Making muy own acoustic panels

I just called up and was going to ask about stock levels and she said do you have a card handy and before I knew it, I ordered the 50mm ones she had left.

I hope no one minds?

I am trying to get my setup finished in hurry while I have some time. :)

I can also order more later if it works out to go to 100mm thickness.

Edited by rocky500

1 minute ago, Perth.hifi said:

Rocky mate.....thanks buddie...... NOT!

It was the spore of the moment. Everyone seemed to be looking at different thickness's.

If anyone wants it I can ring up and cancel it.

Edited by rocky500

Im going to order 75mm.....direct from my contact at CSR....Ive just requested a quote...

Rocky...All good mate.....

I was going to with the 50mm, but was trying to a a group order for everyone....

I have been looking at them since they were mentioned on SNA and keep putting it off.

Finally have my speakers and Amp and other gear all sorted and this is the final piece to finish it all.

But I am patient and can wait too. :)

• Like 1

Guest Peter the Greek

FWIW, IMO stacked layers of 25mm are better if you're putting them in a frame/panel. Two reasons:

1. Easier to cut

2. You can play with various membranes between layers or air gaps

FWIW, IMO stacked layers of 25mm are better if you're putting them in a frame/panel. Two reasons:
1. Easier to cut
2. You can play with various membranes between layers or air gaps

Hi Peter

Would this apply for a diffuser panel design. Anyone got a easy to follow guide for Building diffusers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Guest Peter the Greek
14 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Hi Peter

Would this apply for a diffuser panel design. Anyone got a easy to follow guide for Building diffusers.

I dont see why not, well it depends really.....you've got a few choices for diffusers, I only have experience with BADS.

1. BAD panels (needs a CNC or use the "strip" method I suggested)

2. QRD's (relatively simple, but take a lot of room and you need distance from the listener

3. Skyline's (same as QRD's, and they look awesome)

4. Polys

Or you buy off the shelf models or the above, or you buy the QuestAI ones, which you can put in a panel (not cheap)

This is the QuestAI stuff:

151013%20%20Perf%20sorber_zpsgwneqvnf.jp

Put in a panel like this:

151013%20%20Perf%20panel%20better_zpsmtz

Or BADs:

151002%20combo%20panel%20WIP_zpsz8ahjlv0

Or Polys:

151003%20Room%20WIP_zps6fhwa6lq.jpg

What I did was line with 50mm dense and then filled with fluffy):

150913%20Coloum%20WIP%20adding%20plastic

When I spoke to kings (Tracey) she said there was 5 more lots of 50mm already at the manufacturers ready.

So they should at least be the same price?

I thought they were getting them soon.

Edited by rocky500

Hi Everyone.

Finalising a order now for 75mm CSR Martini Batts.......The proposed purchase is the CSR Martini 75mm HD only.

Taking last orders today.....

Everyone needs to email me at   - gianni@futurehomeliving.com.au

Everyone needs to arrange for payment - confirmed on email to my paypal account

Everyone needs to send me their Mobile phone number for contact.

Delivery of material will be to my home address in DIANELLA

Thanks ..

Another video where they have a membrane of some sort in front to keep the room more lively.

At the 8:48 mins/seconds.

I was going to try different materials. Any tips if someone else has tried?

Edited by rocky500

Guest scumbag
2 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Another video where they have a membrane of some sort in front to keep the room more lively.

At the 8:48 mins/seconds.

I was going different materials. Any tips if someone else has tried?

Yes. The singxer f1 with a good psu sounds great. Chortle. 

Found where you meant to post. 

Edited by scumbag

It's quite interesting to hear Ethan Winer talking about having his listening room using the same 'Reflection Free Zone' as a studio and using trapping as the primary tool to achieve this - this reflects his background in the 'pro-audio' industry and is an example of how 'the real people' do it (as they say)

Obviously, they're never going to use a Maggie, or OB speaker in a pro-audio environment and this highlights the big difference in a home hifi room and a control room/studio, etc particularly as it relates to the very different levels of indirect/reflected/diffused sound reaching your ears - I myself find a Reflection Free Zone is a quite tiring place to listen to music and prefer a room that has a lot of indirect reflections in it, but a very well controlled lower freq (ie. = clean bass)

Another thing to also keep in mind is that pro-audio environments need to exhibit flat freq responses with quite finite Rt rates whereas, at home, we can easily tolerate a freq response of +/- 5dB (depending on the frequency) and much longer decay rates  and keep our room treatment costs reasonable

One fairly easily understood set of videos is by that Acoustic Fields guy, but he also comes from a totally pro-audio point of view - to get a view similar to our situations, a good read of the articles/book by a Jim Smith where he emphasises speaker/listener position and room balance before even starting on the use of room treatment - well worth looking at before rushing the panel assemblies.    

... another 2 cents

33 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

dem puppets....   haven't seen that vid for ages.   LOL!

It was mainly to ask about putting some sort of membrane in front of the XHD panels and that video mentions this on his panels.

My blakhole bass traps I bought are enclosed completely in some sort of solid thin like wood panel, so I take it if you put lots of them in room it won't deaden it to much.

http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/wp/index.php/blak-holl-bass-trap/

Edited by rocky500

"Obviously, they're never going to use a Maggie, or OB speaker in a pro-audio environment and this highlights the big difference in a home hifi room and a control room/studio, etc"

Have you seen the studio of renowned Mastering engineer Barry Diament BDA ? Loves his Maggies.

I'm going to use done fibreglass mesh like flywire oon the back and front tho hold the insulation inside a frame. Going to use 92x18 mdf for the frames, one side with bullnosed edge to give the front edge a small curved edge....

whats everyone's thoughts about the frequency performance of the 75 HD CSR martini panels???? Will it kill too much of the mid range?