Planning a new, dedicated room. Help!!

In May I move into my new house. In this house is a room which will (at last) be a dedicated audio room. It has a concrete slab floor and measures 5.5 x 3.9m  Not big but dedicated. I will be carpeting the room but beyond that and some furnishing, I have no idea how to approach treatment. Plaster walls, large sliding doors behind the listening position and probably only one chair. Equipment racks and record storage will be situated in the room but that's it for now. Any tips re materials, products, placement etc would be very gratefully accepted. I've seen posts re Polymax products etc but have no idea how to apply them in a room situation.

Cheers

M

When's the GTG @unclemack?? :party

The first thing in treating the room (once the carpet is in) is figure out what sound issues it has and what its general acoustics are then treat accordingly.

It might be worth getting an expert in to figure what the room needs.

I've been recommended this guy by someone very knowledgeable, might be worth checking him out or some of the other experts around.

http://soundacoustics.com.au/

Run a dedicated mains circuit for a start,30-40 amp. Does'nt matter what the gear is and get High quality GPO's for the wall.Make sure you have enough.(No double adaptors etc). If your using digital,remember to get your RG Cables in there as well. Keep all your alcohol in a cabinet that doesnt rattle, meaning rubber damping on the shelves. In regards to other stuff, I'm sure you will be advised by others.:party

• Like 2

Guest Peter the Greek

Similar size to my old room. Stereo or multi channel?

I like wide sound stages. So typically that means wide speaker placement, which in a room that narrow, means near a wall, which means you need to treat for SBIR. Quest's Q-Factor product is ideal for this (assuming good off axis response of your speakers).

The rest of the room....kinda depends on what you want and if its 2 or multi channel. I couldn't eq the pre-treated room flat for bass with 1 sub, the room was too messed up (build too solid - not good for bass). I've seen 3-4 other examples of rooms these sizes. My various (many) types of bass trapping fixed it, others with less trapping measures have used 4 subs to fix it......

The doors behind the MLP will be an issue. I'd replace with something that swings and you can hang a panel on....but thats me

My only suggestion is to treat anything that might potentially rattle or vibrate including the walls and ceiling and door as that's going to be your biggest issue! :thumb:

After that get everything in there and see how it sounds and as Martykt has already mentioned treat accordingly........Exciting times indeed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, unclemack said:

I'll have Duntech Crown Prince. Analog primarily. Mono bloc amps. I know I know. The room is too small for the speakers but tough. It is what it is. Ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with sitting near field to the speakers as long as db levels are average. Are you facing down the long length of the room. If so, 3.5 metres should be enough room considering the Princes arnt that wide themselves.

Get the best acoustic underlay UM for your carpet and if you can afford it, get purewool. Made a huge difference to my room which is smaller than yours>>.My Room

I sit single chair only as no room for a couch across the listening field and I'm about 3m from speakers. Drapes across the glass sliders would help but might be a pain to operate all the time if your in an out a lot.

Are you planning on treating for SQ or sound leakage? Big $$$ to sound proof the room and can create more issue for SQ inside. Probably too late anyway if this is a new build and even more expensive to retro fit.

My AV room is 3.9 by 6m so similar and I've put a lot of polymax around my screen and front "stage" area without the room sounding dead. You are welcome to come and have a look, was planning a to host GTG soon anyway.

Here's the showcase thread

Everyone is different but I HATE listening to music in my dedicated room, the isolation without a screen to watch makes me uncomfortable, so I have my 2ch system in the family room. The AV room was meant to be for music as well but I just couldn't stay in there for any length of time. If you can try your system in a bedroom before you move it may be worthwhile.

I would certainly plan the room with your rack on a side wall (nothing between your speakers) and if width allows it, I'd have your vinyl at first reflection points, but suspect the room may be a bit narrow for this.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

Sound treatments can come later. You have three strategies you can choose: 

1. Allow sound to leak out. 

2. Attempt to absorb all sound. 

3. Break up and scatter sound waves. 

In reality, whether sound will leak or be reflected depends on the wavelength of the sound, AND the thickness and density of the barrier it encounters. LF waves will simply pass through glass, but HF will be reflected. And then some waves will be stored in the glass and re-radiated at its resonant frequency. 

Which strategy you choose depends on your needs, really. You could get a great sounding "room" made from nothing more than four columns, no walls, and some carefully chosen panels for some reflection. But then your neighbours would complain, you would hear the crickets, and the lack of walls won't do much to keep the rain out. Having said that, allowing the sound to leak out is the easiest and cheapest way to deal with problem frequencies. It is better for the bass to get out of the room than to install thick, dense acoustic foam and deal with all the reflections. 

If you have neighbours who are likely to complain, or live next door to a carpenter's workshop, then you will want to absorb all sound (this also prevents sound from getting in). Explain to your builder that this room needs to be very quiet. They will recommend acoustic batts, double glazed windows, and special window and door mounts.

This will solve the problem of sound getting out (and absorbing some bass frequencies), but it will play havoc with reflections, especially upper frequency reflections. This is where you decide on acoustic treatments. 

In summary, until you have your room built and measured, it is premature to decide on acoustic treatment for walls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unclemack said:

Yeah. Long ways. I should be able to get 3.5 m. That's where I was sitting when I had them here.

Cool. Then just make sure you get your cables and wall fittings in first. Remember to locate the GPO's near where you are citing your gear.

10 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Cool. Then just make sure you get your cables and wall fittings in first. Remember to locate the GPO's near where you are citing your gear.

And run a dedicated power line from the switchboard to the room with surge diverter, RCD etc.

FWIW, one listening chair. A tad sad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unclemack said:

It is a sad life. But made better with good tunes. Getting a dedicated line sounds expensive. Is it?

Depends on where the Distribution Board is, but its very important.I've mentioned it further up the list. First thing to do.

If they havnt put all the gyproc in,it will be fine. Remember 30/40 amp circuit. And check out what else I said. Do it right the first time and your home and hosed bro .:party

Edited by Wimbo

Err, is your room upstairs or down? Do you plan to rip the wall cladding out and insulate?

What's your budget UM?

This info might save everyone time and yourself.

5 minutes ago, Luc said:

Err, is your room upstairs or down? Do you plan to rip the wall cladding out and insulate?

What's your budget UM?

This info might save everyone time and yourself.

He quoted concrete slab so I think we can safely assume downstairs.

21 minutes ago, blybo said:

He quoted concrete slab so I think we can safely assume downstairs.

Ah, I missed that, your right Neil.

I wont mention the obvious though like I have, which is a two storey house and part of upstairs is a suspended slab.

Yes the room is downstairs. Hadn't thought about insulating. Budget at this stage is probably small initially but I may have some funds in the coming months to play with. Carpeting alone is more expensive than I thought so once I move in. I'll know how much I can dedicate to treating the room. I think drapes along the wall behind me will be a safe bet as there are sliding glass doors the width of the room.