Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Paid $6500 package price for the new 50" Panasonic with Samsung HD STB cables and delivery from JB's. Stunning picture on HD TV, glad I waited for this model.

Just bought a TH-50PV60A 50 inch model for $3600 from JB Hifi in Macquarie Centre with a 4 year extra warranty for an extra $400

Also got an LG LST6100 HD Set Top box for $340 and a Yamaha Rx-V557 for $490

Got from Cabramatta Hifi a Richter Thor Mk IV Subwoofer for $780

Well I have bitten the bullet - went into radio rentals with receipt in hand awesome service and got the 50 " 600a with 5 years warrenty and delivery for $4380.00 ( delivery was $30 and I have a hatch it was not going to fit ). They are expecting there shipment to come in on Thursday, but have told me that it may be a few days beyond that as they can't control freight prior to the stuff arriving in adelaide.

May I say that HN Marion were really pushy and were telling me how it can't be sold for that price etc etc. I will not buy anything from that store every again. It also seems that the receipts from this post have been doing the rounds to all and sundry as they all new about the magical $4300 figure.

Next question cables ( HDMI ) does a $50 cable perform as well for the layman as a $200 monster - the cable length will be at max 2 m

good work dr mike :blink:

post up when you get it delivered cos im waiting for mine too ... but from hn citi x

did you get the pana on interest free terms???

i ended up getting these hdmi cables...

http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...&i=41198226

good work dr mike :blink:

post up when you get it delivered cos im waiting for mine too ... but from hn citi x

did you get the pana on interest free terms???

i ended up getting these hdmi cables...

http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...&i=41198226

No I just paid cash - the HN guys wouldn't do that price for interest free -

I think $4380 is a decent price ..... well I am happy seeing as though this is little ol adelaide,

Just need to not be on shift when it is delivered easier then it seems

"Our cables feature a patented design. The exclusive patented design reduces interference by up to 25%. We know that you do not need expensive, gold-plated cables with fancy names to get an excellent video signal."

I'm also interested in what makes an HDMI cable good or bad. Gold plating?

Boxer I am not expert my any means - but my friend has monster cables and also no name ones from ebay ( I think they are a brand called UGLY ) and I can't tell the difference at all however the cheaper one was like $28 and the monster $149 so go figure - I think the longer the distance maybe the better the picutre with the high end cables - but seriously they are friggin cables unless someone else can shed more light on this.

Guest Simonk83
I'm also interested in what makes an HDMI cable good or bad. Gold plating?

Despite what that Selby Acoustics page says, gold plating makes minimal difference. More of a gimmick really. It'll help slightly of course, but I'll challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference with the naked eye :D They're also not hard to find, so I'm not sure what they're on about :blink:

Despite what that Selby Acoustics page says, gold plating makes minimal difference. More of a gimmick really. It'll help slightly of course, but I'll challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference with the naked eye :D They're also not hard to find, so I'm not sure what they're on about :blink:

So would agree then that hdmi cables are much the same within a few metre cable

As a couple has done today, i finally took the plunge and got the 42-px600 :blink:

Went to couple places, goodguys couldnt guarantee that i would have it by saturday. Jb-hifi agreed, but then changed their mind once i said i would pay deposit now and the remainder tomorrow when i have access to a ute to pick it up. Last stop was HN, they sourced one from another store im pretty sure and agreed on the $2900.00 price. Delivery is Wednesday but wont be setting anything up until Saturday god damn it hehe!

If your buying just the tv itself $2900 seems to be the lowest anyone would go. I think as others have done when buying other equipment you have more bargainig power.

Anyone know what the HN warranty is like?? didnt take it but i think was like $300-$398 for 3years maybe from memory

What is everyone using to tidy up the cables at the back - any ideas

What is everyone using to tidy up the cables at the back - any ideas

My 50PX600A came with a heap of click on deivces and straps for tying down the cables at the back. They use a releasable cable-tie system which works great. At the back of my TV, I've got my antenna lead, VGA cable, an audio cable, power cable and three composite cables for my DVD player. Nnone of them are visible from the front

I also joined the club today, the 50" 600A with 5 years warranty for $4300.00 from my local JB Hi Fi, and they had stock so I took it home straight away.

Also picked up a Yammy 1700B for $1670.

All I can say about the Panny is OMFG! It is huge!

I just upgraded from a 68cm CRT with the highest res being a SVHS video deck!

Can't wait to get the amp sorted and a Panny S97 upscaler until the whole PS3 and XBox 360 battle is sorted.

As a couple has done today, i finally took the plunge and got the 42-px600 :blink:

Went to couple places, goodguys couldnt guarantee that i would have it by saturday. Jb-hifi agreed, but then changed their mind once i said i would pay deposit now and the remainder tomorrow when i have access to a ute to pick it up. Last stop was HN, they sourced one from another store im pretty sure and agreed on the $2900.00 price. Delivery is Wednesday but wont be setting anything up until Saturday god damn it hehe!

If your buying just the tv itself $2900 seems to be the lowest anyone would go. I think as others have done when buying other equipment you have more bargainig power.

Anyone know what the HN warranty is like?? didnt take it but i think was like $300-$398 for 3years maybe from memory

as i said earlier in this thread Dick Smith has offered me the new 42inch for $2800 and that was bout 2-3 weeks ago.... and that was just browsing in the store.. not even serious and no bargaining!

as i said earlier in this thread Dick Smith has offered me the new 42inch for $2800 and that was bout 2-3 weeks ago.... and that was just browsing in the store.. not even serious and no bargaining!

The DSE store in Nunawading, Victoria is having an end of lease sale atm. They might be worth a call if anyone local is checking out prices this week.

In summary the following are the options and costs:

50" TH-50PV60A -> $3,600 with 3yr warranty

50" TH50PX600A -> $4,300 with 5yr warranty

Now is there any advantage in getting the cheaper screen and buying a HD stb over buying the screen with the built in HD tuner?

I am liking the idea of the $500 rebate if i grab a DVD burner and Speaker setup.. but would rather make the right decision on the TV rather than be swayed by a cheap stereo setup...

Well I'm glad I went for the 600A because the picture using its built-in HD tuner is tangibly superior to using my Dgtec 2000A HD STB over component, which is what I would've used if I'd bought the 60A. Anyone know why there is such a noticeable difference? Is the 2000A that out of date? Does the built-in tuner utilise some form of progressive scan?

They are expecting there shipment to come in on Thursday, but have told me that it may be a few days beyond that as they can't control freight prior to the stuff arriving in adelaide.

Well the shortage of these sets continues, at least in Perth. I just spoke to HN Osbourne Park and they aren't expecting their next shipment (of 10 or so units) until mid December. I'm 3rd on the list and there's at least another 5 people waiting for sets on backorder.

Well the shortage of these sets continues, at least in Perth. I just spoke to HN Osbourne Park and they aren't expecting their next shipment (of 10 or so units) until mid December. I'm 3rd on the list and there's at least another 5 people waiting for sets on backorder.

I'm also in Perth, what model have you reserved and what price did you get, if you don't ming me asking :blink:

Guest Simonk83

Oh man :D No offence, but I hope that's just limited to Perth :blink:

I'm awaiting a 600A...sometime shortly..... :blink:

I currently have a VCR, about 6 years old, and a DVD player about 3 years old. Nothing flash. They do their job.

A couple of questions though.

1. Are these at all compatible with the Pana?

My wife records quite a bit of fta TV. We don't have, nor will we be getting cable TV.

We could use the twin tuner capability and ocassionally would want to keep a copy of something.

2. What might be the better pvr/dvdr upgrade options?

I've read about the dse/pana/lg options and the expense is an issue. The dse is cheapest and seems to get some reasonable feedback.

I've done quite a bit of reading through this great forum but to a technophobe like myself, it all just scrambles a wee too much eventually.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Simonk83
I'm awaiting a 600A...sometime shortly..... :blink:

I currently have a VCR, about 6 years old, and a DVD player about 3 years old. Nothing flash. They do their job.

A couple of questions though.

1. Are these at all compatible with the Pana?

Yes :D

Guest Simonk83
Thanks. I'm yet to get all these pieces together to look at the connections required, so that'll be my second duty after plugging the telly in and tuning it.

Cheers

VCR will just be standard RCA plugs (red, white, yellow). DVD will probably be the same, or Svideo, or Component if you're lucky :blink: