My System Today

18 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Hey Steve, may I ask you where did you get your speaker stand made from? I need something like that low height steel stand.

Cheers 

Hi Dennis, Designed by myself to suit the build of these speakers.

Laser cut 10mm plate top and bottom plates with 50mm RHS tube as uprights with a top opening cut into where tubes join to allow filling with garnet, they are very heavy and stable. Powder coat finished

I called up some favours to get these small items cut, paid for them but no one was really interested in these small jobs, then got a client to braze them all together and paint.

Very expensive in the end really, but all custom jobs generally are..

.?

Edited by Mendes

20 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Laser cut 10mm plate top and bottom plates with 50mm RHS tube as uprights with a top opening cut into where tubes join to allow filling with garnet, they are very heavy and stable. Powder coat finished

I called up some favours to get these small items cut, paid for them but no one was really interested in these small jobs, then got a client to braze them all together and paint.

.?

Ok, I will see if I can find any contacts here to make a pair for me.

Cheers mate

29 minutes ago, Mendes said:

.?

Hi Mendes,

Just wondering where you got the speaker cable risers from ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mendes said:

.?

Steve,

Do you mine send a few close up photos of the stand to me pls.

Also anything you would change to improve from your prototype? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Steve,

Do you mine send a few close up photos of the stand to me pls.

Also anything you would change to improve from your prototype? 

Just heading out now, will try and find my drawings for this....? when I get back.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

How did you come across these guys Steve?

I am intrigued by the 'cork' layers on either side of the birchply – is it in fact using natural cork particles?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I saw Dave @cafe67 had purchased some so gave them a go also.

Yes, some form of cork is applied

Am a big fan of neat ??

Cheers

Steve

CB985C94-0218-40C2-8AD8-75D1C2CF2D35.png

1 minute ago, Mendes said:

Hi Chris,

I saw Dave @cafe67 had purchased some so gave them a go also.

Yes, some form of cork is applied

Am a big fan of neat ??

Cheers

Steve

CB985C94-0218-40C2-8AD8-75D1C2CF2D35.png

Cheers Steve – yes I was checking them out and have oodles of my own custom-pressed 29mm voidless marine ply that I once used for shelves (now mostly replaced with various types of laminated bamboo).  Is the cork material hard or a bit compressible - like can you easily press your finger nail into it but it 'springs back' so to speak?  Just wondering what damping capacity it has.  

7 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

Cheers Steve – yes I was checking them out and have oodles of my own custom-pressed 29mm voidless marine ply that I once used for shelves (now mostly replaced with various types of laminated bamboo).  Is the cork material hard or a bit compressible - like can you easily press your finger nail into it but it 'springs back' so to speak?  Just wondering what damping capacity it has.  

Hi Chris, it’s quite firm, definitely cannot press in.

Some picks...

I have a spare if you would like to take away and look at....?

7EBADDB4-1191-4A5A-833A-25D5098D3F75.jpeg

A476DA51-535E-4D9D-A833-E9529C0D7254.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

Hi Chris, 

the cork material is ever so slightly compressible , you can push your fingernail into it back it springs back pretty straight away and leaves no indent. Maybe I'm pushing abit harder than Steve ?

The guys at AVC were pretty cool to deal with 

cheers Dave imageproxy.php?img=&key=6052995cfa95af68

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 2

I would say the 2 outside cork layers are bonded to the plywood then cut to the X shape together. 

If if you look through other shelves on their website, you can see they are solid "sheets" of the cork and plywood. Maybe some form of laminate ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

I would say the 2 outside cork layers are bonded to the plywood then cut to the X shape together. 

If if you look through other shelves on their website, you can see they are solid "sheets" of the cork and plywood. Maybe some form of laminate ?

I really only purchased them to tidy up my cables and they are great bang for buck for that.

Not sure about now ....that the AUD has got killed...?

• Like 1

On 09/04/2020 at 4:33 PM, perditioncitynz said:

The system I've left after selling everything off pre- baby arrival :D. Nice and compact first system i put together.

IMG_20200409_181858272.jpg

My Dad, long gone now, pretty much had that system at one time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

My Dad, long gone now, pretty much had that system at one time.

That's great :) It's a fantastic combination - SX-838 receiver, PL-12D turntable and CS-66G speakers. Not as fancy as the setups in this thread but it has a lovely sound and packs a decent punch for what it is - looks beautiful too and was happy to find all the different parts in mostly excellent condition. Will stay with me forever I'm sure :)

Thoughts on how those Isobaric’s sound very interested, they were my wand game speaker as a young one in the early 80s     Time moves on and never got to scratch that itch ( moved on to Quads and JBLs and .............

18 minutes ago, Chill3 said:

Thoughts on how those Isobaric’s sound very interested, they were my wand game speaker as a young one in the early 80s     Time moves on and never got to scratch that itch ( moved on to Quads and JBLs and .............

When i first got them they sounded....tired....

How they sounded when new I cant comment on ....but that Isobaric loading on these is quite something so long as you don't go to loud as the cabinets do come alive quite a bit....

could do with some internal bracing....imo..

Tase.

7 minutes ago, TDX said:

Then I thought I gave my little audiophiles some jobs to do, and the resultS aren’t subtle :D

B7F58B11-D83F-4842-8977-AE664AB3B5CD.jpeg
Ps: can someone rotate the picture for me? I never figured out how SNA rotates photos upside down. 

TRY THIS 

INVERTED.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To Top