Yamaha B-2 V-fet restoration

vintagejapan

I am located in Japan

Hmm, yes I was wondering whether you are Japanese and living in NSW or the other way round......or....?

:wacko:

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Ok, next the most important stuff. The V-fets. I will install them using SIL-pads from Bergquist. Make sure to not mess up the position of the V-fets. I usually mark them, sometimes the rating is written on the back. Give them a good polish, they always sound "better" after that..attachicon.gifIMG_1609.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1610.jpg

The best part of the restoration. Re-seating the shiny fets on the clean heatsink..Sil-pads and not thermal grease for you I note. 

The three classic B-2 resto fundamentals addressed. The 458 transistors, switches and speaker relays?. A lot of guys think their B-2 fets have gone, when no output is heard. Often, not always, it is relays or switches that are the culprit..

No problems powering up after a full restoration. But not for the fainthearted. No variac on the vfets, Put her back together, into the mains, and switch on!!! --- and wait...listening for the cracking of the new parts as they warm up.....fun stuff...

• Like 1

The best part of the restoration. Re-seating the shiny fets on the clean heatsink..Sil-pads and not thermal grease for you I note. 

The three classic B-2 resto fundamentals addressed. The 458 transistors, switches and speaker relays?. A lot of guys think their B-2 fets have gone, when no output is heard. Often, not always, it is relays or switches that are the culprit..

No problems powering up after a full restoration. But not for the fainthearted. No variac on the vfets, Put her back together, into the mains, and switch on!!! --- and wait...listening for the cracking of the new parts as they warm up.....fun stuff...

Yes I did get lucky with this one. The last B-2 I did the meters had a fault. Took me 3 days to sort it out. Had to pretty much test everything on it to find a couple of resistors and a transistor that was bad.

The only way to do that is with the meter out and having extensions connected on the amp..post-136464-0-39767000-1456724507_thumb.

post-136464-0-15586900-1457001149_thumb.My favourite part of the whole thing, running the new components in, and listening to favourite tracks, with a cold beer, or a glass of some tasty beverage, the choice is yours!

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. Long live the B-2  :-) post-136464-0-19280400-1457001152_thumb.post-136464-0-38794900-1457001156_thumb.post-136464-0-68629600-1457001159_thumb.post-136464-0-88905400-1457001162_thumb.

• Like 6

Congratulations @@vintagejapan...sensational work..

I have enjoyed every post...you sir have knowledge & skills I can only dream of...

I would LOVE to hear one of your restorations...

Never been to Japan...now I have a bloody good reason to do so...

Thank you

Rob

Edited by Rob181
  • Like 1

I have enjoyed every post...you sir have knowledge & skills I can only dream of...

Thank you

Rob

Lots of reasons to visit Japan:

* The people are wonderful, friendly and polite.

* The culture is fascinating.

* The scenery in magnificent (75% of Japan is wilderness).

* Food is clean, well priced and excellent.

* Shopping is very interesting (stuff you never see anywhere else).

* The train system is incredible (in a good way - just avoid peak hours).

* I could spend months in Akihabara.

* Etc.

Just go. You will not be sorry.

• Like 2

Thank you

Rob

Thank you Rob, 

As Zaphod said lots of reason to visit Japan,

Tokyo and Akihabara is very interesting, lots of good shopping but also the country side is amazing. Some of the best highways in the world, tolls are pricey though.

Can rent a car and drive around but rail pass is the way to go if you staying for few days.

Hot springs down in Bepu Yufuin are amazing

I highly recommend Kyushu, on the south, food is fantastic and lots of scenery. Best time to visit if you not coming for the snow season is beginning of spring, mid March when the cherry blossom is on. 

Thanks for sharing & great restoration :)

Japan is great place to visit and I have been going there nearly every year in recent times to pay respects to my partner's family who live in the country side 2 hrs east of Osaka in a traditional 100 year old farm house not dissimilar to what you see in Samurai movies. It seems many of the truck loads of Aussie visitors are there for the skiing which is great value, but there is much more to Japan than that.

The family are keen on going to onsens (public hot bath houses) so I spend more than usual amount of time naked in the Japanese winter. I love the outdoor onsens! There's nothing kinky about it as everyone is natural unashamed and not embarrassed at all (male & female separated of course)

Agree with all that has been said and more:

Great to see in an age of homogenized globalization Japanese people, language & culture are strong, distinctive and independent;

The are places such as the temples and shrines that one would swear you are in Tibet, yet it is a modern hi tech country just outside;

Food and product quality is amazing;

Spend time in the beautiful countryside;

Time a visit when the Coming of Age Festival occurs for young people turning 20 - on that day there will be a sea of pretty ladies in public wearing colourful kimono's everywhere on that day;

Go hiking in the alps;

Visit Sea of Japan area across from Russia;

Great customer service e.g. if you fill petrol in the car you don't have to do anything, the service attendant will fill up, wipe your windows, check tires and stop the busy road traffic for you as you drive out while giving you a deep respectful bow and wave as you drive out, how's that for service!

Even something as simple as catching a taxi (though not cheap) is an experience - the door automatically opens, car is immaculately clean with white lace covers on seats, the professional driver wears clean white shirt/uniform pants/white gloves/hat, perfectly attentive & you get a respective bow at the end that you feel you don't deserve but feel great anyway;

Shopping in department stores the assistants will never bother you until you need assistance at exactly the right time - is it telepathy or something despite the language barrier - no just proper training and service

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

I have been enjoying the "burn in" of the B-2 for a few days now. Most of the improvement from the upgrades was noticed on the noise floor. The amp is now dead quiet.

My speakers are around 92dB sensitivity and can hardly hear any hiss with my ear at the tweeter. So more than ever detail is coming through, and the sound stage feels a lot more spatial.

After the amp is fully warmed up, usually takes around 1 hour for the B-2 the V-fets start pouring that magic on, just amazes me how good this amp is. Sound wise is classic Yamaha, nothing being exaggerated just put in a good recording and the B-2 is happy to teleport you right there at the venue or the recording studio.

The specs are not to shabby either, on a 20hz~20khz sweep on my audio analyser the distortion never went further then 0.01 

Check out this ranking on the power amplifiers, back on the days from Stereo Sound japanese magazine. post-136464-0-69054800-1457576105_thumb.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fantastic restore, your work and attention to detail is amazing, thanks so much for sharing,

Glad you enjoyed the work. The B-2 is singing together with a pair of Yamaha NS -1000 to new happy home.

More to come soon but that will be another thread :-)