Currently Purchasing

Hi Tony,

I should be moved into the new house by June so I will be inviting SNA members around once I'm settled in. I haven't invited anyone around to the current place as the room is dreadful and being on Stud Road there is a lot of background noise.

I can email you a list of the cd's if you're interested in borrowing some to listen to in the meantime. I found I needed a spreadsheet to keep track of what I had (and to avoid duplicate purchases:rolleyes:, sometimes I forget what I already own)

Hello raptor,

I wasn't looking for an invitation as such, but simply complimenting you on some of your purchases and general awareness of new releases in the marketplace.

I could however host a small GTG at my home if you are interested with a jazz/ easy listening theme for an afternoon if half a dozen or so are interested.

Cheers Tony C

Hello raptor,

I wasn't looking for an invitation as such, but simply complimenting you on some of your purchases and general awareness of new releases in the marketplace.

I could however host a small GTG at my home if you are interested with a jazz/ easy listening theme for an afternoon if half a dozen or so are interested.

Cheers Tony C

I didn't actually think you were angling for an invitation, Tony, it's more my feeling that I have enjoyed a number of members' hospitality without ever reciprocating. I also have the ulterior motive of wanting to get feedback on the listening room from SNA members.:eek:

I'd certainly be interested in your suggestion and I suspect that you'd find plenty of other takers.

The offer of the email/loan still stands of course, unusually I don't have any out on loan at all right now.

I found I needed a spreadsheet to keep track of what I had (and to avoid duplicate purchases:rolleyes:, sometimes I forget what I already own)

He he.

I have seen Tony's impressive library displayed in his listening room

but I can't recall yours.

However, you've probably eclipsed his :eek:

Where do you find time to read reviews on the menagerie of music you buy,

or do you just buy on gut feeling?

cheers

k_

He he.

I have seen Tony's impressive library displayed in his listening room

but I can't recall yours.

However, you've probably eclipsed his :eek:

Where do you find time to read reviews on the menagerie of music you buy,

or do you just buy on gut feeling?

cheers

k_

I seem to be taking this thread off topic a bit, I promise this will be my last post like this:o.

I'm not sure how many albums Tony has in his collection but I suspect that it would be of similar size to mine, and I have 2,000+ titles. I don't know how many individual cd's that would equate to as there are a number of boxed sets.

I don't do much reading of reviews but I buy most of the through Amazon so I now get lots of recommendations from them and I check their new release and coming soon recommendations regularly. I do take a chance generally as I often buy without hearing anything from the album first.

I do look at reviews on Amazon and I focus on the lowest star ratings as I think that often their reviewers are over enthusiastic. I find it more valuable to see what people don't like about the album to make my decisions.

SNA GTG's are also a great way of finding new music.

When you came around in 2007 I only owned a few hundred cd's, my buying got out of control after I bought some decent equipment:rolleyes:. I also didn't have the racks at that stage [ATTACH]6267[/ATTACH]so they were scattered around somewhat. The photo was taken for insurance purposes about 9 months ago, I've pretty much filled them now.

Bit of a vinyl scrounge today-

c17cb220dca06aa80f4e2010.L.jpg

Ah, early Chieftains albums! I've been on the lookout for CDs of their first 5 albums for ages, to no avail. (I did actually locate some a few years ago in an Irish shop, but the asking prices were ludicrous - around $40 each, would you believe!) I have managed to get them all on vinyl though. Would still prefer to get CD copies, at sensible prices of course. (Apologies to all those who prefer vinyl, but I'm not a 'snap, crackle and pop' fan myself.)

• Like 1

G'day,

Today's swag:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24377&stc=1&d=1129222573

Frank Sinatra - "Capitol Records Concept Albums" - a 14 CD collection of Frank's "concept" albums from the 50s and early 60s, including classics such as "In The Wee Small Hours of The Morining", "Songs For Swingin' Lovers", "Come Fly With Me", "Nice N Easy", "Where Are You", "A Swingin' Affair", "Sings For Only The Lonely", etc. Nae too bad for $60, at Borders.

51SYCOAULQL._SS400_.jpg

Marillion - "Script For A Jester's Tear" - 2CD remastered edition. First CD from British prog-Genesis wannabees. This is probably one of the first CDs I ever bought (I was buying CDs before I had a CD player). Could not resist this $7.99 bargain at JB's

41C1FMPGR4L._SS400_.jpg

Haydn - "Requiem / Missa", performed by Choir of The King's Consort. I'm a sucker for a good requiem, and this 2CD was reduced down to $7.95 at Borders.

--Geoff

• Like 1

Marillion - "Script For A Jester's Tear" - 2CD remastered edition. First CD from British prog-Genesis wannabees. This is probably one of the first CDs I ever bought (I was buying CDs before I had a CD player). Could not resist this $7.99 bargain at JB's

--Geoff

Great debut album Geoff. Misplaced Childhood and Seasons End are another two Marillion cds worth a listen.

-Pat

G'day,

Great debut album Geoff. Misplaced Childhood and Seasons End are another two Marillion cds worth a listen.

I did in fact pick up the remastered "Misplaced Childhood" today as well (although just the single CD version this time; the extra CD didn't hold much appeal).

I'm now on the lookout for a cheap remastered "Fugazi" and I'll be happy (never a big fan of "Season's End").

--Geoff

• Like 1

G'day,

Today's swag:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24377&stc=1&d=1129222573

Frank Sinatra - "Capitol Records Concept Albums" - a 14 CD collection of Frank's "concept" albums from the 50s and early 60s, including classics such as "In The Wee Small Hours of The Morining", "Songs For Swingin' Lovers", "Come Fly With Me", "Nice N Easy", "Where Are You", "A Swingin' Affair", "Sings For Only The Lonely", etc. Nae too bad for $60, at Borders.

--Geoff

Hi

Looks good - but might be a bit difficult to get into the house sight unseen, and then to subsequently announce - Oh That? we've had it for years

Cheers

mick

G'day,

Looks good - but might be a bit difficult to get into the house sight unseen, and then to subsequently announce - Oh That? we've had it for years

Funnily enough, I'd forgotten about a Frank Sinatra 3CD set that I'd won on ebay last week (total price: $6; arrived in a $1 postpak box with $5.40 postage: go figure), which coincidentally arrived today.

So now when I play some Frank, I can say "Oh that -- it's that $6 3CD set I got off ebay".

Of course, this 75 song, 3CD set is called "The Best Of The Capitol Years", so I'm guessing it has all the best bits of the 185 song, 14CD set I just bought today. Oh well ...

--Geoff

• Like 1

Picked up some more records today:

Beatles_-_Red_Album_1962_1966_%28Front%29.jpg

and

The_Blue_Album_1967-1970.jpg

Just to add to the Beatles collection, the red and blue compilations.

434059761_471f3d22fe.jpg?v=0

Some Wilson Pickett.

14o3r6s.jpg

This is an acoustic recording of Buddy Guy and Junior Wells with just acoustic guitar and harmonica. Seems to be some sort of audiophile release so sound should be good. We'll see when I get a chance to play it.

DS

• Like 1

If I was more financial I'd be tempted to order this:

[ATTACH]6480[/ATTACH]

6 Super High Material(?) cd set but pricey.

Amazon link is http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Book-Kinks/dp/B001KNVJ60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236660369&sr=1-1

I'd need to know more details of what's on it but I don't currently have any Kinks material and I've always enjoyed their work.

Too bad my birthday is 9 months away:)

I really dont know why so many SNAers are hooked on Amazon.

Try here:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7770560

Almost half the price and it has the full track listing :)

Cheers,

Jake

If I was more financial I'd be tempted to order this:

[ATTACH]6480[/ATTACH]

6 Super High Material(?) cd set but pricey.

Amazon link is http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Book-Kinks/dp/B001KNVJ60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236660369&sr=1-1

I'd need to know more details of what's on it but I don't currently have any Kinks material and I've always enjoyed their work.

Too bad my birthday is 9 months away:)

Sale at Quality Records in Melbourne and I picked up a few new albums:

600px-David_Byrne_and_Brian_Eno_--_Everything_That_Happens_Will_Happen_Today_Album_Cover.jpg

Eno and Byrne: Everything that Happens will Happen Today - loved My Life in the Bush of Ghosts so I thought this was worth a try.

aplp034-45.jpg

Junior Wells: Hoodoo Man Blues

euros1427.jpg

The Best of Muddy Waters

All 10% off so why not. Was also tempted by Rolled Gold by The Rolling Stones as there are some early singles I don't have on that, but I would like to find the reissue of their singles which came out years ago, also tempted by Bryter Layter by Nick Drake as I have Five Leaves Left and it is very good.

DS

• Like 1