Krell tech in Melbourne????

Guest yamaha_man

Guest yamaha_man

Can anyone recommend a tech in Melbourne to look at a high-end amp, anyone except Clarke Audio, l don't want the headache.

Cheers.

Edited by yamaha_man

Guest yamaha_man

What did he do to them?!

Replaced all caps with Jaycar type caps, marked both amps in many places and took over a year to get them back.

We are talking amps that back in the day were the same price as a modest American house and now still sell for $14,500UDS.

Guest yamaha_man

Tivoli Hifi reckon they have a good technician.

Might be worth checking out.

Haven't tried him personally but hopefully being associated with Tivoli Hifi means it will be professionally dealt with.

Had a friend take a Krell FPB-300 there and no result after many many months, think ill skip them but thanks for the advice.

Guest yamaha_man

Finding a tech that will service a high end SS amp in Sydney is the same - noone wants to do them. 

No one wants to or knows how? In the too hard basket, they want simple fixes they can turn over quickly and money from.

Finding a tech that will service a high end SS amp in Sydney is the same - noone wants to do them.

Nonsense.

[EDIT] I should amend that to:

* Few techs LIKE doing them.

* Few techs take the time to use quality materials and techniques required to do them.

* Service data for high end products is often difficult and challenging to obtain.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

Unfortunately Chris Kim is in Sydney otherwise I would give him my highest recommendation.

Eddie Lee says that even Chris Kim is not keen on doing them nowadays and is too busy with other projects. I am unsure if I would place my gear with someone who isn't so keen on fixing it.

It may pay to contact the Australian distributors for Krell products ; Audio Marketing P/L in Chatswood,NSW.    info@audiomarketing.com.au    and ask for their advice on the matter of approved repairers in Melbourne. I can understand the reluctance of  audio technicians not to take on all brands of equipment if they cannot obtain   service manuals and  spare parts.Some products are difficult to service  as a result of poor access and layout and others are just not an economical proposition to take on; particularly equipment that has a use by date that just outlasts the warranty period.

I think a site like stereo net should have a list of all repairers in each state. Even better would be a voting system. Whirlpool has this.

That would be a great idea, every now and again I come across techs I had no idea existed purely by chance.

Edited by Jesco