Benq pe 8720 Price Drop!

Not to worry Foggy....

On a side note, I did something stupid yesterday and stuck a Stewart screen sample to my LP MOrgan with sticky tape and watched a movie... well the solvent in the tape has damaged the screen surface so now I have a lovely rectangle in the middle of my $2500 screen.

One of those "I know this is a bad idea but how else can I do it?" situations.....

Yay :-(

I was about to sell it and buy an Stewart Ultramatte 150 too :-(

:blink:

DOH :P

I think John Barber from these forums sprayed his Stewart screen with insect spray in an attempt to kill something, but he was fortunate to not do any permanent damage.

I'd have a shot at cleaning it with an alcohol pad perhaps.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOH :blink:

I think John Barber from these forums sprayed his Stewart screen with insect spray in an attempt to kill something, but he was fortunate to not do any permanent damage.

As in the type used to sterilise a wound or clean a phone ?

No no no no, I'd try one of those Microfiber cleaning blocks from 3m (Chux Magic Erasers) that are used for removing marks from walls - you just wet them and rub - no chemicals involved!

There's more glowing reviews for the 8720 on projectorreviews.com

...the article was published on January 14, and he makes no mention of a price drop in the US :blink:

Click here to view the review

NOTE: Some of you may have read the article already. He used a pre-production version of the projector then. He has since received a production version and updated the review..... and he's now bought one for his own HT. :P

There's more glowing reviews for the 8720 on projectorreviews.com

...the article was published on January 14, and he makes no mention of a price drop in the US :blink:

Click here to view the review

NOTE: Some of you may have read the article already. He used a pre-production version of the projector then. He has since received a production version and updated the review..... and he's now bought one for his own HT. :P

Hello Guys

I would like to know how many of you out there would be REALLY serious at purchasing this projector if the price fell in line with its US price equivalent. When the Benq retails for USD$5000.00 perhaps here at $6999.00. Lets see what happens the first week of Feb :P

Ben

Hello Guys

I would like to know how many of you out there would be REALLY serious at purchasing this projector if the price fell in line with its US price equivalent. When the Benq retails for USD$5000.00 perhaps here at $6999.00. Lets see what happens the first week of Feb :blink:

Ben

My position's pretty clear, and is probably the same as yours Ben. I'd be silly to buy one now, when there's a chance that it could drop a few $k in a month.

I think the Australian distributor needs to make an announcement or a price guarantee (i.e. if the RRP does drop in the next 2-3 months, that we will be refunded the difference). Either way, I'm reluctant to put my money down with this pricing speculation hanging over the deal.

My position's pretty clear, and is probably the same as yours Ben. I'd be silly to buy one now, when there's a chance that it could drop a few $k in a month.

I think the Australian distributor needs to make an announcement or a price guarantee (i.e. if the RRP does drop in the next 2-3 months, that we will be refunded the difference). Either way, I'm reluctant to put my money down with this pricing speculation hanging over the deal.

Oh yeh your right on the money with that one. I know that the shops have been told they would be "price protected". But we would not usually not be aware of that. I find it interesting that such terminology is being discussed if the MRSP was not going anywhere. :blink:

Ben

Im the same. Room will be finished in a couple of months and would strongly consider (probably buy) at $5-6K but not at $9-10k.

Thanks guys for the feedback. What I am trying to establish here is numbers. I have spoken to the rep from W....n on a few occasions. I would love to give out his name and mobile number so he can hear from US but do not want to destroy the relationship with him. When we have numbers we can put subtle pressure on them and its our money that talks, they want it. I bet that 8720 has not reached sales of 15 units Australia wide yet. I am fairly sure that here in W.A that only ONE has been sold.

Am currently having large entertainment unit built that will house a hidden 110" screen. To be finished around late Feb. Will then be looking for a a first time projector. The 8720 sounds just like the ticket but can only justify at the $6k mark. Here's hoping!

Am currently having large entertainment unit built that will house a hidden 110" screen. To be finished around late Feb. Will then be looking for a a first time projector. The 8720 sounds just like the ticket but can only justify at the $6k mark. Here's hoping!

Ditto for me as well if it hits the 5-6K price point, but will be 6 to 8 months before my house is close to being finished, so I can wait. If the price hasn't dropped by then I'm sure there will be other contenders.

been following this forum for 6 months trying to work out what to buy

hard choice, have seen a selection at samhains where the 8720 was IMO

the best, was looking in the 3k range but the benq at 5k would be a winner

looks like the kids are on bread & water for another 2 months

Guest mlrayner
Im the same. Room will be finished in a couple of months and would strongly consider (probably buy) at $5-6K but not at $9-10k.

Only to happy to give you my name and number etc if it helps your case any. :blink:

Only to happy to give you my name and number etc if it helps your case any. :P

Got a call from a mate with a high contact at Benq. Retail will drop from $9999 to $9200. So only a drop of $800 :blink:

New firmware will be added next week for new models not sold yet!

Edited by juddy

Got a call from a mate with a high contact at Benq. Retail will drop from $9999 to $9200. So only a drop of $800 :blink:

New firmware will be added next week for new models not sold yet!

Thanks for that mate.

I would like to think that my best price I received will then drop by that same amount of $800.00 to reflect the change in the MSRP. I do believe that a $800.00 reduction in light of all info posted is rather welll....light. Wether this is just a price drop per se and not indicative of the USA situation.

Ben

Thanks for that mate.

I would like to think that my best price I received will then drop by that same amount of $800.00 to reflect the change in the MSRP. I do believe that a $800.00 reduction in light of all info posted is rather welll....light. Wether this is just a price drop per se and not indicative of the USA situation.

Ben

Ben, the RRP might drop my 800 (still doubt it) but the cost price to dealers may not drop the same.

Retail works on percentage. The best you MIGHT expect is the same percentage drop as the cost price drops, if any.

That will certainly NOT be the full 800, as they discounted to start with.

Ben, the RRP might drop my 800 (still doubt it) but the cost price to dealers may not drop the same.

Retail works on percentage. The best you MIGHT expect is the same percentage drop as the cost price drops, if any.

That will certainly NOT be the full 800, as they discounted to start with.

well, an 8% drop is better than a wack on the head with a dead fish :blink:

• 1 month later...

I'm just wondering if anyone here that showed interest in the 8720 has bought one yet, or are you all still waiting like me for a significant price drop?

With the advent of the Optoma HD72, the Benq would have to RRP at less than $6k for me to consider it now... it's not that much better than the Optoma.

I'm just wondering if anyone here that showed interest in the 8720 has bought one yet, or are you all still waiting like me for a significant price drop?

With the advent of the Optoma HD72, the Benq would have to RRP at less than $6k for me to consider it now... it's not that much better than the Optoma.

Hey Foggy

Good to see this thread is still alive. I agree in principal with what you said. But the benq is in a different class (flexibility) which is what I need namely a LONG THROW pj by definition to be used in constant height set up. If this was not a factor then I would chose the optoma. The added brightness is a good thing espcially for large screens. I know one store here in WA that has had the same 8720 on the floor since october. The keeps getting discounted but no takers. I believe that is good value for money but the brand name recognition in relation to price lets it down in this regard. I am too hoping for an official manufacture price drop. Then negotiate after that! With 1080dlp around the corner 720 at current prices in the regions of the benq and above are overpriced with new technology emerging.

Ben

• 1 month later...
Guest mlrayner
Hey Foggy

Good to see this thread is still alive. I agree in principal with what you said. But the benq is in a different class (flexibility) which is what I need namely a LONG THROW pj by definition to be used in constant height set up. If this was not a factor then I would chose the optoma. The added brightness is a good thing espcially for large screens. I know one store here in WA that has had the same 8720 on the floor since october. The keeps getting discounted but no takers. I believe that is good value for money but the brand name recognition in relation to price lets it down in this regard. I am too hoping for an official manufacture price drop. Then negotiate after that! With 1080dlp around the corner 720 at current prices in the regions of the benq and above are overpriced with new technology emerging.

Ben

Any news on price movement on this projector?

It’s still my preferred option but can’t justify the price when compared to Sim2 Domino 30H which I believe has dropped to around the $6k mark.

Has anyone actually brought one and if so any indication on price would be appreciated.

I’m hoping Benq is considering a price drop (as per the USA) in light of the competition.