Currently Purchasing

I've been looking for this on vinyl for many years now and finally have a copy from Vinyl Space in Collingwood. This is one the greatest and most interesting Aussie hip hop albums with a fascinating mix of Australian and Cambodian musicians and samples, added vocals from Cambodian Space Project singer Srey Channthy. It's a unique album, and I'm so happy to have it on vinyl, and one of my best vinyl purchases for the year

astronomyclassmekongdeltasunrise1500x150

• Like 3

Now this sounds interesting.  Hadn't heard of this band.  Stumbled into them by some serendipity when following another musical breadcrumb trail. And after reading effusive reviews off popped the speculative purchase and now I can't wait to get home to grab these downloads and have a listen (and see whether my  apparently easily encouraged enthusiasms are misplaced) !

Elephant9  - Silver Mountain, Atlantis, Psychedelic Backfire 1 & 2

Image result for Elephant9 - Silver Mountain Image result for Elephant9 - Atlantis

Image result for Elephant9 - Psychedelic Backfire Image result for Elephant9 - Psychedelic Backfire

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/atlantis-elephant9-rune-grammofon-review-by-john-kelman.php

http://www.freejazzblog.org/2019/08/elephant9-psychedelic-backfire-i-ii.html

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/69675/Elephant9-Silver-Mountain/

https://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog/2019/08/16/elephant9-psychedelic-backfire-i-elephant-9-reine-fiske-psychedelic-backfire-ii/ 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/15-great-albums-you-didnt-hear-in-2016-110407/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/15-great-albums-you-didnt-hear-in-2016-110407/elephant9-with-reine-fiske-silver-mountain-110509/

https://www.treblezine.com/reviews/elephant9-psychedelic-backfire-i-ii-review/

https://www.echoesanddust.com/2018/03/elephant9-greatest-show-on-earth/

Edited by Dilettanteque
  • Like 1

On 09/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Pre Christmas purchases, some for self and a couple for others:

1106596092_LoweCountry.jpg.5b815ea05d4f440af180d95fb4949475.jpg  2022909693_PintofBlood.jpg.ae172800dfd5527d9fdc2b3b89325ee0.jpg

533280601_5Leaves.jpg.2a9066ece2a4cd6b2480e8e9901d4bc5.jpg  Who.jpg.cad4ddae9bbdc3146e15a977f2a2b17e.jpg

JJ   

Who plays on the Nick Lowe tribute

looks interesting 

is it country singers

Hi All,

A bit of a mix of styles, Country, Rockabilly, Slow Rock

15 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Who plays on the Nick Lowe tribute

looks interesting 

is it country singers

Tracklist
A1    –Caitlin Rose    Lately I've Let Things Slide    
A2    –The Parson Red Heads    Don't Loose Your Grip On Love    
A3    –Robert Ellis (2)    All Men Are Liars    
A4    –Amanda Shires    I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass    
A5    –JEFF The Brotherhood    Marie Provost    
A6    –Erin Enderlin    Lover Don't Go    
B1    –Hayes Carll    (I'm Gonna Start) Living Again If It Kills Me    
B2    –The Unsinkable Boxer    When I Write The Book    
B3    –Colin Gilmore    You Make Me    
B4    –Chatham County Line    Heart Of The City    
B5    –Lori McKenna    What's Shakin' On The Hill    
B6    –Griffin House    Cracking Up    
B7    –Ron Sexsmith    Where's My Everything?

JJ

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

A bit of a mix of styles, Country, Rockabilly, Slow Rock

Tracklist
A1    –Caitlin Rose    Lately I've Let Things Slide    
A2    –The Parson Red Heads    Don't Loose Your Grip On Love    
A3    –Robert Ellis (2)    All Men Are Liars    
A4    –Amanda Shires    I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass    
A5    –JEFF The Brotherhood    Marie Provost    
A6    –Erin Enderlin    Lover Don't Go    
B1    –Hayes Carll    (I'm Gonna Start) Living Again If It Kills Me    
B2    –The Unsinkable Boxer    When I Write The Book    
B3    –Colin Gilmore    You Make Me    
B4    –Chatham County Line    Heart Of The City    
B5    –Lori McKenna    What's Shakin' On The Hill    
B6    –Griffin House    Cracking Up    
B7    –Ron Sexsmith    Where's My Everything?

JJ

Thanks

Might Tidal it

looks like an Americana tribute

Or maybe a  Bloodshot Records tribute

Ill google it

On 07/01/2020 at 12:32 PM, Dilettanteque said:

Good find Dilletanteque. Sounds like its right down my alley. Love chasing those musical breadcrumbs. Has any particular album grabbed you?

12 minutes ago, patjoy said:

Good find Dilletanteque. Sounds like its right down my alley. Love chasing those musical breadcrumbs. Has any particular album grabbed you?

I think a good place to start is the 2 live albums Psychedelic Backfire I & II as:

• i feel they good examples of what the band dusts off to work for a present audience, shaping the intensity and drama of their works. Though it probably misses some studio subtlety unsurprisingly;
  • Vol I is just the core band and II brings in the partnership with the guitarist Fiske with two tracks same so you can hear the variety of 3 and 4 hand interpretations over a couple of nights 
  • they seem well recorded for live things so you don't lose much in terms of fidelity 

If you went with a studio album as starter I'd try Silver mountain .

I have come to this primarily through Norwegian jazz stuff (Henriksen, Aarset,  Molvaer etc) and some of their offshoot projects (like Supersilent , the keyboard player from which, Ståle Storløkke, is the Hammond/Rhodes monster in Elephant9 and the breadcrumb trail I followed) .  As suggested above similar pathways that took me to David Torn, Sonar, the BB&C.  While some of the jazz qualities and arrangements are present, I think Elephant9 probably sits more safely in the Prog genre.  A genre I don't normally listen to.  So i am an ignoramus in that field, but I sometimes feel "hmmm, I could see how Pink Floyd may have ended like this, early in their career, if they turned left rather than right, changed their chemicals of choice, met a Norwegian, etc. etc. " .  And it has been on high rotation in my car since doing the over enthusiastic mass purchase and download so that suggests genre isn't a problem!  :) 

The latest studio album (Greatest Show On Earth) is a departure - have listened once, have warmed to it less.  A more sinister and anxiety inducing thing.  Interesting for its difference nonetheless and where they may be heading.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Arrived with the delivery person late yesterday afternoon;

Reservoir Dogs OST                                                                        Bill Bruford, Gradually Going Tornado

Dogs.jpg.25495fb51365c98d6b20db0015288891.jpg   Bruford.jpg.0de15085ea707a679fe6af2cfc5d9eef.jpg

The Bamboos, Fever In The Road                                                       Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, The Firstborn Is Dead

Bamboos.jpg.73f63cc759597eaa3c58ec075b00881d.jpg  Nick.jpg.463cd75d62f09f57403e8b3fd8fbc261.jpg

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 5

20200127_141807-01.jpeg.f63e8588daface2a2451ba5bd3742f41.jpeg

Wandered over to the Lifeline Bookfest to yoink some bargains. The CDs above were $1 each, including:

Prince - Sign Of The Times 2xCD

Paul Simon - Concert In The Park 2xCD

Sting - Bring On The Night 2xCD

Beaux Arts Trio - 3 Classic Albums 3xCD

Gerard Willems - Solo Piano Music Of Edvard Grieg 2xCD

Leo Kottke - The Best 2xCD

Alan Parsons Project - Turn Of A Friendly Card

Frank Sinatra and Sextet - Live In Paris

I also got 5 classical LPs for $1 

Not a bad morning ?

Edit: turns out that I already had that Frank Sinatra CD ... that's $1 wasted. Wasted, I say!

--Geoff 

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 6

Went to dinner on Friday night at a friend's house who was playing from this:

Glenn Gould: The Complete Bach Collection.

R-3961574-1350749722-3896.jpeg.jpg

I had never heard of this release. I have typically felt that "Complete everything" collections are to critical listening as dirty bombs are to snipers as an effective way of targeting an objective incisively and neatly (unadvisedly unattractive metaphor, but hey it is early after a long weekend and the caffeine is not yet reaching full functionality).  Though I must say the Xmas delivery of the DG "New Complete Almost Everything Beethoven" brought a smile to my face (I liked that it has a number of different performances of key works that have seen quite different interpretations.  And it is a monstrously good paperweight).

So I thought,. "I am well under Goulded in my collection....just the obvious 2 Goldberg recordings and the Well Tempered Klavier ....so maybe i should .....".  So you know where that leads.  

The oddity with this is that Sony have apparently included all releases in which Gould plays Bach in their original form (if the album was released as Bach with Beethoven, that's what you get).  So some non Bach side cars (which is great to hear to embellish my understanding of him and his more classical era interpretations.

So I went searching a US$179 offer for second hand on Amazon US evaporated in 24 hours.  Everything else looking like  $500 to get here.  Amazon Aus is at $979 ?

Then up popped a propitiously timed and priced option on Discogs from Australia (I hope it isn't my friend) so now i will need to explain things at home before the box is helicoptered in (not something that blends into background!).  Looking forward to broadening my Gould listening beyond my thin attention to date

Edited by Dilettanteque
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

Glenn Gould: The Complete Bach Collection.

I have typically felt that "Complete everything" collections are to critical listening as dirty bombs are to snipers as an effective way of targeting an objective incisively an neatly.

That reminds me ... I have a Glenn Gould "The Complete Everything (aka Original Jacket) Collection" 80xCD box sitting on the shelf that I haven't listened to uncritically yet ?

--Geoff 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hired goon said:

That reminds me ... I have a Glenn Gould "The Complete Everything (aka Original Jacket) Collection" 80xCD box sitting on the shelf that I haven't listened to uncritically yet ?

--Geoff 

The boxed set conundrum.....many things one needs to listen to neatly packed with a surfeit of things one shouldn't be bothered by, all beautifully packaged in a format that makes it much more difficult to get to the music than the rest of your collection.  But a boxed set landing always seems to have a disconcertingly satisfying emotional value.

• Like 2

Not sure what took me back to look but the factory appears to have cranked up on an SRX vinyl version of these , with what some cognoscenti (well, opinionated punters) suggest will be a limited run [Discogs reports a Music Matters facebook post saying 500].  And hopefully will provide cheaper (no, not cheap, but cheaper) options than Discogs currently offers for the earlier 2019 release (which was not SRX vinyl).   I await the postman with an idiot grin (that's my grin, not his).

Image result for music matters blue train srx

Also these were dropped from the sky in vinyl form, which is badly timed as stereo is currently deconstructed due to internal painting.

Godspeed You Black Emperor! (before they moved their exclamation mark) - Lift Your Skinny Fists....etc.

Image result for Godspeed You Black Emperor lift your skinny fists Related image

The Cure - Head On the Door (reissue)

Image result for The Cure - Head On the Door

Edited by Dilettanteque
  • Like 2

Hi All,

Three arrivals today,

Eagles, On The Border,   Asylum Records    7E-1005    UK 2007

Mike Oldfield, QE2,   Mercury, Universal UMC    370 791-3    Europe 2012  180g White  

Wings, Over America,   MPL (2), MPL (2)    PCSP 720, 0C 154-98 497/8/9    UK 1976    

Buys.jpg.d533a92249018104a9974fefaec1c2a8.jpg

JJ

• Like 3

Hi All,

A few albums that arrived today, a mixed lot. 

The Flaming Lips, Greatest Hits Vol 1, for when I can't pick which one to play.

The Prog Collective, A double LP of various Prog artists, again for when I can't pick which one to play.

Ólafur Arnalds, re:member to replace a scratched copy

Albums.jpg.46031d577573fadeb0fd08e34c7e844f.jpg

JJ

• Like 4

On 15/01/2020 at 3:33 PM, Dilettanteque said:

I think a good place to start is the 2 live albums Psychedelic Backfire I & II as:

• i feel they good examples of what the band dusts off to work for a present audience, shaping the intensity and drama of their works. Though it probably misses some studio subtlety unsurprisingly;
  • Vol I is just the core band and II brings in the partnership with the guitarist Fiske with two tracks same so you can hear the variety of 3 and 4 hand interpretations over a couple of nights 
  • they seem well recorded for live things so you don't lose much in terms of fidelity 

If you went with a studio album as starter I'd try Silver mountain .

I have come to this primarily through Norwegian jazz stuff (Henriksen, Aarset,  Molvaer etc) and some of their offshoot projects (like Supersilent , the keyboard player from which, Ståle Storløkke, is the Hammond/Rhodes monster in Elephant9 and the breadcrumb trail I followed) .  As suggested above similar pathways that took me to David Torn, Sonar, the BB&C.  While some of the jazz qualities and arrangements are present, I think Elephant9 probably sits more safely in the Prog genre.  A genre I don't normally listen to.  So i am an ignoramus in that field, but I sometimes feel "hmmm, I could see how Pink Floyd may have ended like this, early in their career, if they turned left rather than right, changed their chemicals of choice, met a Norwegian, etc. etc. " .  And it has been on high rotation in my car since doing the over enthusiastic mass purchase and download so that suggests genre isn't a problem!  :) 

The latest studio album (Greatest Show On Earth) is a departure - have listened once, have warmed to it less.  A more sinister and anxiety inducing thing.  Interesting for its difference nonetheless and where they may be heading.

Well I got my hands on the 2 live albums and they haven't disappointed. Driving prog/psych/jazz/rock tunes where there is so much going on. In fact, listening to it in the car is where it works best for me. The interplay between the musos is excellent. Thanks Dilettanteque.

• Like 1

I decided against buying this remix album when it was released, because... it was a remix album. OK, it was remixed by Jane, with tracks from her two previous excellent albums but...

Then I listened to it. What on earth was I thinking?

It arrived today, double LP of quiet pink vinyl from this musical polymath

Jane-Weaver-LITSS-COVER-PINK.jpg?w=1500&

Hi All,

Having listened to an album posted in the "Vinyl Currently Spinning" area by @Tubularbells, listened to some Øresund Space Collective on Youtube and purchased two of their releases from Bandcamp: Experiments In The Subconscious (Feb 2020) and Slip Into the Vortex ( 2015) Space Opera / Prog Rock.

Experiments.jpg.20d7c01cd527545ac1d58de1b22cad4a.jpg

Vortex.jpg.2126589fed02705526c84e7ad4a627f4.jpg

JJ

• Like 6