effect that plagues DLPs (all DLPs suffer from rainbow) and the annoying screen door effect on LCDs.

Yes, LCoS does NOT have sensational black levels but offers superior colour and brightness to DLPs (and you don't need to worry about rainbow effect...)

P.S

....love the way everybody defends the technology they bought! :blink:

Hey folks,

I have been following the DLP/LCD/LCoS debate quite closely and I believe that something quite fundamental is being missed in this thread...

LCoS was developed to eliminate the rainbow effect that plagues DLPs (all DLPs suffer from rainbow) and the annoying screen door effect on LCDs.

Yes, LCoS does NOT have sensational black levels but offers superior colour and brightness to DLPs (and you don't need to worry about rainbow effect...)

P.S

Most people don't see the rainbow effect. Those that do buy something else.

Hey folks,

P.S

Yeah well thats why it comes down to a personal preference rather than saying "this particular one is the best."

Often you see DLP held out as the superior "Home Theatre" type set, as its lower brightness levels are not so much of its concern, so it then more becomes a choice between Blacks and Colour vibrancy, and which youd prefer to be better.

Persoally i'd prefer to have richer colours, and a picture with more ...well... "pop" if that makes sense. Having had the MW60 (an LCD rearpro) for so long...the lack of shadow detail and brown blacks is annoying, but ive become so accustomed to is style of display (ie the colours, brightness levels etc) id be more inclined to not worry so much about the blacks. Better colours, and a cleaner image with no pixellation is the most important to me. Blacks come second.

That said, i did find this Toshi 72" to be one of the better sets on display in that size bracket at the moment.

Id like to have a few hours with both the Toshi and the LCoS sets to try and set them both up properly to see which appealed to me most though.