Which universal remote?

The main thing that attracted me to this remote was the ability to rename all buttons.

It does have a few hard buttons (channel change, volume, and another 4 assignable) for the majority of applications.

I currently have a programmable remote that came with my Yamaha receiver, plenty of hard buttons. The problem is that only I know what the re-assigned buttons do!

Whenever my wife or kids want to do something more than basic, they have to ring me at work (ie which button equals 'red' for Foxtel?).

Steve

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example, if you are in the "Watch DVD" and you press the "Listen to music" button, it knows the receiver is already on, so it won't send a power command to it (handy if you don't have discreet On/Off commands).

Similarly if your TV doesn't have discreets for input selection(ie you have a button which cycles through all the inputs one after the other), and you change activity from "Watch DVD" to "Watch VCR" it knows what input you are currently on, and therefore how many times it needs to "press" the input button to get to the right input for the VCR.

It is basically the same as macros, but more powerful in that it only sends the commands it needs to.

It is all programmed via the web, which also means if you are having trouble setting something up you can call tech support and they can go in to your account and fix what needs to fixed for you. Everyone on the RemoteCentral forums raves about Harmony tech support.

As far as using 2 DVD players, you could set up a seperate activity for each DVD player.

Once again, read the review I posted above...it explains it much better than I can!

Thanks for the above explanation. I have to say I am most impressed by it. It will most certainly be my next URC should I make my Sunwave redundant. It sounded exactly like the type of remote that my wife needs... :P

Cheers.

I know where you're coming from :blink:

That's the biggest attraction for me. There may be more powerful remotes around, but nothing beats the ease of use of this thing.... gotta keep the Minister of Finance happy! :P

I've contacted BlueDo on the Harmony 880 and they expect the arrival in Oz at the end of May with a similar pricetag as the H688.

That would be nice.

The best thing about Harmony remotes is their "Smart State" tech, which "remembers" the condition of all your devices, so you don't need discreet codes.

Being activity based means it's also easier for the rest of the family/visitors to use. ie you just press the "Watch DVD" or "Listen to Music" button and everything sets itself to the correct inputs etc as required.

Can you please elaborate on how you mean that it 'remembers' the condition of all devices?

Also, these activity based selection still need programming? Is it equivalent to macro? And also, if I have 2 dvd players, how would it know which dvd player I am using?

Cheers.

For example, if you are in the "Watch DVD" and you press the "Listen to music" button, it knows the receiver is already on, so it won't send a power command to it (handy if you don't have discreet On/Off commands).

Similarly if your TV doesn't have discreets for input selection(ie you have a button which cycles through all the inputs one after the other), and you change activity from "Watch DVD" to "Watch VCR" it knows what input you are currently on, and therefore how many times it needs to "press" the input button to get to the right input for the VCR.

It is basically the same as macros, but more powerful in that it only sends the commands it needs to.

It is all programmed via the web, which also means if you are having trouble setting something up you can call tech support and they can go in to your account and fix what needs to fixed for you. Everyone on the RemoteCentral forums raves about Harmony tech support.

As far as using 2 DVD players, you could set up a seperate activity for each DVD player.

Once again, read the review I posted above...it explains it much better than I can!

Seriously.. is this worth paying extra money for ???? How many times do you want to watch a DVD and then listen to music. For the few times you do, on a cheaper, better remote like the MX500, you can press DVD, to watch your DVD, press the 'off' button to turn everything off, then press 'CD' to turn on all music systems and change remote to audio mode.

'Smart state' technology aint worth huge bucks. And with dsicretes, its totaly irrelevant.

Harmony are reknowned for activity based remotes. The MX500 can be both an acitivity based and a device based remote.

bertieb

The best thing about Harmony remotes is their "Smart State" tech, which "remembers" the condition of all your devices, so you don't need discreet codes.

Being activity based means it's also easier for the rest of the family/visitors to use. ie you just press the "Watch DVD" or "Listen to Music" button and everything sets itself to the correct inputs etc as required.

Can you please elaborate on how you mean that it 'remembers' the condition of all devices?

Also, these activity based selection still need programming? Is it equivalent to macro? And also, if I have 2 dvd players, how would it know which dvd player I am using?

Cheers.

Seriously.. is this worth paying extra money for ???? How many times do you want to watch a DVD and then listen to music. For the few times you do, on a cheaper, better remote like the MX500, you can press DVD, to watch your DVD, press the 'off' button to turn everything off, then press 'CD' to turn on all music systems and change remote to audio mode.

'Smart state' technology aint worth huge bucks. And with dsicretes, its totaly irrelevant.

Harmony are reknowned for activity based remotes. The MX500 can be both an acitivity based and a device based remote.

bertieb

I have two Harmony remotes and they work flawlessly, even with my dial up net connection. The cheapest Harmony (659) is only $10 US more than the MX500 at BlueDo, so its not that expensive. I will also get a 3rd Harmony for my other system, probably the 880.

:blink:

Cheers.

bertieb

I have two Harmony remotes and they work flawlessly, even with my dial up net connection. The cheapest Harmony (659) is only $10 US more than the MX500 at BlueDo, so its not that expensive. I will also get a 3rd Harmony for my other system, probably the 880.

But being an 'Activity' remote// how do they work if you wan to do something indivudual.. eg : get to the menu to replay a screen in a DVD, or replay a track youve just lisitened to on a CD, etc etc. Surely there'nt arent pretty icons for everything.. at somestage youll wanthe remote in your hand to replicate exactly the original remote.. and hence you'll want a device based remote, as well as an activity based remote.

Mind you... each to their own. Some people are in love with activity based remotes only.. they want the most simplese form of URC, and hence Harmony is probably the way to go. But in my opinion, for a remote that does everything, acitivty as well as device, the MX series (especially mine with RF capabilities) is hard to beat.

Cheers.

bertieb

But being an 'Activity' remote// how do they work if you wan to do something indivudual.. eg : get to the menu to replay a screen in a DVD, or replay a track youve just lisitened to on a CD, etc etc. Surely there'nt arent pretty icons for everything.. at somestage youll wanthe remote in your hand to replicate exactly the original remote.. and hence you'll want a device based remote, as well as an activity based remote.

Mind you... each to their own. Some people are in love with activity based remotes only.. they want the most simplese form of URC, and hence Harmony is probably the way to go. But in my opinion, for a remote that does everything, acitivty as well as device, the MX series (especially mine with RF capabilities) is hard to beat.

If you want the menu, press the "Menu" button. If you want to go back a track, press the "ll<" button, all from within the activity. In other words, when you enter an activity the remote sets itself up so all the buttons control what should logically be controlled in that activity. ie volume buttons control volume of audio device for that activity.

Alternatively, you can also press the "Device" button and directly control whichever device you please, just like any other device based remote

I have the Sony AV3100. Remote Central website has all the details.

Works especially well with Sony equipment, with everything else it has been a matter of finding a matching configuration or using the learning feature. Is capable of handling everything I have thrown at it and more. There is also no way one of these can be lost down the back of the couch.

Had mine sent from New York - the local prices were tooooo much. Even with exhorbitant shipping costs it arrived for under 200 $AU.

The better the remote and the more effort you put into setting it up the better the spouse acceptance factor (I still have some way to go).

Anyone who doubts the ease of setup and sophistication of Harmony remotes should go to their website and take a Test Drive. Select the Harmony 688, which uses basically the same technology as the new 880.

I just did the test drive and the site found the exact model number of every single one of my components, including Topfield 5000pvrt, DGTEC HD-2000A, my LG monitor, Sharp VCR, etc.

The whole set-up is done by answering questions about how you want to use your system, and is vastly easier than it was for the MX-500. Based on the fact that it found all my components, no individual learning should be required.

Once you have done the internet set-up and actually have the remote, you simply download through the USB connection.

Anyone who doubts the ease of setup and sophistication of Harmony remotes should go to their website and take a Test Drive.  Select the Harmony 688, which uses basically the same technology as the new 880.

I just did the test drive and the site found the exact model number of every single one of my components, including Topfield 5000pvrt, DGTEC HD-2000A, my LG monitor, Sharp VCR, etc.

The whole set-up is done by answering questions about how you want to use your system, and is vastly easier than it was for the MX-500.  Based on the fact that it found all my components, no individual learning should be required.

Once you have done the internet set-up and actually have the remote, you simply download through the USB connection.

I did that. Firstly, the Harmony 880 is not yet listed in their Tech support. Next, three out of the eight deviices I have at home are not listed either. The fourth, my Pio Plasma 435 HDG is not lsited either, but the 435 HD is, so I guess that could be compatible. So the wife factor is gonna be waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy down looooooowwwwwwwwww in my case :blink:

There are a few differences between the current Harmony remotes, eg the 688 and the forthcoming 880. These are:

a)880 has a much larger and full color LCD

b)880 comes with a Lithum Ion regargeable battery.

c)You can upload images to customize your 880's LCD screen.

d)You can upload a slideshow to the 880 that will play while it recharges

Either than that, both remotes use the same technology and download the IR codes from the same database.

However, the 880's power supply is not 240volt compliant. Logitech have a few options:

1. The 880's charger is 120 volt AC. If you have 240 volt 50hz then you would have 2 options.

a)Purchase a converter

b)Wait about 2 months until the 885 is released. The 885 is the European version of the 880. It will have the 240 volt charger along with Teletext functionality.

Therefore, as the 880 is still probably at least a month or two away, then the 885 will probably be anywhere between 3-4 months away.

By comparison, the 680 is less money than the 688/880/885 (@ $US113 + postage) which is very favourable in comparison to the MX500, and from what I have learned it is way easier to use and to set up, while still retaining all the functionality of the MX500 as well (ie. ability to learn all existing remotes).

There are a few differences between the current Harmony remotes, eg the 688 and the forthcoming 880.  These are:

Either than that, both remotes use the same technology and download the IR codes from the same database.

However, the 880's power supply is not 240volt compliant.  Logitech have a few options:

1.  The 880's charger is 120 volt AC.  If you have 240 volt 50hz then you would have 2 options.

a)Purchase a converter

b)Wait about 2 months until the 885 is released.  The 885 is the European version of the 880.  It will have the 240 volt charger along with Teletext functionality.

Therefore, as the 880 is still probably at least a month or two away, then the 885 will probably be anywhere between 3-4 months away.

By comparison, the 680 is less money than the 688/880/885 (@ $US113 + postage) which is very favourable in comparison to the MX500, and from what I have learned it is way easier to use and to set up, while still retaining all the functionality of the MX500 as well (ie. ability to learn all existing remotes).

So based on your reply, there is hardly any difference between the 880 and the 688. Also since the 880 is not 240 volt compliant, it won't work where I come from. What are the differences between the 680 and 688?

There are a few differences between the current Harmony remotes, eg the 688 and the forthcoming 880.  These are:

However, the 880's power supply is not 240volt compliant.  Logitech have a few options:

1.  The 880's charger is 120 volt AC.  If you have 240 volt 50hz then you would have 2 options.

a)Purchase a converter

b)Wait about 2 months until the 885 is released.  The 885 is the European version of the 880.  It will have the 240 volt charger along with Teletext functionality.

So based on your reply, there is hardly any difference between the 880 and the 688. Also since the 880 is not 240 volt compliant, it won't work where I come from. What are the differences between the 680 and 688?

The fact that the release of the 880 is now back to early June, and the European version two months later, makes their current stable of remotes more appealing.

The Harmony 680 is their latest version, despite it's model number. The 688 was released before the 667 and then after that one, the 680. All their remotes do the same thing, and it is just the look and ergonomics/button placement of the remote that is the difference.

The only major issue with the 688 (apart from being more expensive than the 680) is that the buttons around the screen are not as easy to use (and get right) than on the 667 and 680. The 680 is specially configured to Microsoft Media Centre PCs, however applies equally to PVRs as well (seems to have a really great configuration for them). It is the only one that has alphabet letters under the channel numbers, to make naming pre-recorded programmes easier.

So, when you take all this into consideration, that while the 880 looks really cool, with it's great looking colour display, and the fact that it has a re-charging docking station, it has no more features or things it can do for you than any of their other remotes. And if you got the US 880 model, you would have to get a power converter, or wait an extra 2 months of the 885 with 240v docking station. But then, in my household, the remote would NEVER be replaced on the charger (my portable phone is left all round the place and I always find myself hunting it down to return it to it's charger).

Anyhow, after all my research, I have decided to go for the 680, which will give me just about every bit of functionality I could ever want.

According to what I see on Bluedo's site, the price for the 680 is US$127.95 + postage. I suppose one needs to have a discount coupon to get it at $113? That is something I do not have.

According to what I see on Bluedo's site, the price for the 680 is US$127.95 + postage. I suppose one needs to have a discount coupon to get it at $113? That is something I do not have.

I talked to Bluedo before, and they only provide the coupons for the MX series of remotes, not the Harmony ones. And I have a forum buddy who wants to get one with me, so I've emailed a few, including Bluedo to see what price I can get 2 units, incl. postage for. When I work out which is the best deal I will post it.

a)Purchase a converter

The fact that the release of the 880 is now back to early June, and the European version two months later, makes their current stable of remotes more appealing.

The Harmony 680 is their latest version, despite it's model number. The 688 was released before the 667 and then after that one, the 680. All their remotes do the same thing, and it is just the look and ergonomics/button placement of the remote that is the difference.

The only major issue with the 688 (apart from being more expensive than the 680) is that the buttons around the screen are not as easy to use (and get right) than on the 667 and 680. The 680 is specially configured to Microsoft Media Centre PCs, however applies equally to PVRs as well (seems to have a really great configuration for them). It is the only one that has alphabet letters under the channel numbers, to make naming pre-recorded programmes easier.

So, when you take all this into consideration, that while the 880 looks really cool, with it's great looking colour display, and the fact that it has a re-charging docking station, it has no more features or things it can do for you than any of their other remotes. And if you got the US 880 model, you would have to get a power converter, or wait an extra 2 months of the 885 with 240v docking station. But then, in my household, the remote would NEVER be replaced on the charger (my portable phone is left all round the place and I always find myself hunting it down to return it to it's charger).

Anyhow, after all my research, I have decided to go for the 680, which will give me just about every bit of functionality I could ever want.

OK GUYS I AM SOLD

Ok guys i am sold when it the 885 avilable and roughly how much?

No official price has been set as yet, but most places are taking pre-orders at around $160-170US for the 880....don't know about the 885 but I'd assume it will be more because it probably won't be available from US online retailers. I'm just going to get the 880 and a $20 Dick Smith power adapter.

Bummer the release has been put back to June 10 now though :blink:

No official price has been set as yet, but most places are taking pre-orders at around $160-170US for the 880....don't know about the 885 but I'd assume it will be more because it probably won't be available from US online retailers. I'm just going to get the 880 and a $20 Dick Smith power adapter.

Bummer the release has been put back to June 10 now though  :blink:

Damn 10th June

This would have to be one of the coolest remotes i have seen in a while

I took the test drive and out of 22 components 2 where not available

a)Purchase a converter

OK GUYS I AM SOLD

Hi Glenn,

I was wondering when the 'old faithfuls' would come out to play! Sadly you will have to wait till around Aug/Sept for this one, however I can't wait, and think the price/functionality of the 680 is better. And as they all operate the same way, just with different buttons and looks, it doesn't make it such a hard choice.

Frankly when I get mine up and running and post my thoughts on it, I bet there will be a stampede for this style of remote. They seem aimed particularly at the 'wife' market, where most (duck) are not as technically minded as their blokey partners (Kay and other gadget-chicks excluded from this dastardly stereotype!). Both my wife and daughter have given me merry-hell over not always being able to get things working on my MX500, and if I don't get something so simple, that will work for them each and every time, then simply put, I'm Dead Meat!

I will say here though, in absolute defence of the MX500, it has been a brilliant remote and had I not had problems with the opposite gender in our household, I would still have it. Any time a component was out of sync, I would simply manually switch it on. No probs, easy. But, not for them. They can't work out the difference between an STB and a PVR, and can't work out why we have SD and HD channels when they all look the same!!!!!!!!!!!! I give up! (BTW, I have sold my MX500 to a very grateful forum member and I know he will have many years of very happy and hopefully successful operation with it).

Anyhow, I digress. When you start to investigate the Harmony range of remotes, you find they are not just a simple piece of crap, but a very sophisticated remote with mountains of options and programming flexibility, which is all handled over the net, and without much programming. Certainly nothing to the extent that the Pronto and higher MX series demand.

The one thing that may make them less popular on this forum is that they don't demand a degree in Rocket Science to programme and operate. Glenn, I know this may be an issue here, as there is something manly about being the only one who knows how to drive the remote. Sort of like being in a Secret Society. Guess being single has it's merits! But to the rest of us shackled plebs, a remote the missus can work successfully, has to be a bonus! Sadly, for me, it has come to this!

a)Purchase a converter

OK GUYS I AM SOLD

Hi Glenn,

I was wondering when the 'old faithfuls' would come out to play! Sadly you will have to wait till around Aug/Sept for this one, however I can't wait, and think the price/functionality of the 680 is better. And as they all operate the same way, just with different buttons and looks, it doesn't make it such a hard choice.

Frankly when I get mine up and running and post my thoughts on it, I bet there will be a stampede for this style of remote. They seem aimed particularly at the 'wife' market, where most (duck) are not as technically minded as their blokey partners (Kay and other gadget-chicks excluded from this dastardly stereotype!). Both my wife and daughter have given me merry-hell over not always being able to get things working on my MX500, and if I don't get something so simple, that will work for them each and every time, then simply put, I'm Dead Meat!

I will say here though, in absolute defence of the MX500, it has been a brilliant remote and had I not had problems with the opposite gender in our household, I would still have it. Any time a component was out of sync, I would simply manually switch it on. No probs, easy. But, not for them. They can't work out the difference between an STB and a PVR, and can't work out why we have SD and HD channels when they all look the same!!!!!!!!!!!! I give up! (BTW, I have sold my MX500 to a very grateful forum member and I know he will have many years of very happy and hopefully successful operation with it).

Anyhow, I digress. When you start to investigate the Harmony range of remotes, you find they are not just a simple piece of crap, but a very sophisticated remote with mountains of options and programming flexibility, which is all handled over the net, and without much programming. Certainly nothing to the extent that the Pronto and higher MX series demand.

The one thing that may make them less popular on this forum is that they don't demand a degree in Rocket Science to programme and operate. Glenn, I know this may be an issue here, as there is something manly about being the only one who knows how to drive the remote. Sort of like being in a Secret Society. Guess being single has it's merits! But to the rest of us shackled plebs, a remote the missus can work successfully, has to be a bonus! Sadly, for me, it has come to this!

Hey Shaun

I take you point about the 680 but i love the funky colour icons of the 880

I will be more than interested in hearing your thoughts about the 680 personally i think this is whee we should be going with remotes making them easier ot program and use .

I am sick and tired of being the only one able to drive these componentes so what ever makes it easier to the misses to use i say BRING IT ON.

Bummer the release has been put back to June 10 now though  :P

Damn 10th June

Another cool thing about them (although probably not for you!) is as soon as you learn those 2 unknown components to it, they will be added to the online database, so all other future users won't have to learn the same devices. With any luck someone will learn them for you before you actually get your hands on one?? :blink:

I think the 880 will be worth the wait...I think it will have the best button layout, and the rechargeable batteries and 8 activities on the main page will be a big bonus.

Bummer the release has been put back to June 10 now though  :P

Damn 10th June

Another cool thing about them (although probably not for you!) is as soon as you learn those 2 unknown components to it, they will be added to the online database, so all other future users won't have to learn the same devices. With any luck someone will learn them for you before you actually get your hands on one?? :blink:

I think the 880 will be worth the wait...I think it will have the best button layout, and the rechargeable batteries and 8 activities on the main page will be a big bonus.

I think that is a great idea about updating their database lets face it we all buy new toys and what better than a place like this and a unit like that makeing it so much easier

I have the Sony RMV2500 - looks good and its great for me - however my wife hates it as the LCD buttons are not customisable..... got it from ebay for about aud$160.

the Sunwave SRC7000 looks really good, but I haven't found it in Sydney yet....

*64 in 1 IR Learning & Pre-Programmed Remote Control.

*Use graphic Touch-Screen panel. LCD contrast adjustable.

*16 Bit Flash Type MCU, Firmware is upgradeable.

*Use 1M bytes Flash Memory for Learning/ Pre-Programmed Code which ensures code will never be lost.

*Each device can set up as many as 8 pages of different keys and only shown pages you need.

*8 rubber buttons for frequently used features

*Built-in over 1000 pre-programmed code

*Store different code in one key, in order to adjust between different action by pressing same key

*Calendar and Clock built in.

*Assigning macros up to 64 commands, including time delays between two commands.

*During macro transmission, all commands are shown on LCD screen, easier to be comprehended by users

*Timers for sending commands at specific times, days, or even dates

*Automatically detect environment brightness to light up backlight auxiliary illumination.

*With Auto power saving

*With motion detect to power up automatically

*Duplicate function

*USB PC interface, Via RemoteComm you may edit or modify key, size & position of labels or symbols which also enables user to create personal graphic bank( Combine optional SLC-2080 USB cable for PC connection)

*Built-in remote code collector may help you to solve the problems of unable learned codes.

I Got my Universal Remote MX-850 Aeros + MRF-250 a few days ago and it's programming is now 98% sorted. The flexability & ease of use with this gizmo are outstanding - on my system it absolutely blows away my old MX-500 & the new type EL backlighting is superb (see hyper-link for Piccy).

My favorite bit is being able to import pre-learned devices created by other folk from the entire MX-7xx & MX-8xx series as well as pinch learned codes from Pronto .ccf files!

I still have a couple of small quirks to iron out but im sure that they are merely minor programming errors on my part.

BTW, for those of you considering the Harmony series, the tracking feature is a complete waste of time if you a/program your universal remote properly & b/all your devices support discrete codes.

I have even worked out, via reading the manual, that with a couple of minor structure changes to my mx-850 I can make it activity based. eg:

Watch TV

Watch DVD

Watch Video

Use HTPC

Listn RADIO

and so on (see above hyper-link for graphical example).