My System Today

36 minutes ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

I must have hit the jackpot!

My better half loves my Quad ESL57's and Stax ELS's. 

I’m constantly on the cusp. But it’s a good thing. I have way too many mates that have no queen in their kingdom. And there kingdom is overran. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Still got the Beymas in place with the 6L6 SE UL Wine box amp. Changed the Xovers to 1st order Xing at 1K. 

7F6707F7-C7DD-4BCE-871A-419E945B303E.jpeg

You seem to tinker as much as me. Like the Googlebox socks.

Love valves and high efficiency speakers.

Another try out for you, bi amp those Beymas, works for me to match drivers output etc. etc.

Running tri amp all valves and all horns atm.

Just installed 4x  15" Beyma bass drivers into the Horn Bass boxes.

• Like 1

I sold a mate my pioneer amp (similar to this one) about 36 years ago and moved onto a Harmon. He used it home for years then took it to his factory where it was on six days a week 12 hours a day for the last 30+ years. He recently moved into a new factory and brought the amp with him. I was there the other day and it is still going. You can’t kill it. 

Occasionally one channel goes quiet and he touches the volume control and it pops back. The pots on the way out. He has tried other amps but says nothing sounds as good. Regardless of the sound the amp is bullet proof. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I sold a mate my pioneer amp (similar to this one) about 36 years ago and moved onto a Harmon. He used it home for years then took it to his factory where it was on six days a week 12 hours a day for the last 30+ years. He recently moved into a new factory and brought the amp with him. I was there the other day and it is still going. You can’t kill it. 

Occasionally one channel goes quiet and he touches the volume control and it pops back. The pots on the way out. He has tried other amps but says nothing sounds as good. Regardless of the sound the amp is bullet proof. 

I have another Japanese amp from the 70's Hitatchi receiver and I'm amazed how long they last. The parts seem don't want to die.  

• Like 1

After a long thread a few months back asking for help with a new system to go with my new 805s for my study I have finally had my new system delivered and I’m thrilled with it.

Luxman PD171a TT

Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge

Luxman EQ500 phono stage

PSaudio DAC (for when I get lazy and just want to listen to Roon)

Primaluna evo400 amp 

Atacama rack

Need to work on interconnects and need some new speaker cable and will probably get a power conditioner but all in good time. It’s funny, I built the system around the speakers (and integrated amp) and now I think the front end is so good that eventually I will change the amp and speakers. Oh....and I totally blew the budget ???

A big thank you to everyone who helped me along the way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Cigar nuke
  • Like 12
  • Love 2

14 minutes ago, misternavi said:

I have another Japanese amp from the 70's Hitatchi receiver and I'm amazed how long they last. The parts seem don't want to die.  

My Harmon blew a power transistor which was repaired OK. But then years later developed other problems. I sold it for parts - $20. 

3 minutes ago, Cigar nuke said:

After a long thread a few months back asking for help with a new system to go with my new 805s for my study I have finally had my new system delivered and I’m thrilled with it.

Luxman PD171a TT

Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge

Luxman EQ500 phono stage

PSaudio DAC (for when I get lazy and just want to listen to Roon)

Primaluna evo400 amp 

Atacama rack

Need to work on interconnects and need some new speaker cable and will probably get a power conditioner but all in good time. It’s funny, I built the system around the speakers (and integrated amp) and now I think the front end is so good that eventually I will change the amp and speakers. Oh....and I totally blew the budget ???

A big thank you to everyone who helped me along the way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Another nice and simple system. I’m surprised your tube power amp is not scorching the under side of the shelf. 

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

Another nice and simple system. I’m surprised your tube power amp is not scorching the under side of the shelf. 

Yes...I’m a bit worried about that too! But it is bamboo - it does get hot but so far, so good, no issues. Time will tell. Have only had amp on for max 3-4 hours. I certainly won’t leave it on for extended periods unattended or I might burn the house down!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cigar nuke said:

Yes...I’m a bit worried about that too! But it is bamboo - it does get hot but so far, so good, no issues. Time will tell. Have only had amp on for max 3-4 hours. I certainly won’t leave it on for extended periods unattended or I might burn the house down!

I wouldn’t leave the house with the amp on. The shelf will dry out and become more flammable over time. One way to fix it would be to mount a thin shiny metal tray underneath the self bottom up spaced off the shelf by a few mm. This will reflect the heat back down, be invisible and because it is slightly off the shelf, with an air gap, keep the shelf cooler. Easily done. 

• Like 1

Ok, so here’s a quick snap of my latest meanderings through this obsessive hobby of ours. 

It has taken quite some time to curate, but it seems that all good things do. 

For the better part of my time I have been tube amp & conventional speaker centric and I never would have thought that SS would do it for me... 

I happened upon a pair of the electrostatics pictured 12 months ago, got hooked and managed to piece together this entirely exclusive STAX system.

Fine tuning with the room and speakers position is yet to be done. But nevertheless, I am suitably impressed! 

F872669F-F29B-450D-BE06-B084D6760BDB.jpeg

Edited by Be Quiet...Listen
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

Ok, so here’s a quick snap of my latest meanderings through this obsessive hobby of ours. 

It has taken quite some time to curate, but it seems that all good things do. 

For the better part of my time I have been tube amp & conventional speaker centric and I never would have thought that SS would do it me... 

I happened upon a pair of the electrostatics pictured 12 months ago, got hooked and managed to piece together this entirely exclusive STAX system.

Fine tuning with the room and speakers position is yet to be done. But nevertheless, I am suitably impressed! 

F872669F-F29B-450D-BE06-B084D6760BDB.jpeg

So back to SS electronics. I’ve gone from tubes to class d. Very happy at this point. Won’t stop me making more tube amps for fun and temp. listening but the Ds  and Altec horns are just so good. Super clear and very dynamic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

So back to SS electronics. I’ve gone from tubes to class d. Very happy at this point. Won’t stop me making more tube amps for fun and temp. listening but the Ds  and Altec horns are just so good. Super clear and very dynamic. 

Not back to, exclusively, by any means. I am pretty damn happy with these amps. I have only heard one other pair of SS amps that suit my tastes. So these big brutes will be only SS amps I foresee keeping company with my tube gear.

Also, I managed to track down and import these amplifiers from the US and they are in fact STAX built, one-off prototypes. Class-A DC monoblocks. I have touched base with some good people from homeland Japan and this information has been verified.

So, it's a near on 100% likelihood that this full STAX system has never been hooked up and listened to before now. Chuffed to be the first!

• Like 1