Where the Divas Sing

Good job Al :)

I won't be cutting holes on my 100 year old tin ceilings in a hurry.

Just 2.1 for me now! :)

thanks GM,  100 year old tin ceilings wouldn't be making any holes either :)

My wife said I bounced off the concrete like a big fat beach ball.

Nothing broken except pride. Bruises upon bruises though.

good to hear you are all ok...bouncing even :D d@mn ladders ! 

GM you haven't recreated your awesome home theater room up north?

I sold our previous home with home theatre 100% intact, including all decor, furniture, screen, speakers, subs & all equipment. Even the 6 x cinema light boxes!

Move in, sit down, shut up and hang on ;)

Moving to a 105 year old house that is literally half the size doesn't allow for a home theatre.

But i do have a turntable in my shed :D

• Like 1

The evolution of your system Al is fantastic to watch. Can't wait to hear your thoughts when the proper content is pumped through!

thankyou Kaynin,

have had a bit of a chance to check out some stuff in deed.

following the atmos demo disc and a couple of 3D audio music discs I checked out earlier I thought to give a few movies go.

first up unbroken.... the US edition of the blu-ray that comes with a Dolby Atmos sound track

Unbroken-BR-3D.png?itok=5eEA0bsE

the first 20 min or so is a scene where a bomber crew in WW2 are gong in for a bombing run. I've watched this scene before and its a cracking sound track. Well Atmos sure does add very nicely ... in an interesting way. First up this is most awesome have had my system sounding. With the bomber heading over the target and the flak starts going off the sound appears now to come from the exact point of where the explosions are onscreen. Atmos wiht the ceiling speakers raises the whole sound stage about mid room which is fantastic with my projector screen at that point. and the same goes with the flak that is going off around the plane its picked out in space very well by atmos. similarly when the japanese zero fighters pounce and with the guns chattering all around the plane, bullets whizzing through, shrapnel, planes buzzing past....its just so much going on and the audio very much keeps up and adds so much to the effect to support whats going on ... on screen. supremely impressed. wow !

next up watched mockingjay part 2 the latest local release of the hunger games films with its atmos sound track,

167250-L-LO.jpg

the first full atmos film have watched on my system. I understand now why they call it ATMOS. its about the atmosphere 3D audio creates. e.g. when mockingjay is walking upto shoot the arrow...the beat of the drums resonate off the ceiling all over the room...quite a grand scale of sound it creates...

its also simple things ...eg when they are holed up in hiding...the mortars going off above go off above using the height speakers.... really feels right above you.

similarly when I popped in american sniper with its atmos track,

137669-L-LO.jpg

captures so well the atmosphere of the opening scene with the tank and troops heading in...wow its like you are there on the streets. Like the shoot out scene when they corner the insurgents ...puts you right in the midst of all the action. bullets whizzing around and action all around you.

my next film was the martian... in 3D ...

162281-L-LO.jpg

this movie doesnt come with a 3D audio track but I thought I would use the upmixing feature where its dts-hd master audio track allowing it to be upmixed to watch in 11.1 3D audio utilising DTS-HD & what they call Neural - X

nicely done. again its about scale and atmosphere and neural-X like atmos does well here making a room filling experience putting you right in the midst of things.

Lastly thought I would checkout a real favourite of mine... of course MAD MAX ! :D

145529-L-LO.jpg

hooley ! Dooley ! this is a cracker of a track as it is ...but my goodness you have got to experience this one in Atmos !

quite amazing e.g. the whispering that goes on in the opening scene....it comes at you from all over the room all around you. quite spooky. and then when it winds up...talk about scale, impact, details ... boy it is stupendous ! even the bass is such room filling coming at you from all angles. again you are put right in the midst of things, right in the scene.

am really enjoying this 3D audio thing....to a great deal I think it creates a link between ears, eyes and brain... creating this atmosphere adding all the more to the enjoyment of what you are experiencing in a movie. its very seamless though. love the way its done. its not in your face making it feel fake in effect or anything sticking out like a sore thumb. very nicely done.

cant wait to check out more movies with 3D audio...and I have a few in my collection that have watched previously without 3D audio...so cant wait to rediscover :)

• Like 3

...First up this is most awesome have had my system sounding...

Wow, like many others, having heard your system this is a big call considering how wonderful your system was pre-ATMOS - evidently it must be in credible to experience.

I've seen Unbroken, Mad Max, American Sniper and Martian.  I recall the audio effects you're describing in each of the movies.  American Sniper is absolutely superb with its audio, and that's on my measly system!  Mad Max is excellent too, the voices would be great coming from different angles.  Unbroken has its audio moments too as you describe, also the Japanese bomber when they're in the boat.

Inspiring Al, great work.  :thumb:

Edited by Kaynin

Wow, like many others, having heard your system this is a big call considering how wonderful your system was pre-ATMOS - evidently it must be in credible to experience.

thanks kaynin, yep had me sitting entering the flak in unbroken going F - me this is amazing. 

I've seen Unbroken, Mad Max, American Sniper and Martian.  I recall the audio effects you're describing in each of the movies.  American Sniper is absolutely superb with its audio, and that's on my measly system!  Mad Max is excellent too, the voices would be great coming from different angles.  Unbroken has its audio moments too as you describe, also the Japanese bomber when they're in the boat.

Inspiring Al, great work.  :thumb:

its hard to explain in some ways what atmos adds. with the flak for instance it adds substance. just more real. yes the japanese bomber scene is another good one... with the straffing and also when he goes under water with the bullets overhead and passing by. 

both unbroken and mad max are just so good audio. its blindingly good how amazing sound tracks on movies have got. very surprised mad max didnt win an oscar or something for its use of audio.

• Like 1

I found American sniper to be lacklustre in its atmos :/

Mocking jay was a terrible movie but the atmos effects were pretty good!

I need to up the speaker level of my overheads a touch, I know it's the way it's supposed to work but I could only JUST tell there was sound coming from the speakers. It seems counter intuitive but I sort of want to know they are on lol.

I found American sniper to be lacklustre in its atmos :/

Mocking jay was a terrible movie but the atmos effects were pretty good!

I need to up the speaker level of my overheads a touch, I know it's the way it's supposed to work but I could only JUST tell there was sound coming from the speakers. It seems counter intuitive but I sort of want to know they are on lol.

hehe they are supposed to be subtle rather than in your face I think. infact its the seamless nature of it how works in with everything else thats really surprised me. but never mind nothing wrong with playing around to get how you like it .... thats important thing at end of it :)

oooh ...  look what turned up...

26154423772_50fcc9eee0_b.jpg

"MIT Englischem ton in auro3D native" it says on the little yellow sticker :D thats a good thing with what little german I know hehe

quick pop in the disc confirms auro3D native and with TS (voice of god channel)  :)

26220858806_201bf0de41_b.jpg

look forward to checking this out in full flight :)

• Like 2

Thats punny!

Those planes are going to sound fantastic!

watched red tails over the last couple of evenings ...

...been a very interesting experience over atmos and DTS neural-X have watched otherwise.

while there are some similarities there are also some quite distinct difference with auro3D vs the others.

similarity in that there is a very full front stage...steering of sounds around is very distinct in space. also quite a bit of definition and punch to bass and sub bass which I have picked up with atmos tracks as well.

one key very noticeable key difference ...while atmos uses rear surrounds ...auro3D doesnt and hence auro3d is a touch more front heavy in sound stage....however auro does also use not only the 4 height speakers but also the TS or VOG(voice of god speaker) thats positioned right above the listening position. this gives a very obvious perception of height and effects above. more distinct than atmos. 

so a different feel to things with auro3D. very effective it was for red tails. fighters diving from above. bullets and planes whizzing through.

i have watched red tails a long while before and last time around I thought ... ok...but I have to say this time around have really enjoyed it ! 

audio wise a real treat ! enveloping sound stage putting you right in the midst of things ... loved it 

I think found another demo disc here hehe and I think am going to be digging out more movies like memphis belle...and u571 and Das boot ! oh yeah :D

• Like 1

with the heads up that local release of crimson peak has a DTS-X sound track 

Crims.jpg

and being a del toro fan... dropped around to local jb and grabbed a copy. and yes it has the dts-X symbol on the back :)

popped in...

it comes up as dts-hdma 7.1 as audio track for selection. which then shows DTS-X as audio decoded :)

curiously while showing a dts-X source as sound track only decoding through to front two channels and sub three ? 

26252077271_272748d4dd_b.jpg

so decided to hit the sound mode "movie" to look at choices...dts-X was there and soon as hit it wow room filled with sound and then showed full decode of 3D audio dts-X rather than just the L& R mains and sub. not sure what the go was...but a very enveloping mix now using all the sound channels :)

26252096221_beef5b2d6b_b.jpg

look forward to watching...nursing a cold here so good way to while away the next couple of hours :D

well I watched an hour of it....half way through...

am very thankful this movie in crimson peak was brought to my attention !

good god man !

I had another F me moment ...the one where the door opens....

goodness ! I just discovered another genre of film 3D audio is amazing at

with that scene the ghostly goings on spookiness all around and above. things like the rumbles of thunder...creaks groans wow.

similarly scene setting e.g. the dance hall...where the atmosphere in the room is created so well with the reverb of the clapping and crowd and music in the room

Del toro is plain amazing in creating atmosphere and DTS-X as a medium used superbly...in one scene he uses the throbbing heart beat that sounds amazing with 3D audio well above. reminded me of pans labyrinth it came from behind using the rear speakers.

got upto half way point and wife came home, she'd been out at the shops...said she got to the front door...and wasnt sure whether to open the door as the house sounded possessed ! biggrin.png

it is a scene half way through the movie where there is a bit of a confrontation and the spookiness of the house, groans, creaks and some pretty amazingly spooky haunting creepy audio going on all around...look forward to getting back to it .... biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

What is 3d Audio is it like dolby atmos?

Hi sacd 3D audio is atmos, dts-X and auro3D

I had a bit of a movie fest over the last weekend :)

I decided to go back to Memphis belle...the story of the b17 Flying Fortress, goodness it's been can you believe 27 years since this movies release ? And the picture quality showed it. though looked reasonable for age, could well do with a restoration and hope they do one day. Great movie. Has to be one of my all time favourites :) audio wise I was surprised how well neural x worked to extract height info from the dts-Hdma track. Amazing with the the fighters buzzing over while in the bomber. And bombers passing over for instance when on the field.

Then followed with mission impossible rogue nation.... Good ness ! Shivers ! The scale that the atmos audio track adds :) a very enveloping experience for instance the opening scenes. I am continually being amazed here how much audio wise this adds to the experience.

We also watched the blu-ray of heart of the sea... Here is another showcase of another genre of film that atmos just benefits so much I found. On the high seas... The flapping of the sails above. All the atmospherics of being ship. When under water with the whales you are literally immersed.... Water lapping around with the sounds of the whalers above and all the effects going on all around. Blowing my mind audio wise this stuff !

• Like 1

And crowning glory for the weekend was watching Star Wars force awakens ! While only neural -X to extract height effects etc, this is a stunning 7.1 track not only in dynamics bloody hell there's some serious bass going on and then the brilliant visual experience. How good is this movie ! Great to see the series continuing since being a fan As a child :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Heya @@betty boop. As an FYI Roger Waters The Wall not only is a fantastic Blu Ray concert movie, the Aussie release has a hidden Atmos Track. Not labelled on the back but can confirm it is there.

When "another brick in the wall" is playing and the chopper flys overhead....awesome

Edited by simbot82
  • Like 1

Heya @@betty boop. As an FYI Roger Waters The Wall not only is a fantastic Blu Ray concert movie, the Aussie release has a hidden Atmos Track. Not labelled on the back but can confirm it is there.

When "another brick in the wall" is playing and the chopper flys overhead....awesome

@@simbot82 will check out for sure, thanks for the heads up. Be interesting to check out a concert in 3D audio.

Ps,reminds me I should check out some more of my favourite concerts too even if they don't have a native 3D audio track, but to see what post processing can do :)

• 3 weeks later...

wow ! didnt realise 10th year anniversary for Diva's went past last month ! 

was the very generous Geoff @@Tivoli Hi-Fi that very kindly let me home demo them all those years ago and as they say...all the rest is history :)

looking forward to many many more years with the Diva's

• Like 2