My New Friends

Great work, Tax.

Any chance of adding names to the group pic?

The only one I recognize is the shady-looking character in the white T shirt in the middle.

Mate, I am all confused between SNA monikers and actual names, so I will leave it to the individuals to introduce themselves.

White T shirt in the middle is Kajak12, I am in front of the Monalisa, I think it is Calypso in front of me (didn't get introduced). To Kajak12's left is Stevenvalve and his wife.

Probably Kajak12 can update us with the SNA names once he has a chance to do so??..

I have been hard at it after the Sydney HiFi show and visiting Dragen and Stevenvalve and listening to their systems and listening to Kajak12's feedback.

Happy to advise that after some tweaking, I have managed to get another 20% improvement in my system. Better coherence, 3D presentation, ease of flow, better sound staging, speakers vanish totally. Where as before the singers had a head they now have a body to go with it :-)

I have been hard at it after the Sydney HiFi show and visiting Dragen and Stevenvalve and listening to their systems and listening to Kajak12's feedback.

Happy to advise that after some tweaking, I have managed to get another 20% improvement in my system. Better coherence, 3D presentation, ease of flow, better sound staging, speakers vanish totally. Where as before the singers had a head they now have a body to go with it :-)

Good news Tax looks like i have to visit Sydney before i head off to Tasmania next year,I think you should stop tweaking just in case i develop a lust for horns

The visiting "friends" stopped at another horn lover's place to hear the Altec's on their way up the mountains last night. Lansche Plasma Guy took the group photo, so unfortunately he is not in it.

I have just got back from Ozmillsy's place where we all had a lovely sunday BBQ lunch and chat..even had jerry tones drop in whom I had not met since I last visited him a couple of years ago. It was great to meet so many of the SNA members this weekend.

My thanks to everyone of you for making it an enjoyable and full on HiFi weekend. Travel back safely.

Ok i will put names to faces at a later date too much going on now.........(some people on the photo i have no idea who they are maybe they just walked off the street )

Edited by kajak12

Yes you need body other wise Frank Sinatra sounds like Micheal Jackson or in other words HiFI

That's massive Tax. Nice. What did you tweak or change to get the mid body?

Edited by jaspert

That's massive Tax. Nice. What did you tweak or change to get the mid body?

Decoupled the speaker spikes from the concrete floor. Ran only 2 silver ribbons to each tweeter, down from about 10 ribbons each. Removed the bypass capacitors in the tweeter. Repositioned the Townshend super tweeters. Ran the rest of the silver ribbons to the bass bins. Readjusted the subwoofer crossover higher. Running the midrange driver dipole by readjusting the rear chamber of the horn.

Decoupled the speaker spikes from the concrete floor. Ran only 2 silver ribbons to each tweeter, down from about 10 ribbons each. Removed the bypass capacitors in the tweeter. Repositioned the Townshend super tweeters. Ran the rest of the silver ribbons to the bass bins. Readjusted the subwoofer crossover higher. Running the midrange driver dipole by readjusting the rear chamber of the horn.

Thats a cheap tweak :thumb:

Cool. Just like working on a highly tuned machine, a few % here and there adding up.

Interesting to note you the run the mid range driver dipole. Do you gain some and give up something in the process?

Interesting to note you the run the mid range driver dipole. Do you gain some and give up something in the process?

Great question JT!

Yes, I give up a bit of pin point localisation but gain in coherence, large soundstage and musicality that 'flows'.

Great question JT!

Yes, I give up a bit of pin point localisation but gain in coherence, large soundstage and musicality that 'flows'.

I was curious of your impression as I use my horn loaded Coral beta drivers without a back chamber and I feel about the same away when I experimented with crude back chamber.

I'm not obsessed by pin point imaging, much rather a more open and extended soundstage in my small room. More "live" sounding to me especially with good live recordings.

Changed the capacitors in the amps to Duelund VSF.

5 1/2 hours of non stop listening :-)

Happy with the sound.

Kajak12 tells me there is mor to come after break in.

Edited by Tax

Tax,

What caps did you replace? AN's?

Yes, but let's keep things in perspective as the Duelunds are 2.5 times more expensive and the Auio Notes have more detail which would suit some systems.

Yes, but let's keep things in perspective as the Duelunds are 2.5 times more expensive and the Auio Notes have more detail which would suit some systems.

An interesting result, Taksil. I can't help but wonder if the Duelunds are subtracting from that which is on the silver or black disc or if the Audio Notes are adding something which is not, maybe it is a bit of both? Of course none of this changes your personal preference for one over the other which is the one thing that can never be argued in the world of audio.

One must be careful when ascribing increased "detail" to a component since a skewed or aberrant frequency response can lead one to draw a false conclusion, at least according to John Atkinson in the world of loudspeakers.

An interesting result, Taksil. I can't help but wonder if the Duelunds are subtracting from that which is on the silver or black disc or if the Audio Notes are adding something which is not, maybe it is a bit of both? Of course none of this changes your personal preference for one over the other which is the one thing that can never be argued in the world of audio.

One must be careful when ascribing increased "detail" to a component since a skewed or aberrant frequency response can lead one to draw a false conclusion, at least according to John Atkinson in the world of loudspeakers.

Not sure Mate!

I just subscribe to my ears and what I like best (at the time). I recall reading an article where the Micro Seiki Engineers back in the day were attempting to excite and harmonise the materials used in their TT's.

Capacitors come in various materials so who knows what is happening in there. As for additions and subtractions..we are all prisoners of the person who had access to the mixing console on the day of the recording. We hear what he/she wanted us to hear, what felt good to him/her at the time. So if a capacitor adds or deducts a bit I really don't care as long as it sounds good to me.

The VSF's do get better with run-in, I can vouch for that.

Running some Art of Noise on Vinyl right now...not quite at the Shpongle volume but nearly there ;-)

Should open em right up..lol

Back from Perth! Thanks to Kajak12 and Grimmie for letting me hear their systems, and Rab for making the conference less boring by talking audio :D

Kajak12`s System and the record shop I came across in Freemantle.

post-104400-0-96178000-1352515571_thumb.

post-104400-0-57073400-1352515719_thumb.

post-104400-0-72208100-1352515858_thumb.

post-104400-0-72384400-1352515964_thumb.

post-104400-0-62947000-1352516101_thumb.

post-104400-0-11986800-1352516228_thumb.

post-104400-0-71369400-1352516348_thumb.

post-104400-0-83551500-1352516524_thumb.

post-104400-0-74782500-1352516658_thumb.

post-104400-0-55728700-1352516770_thumb.

• Like 1