SGR Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

• Administrator

That certainly is a huge room, but the built-in parametric is definitely handy. I am sure Stuart will gladly offer some starting points, but I do know he is currently in Munich.

It might pay to read some of Paul Spencer's Room Acoustics articles here, or even better (since you're in VIC) have him in to measure your room to see if there is a problem.

Guest Peter the Greek

What is the location of the speakers and the MLP?

One would hope its just a placement issue - you're probably sitting in a "hole". Got a calibrated mic/REW?

Also, what is your "reference system"? same room?

No lack of upper bass in the CX4's I heard at SGR headquarters. Must be a room interaction. Be interested to hear if you can resolve it with measurement and adjustment of parametric eq.

Edited by Zammo

Wow, large room indeed. I suspect you need to play around with positioning and adjusting the parametric EQ.  Worth doing a room freq analysis. Paul Spencer or SGR can help you with that.  Otherwise, you're flying blind just playing with settings to compensate.  The CX4's are quite flexible, however, it does need a bit of help with positioning first.  My two cents owning a pair..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anyone got any? When I wronged Jozza last week with a  comment it reminded my of SGR and I had not considered them so far in my new crusade to replace the Focals.

I think Illuminators will be too big and too expensive for me so am thinking of the MT3.2's.

My room is a strange shape but it does sound very good, IMO. It's around 65m3.

Any thoughts on the SGR's?

• Like 1

My impressions from an evening in front of the MT3SL was superlative build quality, huge soundstage, tectonic bass and an overall sound that erred toward clean and accurate rather than cuddly.

But take that in the context of a long time ago in another life entirely.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Anyone got any? When I wronged Jozza last week with a  comment it reminded my of SGR and I had not considered them so far in my new crusade to replace the Focals.

I think Illuminators will be too big and too expensive for me so am thinking of the MT3.2's.

My room is a strange shape but it does sound very good, IMO. It's around 65m3.

Any thoughts on the SGR's?

if you like precise, controlled and unerringly honest re production dripping in dynamics and impact you may well love them. If you like a dash of light and shade and some emotion and nuance ( aka soul ) you may prefer alternatives

This is just my view and doesn't make it true but that's exactly how they affected me

• Like 4

I've had SGR speakers for 10 years now. First the MT3A's - I was there at the inception and bought one of the first pairs, then the MT3.2's ser. no. 009 to be precise. I've always loved them and though my room is unfortunately one of the worst Stuart (Ralston) has ever measured, the mid & bass suck-out being rather difficult, these active speakers have a more than useful equalisation system that I can play around with to improve things. Build quality is superb, styling fantastic (though I do miss the fat-ass Dalek look of the MT3's) and finish just amazing. Piano black is my rather conservative but classy paintwork and polishing to a high sheen is a pleasure, not a chore.

I won't disagree entirely with Rantan, in as much as you won't find much (anything) in the way of rosy glow colouration and it wouldn't be unreasonable to say they don't provide added emotion to the music, but if the recording has the ability to move you to tears, you'll be weeping as you should. Again our Uncle Festus is right they don't have their own soul, but I reckon they do convey the soul in the music.

Not entirely sure if Harry and Stuart are back producing the MT3.2's again, the last I heard there was something of a hiatus to their production but I have lost touch with Harry lately so if you've heard that they are available again I'd like to know.

• Like 3

I recall the SGR room at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show a few years ago (actually, probably only 3 years no) where they impressed me greatly.  This was on the end of some very lovely Brinkmann analogue gear.  That day, in that room and with that gear, they were playing some concert piano wonderfully!

Couldn't comment on them further than that though.

• Like 1

Best bet is to get in touch with Harry or Stuart and arrange a demo. Their hospitality is legendary. No pressure, just lots of time to assess the speakers you want to listen to. Not to mention Anne's lovely nibblies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Pretty (very) much all true about the SGRs as said above.

With a quality source followed by a quality tubed pre I don't think you'd be wanting for more.

I have heard Stuart has been working on a passive alternative to the actives for a certain foreign market, not sure how close to completion they are?

• Like 1

Thanks all, just off the phone to Stuart, had a good chat, they are very busy guys and girls, which is good!

@Grimmie they will make you any SGR model that you want!

Chatting to Stuart made me aware of my ignorance that much of their range is active but that doesn't matter to me.

Yes, if one got serious, partner and I would be winging to Tulla for a shopping week. ;)

Could drop in for a coffee with Joz. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, we're still at it here guys :) 

Belinda and I had a baby boy last year who's least favorite thing to do was sleep, so that set me back a bit and production in 2016 was a little slow, but we're right back into the swing of things this year! 

Certainly still making MT3.2's @Grimmie, actually, this is what the spray booth looked like only last week...

Cheers,

Stuart

_DSC0150 copy.jpg

_DSC0475 copy.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Thanks all, just off the phone to Stuart, had a good chat, they are very busy guys and girls, which is good!

Chatting to Stuart made me aware of my ignorance that much of their range is active but that doesn't matter to me.

Yes, if one got serious, partner and I would be winging to Tulla for a shopping week. ;)

@jozThe Illuminators are passive aren't they?

I'm only around 10 minutes away from SGR as well.

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

AFAIK old mate Joz doesn't like coffee....

• Like 2