Benq pe 8720 Price Drop!

Hello fellow memebers

With the CES happening in the USA. Benq had no new dlp product to show. They have announced a 1080p projector late this year and $$$#??

However the orgional msrp was 9999.00 now 5000.00. We will see a similar price drop here.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so, mmmmm......... who in melb sells them?

I dont see why not. For two reasons:

1. Justify the price point for the 1080p version

2. Pricing policy same in USA and here 9999.00(usa) 9999.00(aust.)

I think benq would like to sell their 1080p version for the estimated price of 18000.00 But with optoma msrp at 9999.00 (1080p, 6000:1 cr and 1400lumens) is pretty tough oposition!

Ben

I dont see why not. For two reasons:

1. Justify the price point for the 1080p version

2. Pricing policy same in USA and here 9999.00(usa) 9999.00(aust.)

I think benq would like to sell their 1080p version for the estimated price of 18000.00 But with optoma msrp at 9999.00 (1080p, 6000:1 cr and 1400lumens) is pretty tough oposition!

Ben

heh if this drops to $5000au here, I would upgrade quicksmart from my 7700. I think it will probably drop to ~$6500rrp here though. There is very little competition to the 8720 in the Australian market at its current price point so less incentive for Benq to reduce prices.

heh if this drops to $5000au here, I would upgrade quicksmart from my 7700. I think it will probably drop to ~$6500rrp here though. There is very little competition to the 8720 in the Australian market at its current price point so less incentive for Benq to reduce prices.

BenQ is quite agtressive with their pricing on the AU market.

Given the RRP is the same for the 8720 here as it is in USD there, I would actually be inclined to think that the reduction in price in the USA, brings it closer to the actual converted price here.... so really, they are only slightly discounting relative to the AUD price.

With this is mind, and the fact that the AU market is small / growing / new, I think it more realistic to figure a max discount to RRP $8000 (if any) and the new 1080p model coming in around 15k odd.

I am not necessarily expecintg a price drop at all at this point...

Just my 2c.

BenQ is quite agtressive with their pricing on the AU market.

Given the RRP is the same for the 8720 here as it is in USD there, I would actually be inclined to think that the reduction in price in the USA, brings it closer to the actual converted price here.... so really, they are only slightly discounting relative to the AUD price.

With this is mind, and the fact that the AU market is small / growing / new, I think it more realistic to figure a max discount to RRP $8000 (if any) and the new 1080p model coming in around 15k odd.

I am not necessarily expecintg a price drop at all at this point...

Just my 2c.

Have you sold many 8720's at the current price Samhain?

Have you sold many 8720's at the current price Samhain?

Well I can tell you that if the RRP dropped to AU$8k and the street price dropped accordingly, I will definitely be going with the 8720 as my first PJ. :blink:

So what's the new street price for this unit? Anywhere I can demo one in Perth?

Hey Mate

Where abouts in Perth are you?

I might have one shortly using it for a constant height set up. I have taken it home a few months ago for evaluation. The MSRP may drop. I have had discussions with relevant persons.

Working demo on the floor at West Coast HI FI Rockingham. Ask for a guy called Rory (spelling??) Let him know about the forum and thread.

Ben

benthxmr@iprimus.com.au

Could this be the reason why Benq have decided to drop their price?

Wow, nice find Foggy... I just became aware of this through official channels yesterday! :-)

If it is even a slight improvement on the DPX530 and is quieter, under 8k ?? It'll be hard to beat! :-)

Nice... very nice :-)

Hey Mate

Where abouts in Perth are you?

I might have one shortly using it for a constant height set up. I have taken it home a few months ago for evaluation. The MSRP may drop. I have had discussions with relevant persons.

Working demo on the floor at West Coast HI FI Rockingham. Ask for a guy called Rory (spelling??) Let him know about the forum and thread.

Ben

benthxmr@iprimus.com.au

Thanks for that. I will check to see if they still have it next time I'm out that way. I'm curious about this projector.

Wow, nice find Foggy... I just became aware of this through official channels yesterday! :-)

If it is even a slight improvement on the DPX530 and is quieter, under 8k ?? It'll be hard to beat! :-)

Nice... very nice :-)

samhain ? curious where the improvement is,

res is up but lumens down & still using dc2

one would have expected dc3 with brilliantcolour

or have I missed something [that wouldn't be unusual]

and 8k vs 5k

and 8k vs 5k

I have been told that Benq WILL be dropping their price on the pe8720.

I have been informed that the new MSRP will come into play Monday 15 Jan 2006.

This is good!

This is good!

WOW... that's tomorrow!

I find it hard to believe that samhain wouldn't know about this yet, given the exclusitivity of the dealers chosen for these projectors.

Still, if it does eventuate, and the RRP drops in accordance with the US, then you can get the order book ready samhain.... because this will be by far the most awesome projector in that price range. :blink::P:P:P:D:P:P

This is good!

So anyone know if this price drop eventuated? Samhain? :blink:

EDIT: I just realised that today is the 15th, and tomorrow is the 16th. :P

Edited by djos

WOW... that's tomorrow!

I find it hard to believe that samhain wouldn't know about this yet, given the exclusitivity of the dealers chosen for these projectors.

Still, if it does eventuate, and the RRP drops in accordance with the US, then you can get the order book ready samhain.... because this will be by far the most awesome projector in that price range. :blink::P:P:P:D:P:P

Lol indeed Foggy.... though as I said, I havn't heard anything official on this... but if it's true, I'll certainly be very happy, aprticularly if it becomes do-able at the 8k mark or so...

I'll get hold of the distributor tomorrow....

EDIT: I jsut discovered the current RRP in the USA is acutally 7999, not 10k. Originally it was 10k IIRC. with this in mind, it seems more plausible that we may see a price drop, though here in Aus it is controlled by a single distributor... so maybe not. Will wait and see.

and 8k vs 5k

Hey mate.... in regards to the 576 vs 768..... if the overall image quality is retained or improved, this makes it more versatile (seating distance) and better suited to future formats... definately an improvement in that regard... but as RES certainly isn't the be-all and end-all of image quality, will have to wait and see what the overall image quality is like.... but this thread aint about the 830 :-)

Edited by Samhain

Lol indeed Foggy.... though as I said, I havn't heard anything official on this... but if it's true, I'll certainly be very happy, aprticularly if it becomes do-able at the 8k mark or so...

I'll get hold of the distributor tomorrow....

EDIT: I jsut discovered the current RRP in the USA is acutally 7999, not 10k. Originally it was 10k IIRC. with this in mind, it seems more plausible that we may see a price drop, though here in Aus it is controlled by a single distributor... so maybe not. Will wait and see.

Hey mate.... in regards to the 576 vs 768..... if the overall image quality is retained or improved, this makes it more versatile (seating distance) and better suited to future formats... definately an improvement in that regard... but as RES certainly isn't the be-all and end-all of image quality, will have to wait and see what the overall image quality is like.... but this thread aint about the 830 :-)

Hello Fellas

Although its still US$7999.00 officially. At the CES last Saturday Benq announced a new MSRP of US$5k but not effective until Febuary.

Because the price difference of the Benq and new to be Optoma hd81 here in Oz was about 3k more for the Optoma (MSRP). I was going to wait for it. After much talking with J from W about the price drop in the USA and impending Optoma and other PJs at 1080p, plus other factors? He expected a re-adjustment of its price here in OZ. I received a call from my dealer who is part of this three way conversation and new price will be known as said on Monday.

Samhain you may find out before me as you are 3 hours ahead.

Hello Fellas

Although its still US$7999.00 officially. At the CES last Saturday Benq announced a new MSRP of US$5k but not effective until Febuary.

Because the price difference of the Benq and new to be Optoma hd81 here in Oz was about 3k more for the Optoma (MSRP). I was going to wait for it. After much talking with J from W about the price drop in the USA and impending Optoma and other PJs at 1080p, plus other factors? He expected a re-adjustment of its price here in OZ. I received a call from my dealer who is part of this three way conversation and new price will be known as said on Monday.

Samhain you may find out before me as you are 3 hours ahead.

I have also seen the unofficial MSRP in the USA of $5045 that's my point. If the current there is 7999 then it is likely the AUS price will also drop when the USA price drops.... though again, I have heard nothing at this point... will chase it eagerly tomorrow though.

There is no price drop in Australia yet, same price..

Regards

Kirk Austin

Doug's Electronics

Yup thats correct folks. :blink:

Benq have changed their tune? I specifically called today my dealer and he stated the price remains unchanged. This was contradictory to what he was told that it would drop. I think Benq believes there is no real competition for them on this product.... for now. Never the less is still a fine product.

However, this means more time for us to see new up and coming products with advanced capabilities. :D

Ben

:P

Yup thats correct folks. :P

Benq have changed their tune? I specifically called today my dealer and he stated the price remains unchanged. This was contradictory to what he was told that it would drop. I think Benq believes there is no real competition for them on this product.... for now. Never the less is still a fine product.

However, this means more time for us to see new up and coming products with advanced capabilities. :P

Ben

Perhaps when the the new MSRP (US$5000) takes effect in Febuary in the USA. The situatation may change. :P

Confirmed.

since we here in Aus were already lower than the USA, they are sticking with the original pricing.

Damn!!! :P

You can put your order book away for a little while Samhain! :blink:

I hope the distributor doesn't hold the current price for too long, especially come February when the US price drops, or I might just bypass it altogether and hold out for something else.

Damn!!! :P

You can put your order book away for a little while Samhain! :blink:

I hope the distributor doesn't hold the current price for too long, especially come February when the US price drops, or I might just bypass it altogether and hold out for something else.

Not to worry Foggy....

On a side note, I did something stupid yesterday and stuck a Stewart screen sample to my LP MOrgan with sticky tape and watched a movie... well the solvent in the tape has damaged the screen surface so now I have a lovely rectangle in the middle of my $2500 screen.

One of those "I know this is a bad idea but how else can I do it?" situations.....

Yay :-(

I was about to sell it and buy an Stewart Ultramatte 150 too :-(

:P

Edited by Samhain