Polymax Absorb XHD 100mm batts

• 2 months later...

How would Polymax compare to Fletcher Insulation F196 if I was limited to 50mm?

http://insulation.com.au/product/fi96-hdei/

I'm not familiar with Fletcher Insulation's F196 range. The scene has changed quite a bit since our group buy as CSR Martini now have an even larger range than before with XXHD Polymax Absorb products. Judging by the sound absorption coefficients of the two products (F196 50mm and XHD 50mm lets say), the F196 seems to beat the Absorb product by about 0.1 across the spectrum. Very interesting. I'd like to hear of anyone's opinions on it if they've ever used it. I can't believe i'd never seen it before, maybe it's new?

Has anyone recently purchased any Polymax HD? Doesn't appear on CSR Martini's site anymore... Looking for a Disty in Sydney

It's called Martini Absorb: http://www.csrmartini.com.au/products/acoustic-insulation-products/martini-absorb

Judging from my experience with them, i'd say the best distributor in Sydney is JamesBuildingSupplies. I had no trouble working with him on the group buy I did at the start of this thread and he was super helpful in getting everything sorted despite the complications that come with organising multiple orders into a single order for a company that generally oversees small orders.

I'm not familiar with Fletcher Insulation's F196 range. The scene has changed quite a bit since our group buy as CSR Martini now have an even larger range than before with XXHD Polymax Absorb products. Judging by the sound absorption coefficients of the two products (F196 50mm and XHD 50mm lets say), the F196 seems to beat the Absorb product by about 0.1 across the spectrum. Very interesting. I'd like to hear of anyone's opinions on it if they've ever used it. I can't believe i'd never seen it before, maybe it's new?

Thx for the quick response. I follow this up more tomorrow about availability and cost and update when I have more info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys, can somebody please answer this question? Is CSR Bradford Polymax the exact same product as Martini Absorb? Martini Absorb is sold as an industrial product and is subject to large MOQ, whereas it appears that Bunnings Warehouse can order in bags of 8 batts of Bradford Polymax. I called Bradford and they simply danced around the topic and eventually referred me to a distributor who didn't know the answer. 

From what I understand:

- CSR Martini used to sell Polymax in various densities between SD and XXHD

- CSV Martini now sells Absorb in various densities between SD and XXHD, which looks like the same product

- CSR Bradford now sells Polymax but doesn't list the densities

The data available for Polymax does not include frequency absorption coefficients but rather shows an overall sound absorption rating. It is not marketed in different densities but rather in different R ratings. This product is available to me. Martini Absorb, however has data regarding sound absorption coefficients readily available, which I've included. Unfortunately, I don't think that this product is available to me. 

I need to know if this product is essentially the same thing as Martini Absorb: https://www.bunnings.com.au/bradford-polymax-1160-x-580-x-90mm-acoustic-batts_p0811190 . I suspect it is basically Absorb HD. See the attached data sheet for Martini Absorb and Bradford Polymax. Hope somebody can help. Thanks.

Martini Absorb Datasheet 0416.pdf

polymax-brochure.pdf

17 minutes ago, lukeallison said:

Hey guys, can somebody please answer this question? Is CSR Bradford Polymax the exact same product as Martini Absorb? Martini Absorb is sold as an industrial product and is subject to large MOQ, whereas it appears that Bunnings Warehouse can order in bags of 8 batts of Bradford Polymax. I called Bradford and they simply danced around the topic and eventually referred me to a distributor who didn't know the answer. 

From what I understand:

- CSR Martini used to sell Polymax in various densities between SD and XXHD

- CSV Martini now sells Absorb in various densities between SD and XXHD, which looks like the same product

- CSR Bradford now sells Polymax but doesn't list the densities

The data available for Polymax does not include frequency absorption coefficients but rather shows an overall sound absorption rating. It is not marketed in different densities but rather in different R ratings. This product is available to me. Martini Absorb, however has data regarding sound absorption coefficients readily available, which I've included. Unfortunately, I don't think that this product is available to me. 

I need to know if this product is essentially the same thing as Martini Absorb: https://www.bunnings.com.au/bradford-polymax-1160-x-580-x-90mm-acoustic-batts_p0811190 . I suspect it is basically Absorb HD. See the attached data sheet for Martini Absorb and Bradford Polymax. Hope somebody can help. Thanks.

polymax-brochure.pdf

Hi Luke,

I'll write up a response to your question based on my experience with purchasing from CSR Martini and their Absorb products. I believe the answer is no based on the prior research I did while looking for alternate products with a lower MOQ, however it seems Bradford now had products that were not available when I last looked so I'll do some further research today and get back to you.

In terms of Bradford's other products, attached are the datasheets sent to me via a very helpful salesman at Bradford. I'm really interested in Polyester due to safety concerns so that sucks that Bradford Polymax isn't as good. If I can't make this work then I'll buy Knuaf Earthwool R2.7, 90mm. That stuff is at Bunnings and seems to be one of the best semi-rigid batts to absorb low frequency energy. 

Fibertex 350 0716.pdf

polymax-brochure.pdf

SoundScreen 0615.pdf

Supertel 1015.pdf

Ultratel 0609.pdf

Earthwool R2.7SHP_Acoustic.pdf

Edited by lukeallison

From just having a quick glance on my phone, the Bradford Polymax Acoustic Batts seem similar in appearance and their corresponding R values compared to Martini's. I have to look around on my laptop, but what partly confuses me is that Bradford provides a brochure for CSR Martini's Absorb products on their website. So surely they're affiliated? I would say that either way, the Bradford Acoustic Wall batts will be similar in performance to Martini's Absorb even if it isn't the same product. You would think that there would be some answers to get out of Bradford's support staff. It is a shame they don't give specific absorption coefficients for each frequency range.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, lukeallison said:

I can understand why they wouldn't want to disclose this information as they're trying to deceive people into thinking the two products aren't the same... Why the find it necessary to do that in the first place is beyond me. 

Well, they have to be affiliated in some way since the product page for CSR Bradford's Polymax has an MSDS brochure that is referring solely to Martini's 'Absorb' products. So in short, I would say they are the same product, just manufactured in a way that better suits general wall installation with generic sizes to suit. 

In terms of pricing: when worked out last year, each 1200x600x100mm panel to build was going to cost around $29 out of doubled-up 50mm. Per pack of 6 batts ($350) you could make 12x 1200x600x100mm panels ($29 per panel). With the CSR Bradford option, you will get (approx) 8x 1200x600x90mm panels for $126 ($16 per panel). Therefore it is significantly cheaper, so I assume its performance is lesser than the XHD we purchased. That is understandable since it is not being marketed at the same customer. I guess they're not giving the specific acoustic performance since it's not relevant to the targeted customer. So i'd say the Bradford Polymax is either Absorb MD or most likely HD. So it should be enough for your studio i'd say. You'll get 1st and 2nd reflection points on each wall, plus 2 clouds and 2 panels on the real wall of your room (if that's what you're going for) for $126, which I think is very good. Then a second pack will get you well into your bass trapping. 

• 1 month later...

Yes is the short answer. While it's dense relative to other insulation, it isn't that dense. It can be cut quite easily by most obvious methods. A table saw will provide a cleaner cut I imagine provided you can support the insulation as you slide it over the blade.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest Peter the Greek

Electric carving knife if the way to go IMO/experience.....still an ass

Edited by Peter the Greek

Electric carving knife if the way to go IMO/experience.....still and ass

?? What does ass mean in this context?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Guest Peter the Greek
5 minutes ago, Ugly said:

?? What does ass mean in this context?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

To cut and work with. Ultratel is like butter by comparison, its so, so much easier to work with......issues with fibre glass aside