Benq pe 8720 Price Drop!

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOH! :D

As suspected, there's a bit of wait on the Elektra... will all you guys stop buying them, Arthur is having trouble keeping up!! :P I should have everything, including the 8720 at my place at the beginning of next week. :blink:

Mate you have had it easy on your Elektra wait if you're getting it next week

There is always a wait for Arthurs good gear. I was told a 6 weeks wait, even a year ago before the hype here was in full swing (Alebonau and spearmint pre-dated mine)

Arthur is concentrating on my Elektra pre so you can wait a little hehehe :P

Arthur is concentrating on my Elektra pre so you can wait a little hehehe :P

:D I'm borderline Generation X... must have it now instant gratification :P

Thanks Zorg... I think I've memorised that entire thread whilst I've been coveting the 8720 for the last 6 months. :blink::P

enjoy Foggy we are all insanely jealous.... what dvd player are you planning to run with it?

Thanks Zorg. I'll probably pick up an Oppo 970H and use its 576i HDMI output to feed the VP30.

I really believe that the 8720 at its new price point is the best value projector on the market at the moment. Our pricing is now better than US pricing, even after exchange rate conversion.

I really believe that the 8720 at its new price point is the best value projector on the market at the moment.

I think the z4 and ae900 fan boys might take issue with that statement. I know I'm not quite so sure, especially seeing the ae900 now comes with a free globe and can be had at half the price of the 8720.

Thanks Zorg. I'll probably pick up an Oppo 970H and use its 576i HDMI output to feed the VP30.

I really believe that the 8720 at its new price point is the best value projector on the market at the moment. Our pricing is now better than US pricing, even after exchange rate conversion.

Yes, it is cheaper here than states but I am going to go for the new 1080P models such as Optoma HD81 at the end of this year which means I can offload the DVDO VP30. The US prince for 8720 is just under $4000 including shipping and duty take it well over $6000 .

I think the z4 and ae900 fan boys might take issue with that statement. I know I'm not quite so sure, especially seeing the ae900 now comes with a free globe and can be had at half the price of the 8720.

It's always subjective isn't it, and of course it's budgetary too. I suppose it depends on the value you put on the following:

Advantages of the 8720 over the 720P LCD projectors:

- DLP Darkchip 3 (better blacks, more depth, more "film like") ...better PQ

- Brighter

- motorised lens shift

- motorised zoom

- motorised focus

- motorized IRIS adjustment

- long throw (better for 2.35:1 CH)

- DLP panels last about twice as long as LCD panels

- Better quality Optics

- Reliability & Build quality

- Faroudja DCDi processing

- PIP

Advantages of 720P LCD's over the 8720

- Price

- more flexibility in zoom & lens shift

- definitely no RBE

I know these are general comparisons off the top of my head, and there will of course be exceptions as each of the 720p LCDs is slightly different, but I thought I'd just outline my thinking.... especially since I was on the verge of buying a Sanyo Z4 until I heard about the latest 8720 price drop.

I acknowldege that the extra features aren't essential to everyone, but they were important to me in my setup. I suppose the owners of $1300 DLP projectors could have a similar argument with the $2500 LCD projector owners :blink:

In the end, my statement was probably based on the price of the 8720 compared to its equivalent DLP Darkchip3 competitors... in that regard, there is definitely no contest.... at the moment.

Enjoy it Foggy and ignore all the other crap, they are just jealous.. I'd rather wait, then compromise..... No question price vs performance the Benq 8720 is the best around at the moment... Who knows when the HD81 will get here and at what price? I think even on AVS they agree with the value equation.

Enjoy it Foggy and ignore all the other crap, they are just jealous.. I'd rather wait, then compromise..... No question price vs performance the Benq 8720 is the best around at the moment... Who knows when the HD81 will get here and at what price? I think even on AVS they agree with the value equation.

I don't think anyone's jealous zorg, I just wanted to outline my thinking towards my sweeping statement. The meaning of value is different to everyone.... and there are many who would also not consider spending close to $5k on a projector.

Of course the value proposition will be different in 6 to 12 months time when 1080p projectors hit the market... perhaps then we'd be able to pick up the 8720 for $2.5k.... now that would be very nice :blink:

Hmm. IMO the rest of your setup deserves better. If you want to feed the VP30 a 576i digital signal perhaps you should consider the Pioneer 969 (still available for around $900 when I looked in JBHiFi back in mid May) or if you can't find that then the new model (989). Also remeber that deinterlacing film material isn't all that difficult so you won't lose out on much even if you feed the VP30 576P via HDMI from something like a Mrantz DV-6600. The Oppo came to prominence because of it's excellent deinterlacing of NTSC material while outputting DVI without HDCP. Neither of these are functions that you need.

You should also look at getting the new ABT 102 Precision deinterlacer for your VP30. That would improve the PQ of SD-TV considerably.

Thanks Preacher, I already have a Pioneer 969 connected to my plasma, so I can always use that if necessary. I also have the ABT-102 card for the VP30, but I haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Phil (JPP) and I did some A/B testing using PAL DVE a while back and the Oppo actually produced more detail in dark scenes than the 969. The Pioneer was only better because it didn't suffer from the macroblocking courtesy of the Oppo 971H's Faroudja processing, other than that, we found the Oppo to be generally as good or better in terms of PQ.... it was a bit of a shock to me, but I'm not in denial about it. :blink:

Anyway, I've now ordered the Oppo DV-970HD and it's on its way, so I'll probably do another A/B comparison and decide which one to use on the projector with the VP30.... the loser can service the plasma as it will only really be used to play Shrek, Nemo, Scooby Doo etc. :D

Thanks Preacher, I already have a Pioneer 969 connected to my plasma, so I can always use that if necessary. I also have the ABT-102 card for the VP30, but I haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Phil (JPP) and I did some A/B testing using PAL DVE a while back and the Oppo actually produced more detail in dark scenes than the 969. The Pioneer was only better because it didn't suffer from the macroblocking courtesy of the Oppo 971H's Faroudja processing, other than that, we found the Oppo to be generally as good or better in terms of PQ.... it was a bit of a shock to me, but I'm not in denial about it. :blink:

Anyway, I've now ordered the Oppo DV-970HD and it's on its way, so I'll probably do another A/B comparison and decide which one to use on the projector with the VP30.... the loser can service the plasma as it will only really be used to play Shrek, Nemo, Scooby Doo etc. :D

I am actually surprised to hear you don't have time to install ABT-102, it takes less than 10 minutes to load the new firmware and less than 5 minutes to install the card into vp30.

I am actually surprised to hear you don't have time to install ABT-102, it takes less than 10 minutes to load the new firmware and less than 5 minutes to install the card into vp30.

... and about an hour to unplug and re-connect everything!

... then another couple of hours to run some tests to see how well it performs

You know what it's like, when you get at the back of the cabinet you just can't stop at fiddling with just one device :blink:

:D

Game. Set. Match, Foggy.

Bloody hell, who'd have thought you'd already tried both! :P

Personally I'd still go with the Pioneer on the 8720 as macroblocking is one of my pet hates. That and the fact that it's a digital projector and won't be able to do the shadow detail in dark scenes anyway... :P

Personally I'd still go with the Pioneer on the 8720 as macroblocking is one of my pet hates.

ahh, but that's the beauty of the new 970HD, it doesn't use Faroudja DCDi... so no macroblocking :P

That and the fact that it's a digital projector and won't be able to do the shadow detail in dark scenes anyway... :P

Someone bagging digital, when they don't even have electricity in their home... now I've seen it all :P:blink:

Oh, and the best part about the 8720 is that it's nearly as big as a CRT pj. All I'd have to do is put a microphone on the fan and turn up the heat on the aircon, then sit back and pretend it's a 1272 :P:D

ahh, but that's the beauty of the new 970HD, it doesn't use Faroudja DCDi... so no macroblocking :P

Interesting. So what does it use? It will be interesting to see whether or not it retains its excellent deinterlacing ability.

Someone bagging digital, when they don't even have electricity in their home... now I've seen it all :P:blink:

That's why I have a laptop. I charge it up one the rare occasions when we have power. That and the fact that the company I work for owns the local power station and mines the coal that feeds it helps a bit too. :P

Oh, and the best part about the 8720 is that it's nearly as big as a CRT pj. All I'd have to do is put a microphone on the fan and turn up the heat on the aircon, then sit back and pretend it's a 1272 :P:D

You'll also need to fit a ND filter to cut the lumens in half... :P

Interesting. So what does it use? It will be interesting to see whether or not it retains its excellent deinterlacing ability.

LOL Preacher, it's good to see you roughing it so much, but still having a laugh :blink:

The Oppo 970HD uses the Mediatek de-interlacer and video processor, so it not as good as the older 971H with DCDi, but at least it doesn't suffer from macroblocking.

I will really be using it as a DVD Transport for 576i output via HDMI. I will not be using its de-interlacing or video processing. The 971H is still the better choice for those that don't have a VP30.

EDIT: I posted elsewhere that Kris Deering has now reviewed the 970HD on the Secrets of Home Theater & Hifi site.

Edited by Foghorn17

will do thanks for the heads up Foggy... Is yours ready to rock?

Should be here mid-week. The Elektra amp has been holding up the order, and whilst I could have split the delivery, I just thought it'd be easier to get it all in one hit.

EDIT: Just heard from Samhain... the Elektra has arrived! :blink::D

Edited by Foghorn17