Atmos and 3D audio Adventures

Haha glad you're enjoying it. It was difficult not to gush but I wanted to leave my mouth shut so as to not spoil the experience :)

The gothic horror genre certainly can take full advantage of positional audio with a huge old house the perfect physical environment for rendering awesome audio effects.

hehe what an amazing movie...for me the epitome of cinematic experience ! i think am safe to say THE best sound track have heard to a movie. how brilliantly used ! awesome indeed ! and then such gorgeous pictures and a story that kept on edge. amazing stuff 

del toro really doesnt disappoint :)

if that was gushing ...who cares hehe

• Volunteer

am looking forward to watching movies like spectre again kazz. great to hear neural-X does a treat with stuff like this…main attraction of DTS-X I think the huge back catalog of dts-hdma movies we have. great to hear you had mr and mrs curious over :)

jupiter ascending….flogged it off…like pacific rim… :D

Sorry Al completely forgot to reply, Neural:X seems to work quite well, we used it last night for The Force Awakens and it did quite a good job.

Yep now that Curious has no HT setup we try to have regular movie nights so they can still  enjoy the HT experience.  :D :D :D:P

Sorry Al completely forgot to reply, Neural:X seems to work quite well, we used it last night for The Force Awakens and it did quite a good job.

Yep now that Curious has no HT setup we try to have regular movie nights so they can still  enjoy the HT experience.  :D :D :D:P

Ah excellent ! I got force awakens too $23 at big w just said buy me ! Good to know neural X did the trick with that too. Looking forward to watching that one. Good to know you administering regular dose for curious to maintain the ht passion :D

• Volunteer

Ah excellent ! I got force awakens too $23 at big w just said buy me ! Good to know neural X did the trick with that too. Looking forward to watching that one. Good to know you administering regular dose for curious to maintain the ht passion :D

It's a dirty job but someone has to keep him enthused.................... :P :P :P

• Like 1

• Volunteer

For those with D & M receivers I have just read this on AVS from JD Smoothie (who is the AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz)

My contact at D+M has confirmed that all of the 2015 D+M models that are receiving the DTS:X update will also receive the capability for cross format upmixing (ie. DSU on DTS audio and DTS Neural:X on DD audio) later this year. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2021353-official-2015-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-hdcp-2-2-a-249.html#post43150754

Edit: So it will be interesting to be able to compare upmixers on various non Atmos/DTS:X tracks.

Edited by Kazz
  • Like 2

@Kazz @Lil Caesar

kazz I know you have checked out star wars, lilC not sure if you have. 

checked out this evening. one hell of a potent track ! 

one curious thing though ..... its dts-hdma 7.1 track am finding is upmixing whether I apply neural X or not ?? you guys finding this as well ?

see my screen shots below, this is with the marantz menu, I imagine denon would be same ?

so e.g. below is screen shot...just selecting the native dts-hdma audio track, menu shows,

25801599884_34162f3e97_b.jpg

which is a little strange I would have thought as I wouldn't expect to have the marantz upmixing into the 3D audio channels unless I selected neural X ? 

so I then selected neural-X from the menu to up mix...and of course as can see from the marantz display now while it shows neural x being added of course the output channels no longer change and still show upmixing.

25803671123_1e71a6f63e_b.jpg

you guys notice this ?

does this mean with tracks like this there is no need to select neural X and by nature DTS upmixes ? am confused :D

ps kazz am also confused since I read someplace you were finding the track quite quiet needed to crank up a bit. am literally finding the opposite quite explosive ! 

i'll get a bit more chance to crank tomorrow maybe getting a bit late now ! 

@@Kazz @Lil Caesar

kazz I know you have checked out star wars, lilC not sure if you have.

checked out this evening. one hell of a potent track !

one curious thing though ..... its dts-hdma 7.1 track am finding is upmixing whether I apply neural X or not ?? you guys finding this as well ?

see my screen shots below, this is with the marantz menu, I imagine denon would be same ?

so e.g. below is screen shot...just selecting the native dts-hdma audio track, menu shows,

25801599884_34162f3e97_b.jpg

which is a little strange I would have thought as I wouldn't expect to have the marantz upmixing into the 3D audio channels unless I selected neural X ?

so I then selected neural-X from the menu to up mix...and of course as can see from the marantz display now while it shows neural x being added of course the output channels no longer change and still show upmixing.

25803671123_1e71a6f63e_b.jpg

you guys notice this ?

does this mean with tracks like this there is no need to select neural X and by nature DTS upmixes ? am confused :D

ps kazz am also confused since I read someplace you were finding the track quite quiet needed to crank up a bit. am literally finding the opposite quite explosive !

i'll get a bit more chance to crank tomorrow maybe getting a bit late now !

Hiya Al, am yet to pick up my bd of tfa but I'd have thought that it would only do the neural x thing if you selected it, otherwise would/should default to clean 7.1 reproduction. Having said that, I've got my marantz to upmix all legacy surround to either dts neural x or Dolby surround when in normal audio mode - will only do clean playback if I select the pure output mode.

It's also possible that although the disc doesn't carry dtsx metadata per Se - that the dsp picked up some "rogue" cues from the initial read of the disc....:)

Edited by Lil Caesar
  • Like 1

thanks lil C yes am a bit confused. maybe its like dts by default used to up mix to 7.1 even if a 5.1 track. and now if a 7.1 track it upmixes...whether asked to or not ? strange.

you are in for a treat with just what little I watched. one hell of a track and excellent picture ! 

• 2 weeks later...

interesting note from kbarns with regards uhd blu-ray release and 3D audio...

"The studios have announced it themselves. Sony, for example, have said that all their UHD discs in future will have Atmos soundtracks. The easy way to check this out for yourself is to look at new releases with Atmos - are the Atmos tracks only on the UHD disc or on the accompanying Blu-ray disc? I think you will find it on the UHD disc only.

Re-releases also, for example, are featuring Atmos on the UHD disc but not on any Blu-ray release. For example, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Concussion, Hancock, Ender's Game are all movies I am enjoying in Atmos which cannot be found on Blu-ray with Atmos."

watched part 1 of Hamilton on blu-ray,

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Agent-Hamilton-1-and-2-Blu-ray/69483/

caught me completely by surprise the sound track. its just a dts-hdma 5.1 track and by default I ran neural - x on it. goodness ! neural does amazing things with it filling out to the 7.1 rears and using the height speakers in a very enveloping sound stage. very apt to the way it works. quite impressed really ! 

• 2 weeks later...

headsup on another mind blowing 3D audio movie track...been checking out a bit of "Revenant" on blu-ray.... this isn't even native 3D audio....ie am using neural - X to decode a 3D audio mix off its dts-hdma 7.1 track.

check out the forest scenes where theres stuff buzzing around. creaks and cracks of twigs around...the trickle of the brook/stream. there is a completely amazing scene... the one where the gets are paid off in the hut... the guy gets up walks to the back left of the hut then goes up some stairs and to the floor above...wanders/walks around up there then heads back to the stairs comes down and then walks back across the hut to table....and all the time you follow his images across the room up the staircase on the floor upstairs and then hear him make his way back following his footsteps in space above below to the sides ! amazing use of audio ! if they ever do a true 3D audio track for this can it get any better ?

• 1 month later...

Prometheus

prometheus-blu-ray-dvd-prombdrgb.jpg

another example where a base dts-hd ma track ups maples amazingly with neural - x

quite a bit of wow ! 

stunning sound track... man it really makes me wonder though if they get around to doing a native 3D audio track for it ..... :) 

....a case of trash and treasure ;)

Watched Michael bays' TMNT this evening on bluray. It features an atmos soundtrack.

Bombastic brilliance at its best. Dynamic range and locational details in perfect auditory harmony at ninety decibels :)

This was followed by the low-key slow burn tragedy of legend - Tom hardy's excellent representation of the Kray twins.

Also an atmos soundtrack. In this case '60's music driven audio and minimal "effects".

Wow. Atmos can do subtle. And music. Superbly.

• Like 1

Last nights' fare was imagine dragons' smoke and mirrors concert recorded in Toronto.

This is, I believe - the first live music performance to be mastered in Dolby atmos and released on bluray.

A real ear opener. A new approach to recording is for sure.

The audience ambience was not given the usual wraparound treatment with slight rear channel exageration to influence the "like you're are in the crowd" effect common in many Rock concert recordings.

The front stage took precedence with good stereo representation across the l/c/r array with the vocal mix clear and articulated at all times.

The move to atmos definitely removes the channel pan and steer sensation and my attention was never drawn to the rear, side or height channels unless something was happening in the performance or arena that warranted that kind of directional focus.

True immersion :)

The thing I don't quite understand is the bass... Freaking amazing and a definite sub torture test however it seems like the producers went for genuine venue acoustics combined with directional mics on the drums.

The effect is the intitial impulse and slam from the instruments followed almost instantly by the deep muffled bellow of the first order reflected harmonics generated by the sound reinforcement PA system within the arena. Took a bit of getting used to and to be honest I'm not sure I liked it.

Be curious to hear other people's opinion should they acquire this disc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

a bit of an unusual find here....

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot-Blu-ray/152141/

152141_large.jpg

a bit of a funny take on the afghanistan thing, needs reporting in this 3D audio thread as this is one hell of a surprise in the audio stakes ! 

it has a DTS-X 11.1 sound track ! :D  and a very good one at that. got all sorts going on around you...even some pretty amazing bass effects etc ... including in the music. 

quite an enjoyable film.

ps region free from the us to boot ! 

Prometheus

prometheus-blu-ray-dvd-prombdrgb.jpg

another example where a base dts-hd ma track ups maples amazingly with neural - x

quite a bit of wow ! 

stunning sound track... man it really makes me wonder though if they get around to doing a native 3D audio track for it ..... :)

So if it is not native 3D audio, how do you upscale it to 3D sound?

So if it is not native 3D audio, how do you upscale it to 3D sound?

yes definitely as per lilC it does it automatically.

on the marantz there is a "sound mode" buttons e.g. movie which if toggle through will give you available options. if just leave on setting to upsample  then that what it always does by default and to great result I would say e.g. even with everyday TV and am finding with a lot of legacy material going back :)

Can you guys give me a few names for films with Atmos 3d/Blueray.

Seen Prometheus, so that's out.

prometheus does not have a 3D audio track.

this thread in itself  too has quite a few listed if scroll 

I also posted some in the link below when checking out my setup with a bit of material ,

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/59834-where-the-divas-sing/?p=1586752

do you have a uhd player ? as most of the uhds these days are coming with 3D audio tracks :)

prometheus does not have a 3D audio track.

this thread in itself  too has quite a few listed if scroll 

I also posted some in the link below when checking out my setup with a bit of material ,

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/59834-where-the-divas-sing/?p=1586752

do you have a uhd player ? as most of the uhds these days are coming with 3D audio tracks :)

Thanx, no UHD player, waiting for the market to be populated. As far as I know there is Sammy and very new Pany.

Just had my first taste of a Dolby Atmos test disc on my second system 5.0.2 Denon 1200 and am now on a misson to do the Home Theatre room up to 7.1.4. Brilliant stuff, same smile was on my face as when I watched T2 on laserdisc in Dolby Pro-Logic.

• Like 2

Just had my first taste of a Dolby Atmos test disc on my second system 5.0.2 Denon 1200 and am now on a misson to do the Home Theatre room up to 7.1.4. Brilliant stuff, same smile was on my face as when I watched T2 on laserdisc in Dolby Pro-Logic.

Still ongoing installation. ceiling speakers are nightmare to install but will get there.

Still ongoing installation. ceiling speakers are nightmare to install but will get there.

post-113667-0-90224100-1445313677_thumb.
I plan on doing a 5.1.4 by moving he back surrounds up and angled down, move side surrounds further back and install 2 in-ceiling speaker between front and back seats. thoughts?