Woofer,s Dual Purpose Room.....Duntech Sovereign , Krell ,Manley Labs, JVC...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally fished my panels for the roof section. Panels are 900x800 and 12mm thick acoustic , i had these flock coated matt black. These protrude 2.25mtrs from the back wall minimizing reflections on the roof section. This has made a huge difference to contrast and colour.

Also added a pair of Energy speakers to the side surrounds and configured it as a 7.2 system.

Currently using the JVC DLA X7000 , but have a "NEW" JVC arriving   next week... :)

DSC_0431w.jpg

DSC_0433w.jpg

DSC_0435w.jpg

DSC_0436w.jpg

DSC_0439w.jpg

DSC_0440w.jpg

DSC_0441w.jpg

DSC_0442w.jpg

• Like 11

Yep, one of the best going around, no doubt...but...err...I gotsa say it...that couch doesnt appear to fit the calibre of the room.  

Now you need a fully reclining Italian leather 3 seater with drink cooler...   ;)

• Like 2

Slight mod..

Blacked out the entire "Front" Ceiling section. Added Black carpet to the lower front section... Much Much better, almost no extraneous reflections now. The difference this has made to Contrast and Colour is dramatic.

You dont realise just how much of your projected image is being effected by bright walls,ceiling/floor until you "Black Out". Cant wait to get the X9500 set up.

DSC_0078w.jpg

DSC_0080w.jpg

DSC_0083w.jpg

• Like 11

@wooferocau  great work

ps I would have gone a step further though...where your black carpet extends out to...I would have blacked out the side walls from there going up to ceiling. noticeable in the last photo posted

but depends kind of visual look impact going for as well I suppose :)

ps the other one to look out for is the wall right behind your listening position as it tends to reflect back onto the screen. way to check this is with a fade to black. pause and then using a little pen torch trace light on the back wall and see how much it impacts with reflecting back on the screen. can be quite telling. and in your dedicated room obviously will have the latitude to do things about :)

• Like 2

Well done @wooferocau . Using a similar thought process to my room in making a "stage" area in black to minimise reflections. The rest of my room is a strong latte colour and dark grey curtains. Each further step I did in painting/adding black carpet etc made very noticeable improvements.

I was painting my room in stages after kids went to bed each night whilst the room was still operational so we'd take a night off after each new section was done to note the difference, and it was SUBSTANTIAL each step of the way. Now I can't see someone 2 feet away with full sun outside despite 3 windows.

good point on the black carpet.  we too had the same looking light coloured carpet woofer that you have. we found quite a difference replacing with a charcoal carpet made even in my very non dedicated room setting :) 

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 6:26 PM, Kaynin said:

Yep, one of the best going around, no doubt...but...err...I gotsa say it...that couch doesnt appear to fit the calibre of the room.  

Now you need a fully reclining Italian leather 3 seater with drink cooler...   ;)

Leather lounges look great but not necessarily the best for sound I have found. The backrest/headrest can reflect the treble back into your ears and can make the music sound more trebley and harsh than otherwise. Thick fabric couch is better, ideally with no headrest. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, nicholas9976 said:

Leather lounges look great but not necessarily the best for sound I have found. The backrest/headrest can reflect the treble back into your ears and can make the music sound more trebley and harsh than otherwise. Thick fabric couch is better, ideally with no headrest. 

Interesting. You can always put a big blanket over the lounge and see how that goes.Ive got a leather lounge, so I'll try that later.

How good are the Sov's. Such a great loudspeaker when driven right.

Edited by Wimbo

Just now, Wimbo said:

Interesting. You can always put a big blanket over the lounge and see how that goes.

How good are the Sov's. Such a great loudspeaker when driven right.

You're right, but covering your Italian leather lounges with aunty's tartan blanket may detract from the chic aspect somewhat  ;)
I know, I have a pair of Sovereigns as well, driven by ME 1400 :D

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A few minor updates.

Painted the ceiling "beam" BLACK....

Repositioned my Centre speaker forward of screen, placed the Esoteric Amp  behind below the screen.

Added a couple of Gigawatt PF2 power filters.

Added " 2" Telos QNR,s

Added a Telos GNR

Added a Phillips "Air Purifier" ....does a terific job of minimising dust particles in the air.

Air-Purifier-and-Telos-QNR,.jpg

Gigawatt-PF2.jpg

Room-Front-#2.jpg

Room-Front.jpg

Telos-GNR.jpg

Telos-QNR.jpg

• Like 2